BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition Official Road Cycling Thread

07-11-2016, 01:30 PM   #155
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
Speaking of arrogance.

I wonder what kind of reception someone taking a 1995 Kia into their local BMW dealer and asking for an oil change.
Dealer wouldn't accept a Kia...or a Ferrari, or a Bugatti. But nice try at an analogy.
      07-11-2016, 01:37 PM   #156
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
3 years ago, I had this 1981 Motobecane, passed down to me from my dad. It was in poor shape and I invested almost nothing in keeping it in working condition. Don't get me wrong, I didn't abuse it, but I didn't upgrade the wheels or brakes or gearing, and everything was original, or aftermarket replacement parts from at least 1995. It was primarily used for commuting and I didn't want a bike that I would constantly sweat over it being stolen and I had to store it outside under a tarp.

When I finally needed brake service on the bike, I took it to my local shop and the arrogance they expressed to me was unbelievable. Almost as if "how dare you bring this POS into my shop" kind of treatment. I mean, biking is not my thing, it's a means to get from point A to point B. I don't need to show up at a shop with a $8k bike.

Question: Are all hardcore cyclists arrogant POS? Or it's just a bike shop thing?

But I guess I got him back when I passed the bus he was riding on in my M3...
Some of them are pretty wired. I think riding in groups tends to elevate the asshole in most cyclist. lol

But no, not all of them are. Probably goes with age a bit too. Young, strong, fast, bike shop employee, arrogant. Older, slower, accomplished, friendlier. haha

But seriously though, it's sometimes like gang mentality. Get them in a group and it's lord of the flies. Get one on one and most everyone is pretty cool.

Maybe luck of the draw or part of town your'e in. It's kind of weird though, because these days parts and bikes are cheaper on the web and bike maintenance and mechanic hours should becoming more of the LBS's income due to the wide, competitive availably of products.

Try another one next time.
      07-11-2016, 01:48 PM   #157
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
Some of them are pretty wired. I think riding in groups tends to elevate the asshole in most cyclist. lol

But no, not all of them are. Probably goes with age a bit too. Young, strong, fast, bike shop employee, arrogant. Older, slower, accomplished, friendlier. haha

But seriously though, it's sometimes like gang mentality. Get them in a group and it's lord of the flies. Get one on one and most everyone is pretty cool.

Maybe luck of the draw or part of town your'e in. It's kind of weird though, because these days parts and bikes are cheaper on the web and bike maintenance and mechanic hours should becoming more of the LBS's income due to the wide, competitive availably of products.

Try another one next time.

haha! speaking of which, you'll enjoy this story:
http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/S...ck-8328119.php

I actually found a fantastic solution. There was a local charity that worked on and sold used bikes and charged reasonable rates to customers. Their program offers work for kids during summer months to keep them off the streets. Basically, if a kid worked there all summer, he/she would learn how to fix up bikes and at the end of the program, earn a free bike (from the shops supplies/materials with which their bike would be rebuilt from).

When I moved away, I donated my said Motobecane to the shop. It's probably some kid's bike now, in much better operating condition.

http://www.phoenixbikes.org/about-us/
      07-11-2016, 02:00 PM   #158
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
haha! speaking of which, you'll enjoy this story:
http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/S...ck-8328119.php

I actually found a fantastic solution. There was a local charity that worked on and sold used bikes and charged reasonable rates to customers. Their program offers work for kids during summer months to keep them off the streets. Basically, if a kid worked there all summer, he/she would learn how to fix up bikes and at the end of the program, earn a free bike (from the shops supplies/materials with which their bike would be rebuilt from).

When I moved away, I donated my said Motobecane to the shop. It's probably some kid's bike now, in much better operating condition.

http://www.phoenixbikes.org/about-us/
Very cool!

Edit: Phoenix Bikes.... not the raging hipster. lol
      07-11-2016, 04:25 PM   #159
badluck
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Mend quickly!
cheers, already healing fast. Definitely not the best way to start getting into cycling. Going to be scared to put power down now in fear of the chain falling off haha.
      07-11-2016, 04:32 PM   #160
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Quote:
Dealer wouldn't accept a Kia...or a Ferrari, or a Bugatti. But nice try at an analogy.
And yet from the sounds of it you walked into a Porsche/BMW bike shop with your Yugo and simply expected service.

Eh. No matter. Like you said you're not a bike person, you couldn't have known. Motobecanes of that era tended to come in two flavors: just above junk, and the finest steel bedecked with the finest jewelry. From the sounds of the shop's reaction yours was the former. If it had been Campy encrusted the reaction would likely have been different.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2016, 04:45 PM   #161
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
And yet from the sounds of it you walked into a Porsche/BMW bike shop with your Yugo and simply expected service.

Eh. No matter. Like you said you're not a bike person, you couldn't have known. Motobecanes of that era tended to come in two flavors: just above junk, and the finest steel bedecked with the finest jewelry. From the sounds of the shop's reaction yours was the former. If it had been Campy encrusted the reaction would likely have been different.
again, no. A Porsche dealership isn't going to service my BMW.
      07-11-2016, 04:51 PM   #162
wdb
dances with roads
Rep

Quote:
again, no. A Porsche dealership isn't going to service my BMW.
And yet any bike shop services any bike, to your mind.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2016, 05:38 PM   #163
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
then maybe they should put up a sign that says "only XXX Brands accepted", yet they don't.
      07-11-2016, 07:20 PM   #164
MNoob
Grand Duke
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4CSL

Garage List
2024 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
2005 Lotus Elise  [10.00]
2023 BMW M4 CSL  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace
Quote:
then maybe they should put up a sign that says "only XXX Brands accepted", yet they don't.
I have a friend who owns a bike shop. He's had people bring in wheel barrows with flat tires. He smiles and fixes them. (Complains to me after).
      07-12-2016, 06:43 AM   #165
turbo_joe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 Coupe

Took my new bike out for the second time today and managed to cover 26 miles. Last time I only made it 20 miles. My legs were getting pretty sore by the end, need to build up my strength a bit. Slowly picking up the pace.

07-12-2016, 10:18 AM   #166
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_joe View Post
Took my new bike out for the second time today and managed to cover 26 miles. Last time I only made it 20 miles. My legs were getting pretty sore by the end, need to build up my strength a bit. Slowly picking up the pace.
Keep at it! Don't try and add too much at a time. Ease it up week by week. If you ride twice a week, just add 2 miles to each ride. Figure you're going to be out there for an additional 4 min or so with every mile you add, so plan your hydration and snacks accordingly.

What part of the country are you in?

I just started riding this past December and kept my long distance at 27 miles for a month or so. When my pace increased a bit, i increased mileage a bit. Once i got comfortable with a 35 mile distance, i started adding another longer ride on Saturdays.

07-12-2016, 03:03 PM   #167
turbo_joe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Keep at it! Don't try and add too much at a time. Ease it up week by week. If you ride twice a week, just add 2 miles to each ride. Figure you're going to be out there for an additional 4 min or so with every mile you add, so plan your hydration and snacks accordingly.

I just started riding this past December and kept my long distance at 27 miles for a month or so. When my pace increased a bit, i increased mileage a bit. Once i got comfortable with a 35 mile distance, i started adding another longer ride on Saturdays.
I am down in Southern Maryland. I also ride mtn bikes a little bit. Weather kind of sucks for riding this week. Its suppose to be 95+ for the rest of the week and really humid.
      07-12-2016, 03:10 PM   #168
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_joe
Quote:

I am down in Southern Maryland. I also ride mtn bikes a little bit. Weather kind of sucks for riding this week. Its suppose to be 95+ for the rest of the week and really humid.
No sympathy from me! Lol That's 60% humidity...... down from 95% earlier today.
Attached Images

07-13-2016, 02:09 PM   #169
dc503
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Froome all the way if he survives Week 1. He's a freak of nature made to win grand tours.
I may have become a slight Froome after today...and after his downhill attack last over the weekend.
      07-13-2016, 09:36 PM   #170
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

07-14-2016, 05:35 AM   #171
wdb
dances with roads
Rep

Froome attacks on a flat stage -- and rides away from his main competitors! Boggle. This is quite a Tour.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2016, 02:14 PM   #172
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Whacky, whacky finish.
      07-14-2016, 02:16 PM   #173
Rayscott
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 228ix

Crazy day today. Froome and 2 others crashed into the back of a camera cycle who had to stop suddenly because of the crazy crowd. No barriers to keep these maniacs back. Froome started running with out his bike until he got a new one. Total chaos trying to sort things out. The stage was shortened due to high winds on top of Mount Ventoux. Stay tuned.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2016, 02:52 PM   #174
Rayscott
Major
Rep

Quote:
As you know, the sram components have individual batteries with the derailleurs being rechargeable and the shifters using CR2032s. They claim 1000k for the rear derailleur, i think it was double that for the front which uses the same battery and they say a year or more of heavy riding for the shifters. The only remote capability is what they call blips, which on a road system plug into the shifters. (on a TT system, all the blips plug into a wireless stem mounted unit)

Aside from the wireless aspect, i think the largest difference is the shifting dynamic where as the upshift comes from clicking the right hand shifter and the down shift comes from clicking the left hand shifter. Not unlike DCT or any real sports car paddle shifting set up. To shift the front derailleur is more like F1 neutral selection, where you click both right and left simultaneously to initiate a change. The same input initiates the up and down shift.

This initially had me looking more at Di2, but the more reviews i watch and read the more i'm being swayed towards the sram interface. Most who have tried it claim that it's very intuitive and after just a short time testing the system, they find themselves using their left shifter to down shift when they get back on their manual system that they've been riding with their whole life.

I don't have internal cabling on my bike, so not having to run wires in their place is an added bonus. Loosing 50% of my cables is quite appealing.

Expanding bike computer compatibility with eTap is something i would be looking forward to via firmware updates. I would very much like to have my gear selection viewable on my computer, but i don't want to have to buy an Edge 1000 to do it. I currently use a Fenix 3 and i'm happy with it. I use it as an every day watch which means i never forget my bike computer.

The fact that the short RED derailleur cage is limited to a 28t sprocket had me concerned because i'm currently using an 11-32 cassette. I know, i know... what the hell am i doing with an 11-32 in FL. Well, my bike came with it and i've stuck with it due to hill training and because the Montana tour i'm doing in the last week of July has about 21,000 of climbing in 5 days. So far, in my 7 month cycling career i've ascended only 30,000. I figured i'd be needing that 32t sprocket quite a bit since the elevation on the trip will be between 3000k and 6500k each day. But.... yesterday i stayed out of my 32t and ended up feeling fantastic after 61 miles and 2700ft. On top of that i only used my small ring for 4 climbs. I'm still trying to convince myself that 11-28 will be just fine for Montana.
I got Di2 and love it. I am a Shimano fan and I got a 11-32 when I rode in my 3rd George Hincapie Grand Fondo in North Carolina. No issues and the extra teeth made a difference. I was the 2nd oldest doing the ride (72)
Appreciate 1
      07-14-2016, 03:06 PM   #175
Rayscott
Major
Rep

Froome is still the overall leader. Rightfully so, the crowd caused the crash.
Appreciate 1
      07-14-2016, 06:34 PM   #176
MNoob
Grand Duke
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4CSL

Garage List
2024 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
2005 Lotus Elise  [10.00]
2023 BMW M4 CSL  [10.00]
Tour de Fiasco