BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum BMW X7 testing using modified 7 Series prototype

02-17-2015, 09:00 AM   #67
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

With a vehicle of that size, truth be told that's about all that does matter. There's just this stigma neurotic white women have about wagons and Minivans that stops men buying them.

Truth be told who cares? You made three people, just ride it out and but a sports car when you're 50.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 01:05 PM   #68
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti
With a vehicle of that size, truth be told that's about all that does matter. There's just this stigma neurotic white women have about wagons and Minivans that stops men buying them.

Truth be told who cares? You made three people, just ride it out and but a sports car when you're 50.
Lol agreed, to a point. Luckily, I have only made 2. To be fair and honest, I have always said, 3 kids is minivan territory. I think 3rd rows are only asinine in cars as small or smaller than an X5, since they're so limited in their use. I've seen bigger cars function well with them and still be preferable to many over a minivan. But nothing is as versatile when you need that much space as a minivan.

All comes back to the sacrifices we're willing to make, or not make. As such, the X7 has a place, same as the GL, Q7, same as the suburbans, sequioa's, etc. Whether it be that stigma you mentioned or simply a preference for something that either drives better, looks better, or both, the plethora of other options for large families works well for far too many people to consider them anything less than valid options. At one point, I would have added snow performance to that list, but I think modern minivans have gotten better in that area, at least those available with AWD, I am assuming. I'm sure there are plenty of families that would add towing capabilities and ground clearance as reasons to go with a big SUV over a minivan too… So I come back to, if you need or want an SUV, but need one bigger than an X5 and still favor driving dynamics, why not an X7…..

Last edited by chrisny; 02-17-2015 at 01:17 PM..
Appreciate 1
      02-17-2015, 02:27 PM   #69
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako
so I am guessing people interested in this have 3+ kids? I have a 4 and 6 year old and can't see needing more space than the X3 provides. I guess if I had 3-4 kids the X5 would be a little cramped (little trunk space when using all seats).
If you have 2 or less kids, why would you need something this size?
This is very short sighted.

When your kids are older you will figure things out. Do you have a daughter ? Just wait til you start hosting sleepovers for birthdays and suddenly you and your spouse are trying to fit eight kids along with you and your spouse into two vehicles to go to dinner or to a movie. Sure.. you could make two trips (perhaps Three trips with your X3?) but who's gonna watch the kids at the house and at the theater at the same time? Apparently you also should take a trip to a local park and check out all the minivans and SUVs and watch mothers and fathers carpooling kids and equipment to soccer, football, or baseball practice. My god... why would these people actually need something bigger than an X3 ?

When I was married I had ONE child and I can't tell you how many times I ended up shuttling around more than my spouse , daughter and two additional kids. We even took a week long trip once with another family. 3 kids and 4 adults.. 350 miles each way to Branson Mo from Dallas TX with all the gear for everyone *inside* the vehicle. No F-ing way that can be done with an X5.

I've owned two expeditions ( gen 1 and gen 2), both with a 3rd row seat and they have both been invaluable, particularly the second with the power folding rear seats which i keep DOWN when not in use so as not to affect rear visibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti
Minivans are a much, much better solution though, and yes I have kids. 3 row SUV's are asinine at best, they make zero sense over a decent minivan.
Asinine.. wow! Sure a minivan has a good amount of flexibility for passengers (in truth it's certainly better for every day ingress/egress for passsengers ) and you might be able to tow a light boat... but sorry.. an SUV trumps a minivan when it comes to towing. A 4 dr pickup is great for towing and carrying 2-5 people but can never seat 7 legally, and certainly not store luggage for more than 1 or two people without having to use the bed.

Show me a minivan that will tow a BMW race car on an trailer ... until then... you resemble your accusation..
While I may not have needed to fit 6 people on my way to the track... (I could have).. even if I just towed my car to the track, and then dropped the trailer and unloaded all my gear... guess what happens when 7 guys want to go leave the track for some dinner or night life? My seven seat SUV ends up being the first vehicle to be claimed!

Pretty amazing that you folks can't imagine/totally discount scenarios other than your own (current) household..

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny
All comes back to the sacrifices we're willing to make, or not make. As such, the X7 has a place, same as the GL, Q7, same as the suburbans, sequioa's, etc. Whether it be that stigma you mentioned or simply a preference for something that either drives better, looks better, or both, the plethora of other options for large families works well for far too many people to consider them anything less than valid options. At one point, I would have added snow performance to that list, but I think modern minivans have gotten better in that area, at least those available with AWD, I am assuming. I'm sure there are plenty of families that would add towing capabilities and ground clearance as reasons to go with a big SUV over a minivan too… So I come back to, if you need or want an SUV, but need one bigger than an X5 and still favor driving dynamics, why not an X7…..

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 02-17-2015 at 03:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 04:18 PM   #70
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Simple solution - don't have kids and get what you really want to drive.

In all seriousness though, I understand the market exists for these types of vehicles, but it doesn't change the fact that ALL of them are pretty ridiculous and revolting.

Yes, the driving dynamics of your X7 might be better than an Expedition...but who cares on some level? They're both small buses.

The funny thing is that I can't see this kind of car working in many environments - I travel internationally for work a decent amount, and most of the places I have been in Europe and Central/South America have Golfs or Focuses with 5 full sized adults in them on a daily basis...good thing they're going to be built here in the US.
      02-17-2015, 04:30 PM   #71
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25

In all seriousness though, I understand the market exists for these types of vehicles, but it doesn't change the fact that ALL of them are pretty ridiculous and revolting.

Yes, the driving dynamics of your X7 might be better than an Expedition...but who cares on some level? They're both small buses.

The funny thing is that I can't see this kind of car working in many environments - I travel internationally for work a decent amount, and most of the places I have been in Europe and Central/South America have Golfs or Focuses with 5 full sized adults in them on a daily basis...good thing they're going to be built here in the US.
Yeah, I mean when I was in Rome a few years back, I recall thinking every 3 series I saw (e90 at that point) looked massive by comparison to everything else on the street. Someone addressed that earlier in this thread I believe, X7 won't work for all markets, just like anything bigger than a clown car won't for some lol
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 07:52 PM   #72
Dan Brown
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 Mineral White 228ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Ummmm... ok? My wife hates minivans... does that mean she's white? or neurotic? or both?

BTW: the reason she hates minivans is because our X5 is WAY f'ing cooler!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 11:55 PM   #73
Eddien123
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335 6MT

Very interested to see what this things going to look like.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 06:54 AM   #74
heart_doctor
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billup
Hmmmm, even with the weights on the roof, I don't really see it as an SAV. Nice work on the camo I guess, lol.

Either way...., I don't see this as being much of an improvement for the brand. Time will tell.
It's a 7 series body on the x7 drivetrain.
      02-18-2015, 10:51 AM   #75
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25

Agree that this vehicle is only going to work in a few markets. Mainly the U.S. and I bet it will sell in China huge.

A BMW X is a better vehicle in every way, on every single day you own it than a Tahoe or Expedition or Yukon Denali. Better driving position. Lower center of gravity. More car like feel. Better acceleration. Better build quality. Less depreciation. Better resale value. Etc etc etc.

It's not just Driving dynamics but also the fact that it IS A BMW. If a BMW car feels better and is more enjoyable vehicle overall than most other cars on the road then certainly one can understand that a BMW SAV/SUV is better than most other SUVs on the road.

I was at Eagles Canyon Raceway a few weeks back and in the novice class, a fellow in an x5M was giving the business to all the cars in the novice group including an E90M3. While it was taller, it certainly didn't look out of place and the E90 driver had to hustle to not be passed.

Pretty cool that the driver of the x5m could then head home and call his family on the way and tell them to be ready for him to pick them up and go straight to dinner.

Let's see this happen in a minivan !
Appreciate 1
      02-18-2015, 01:07 PM   #76
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

[/I]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matski

The X7 is really going to have to up the game if the X5 will come as a 7 seat X5L....
Ask and ye shall receive ? This is from Auto week today.

" A Rolls-Royce Motor Cars press release hit our inboxes last night saying that after the Phantom, Ghost and Wraith, the company has reached another seminal moment in Rolls-Royce™s 111-year journey. Today we confirm that we are developing an all-new Rolls-Royce with exceptional presence, elegance and purpose: A car that offers the luxury of a Rolls-Royce in a vehicle that can cross any terrain ... a high-bodied car, with an all-new aluminium architecture.

The new Rolls is being developed on BMWs™s X7 luxury ute. As we reported last year, the X7 is the largest SUV BMW has ever produced, offering seating for up to seven in three rows of seats. X7 production starts in 2016 at BMWs Spartanburg plant in South Carolina. Hmmm, wonder if the Rolls is coming out of Spartanburg? Nah.

Rolls says it's doing the ute because customers have urged us to develop this new car - and we have listened. Design boss Giles Taylor is designing it, and Rolls could pick from any number of BMW engines. We want that 6.6-liter V12, dammit. Nothing less will do. "

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 02-18-2015 at 03:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2015, 04:14 AM   #77
m_alnimah
Lieutenant
Qatar
Rep
Drives: 2016 Mini Cooper S 5 Door

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sq86
Nice photos Dackelone. No interior shots?

Kind of looks like a raised minivan to me. I know there's a lot of camo though still.
As if the new Q7 doesn't seem like a raised minivan
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2015, 04:59 PM   #78
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

The Rolls-Royce SUV was shown today in conceptual stage for the countdown to Geneva where the discussion will begin.
Its big, larger than a Range Rover and far more grander.

Its not based on the X7 but new aluminium architecture. The only sharing with the X7 is the specific sections of Carbon Fibre in the chassis and structure.
The model wont use the next generation CFRP structure and passenger cell previewed on the BMW vision Future Luxury Concept that will be featured in the next generation RR Phantom.

Seeing the car with an X5 and a MINI Countryman F60 really puts the size in perspective. The best thing compared to the forthcoming Bentley SUV is that the RR has its own identity from the Ghost and the Phantom and of course the BMW X5 and X7.

Its the third of super luxury models for the upper echelons of the BMW and Rolls-Royce brands. The first being the BMW X7 , second being the super BMWi9 Sports Car. The fourth model the exclusive luxury BMW 9er Sedan is expected to be green lighted in May for a 2018 introduction.

A further Concept for an additional model will be shown at Shanghai in April.

Amateur sketch showing possible and similar ideas to the new SUV.
Attached Images

02-27-2015, 04:59 PM   #79
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Illustration Rolls-Royce SUV
Attached Images

02-27-2015, 07:21 PM   #80
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep