BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum M60i or 40i?

10-12-2022, 10:58 PM   #23
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X7;X5;S-Class;Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by baca8302 View Post
I drove both a M60 and 40i tonight, and I am trying to decide between the two. I ordered a M60 that was finally released to me today (after 38 days in QC) and the Stop Sale. I've already asked for another allocation and mostly decided on ordering a new one (as my car appears to have been worked on while in QC).

I drove "my" M60, then asked to drive the Demo 40i for fun. Quite honestly, I like the 40i more for the following reasons:

1. The 40i has much smoother power delivery. In stop and go traffic, the V8 isn't nearly as smooth off the line nor as linear in its power delivery.
2. The fake exhaust sounds seem too much to me and more than in the 2022 M50. In comfort mode, it seemed too much for day to day driving and was a bit annoyed by it. In sport mode, I thought the fake exhaust overruns were too much, and the "thump" it puts through the subwoofer when it shifts is just odd. First time I heard it I thought something fell over in the back.
3. The M60 feels heavy and not as dialed in as the M50 did to me. For 2023 the 40i suspension has been refined an is much less floaty than in 2022.

In summary, I feel like the LCI for 40i took several steps forward (smoother power and much more refined suspension tuning) and the M60 a few steps back (feels heavy and the engine isn't as linear). While it wasn't something I was thinking about, I may reorder a 40i instead.
Where both vehicles identical spec wise?
Did they have same rim/wheel size?
Were they both at the same air pressure?
The most important question: for how long did you drive each of the two vehicles before you came up with this conclusion? 5-15min spin? 1 hour each? A day? or days?

Last question, did you actually also owned or drove the X7 pre-LCI, since you are saying the M60i took a step back now? Or did you have an X5? I am not trying to discredit your conclusion, but I just want to see what data points did you have to conclude that the M60i took several steps backward now, or that the 40i did the opposite.

To make a statement that the 40i took several steps forward while the M60i did exactly the opposite sounds to me a bit exaggerated, or perhaps based on a quick test-drive spin with emotions involved wherein you hated your ordered vehicle because it was worked on. Sorry, but I think there is something missing. But, you know, to each his own opinion so you could be right too. I drove both LCIs, and I didn’t feel much difference between the 40i or M60i now and how they were before the refresh, both remained equally good compared to how they were for the pre-lci, with the exception that I didn’t like the mild hybrid shutting off early and jerking while vehicle is slowly stopping on a traffic light or stop sign. Other than that, I found that both vehicle successfully maintained their driving comfort and quality, but am not sure why you noticed that the M60i took a few steps backward.

Last edited by BMW5and7; 10-12-2022 at 11:07 PM..
Appreciate 2
      10-12-2022, 11:06 PM   #24
3to5toX5toX7
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 528

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW5and7 View Post
Where both vehicles identical spec wise?
Did they have same rim/wheel size?
Were they both at the same air pressure?
The most important question: for how long did you drive each of the two vehicles before you came up with this conclusion? 5-15min spin? 1 hour each? A day? or days?

To make a statement that the 40i took several steps forward while the M60i did exactly the opposite sounds to me a bit exaggerated, or perhaps based on a quick test-drive spin with emotions involved wherein you hated your ordered vehicle because it was worked on. Sorry, but I think there is something missing. I don’t agree with you, but to each his own opinion.
-Both where 21 inch rims.
-I did check tire pressure on both and adjusted (first thing I did) as the dealer seems to always have them set 10 pounds over the recommended.
-Drove the M60 twice, once for about 40 minutes. Then drove the 40i for about 30 minutes, then drove the M60 again for about 10 minutes.
-The 40i did not have DHP, so as it related to mechanicals that is a difference in spec. Other spec difference are cosmetic (Iordered Merino and the 40i has sensifin). The 40i definitely felt down market in comparison (cloth headliner, etc).
-As for emotion, my plan was to reorder another M60 (all options), but I am now debating the 40i. I would drive both again this week before making a decision and ordering again. I won't make the decision based on the cost difference of the engine (and likely not being able to order DHP).
Appreciate 1
alic9613.50
      10-12-2022, 11:10 PM   #25
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
-Both where 21 inch rims.
-I did check tire pressure on both and adjusted (first thing I did) as the dealer seems to always have them set 10 pounds over the recommended.
-Drove the M60 twice, once for about 40 minutes. Then drove the 40i for about 30 minutes, then drove the M60 again for about 10 minutes.
-The 40i did not have DHP, so as it related to mechanicals that is a difference in spec. Other spec difference are cosmetic (Iordered Merino and the 40i has sensifin). The 40i definitely felt down market in comparison (cloth headliner, etc).
-As for emotion, my plan was to reorder another M60 (all options), but I am now debating the 40i. I would drive both again this week before making a decision and ordering again. I won't make the decision based on the cost difference of the engine (and likely not being able to order DHP).
I find it to be really interesting that you think the comfort of 40i that does NOT have DHP is better than the M60I with DHP. I am afraid that something has skewed your test drive experience, and if I were you, I’d test another M60i before I am fully convinced that the 40i even without DHP drives better than M60i. Just my opinion.
Appreciate 1
alic9613.50
      10-12-2022, 11:18 PM   #26
3to5toX5toX7
Private
Rep

Quote:
I find it to be really interesting that you think the comfort of 40i that does NOT have DHP is better than the M60I with DHP. I am afraid that something has skewed your test drive experience, and if I were you, I’d test another M60i before I am fully convinced that the 40i even without DHP drives better than M60i. Just my opinion.
I think you misunderstood my comments. From a pure ride comfort perspective, they are about the same. My comments are comparing what I observed in pre-LCI vs now are around power delivery and ride refinement (body control, etc). Let me try to clarify.

-Earlier this year I test drove a 2022 40i (without DHP) and a M50 with DHP. The 40i was floaty and felt a bit underpowered. The M50 felt fantastic in every way. The suspension was dialed in and the power was very smooth and linear.
-Today I drove a 2023 M60 and 40i. The new engine felt "lumpy" on take off with mild hybrid system and not as linear off the line. The car rode great, but it felt heavy and not as controlled as the 2022 50i. The 40i had very linear power delivery. The ride refinement was much better than the 2022 and had very little float.

It's possible driving another M60 would change my mind, and I hope I have that option before making a decision.
Appreciate 1
alic9613.50
      10-12-2022, 11:22 PM   #27
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I think you misunderstood my comments. From a pure ride comfort perspective, they are about the same. My comments are comparing what I observed in pre-LCI vs now are around power delivery and ride refinement (body control, etc). Let me try to clarify.

-Earlier this year I test drove a 2022 40i (without DHP) and a M50 with DHP. The 40i was floaty and felt a bit underpowered. The M50 felt fantastic in every way. The suspension was dialed in and the power was very smooth and linear.
-Today I drove a 2023 M60 and 40i. The new engine felt "lumpy" on take off with mild hybrid system and not as linear off the line. The car rode great, but it felt heavy and not as controlled as the 2022 50i. The 40i had very linear power delivery. The ride refinement was much better than the 2022 and had very little float.

It's possible driving another M60 would change my mind, and I hope I have that option before making a decision.
So what you are saying: The LCI M60i took a step backward compared to pre LCI, while the 40i LCI took a step forward compared to the 40i pre LCI, is that what you meant?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2022, 11:24 PM   #28
3to5toX5toX7
Private
Rep

Quote:
So what you are saying. The LCI M60i took a step backward compared to pre LCI, while the 40i LCI took a step forward compared to the 40i pre LCI, is that what you meant?
Correct. Those are my initial observations. However, with the amount of time I have invested in test driving every option available, checking this board every day, and waiting for my car I plan to spend more time driving both before making a decision. As a side note, an iX keep creeping back into my mind as while ugly, its an amazing car. Not sure many people cross shop an iX and X7, but I have.
Appreciate 2
Al Pină1839.50
alic9613.50
      10-12-2022, 11:26 PM   #29
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Correct. Those are my initial observations. However, with the amount of time I have invested in test driving every option available, checking this board every day, and waiting for my car I plan to spend more time driving both before making a decision. As a side note, an iX keep creeping back into my mind as while ugly, its an amazing car. Not sure many people cross shop an iX and X7, but I have.
Interesting. Sounds like your dealer is very generous allowing you a 40min+ Test drive on a zero mile vehicle that you didn’t buy. I would test another M60i if you can ever get a test drive using another one. Good luck with your purchase. I still think DHP is a big deal and I think any of the two trims with DHP would drive better than the one without DHP.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2022, 11:30 PM   #30
3to5toX5toX7
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Interesting. Sounds like your dealer is very generous allowing you a 40min+ Test drive on a zero mile vehicle that you didn’t buy. I would test another M60i if you can ever get a test drive using another one. Good luck with your purchase. I still think DHP is a big deal and I think any of the two trims with DHP would drive better than the one without DHP.
Probably is generous, but I've had a deposit on the car for 4 months and they know I am likely not taking it after it sat in QC so long without a longer test drive. As for the 40i, it's their demo model so they don't really care.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2022, 07:29 AM   #31
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Quote:
I drove both a M60 and 40i tonight, and I am trying to decide between the two. I ordered a M60 that was finally released to me today (after 38 days in QC) and the Stop Sale. I've already asked for another allocation and mostly decided on ordering a new one (as my car appears to have been worked on while in QC).

I drove "my" M60, then asked to drive the Demo 40i for fun. Quite honestly, I like the 40i more for the following reasons:

1. The 40i has much smoother power delivery. In stop and go traffic, the V8 isn't nearly as smooth off the line nor as linear in its power delivery.
2. The fake exhaust sounds seem too much to me and more than in the 2022 M50. In comfort mode, it seemed too much for day to day driving and was a bit annoyed by it. In sport mode, I thought the fake exhaust overruns were too much, and the "thump" it puts through the subwoofer when it shifts is just odd. First time I heard it I thought something fell over in the back.
3. The M60 feels heavy and not as dialed in as the M50 did to me. For 2023 the 40i suspension has been refined an is much less floaty than in 2022.

In summary, I feel like the LCI for 40i took several steps forward (smoother power and much more refined suspension tuning) and the M60 a few steps back (feels heavy and the engine isn't as linear). While it wasn't something I was thinking about, I may reorder a 40i instead.
Unless I'm misunderstanding, that "thump" sound when the car changes gears isn't actually coming from the speakers or sub. That's the actual sound of the gear shift under heavy acceleration. Any fast shifting automatic will exhibit the same sound, whether it's the ZF 8 spd in our Bimmers or the DCT in Porsche or the 9spd auto in Mercedes. If you've ever heard one of the performance cars from any of the luxury brands (or basically any car that uses a fast shifting automatic transmission like the ZF 8spd) accelerate hard, the "thump" sound is even more prevalent outside the car.

The noise you hear is due to the engine being de-throttled during the gear change and the exhaust gasses cavitating in the exhaust pipe system. You hear it more in the M60i than you do in the 40i because of the more aggressive tuning in the M60i (and you WILL hear it even in the 40i in sport mode under WOT).

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2022, 07:33 AM   #32
3to5toX5toX7
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
Unless I'm misunderstanding, that "thump" sound when the car changes gears isn't actually coming from the speakers or sub. That's the actual sound of the gear shift under heavy acceleration. Any fast shifting automatic will exhibit the same sound, whether it's the ZF 8 spd in our Bimmers or the DCT in Porsche or the 9spd auto in Mercedes. If you've ever heard one of the performance cars from any of the luxury brands (or basically any car that uses a fast shifting automatic transmission like the ZF 8spd) accelerate hard, the "thump" sound is even more prevalent outside the car.

The noise you hear is due to the engine being de-throttled during the gear change and the exhaust gasses cavitating in the exhaust pipe system. You hear it more in the M60i than you do in the 40i because of the more aggressive tuning in the M60i (and you WILL hear it even in the 40i in sport mode under WOT).
That's possible, but it doesn't sound natural. This was observed with about 75% throttle and keeping in mind the car only has 20 miles on it so the full RPM range is locked. As for the 40i, correct that it doesn't have any of this as I don't think the 40i has fake exhaust sounds.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2022, 07:37 AM   #33
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Quote:
That's possible, but it doesn't sound natural. This was observed with about 75% throttle and keeping in mind the car only has 20 miles on it so the full RPM range is locked. As for the 40i, correct that it doesn't have any of this as I don't think the 40i has fake exhaust sounds.
Even at 75% throttle you will hear it. My 40i also has the same sound under hard acceleration in sport mode. It's not fake, it's actual mechanical sound coming from the transmission - as I said - any fast shifting automatic will exhibit the same sound and it's actually louder outside the car than inside.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2022, 07:42 AM   #34
3to5toX5toX7
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
Even at 75% throttle you will hear it. My 40i also has the same sound under hard acceleration in sport mode. It's not fake, it's actual mechanical sound coming from the transmission - as I said - any fast shifting automatic will exhibit the same sound and it's actually louder outside the car than inside.
Maybe I will see if I can video it as if its truly a mechanical sound, I would think something is wrong with the car. Hopefully I can drive another M60. As a side note, part of me not wanting this M60 is the rumors heard more than once (although I haven't believed them) that the cars stuck in QC for a long time were missing transmissions. This would make me more concerned that it wasn't put together perfectly.
Appreciate 1
alic9613.50
      10-13-2022, 08:21 AM   #35
crackerjack15
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Quote:
I'll throw in my opinion on DHP just so people have another perspective. I don't think it's a big deal to have sway bars that try to keep the vehicle from leaning, unless you must have the "feeling" of not leaning. I've driven both and could care less that the car leans a little into a turn. Once the non dhp vehicle leans over a little it's all tires after that anyhow. It's not like they are quoting increased skid pad figures. Put them both on a track and I bet I'm all over the bumper of the dhp model. Yes, I know there is more too it than simply the swaybars. It's simply unnecessary stuff to me. IMHO. My other car makes over 1100 hp, so both X7 are slow to me.
Appreciate 2
themama72.50
alic9613.50
      10-13-2022, 12:02 PM   #36
Al Pină
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

Quote:
Quote:

So what you are saying: The LCI M60i took a step backward compared to pre LCI, while the 40i LCI took a step forward compared to the 40i pre LCI, is that what you meant?
This makes total sense as the 40i received a huuuge bump in power and torque over the outgoing model, while the only thing the M60 gained was the additional weight and complexity of the mild hybrid system.

The abysmal 0-60 times are proof that the highly detuned S63 you now get may not more potent than the pre-LCI N63.
      10-13-2022, 09:02 PM   #37
3to5toX5toX7
Private
Rep

Quote:

Updating my opinion from yesterday...and this is just one man's opinion.

-The M60 I ordered was Skyscraper Gray with Coffee Merino. It spent a lot of time in QC, and there are subtle signs the car has been worked on. I had written this one off, but it was the basis of my observations last night.
-The dealer had another M60 that was released today as the owner didn't want it, so I had a chance to drive it as I was considering changing to this car. Not a combination I would have ordered, but gorgeous. Tanzanite Blue, Atlas/Ivory, and the 22" rims.

Observations

- The sounds I was hearing from the exhaust and the thumping is from the fake exhaust noise. It can be turned off under "Dynamic Sounds" in iDrive. With this turned off, the car sounded how I expected. Additionally, it's weird but it sounds much louder in the Skyscraper car with both Dynamic Sounds turned on or off.
-The Tanzanite car drives better. It feels more stable and like there is less play in the steering. Perhaps this is due to the 22" rims? Not sure, but we both agreed its different.
-I drove the 40i again, and I think the Tanzanite M60 is a better car.

In the end, I am probably going to take the Tanzanite one tomorrow. The car is stunning and it went though QC in a day according to the records. Hope this helps.
Appreciate 1
alic9613.50
      10-13-2022, 09:22 PM   #38
Tr4ckD4ys
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 X7 M50i / TBii / Tartufo

I think the excitement you get from the additional power & prestige of the M60i will wear off quicker than the excitement you get from the 40i for having made a rational vehicle choice. I am also quite in disagreement with the assessment of the earlier poster here. Most stated reasons from anybody choosing M60i over 40i are subjective and opinionated. I'm an M50i owner and I regret not going for the 40i (if both vehicles were identically equipped), because of the above excitement curve.

Not a money thing or prestige thing. Just plainly a question of is the M60i even a reasonable choice at all considering the power bump the 40i got in the LCI? LCI M60i is slower than pre-LCI M50i and it drives worse given extra weight. In addition, in 1-2 years the next M60i S68 will likely have 50-100hp more than the current LCI one (given it came out so heavily detuned), making the early M60i LCI cars less desirable on the used car market. So even the "oh I want the power & prestige" argument will hold for 12 months at best. Outside of HP & weight, specs are identical. Why waste money on something that's outdated quicker than its pre-LCI brother and also slower?
      10-13-2022, 10:15 PM   #39
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr4ckD4ys View Post
I think the excitement you get from the additional power & prestige of the M60i will wear off quicker than the excitement you get from the 40i for having made a rational vehicle choice. I am also quite in disagreement with the assessment of the earlier poster here. Most stated reasons from anybody choosing M60i over 40i are subjective and opinionated. I'm an M50i owner and I regret not going for the 40i (if both vehicles were identically equipped), because of the above excitement curve.

Not a money thing or prestige thing. Just plainly a question of is the M60i even a reasonable choice at all considering the power bump the 40i got in the LCI? LCI M60i is slower than pre-LCI M50i and it drives worse given extra weight. In addition, in 1-2 years the next M60i S68 will likely have 50-100hp more than the current LCI one (given it came out so heavily detuned), making the early M60i LCI cars less desirable on the used car market. So even the "oh I want the power & prestige" argument will hold for 12 months at best. Outside of HP & weight, specs are identical. Why waste money on something that's outdated quicker than its pre-LCI brother and also slower?
Where are you getting the info or maybe leaks that BMW is planning to release a refreshed engine on the X7 with 100 more hps?!
The argument that M60i will get outdated quicker than the 40i is not reasonable at all. Historically, the M50 on the X7, and same for X5, has always held it’s price and competition and prestige much better than the 40i. They are hard to get in the pre-owned market, prices much higher with less depreciation % than 40i, sells much faster, and way easier to trade in for what u ask for (those are facts from current and previous market data, not projections, or personal opinion).
Appreciate 2
BMWX735.50
alic9613.50
      10-14-2022, 04:43 AM   #40
BMWX7
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 M60i, 911 4S

I walked into the dealership to buy a 40i. I walked out with a m60i order. Driving the V8 simply made me smile. To each their own as this is all subjective…
Appreciate 1
themama72.50
      10-14-2022, 07:26 AM   #41
Tr4ckD4ys
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Where are you getting the info or maybe leaks that BMW is planning to release a refreshed engine on the X7 with 100 more hps?!
The argument that M60i will get outdated quicker than the 40i is not reasonable at all. Historically, the M50 on the X7, and same for X5, has always held it's price and competition and prestige much better than the 40i. They are hard to get in the pre-owned market, prices much higher with less depreciation % than 40i, sells much faster, and way easier to trade in for what u ask for (those are facts from current and previous market data, not projections, or personal opinion).
Well, I'm not going to debate your facts with you around what sells faster or better or depreciates less. I haven't done extensive research on cars.com with data behind which car sticks around longer and sells closer to MSRP. But I also don't think it's as simple as you are trying to make it sound. There's another "fact" you didn't state at all which is that way more 40i's sell on the used car market than M-versions. So if you factor in supply to balance those "facts" not sure if the difference is all that large that it would be a deciding factor during purchase (given you're guaranteed to sell either vehicle at a solid price anyway).

Anyway, I never said that BMW is "refreshing" the engine in a year. My argument with regards to the early LCI M60i is that it has a brand new V8 engine that came to the exact HP tune as the outgoing V8. At the same time, the newer M/Alpina vehicles with the same V8 engine have received an increase in HP (XM, XB7) compared to their predecessors (if exists). So the gap grew there, and that's the gap BMW will fill over the years with renewed tunes. Hell, the 40i engine got a 35hp bump although that one is identical to the pre-LCI. BMW artificially kept the HP number low on the M60i. The engine itself can easily push a ton more power out. And just like with every car BMW has launched, they do increase the engine HP over time via simply offering a different tune (see pre-LCI 40i and post). I'd actually bet that someone at BMW has already a 5 year roadmap of M60i changes on his desk.

Chances are very high that the current M60i will soon (1-2 years) be "outdated" in terms of HP/TQ. When that happens, the used car market for early LCI M60i cars will not hold up as strong as you say, because people will be wanting to buy the higher end M60i; Leave alone that these vehicles will also come with the upgraded self driving tech that the earlier LCI didn't get yet plus all the early version gremlins.

To me, the X7 M60i LCI is a great example of what many people always say: It does not make sense to be the early mover on a new vehicle gen, just to jump on the bandwagon. From a vehicle perspective, there's lots that BMW will throw at it even for 2024/2025 model year already. So yeah, opting for an M60i right now does not seem to be smart IF it is just because of the "smile on your face" or "power & prestige" argument. I feel bad for folks who buy this car right now based on this argument because it simply is a very short-lived one.

Who knows maybe those pre-LCI M50i's will sell even better than the early LCI M60i's, given there's quite a few other things they still have that are gone on the LCI (including the subjective design preference).
Al Pină1839.50
alic9613.50
      10-14-2022, 07:35 AM   #42
Tr4ckD4ys
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWX7 View Post
I walked into the dealership to buy a 40i. I walked out with a m60i order. Driving the V8 simply made me smile. To each their own as this is all subjective…
Subjective doesn't mean irrational though. I'd reconsider waiting a year to acquire an X7 if it has to be the M60i.
alic9613.50
      10-15-2022, 03:35 AM   #43
coolhandshin
Private
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '08 528i, '11 650i Conv.

Quote:
Well, I'm not going to debate your facts with you around what sells faster or better or depreciates less. I haven't done extensive research on cars.com with data behind which car sticks around longer and sells closer to MSRP. But I also don't think it's as simple as you are trying to make it sound. There's another "fact" you didn't state at all which is that way more 40i's sell on the used car market than M-versions. So if you factor in supply to balance those "facts" not sure if the difference is all that large that it would be a deciding factor during purchase (given you're guaranteed to sell either vehicle at a solid price anyway).

Anyway, I never said that BMW is "refreshing" the engine in a year. My argument with regards to the early LCI M60i is that it has a brand new V8 engine that came to the exact HP tune as the outgoing V8. At the same time, the newer M/Alpina vehicles with the same V8 engine have received an increase in HP (XM, XB7) compared to their predecessors (if exists). So the gap grew there, and that's the gap BMW will fill over the years with renewed tunes. Hell, the 40i engine got a 35hp bump although that one is identical to the pre-LCI. BMW artificially kept the HP number low on the M60i. The engine itself can easily push a ton more power out. And just like with every car BMW has launched, they do increase the engine HP over time via simply offering a different tune (see pre-LCI 40i and post). I'd actually bet that someone at BMW has already a 5 year roadmap of M60i changes on his desk.

Chances are very high that the current M60i will soon (1-2 years) be "outdated" in terms of HP/TQ. When that happens, the used car market for early LCI M60i cars will not hold up as strong as you say, because people will be wanting to buy the higher end M60i; Leave alone that these vehicles will also come with the upgraded self driving tech that the earlier LCI didn't get yet plus all the early version gremlins.

To me, the X7 M60i LCI is a great example of what many people always say: It does not make sense to be the early mover on a new vehicle gen, just to jump on the bandwagon. From a vehicle perspective, there's lots that BMW will throw at it even for 2024/2025 model year already. So yeah, opting for an M60i right now does not seem to be smart IF it is just because of the "smile on your face" or "power & prestige" argument. I feel bad for folks who buy this car right now based on this argument because it simply is a very short-lived one.

Who knows maybe those pre-LCI M50i's will sell even better than the early LCI M60i's, given there's quite a few other things they still have that are gone on the LCI (including the subjective design preference).
All engines get hp upgrades, even 40i had it. Of course M60i will get it's minor update sooner or later. No reason to discredit or avoid it. And it won't be a 100hp increase, rather ~30-40 max. It's not an X7M.

Pre-LCI M50i will never sell better than M60i. Hey, its cars; M50i is just an old and outdated car now and the new car on the block is the M60i with a fresh face and new technologies. Performance will no doubt be better as its upgraded naming suggest.

And I agree, putting a smile on your face is all you need really. We buy expensive cars on passion, not on logic!
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2022, 06:22 AM   #44
ComingInHot
Newish
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolhandshin View Post
Performance will no doubt be better as its upgraded naming suggest.
FYI, that statement isn't true, BMW even explained it in a post, the change was to align the number with other models/series.

Eventually they will upgrade the M60i because they have to keep interest up for the next few years as they end this generation X7… but for now the higher number doesn't equate to better. Weirdly it may actually be slower than the outgoing M50i from drag times seen so far but it won't stay like that for long as they will bump the power up to give you guys a reason to keep upgrading
Appreciate 0