BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Need help, Question about steering on highway

04-23-2024, 04:30 PM   #1
DaMoose
Rep
Drives: GMC Denali, Chevy Corvette

Need help, Question about steering on highway

I recently picked up a 2022 X7 40i. I need help trying to figure out the steering. I notice the faster I drive, the heavier the steering wheel gets. And by the time I get to highway speeds 70-80mph, the steering feels almost too heavy. Is this normal? I can't help but think that something may be wrong with it. Around town and at lower speeds, the steering feels normal and is a non issue. But the faster the car is moving the more I notice the steering getting heavier or harder to turn the wheel. I haven't driven another X7, so nothing to compare it to. I have steering intervention turned off. Also, this is an issue regardless if in Comfort or Sport mode. Any help is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2024, 04:40 PM   #2
chitownx7
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5, 2011 550

Definitely not normal, highway speeds are just as easy to steer as slower speeds for me. A single finger can turn the wheel
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2024, 04:51 PM   #3
DaMoose
Rep
Drives: GMC Denali, Chevy Corvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownx7 View Post
Definitely not normal, highway speeds are just as easy to steer as slower speeds for me. A single finger can turn the wheel
Ok, good to know. Definitely gets heavier for me. Looks like a trip to the dealer is in my future.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2024, 12:00 PM   #4
Madsen203
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMoose View Post
Ok, good to know. Definitely gets heavier for me. Looks like a trip to the dealer is in my future.
It’s supposed to get heavier at higher speeds. “Adaptive steering” is the name of it.

I’m not familiar if you can change setting. It’s a very German thing to include as VW also have this.

The purpose is to prevent jerky steering at speed causing unbalance such as when you hit a bump mid turn at speed. It also gives the “sporty” feeling while driving faster, and at slow speeds, makes driving comfortable with lighter steering.

My bet it dealer will say it’s normal and working as intended. There will be some people, like yourself and myself, who notice this more explicitly, and others who hardly notice the change at increased speeds.
Appreciate 0