BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion 2/3 series & X1 headlights score marginal in IIHS safety test, and BMWUSA's response

09-20-2016, 10:20 AM   #133
rwjr44
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i

My Low Headlight Output Saga?

I recently posted here http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showp...&postcount=447 about my headlights. This thread is more appropriate for my ongoing interaction with my dealer.

I recently noted, to my service team leader, that my headlights weren't bright enough at night on a dark road. They used a machine and checked the alignment. They found no problems.

I took a trip which required me to traverse a few two lane and twisty roads. It was very early and quite dark. The low beams are woefully inadequate.

I had a long quiet talk with the service and parts managers and we plan to:
  • Check the headlights more thoroughly.
    If that doesn't find anything, schedule a night drive by one of the service folks. There are quite a few very dark roads nearby so this should determine something.

Things I learned: 1) replacing the entire lighting unit is expensive $3000 for the unit and much more for the labor and 2) replacing the bulb voids the electrical warranty , even if I use a BMW bulb and BMW labor.

I will keep you posted.