E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Anyone playing Crysis ?

12-11-2007, 12:30 PM   #23
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_3 View Post
Might not be so critical to gaming, but the extra memory and access speeds on the cards help when dsiplaying and moving larger, textured scenes.

I don't do so much with real-time 3D, but do a lot with 3D rendering and modelling. I was at a conference where nVidia did a little private presentation of their latest hardware (trying to get us to buy the Pro versions). Stunning technology in the new graphics cards - not tied down with specific, dedicated memory/processors, but available with sharing : so as much of the avialable memory and processors get used as possible. Seems quite a few people have wired these up as their processors for intensive tasks, due to their almost limitless scaleable parallel processing abilities. Makes your head melt.

Are you using SLi, NFS - or just the one card ?

D.
Just the one card Dave. It's one of the smaller memory ones (320MB) as well, but because it's factory overclocked it overcomes that for most applications.

I spoke with a few people who are into gaming and they advised me against SLI because of compatability issues and cost.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2007, 03:30 PM   #24
RockIt
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: Mercedes C350 Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed View Post
Maybe a screen shot will get you in the mood
It has! Looks the dogs. Definitely top of my list to play next, although I'm enjoying Portal & Team Fortress 2 at the moment!

New graphics card will have to be ordered as well.

RockIt!
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2007, 04:56 PM   #25
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockIt View Post
It has! Looks the dogs. Definitely top of my list to play next, although I'm enjoying Portal & Team Fortress 2 at the moment!

New graphics card will have to be ordered as well.
It's even better when you start blowing up the buildings, shooting down the palm trees and chucking people at tanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2007, 05:00 PM   #26
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanJT View Post
D'oh!

It's a toss up between a new GFX card and a 24" LCD at the moment. Both and my Mrs will kill me and to be honest I need he monitor for photo editing.
Have the card delivered to work and fit it while she is out

Then only tell her about the screen.

I have one of these and I'm more than happy with it:

http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx...10000,49690000
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2007, 08:02 AM   #27
Serjames
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 335i M-sport

Garage List
playing this now... thanks for the tip... I LOVED their previous Game, FARCRY. which if you haven't played was SOOPOORB !!!

Crysis, is a great game so far (I'm just evacing out of the relic level), a little buggy on the textures, but then I'm running the card clocked on what are probably very out of date drivers.

Wish there was a better way to tackle more than one guy at a time though.

The cloak disengages when you fire obviously, but 'cos the guys are so tough unless you face shoot them, it's hard to bash more than one at a time. I.e. I can understand them wearing body armor and not being one shot one kill, but they should at least get knocked over or back when they get hit, this way you could take em down a little more realistically.

Grenades seem to be the answer but prove difficult to use and completely non intuitive, i.e. how far or long to hold "G" before letting go, some sort of ballistic overlay would be usful.

Does suit my "explore-the-whole-map-very-slowly-Camp-and-snipe-from-as-far-away-as-possible " tactics though.

Anyone else found the choppers to be ridiculously easy to bring down with just two rockets ?

I even took out the one that lands commandos by chucking grenades at it as it landed ?!

Really like the way you can cannibalise weapons to take their components and re-use them on other guns.

Wish there was a better selection though. What's the sodding point of giving you a decant cool gun, and then not giving you ANY AMMO AT ALL !

And AK's or Shotguns seem an odd combo ? and the Uzi is just wierd ?

Love using sniper scopes, but think that there should be some better reason for keeping the precision rifle, as the AK with the scope is pretty good really. Perhaps there should be some more accurate ballistic modeling a la Sniper. flat bullet trajectories from an AK seem a little too easy.

Anyway as you can tell am enjoying

SJ
      12-18-2007, 08:18 AM   #28
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serjames View Post
playing this now... thanks for the tip... I LOVED their previous Game, FARCRY. which if you haven't played was SOOPOORB !!!

Crysis, is a great game so far (I'm just evacing out of the relic level), a little buggy on the textures, but then I'm running the card clocked on what are probably very out of date drivers.

Wish there was a better way to tackle more than one guy at a time though.

The cloak disengages when you fire obviously, but 'cos the guys are so tough unless you face shoot them, it's hard to bash more than one at a time. I.e. I can understand them wearing body armor and not being one shot one kill, but they should at least get knocked over or back when they get hit, this way you could take em down a little more realistically.

Grenades seem to be the answer but prove difficult to use and completely non intuitive, i.e. how far or long to hold "G" before letting go, some sort of ballistic overlay would be usful.

Does suit my "explore-the-whole-map-very-slowly-Camp-and-snipe-from-as-far-away-as-possible " tactics though.

Anyone else found the choppers to be ridiculously easy to bring down with just two rockets ?

I even took out the one that lands commandos by chucking grenades at it as it landed ?!

Really like the way you can cannibalise weapons to take their components and re-use them on other guns.

Wish there was a better selection though. What's the sodding point of giving you a decant cool gun, and then not giving you ANY AMMO AT ALL !

And AK's or Shotguns seem an odd combo ? and the Uzi is just wierd ?

Love using sniper scopes, but think that there should be some better reason for keeping the precision rifle, as the AK with the scope is pretty good really. Perhaps there should be some more accurate ballistic modeling a la Sniper. flat bullet trajectories from an AK seem a little too easy.

Anyway as you can tell am enjoying

SJ
It's a good laugh isn't it?

A few things I discovered after finishing are:

1. The cloak lasts much longer when you are stationary.

2. Re-cloaking immediately after firing is a really good strategy.

3. Melee is quite powerful (especially on aliens), as is grabbing enemies and chucking them at stuff or over cliffs.

4. Shotguns do give you the opportunity to run and gun - with lot's of one shot kills if you are accurate.

5. The vehicles are much easier to use if you alter the camera to an external view by pressing F1
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2007, 01:13 AM   #29
- Paul -
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: see above.

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [10.00]
2005 645  [9.00]
Received my 8800gt the other day and wasted hours of my life trying to get it to do something - dead - no output at all. Ended up having it picked up for replacement. Crysis will have to wait. Busy with Ace Combat 6 at the moment on the 360.

These aren't renders - these are ingame shots.
      12-19-2007, 02:58 AM   #30
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

That overhead shot is pretty amazing.

I'm playing Call of Duty 4 now.

Another pretty amazing game. More simplistic and linear than Crysis,, but still really impressive.

With regard to the 8800 GT - is your power supply OK?

My 8800GTS has an additional 6 pin power connection on the end of the card.

Anyway, I'm sure you checked it all - sounds like you got a duff one.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2007, 03:03 AM   #31
- Paul -
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [10.00]
2005 645  [9.00]
NFS - Yep - Have a 550W and did plug in the 6 way connector to the card.

COD4 is great aswell - nearly finished it on Veteran on the 360 - great game online too!
      12-19-2007, 04:22 AM   #32
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stnewcar View Post
NFS - Yep - Have a 550W and did plug in the 6 way connector to the card.

COD4 is great aswell - nearly finished it on Veteran on the 360 - great game online too!
I can't play COD 4 or Crysis online, because I have the 'special' free versions that don't come with a cd key

I'll probably buy one of them in the new year for the online play .. not sure which though.

Sounds like you had a dodgy card then. When do you get a replacement?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2007, 04:56 AM   #33
- Paul -
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [10.00]
2005 645  [9.00]
Quote:
I can't play COD 4 or Crysis online, because I have the 'special' free versions that don't come with a cd key

I'll probably buy one of them in the new year for the online play .. not sure which though.

Sounds like you had a dodgy card then. When do you get a replacement?
God knows

Courier is picking it up today. Might be lucky and get a replacement in time for crimbo?

If wanting online - go COD4
      12-19-2007, 07:41 AM   #34
330cdsport
Right Responsible
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW F21 M135i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stnewcar View Post
Received my 8800gt the other day and wasted hours of my life trying to get it to do something - dead - no output at all. Ended up having it picked up for replacement. Crysis will have to wait. Busy with Ace Combat 6 at the moment on the 360.
I have the 'special' versions of Crysis and COD4 waiting for me too , but I sold my 8800GTS on ebay a few weeks ago when I discovered the 8800GT reviews. I am waiting to get one now after XMas, and get shootin' in the new year.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2007, 03:47 PM   #35
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330cdsport View Post
I have the 'special' versions of Crysis and COD4 waiting for me too , but I sold my 8800GTS on ebay a few weeks ago when I discovered the 8800GT reviews. I am waiting to get one now after XMas, and get shootin' in the new year.
If you don't mind me asking ... what did the 8800gts go for on EBAY ?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2007, 09:22 AM   #36
330cdsport
Right Responsible
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW F21 M135i

Garage List
Quote:
If you don't mind me asking ... what did the 8800gts go for on EBAY ?
No probs at all NFS. I put it on 'Buy It Now' for £160. I wanted to get it sold before the 8800GT came out before the 2nd hand prices dropped too much.

I was hoping to get the GT when I was in the states a couple of weeks ago but they were still like hen's teeth. Could get one there now though for about $250 instead of £190 here.

Good ole Rip-Off Britain.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2007, 06:42 AM   #37
Serjames
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
ok does anyone have a save game they can send me (profile ?) I have lost EVERYTHING for no apparent reason ?

I need a game on normal setting that has JUST been ejected from the mothership, i.e. just loading into "ICE"

Can anyone help...

SJ
      12-23-2007, 11:53 AM   #38
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
ok does anyone have a save game they can send me (profile ?) I have lost EVERYTHING for no apparent reason ?

I need a game on normal setting that has JUST been ejected from the mothership, i.e. just loading into "ICE"

Can anyone help...

SJ
I have all the levels saved .. PM me to say which one you want with an email address and I'll send it to you.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-23-2007, 03:32 PM   #39
DaveC
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330 Touring

That little vid has got me ...interested... not played anything much since HL2 / Doom3. Almost inspired to go out and waste a wodge of cash on a few decent bits and have a play...
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2007, 04:22 PM   #40
Serjames
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
NFS you're inbox is full apparently

SJ
      12-23-2007, 04:23 PM   #41
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Can anyone help...

SJ
Pretty sure this is it. Rename the file from .pdf to .rar

The unzip and stick in the savegame folder:

my documents/my games/crysis/savegames
Attached Images
File Type: pdf default_99_Paradise Lost_02m_00s.pdf (502.0 KB, 67 views)
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2007, 04:05 AM   #42
Serjames
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
works perfect cheers NFS !