forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum DHP - Highway Driving

01-29-2020, 08:55 PM   #1
daaaaaan
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5

DHP - Highway Driving

Trying to decide if I should opt for DHP or not.

From all the research I did, I havnt been able to find a clear answer.

Will you experience a smoother ride just highway driving compared to a non-dhp x7?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 12:34 AM   #2
760Lifan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 4xe Summit R & Trailhawk

The X7 is a huge vehicle and just like I did on my Audi Q7, I would simply get it for the included Integral Active Steering which you can really take advantage of on a parking lot.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 07:18 AM   #3
gdurhamski
gdurham
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 2020, 17 Porsche Turbo S, 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by daaaaaan View Post

Will you experience a smoother ride just highway driving compared to a non-dhp x7?
No it will not ride any more comfortable on a straight highway. You can order the integral active steer and the M sport brakes as individual options. I Agree with poster 760Lifan get the IAS.
Appreciate 1
alic9613.50
      01-30-2020, 08:07 AM   #4
Wanderer73
Major
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdurhamski View Post
Quote:

No it will not ride any more comfortable on a straight highway. You can order the integral active steer and the M sport brakes as individual options. I Agree with poster 760Lifan get the IAS.
I had a chance to test drive with and without IAS. In a crowded parking lot, the ISA X7 felt noticeably more agile. The agility at low speeds for such a big car is worth the cost of IAS IMO. Not 100% sure I could tell you the difference on the highway at speed.

The car didn't have the full DHP with active comfort drive with road preview. I ordered an M50i, so had to get the full DHP. Can give my opinion on the full package when I have some time in the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 12:54 PM   #5
Jefflikescars
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i, Navigator, Mod Y Perf

IAS is a must in my opinion. The decreased turning radius is something you'll use and enjoy everyday. I even had one passenger in the third row ask "are the back wheels turning on this?" because they could feel the difference.

As for the road preview, I have it on my M50i, but couldn't really compare since I haven't driven one without.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 05:58 PM   #6
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

I've heard that having IAS can make alignments a real pain in the Ass. Also, curb damage can break/damage IAS components requiring very expensive repairs.

I would like to hear from those that have IAS and have done an alignment or have damaged any of the IAS components.

Just one more complicated component to break IMO.
Appreciate 1
alic9613.50
      01-30-2020, 06:09 PM   #7
Wanderer73
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
I've heard that having IAS can make alignments a real pain in the Ass. Also, curb damage can break/damage IAS components requiring very expensive repairs.

I would like to hear from those that have IAS and have done an alignment or have damaged any of the IAS components.

Just one more complicated component to break IMO.
Where and or who did you hear this from?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 09:52 PM   #8
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer73 View Post
My Dealer as well as some commenters on this forum complained about alignment problems. It could just be hear say. That's why I asked for comments from owners that have it and have experienced problems with alignment and repairs.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 09:56 PM   #9
Wanderer73
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer73 View Post
My Dealer as well as some commenters on this forum complained about alignment problems. It could just be hear say. That's why I asked for comments from owners that have it and have experienced problems with alignment and repairs.
Thanks. Interested myself because I ordered mine with the package.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 06:28 AM   #10
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
"Alignment problems" may be a bit harsh. However, that suspension technology is new and more complicated than current, traditional suspension technology on most vehicles, including the X7 without this option. At a minimum, it means that a limited number of shops will be able to do a standard 4-wheel alignment or conduct repairs on the system - most likely limited to the dealer. While the long term reliability of the system is unknown (i.e. past the new car warranty period), it is not unreasonable to assume the cost to repair this system vs a standard system, if necessary, will be higher.

I think a good variable you should consider when looking at this particular option is how long do you plan to keep the vehicle. If you keep cars less than the 4yr/50k mile warranty period, your cost/risk is essentially zero due to the warranty. Another method to help mitigate the potential repair risk is an extended warranty (but that costs extra $$ as well).

I don't actually own an X7 (yet ). But I have applied the thought process above specifically wrt that option from a purely pragmatic standpoint as I intend to keep the X7 well past the new car warranty period.

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 08:26 AM   #11
aas5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 Tesla Model 3

I don’t think this technology is that new. It’s definitely been around for 10 years or longer. Maybe the X7 technology is more advanced. I am getting DHP on my car and wouldn’t order without it. Had an X5 as long-term loaner two summers ago without it and absolutely hated the ride. One other consideration is what you are driving now. I am coming off an X6M and wouldn’t order my X7 without it.
Sold: 2020 X7 M50 White Mineral with Ivory & Blue, 2017 X6M Long Beach Blue with Mugello Red, 2014 X6M Monte Carlo Blue with Mugello Red, 2011 X6 5.0 Black on Black, 2008 E350 4Matic Silver, 2006 Infiniti M45 Diamond Graphite
Appreciate 1
Heimdall136.50
      01-31-2020, 11:53 AM   #12
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

You should also consider what the costs will be when your wife clips a curb or you hit a big pot hole. Those types of situations would not be covered under warranty with either the original or extended warranty.

These types of road hazards and mishaps happen all the time. Those potential out of pocket costs should also be considered when making purchase decisions on advanced options.
Appreciate 1
jmciver1832.00
      01-31-2020, 01:19 PM   #13
Sphinx_77
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
"Alignment problems" may be a bit harsh. However, that suspension technology is new and more complicated than current, traditional suspension technology on most vehicles, including the X7 without this option. At a minimum, it means that a limited number of shops will be able to do a standard 4-wheel alignment or conduct repairs on the system - most likely limited to the dealer. While the long term reliability of the system is unknown (i.e. past the new car warranty period), it is not unreasonable to assume the cost to repair this system vs a standard system, if necessary, will be higher.

I think a good variable you should consider when looking at this particular option is how long do you plan to keep the vehicle. If you keep cars less than the 4yr/50k mile warranty period, your cost/risk is essentially zero due to the warranty. Another method to help mitigate the potential repair risk is an extended warranty (but that costs extra $$ as well).

I don't actually own an X7 (yet ). But I have applied the thought process above specifically wrt that option from a purely pragmatic standpoint as I intend to keep the X7 well past the new car warranty period.
100% agree.
In addition, maybe if you are not accustomed to driving vehicles of this size, you might think the IAS is needed? But, honestly I have never had a circumstance that I was wishing I would have gotten it. I am trying to envision a time when it would be that advantageous for me, but I can't come up with one.... even driving in downtown NYC, I've honestly never had an issue. Also, parallel parks with ease for me. I don't even use the park assist features, other than to make my little ones in the back laugh.
Maybe if you see it as a 'huge' vehicle which it seems many do, then maybe you might want the IAS. If you are used to vehicles of this size, I think you won't have an issue, and you may save yourselves some headaches if you plan on owning longer than the warranty.
Just my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 01:38 PM   #14
Phillymb75
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 21 X7 M50 - 20 M240i vert 6mt

I had DHP in my 16 X5 and my other half hit a curb fairly hard after being cut off at speed. Wheel was toast, suspension perfectly fine, I was surprised. Had the car for another year plus after that with no issues.

I have DHP in my 19 X7, we test drove both and felt the ride was a lot smoother in the one we bought. I'm barely at 3k miles, so I can't comment on longevity.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 06:57 PM   #15
daaaaaan
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post

1991 Mitsubishi VR4’s had this system (obviously not as high tech, but all 4 wheels turned). This is nothing “new”
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 09:43 PM   #16
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
1991 Mitsubishi VR4’s had this system (obviously not as high tech, but all 4 wheels turned). This is nothing “new”
Sure, and there was an early/mid '90's Honda Prelude that also had this tech as well, and I am sure there were a few other examples, so yes, the concept is technically not "new". But after almost 3 decades, that tech has not become very mainstream and is only found in relatively few models from a few manufacturers - why is that? Regardless, if it breaks, it will be more expensive to deal with, compared to more traditional suspensions that are available today - which was the main point I was trying to make. YMMV of course.....

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 10:28 PM   #17
aas5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 Tesla Model 3

This is an expensive car and many expensive things can break. There is insurance and warranty for that. That's what the leases are for. I wouldn't be obsessed with trying to decide on getting the DHP or not based on the possibility that you may or may not hit a curb or a pothole. If one does, than might as well worry about all the other expensive features this car has.
Sold: 2020 X7 M50 White Mineral with Ivory & Blue, 2017 X6M Long Beach Blue with Mugello Red, 2014 X6M Monte Carlo Blue with Mugello Red, 2011 X6 5.0 Black on Black, 2008 E350 4Matic Silver, 2006 Infiniti M45 Diamond Graphite
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2020, 09:27 PM   #18
Luminor513
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 G07 x40i BSM/Blk Merino

Quote:
Originally Posted by aas5 View Post
This is an expensive car and many expensive things can break. There is insurance and warranty for that. That's what the leases are for. I wouldn't be obsessed with trying to decide on getting the DHP or not based on the possibility that you may or may not hit a curb or a pothole. If one does, than might as well worry about all the other expensive features this car has.
Agreed completely. Our X7 has IAS. Everything on this X7 is expensive and probably PITA to repair. Use it. Enjoy it. And thankfully return it after 36 months of family hauling, and get a shiny brand new German SUV that is going to have even more fancy parts and features that may break or cost loads of money out of warranty.
      02-02-2020, 10:06 PM   #19
F30.N54.lol
Tech
South Korea
Rep
Drives: M340 /GTR

HSR on BMWs is great ! . At first it feels weird, its almost like the car glides into the next lane and like others said in tight areas its awesome.

Service wise the only thing needed to be done is the rear steering rack needs to be put into service mode (also can be done by putting car in tire chain mode thru the idrive) then the alignment is performed like on all BMW chassis that are setup for HSR (graph alignment)

Side note : personally i have not seen or heard any technical issues with HSR (IAS) , except for collision damage situations. Solid system

Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 12:04 PM   #20
AKittrell
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X7; 2018 Panamera 4S

Quote:

I have DHP on our X7 and recently had a X7 loaner without DHP. There is a noticeable difference in city and highway driving and Handling. It is more comfortable when you want it to be and more sporty than the normal setup when you want it to be.
Appreciate 1
torment26.00
      02-08-2020, 07:58 AM   #21
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Quote:
I still own my Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4, all these years later, lol. Actually used it to chase a U-2 spyplane at an airshow, got a big magazine article in Turbo Magazine and Super Street. That was 13 years ago. Wish those articles were online somewhere.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2020, 09:36 AM   #22
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKittrell View Post
I have DHP on our X7 and recently had a X7 loaner without DHP. There is a noticeable difference in city and highway driving and Handling. It is more comfortable when you want it to be and more sporty than the normal setup when you want it to be.
I do not believe this to be true.

My 4 Series has DHP with the Active M Suspension. Computers, dampers, in milliseconds it reads the roads and physically adjusts the suspension on the fly for the best possible driving experience.

Our X7's do not have any active suspension components. We have air suspension for height and we have a chip that can change the steering radius, but nothing physical is happening to the steering rack or the suspension components to make for a more sporty ride. The stock X7 and the DHP X7 handle the same.

This is what was explained to me at the dealership and by geniuses.
Appreciate 0