BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion BMW M GmbH Founder Explains How It All Began

11-26-2019, 02:22 PM   #23
cjm41
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
2014 Land Rover LR4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Roundel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjm41 View Post
I can tell by the smiles in the video thumbnail that this won't capture the true disappointment Neerpasch feels about the current state of the motorsport division. BMW currently offers 19 cars with M badges.
A: Did you even watch the video?
B: Are you and Neerpasch good buds?

You don't want an M SUV, don't buy one. Pretty simple.
A. Yes.
B. Yes. BFFs.

Don't like my comment, don't respond to it. pretty simple.

You're certainly entitled to. But you should probably spare us all the "if you don't like it don't get one" crap. I never once implied the vehicles weren't capable or fun. Just that the M brand, itself, is a joke now. BMW has slapped M badges on everything, they might as well be a 17 year old 328i driver.
      11-26-2019, 04:13 PM   #24
New2Roundel
Captain
Rep
Drives: Some fun stuff

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjm41 View Post
A. Yes.
B. Yes. BFFs.

Don't like my comment, don't respond to it. pretty simple.

You're certainly entitled to. But you should probably spare us all the "if you don't like it don't get one" crap. I never once implied the vehicles weren't capable or fun. Just that the M brand, itself, is a joke now. BMW has slapped M badges on everything, they might as well be a 17 year old 328i driver.
Your comments don't make much sense. You just stated that the M vehicles (cars and SUVs, I'm guessing) are capable and fun. Then you say the brand is a joke? Where's the joke? I'm waiting to hear a punchline or something funny, aside from your contradictory argument. Porsche makes performance SUVs. Mercedes makes performance SUVs (at least for the previous gen G wagon, the AMG version sold more than the regular version!). Jaguar makes a performance SUV. I could go on, but hopefully you get the point. Just offering a regular X-series SUV is simply not competitive with the current environment. Why give another company a sale just in the name of some outdated POV.

Again, don't buy a M-badged SUV if you don't want one. No car company owes you anything. The only thing they are required to do is make money. Period. Implying that there is some irreversible mandate that car companies can never produce certain vehicles because they didn't do so in the past or some executive from a previous time period said they wouldn't shows how little you understand the business world. Wake up dude, you should be happy that BMW still offers ICE performance cars with both manual and automatic options. If things continue to move in the direction they're going, the world of M vehicles will look wildly different in 25 yrs. You'll look back and complaining about M series SUVs as a rather quaint disappointment in comparison.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 04:49 PM   #25
cjm41
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
2014 Land Rover LR4  [0.00]
The original M philosophy is well-documented and you can google stuff for free, man.

The M badge currently appears on 19 cars from the factory.

I said the "M brand is a joke" not "M cars are a joke".

The M cars are superb. The fact that BMW sticks M badges on everything is stupid (as are the 12 or so commuter cars with wheels and a spoiler that get to sport an M badge).

I never said BMW owes me anything. What the f*ck are you blithering about. I literally expressed my opinion on a public forum and you lost your damn mind trying to tell me I'm not entitled to an opinion by coupling it to a metric ton of bullshit.

I don't care if you agree. It's 2019, people are dumb as shit now- I don't know why I'm even bothering trying to justify my OPINION to an internet stranger. What the actual f*ck is happening here? Why are you so butthurt about my opinion? (Don't answer that, it's rhetorical).

So I'll agree with you instead. M badges on 19 BMW models is super cool and I bet the man who founded the M division is super duper proud that the brand is being used as a marketing vehicle to push cars to badge snobs and has very little to do with actual motorsport.

Happy?

11-30-2019, 06:45 PM   #26
kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 M2; E92M3 MT&DCT; M3 euro

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Flasch never says M stands for Motorsport in interviews surely because he knows slapping the generic ZF8 in every M car isn’t very motorsport. Nor is the weight.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2019, 08:48 PM   #27
BMWGirlFL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

Garage List
1989 E30 Brochure

Name:  20191130_213440.jpg
Views: 1313
Size:  176.3 KB
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2019, 12:11 AM   #28
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGirlFL View Post
First off I'll say there is tremendous marketing BS in that brochure, along with cool facts. Same as today.

The E30 M3 was conceived in a time where motorsport regulations required road examples to be built in order to homologate a touring car. So it made sense to be done that way.

TCR and other racing formulas today don't require this, they only require the car be built based on an existing model. So car manufacturers don't build homologation specials anymore, they don't need to.

Pragmatism rules in racing, always has and always will. Heck, the 911 race car is mid engine, surely a much bigger blasphemy upon the faithful than anything BMW has ever done...

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2019, 12:13 AM   #29
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrix1st View Post
Flasch never says M stands for Motorsport in interviews surely because he knows slapping the generic ZF8 in every M car isn’t very motorsport. Nor is the weight.
I recall the M235i and M240i racing were quite successful, Z8F transmission and all. Your point is lost?

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2019, 12:35 AM   #30
kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 M2; E92M3 MT&DCT; M3 euro

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
I recall the M235i and M240i racing were quite successful, Z8F transmission and all. Your point is lost?
I've been saying for ages.. BMW tried this tranny just so they can say" oh, we race the automatic too!"

It is a different gearbox from what is sold for M235i and M240i. Also remember they are replacing these with M2 CS Racing which uses M-DCT. I certainly wouldn't say it was the perfect "motorsport" transmission else they would have stuck with it.

If you also read the article by Sachs, it's hardly an automatic since the dispensing torque converter is what made the low weight possible; not what we customers get from the dealership anyways.
Compression rate of N55/B58 engine is 11.0:1 with minimal boost so the engine itself is also very responsive which may account for fast shifts for an automatic.

https://www.sachsperformance.com/en/...-8hp45-from-zf