BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum X7 2020 M50i - Ventilation rattle when stopped

11-23-2019, 08:30 AM   #1
m5mosh
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5C, 2020 X7 M50i

X7 2020 M50i - Ventilation rattle when stopped

I have 500 miles on this vehicle, and suddenly I have an annoying rattle coming from somewhere near the front center vents. It's noticeable when coming to a stop light. Auto start/stop is disabled so the engine is still running. Even if the fan is set to off, it is still there (in fact it is more noticeable because the fan noise was hiding some of it).

Anyone else noticed this? Should I expect that any BMW dealer would take a look at this and try to solve it? My experience with getting noise issues solved with other cars has not been so great...
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 08:02 PM   #2
m5mosh
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5mosh View Post
I have 500 miles on this vehicle, and suddenly I have an annoying rattle coming from somewhere near the front center vents. It's noticeable when coming to a stop light. Auto start/stop is disabled so the engine is still running. Even if the fan is set to off, it is still there (in fact it is more noticeable because the fan noise was hiding some of it).

Anyone else noticed this? Should I expect that any BMW dealer would take a look at this and try to solve it? My experience with getting noise issues solved with other cars has not been so great...
Well, while I had it at the dealer today for winter tires I had them look at this. Big surprise they took it for a test drive but couldn't hear a thing. As soon as I drove it home I heard it... sigh... 100K for a rattling noisy vehicle?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 08:15 AM   #3
m5mosh
Rep

Quote:
Well, while I had it at the dealer today for winter tires I had them look at this. Big surprise they took it for a test drive but couldn't hear a thing. As soon as I drove it home I heard it... sigh... 100K for a rattling noisy vehicle?
I decided to try again on this. I took a tech on a test ride and easily reproed the noise for him. He assured me he would track it down.

Here's what the report says they found: fuel tank vent line under hood hitting shock tower support intermittently, adjusted vent line bracket.

I'm happy to report that so far it sounds good (fingers crossed it stays that way).
Appreciate 1
Redrex21.50
      02-14-2020, 09:38 AM   #4
Wanderer73
Major
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i

Quote:
Quote:
I decided to try again on this. I took a tech on a test ride and easily reproed the noise for him. He assured me he would track it down.

Here's what the report says they found: fuel tank vent line under hood hitting shock tower support intermittently, adjusted vent line bracket.

I'm happy to report that so far it sounds good (fingers crossed it stays that way).
Good to hear. A little rattle or noise absolutely drives me crazy and ruins the driving experience. Especially on a new car!
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2020, 08:01 AM   #5
sbkim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i

We have the same rattle in the vents while stopped on our 2021 M50i. Annoying indeed - I'll reference this thread with SA.
Appreciate 0