BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum I’ve owned the X740i for 12 hours. Here’s my review.

02-12-2020, 06:04 PM   #23
explorer84
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by like2short View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by explorer84 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paultattoo View Post
Replying to the Tesla guy.
Just noticed today that when in cruise control you do get the traffic in the display screen. Three lanes with animated cars where they are in real time with movement.
Great.

I read BMW will update their hardware to EyeQ5, Lidar and more cameras in first quarter of next year. This will make BMW Level 3 autonomous. Aptiv and Mobileye will be responsible for this.

Currently tier1 ZF1 is responsible for the active driving assistant features.
Eye q5 will ship with Inext in 2021. X7 probably does not get until LCI with 8/22 production:

Eye q5 Tier 1 will be Aptiv and Magna (for the Lidar)

Current system is made by ZF with Eye q4. Zf
also supplies Nissan.
Thanks for the info
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 06:41 PM   #24
like2short
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 m3

Quote:
Ametrin red with Coffee Vernasca Leather. I prefer to call it red with brown interior. Lol

Every option except the off road package. The dealer sat with me in the car for over an hour. Even after reading everything on this blog and watching tons of videos. Still wasn't able to remember everything. There really is a lot of stuff going on. But I love that so I am happy.

First off, the self-driving will take a bit to get used to. I am coming out of a 2018 Q7 so I am used to how this works. But the X7 does seem to do it better with less wandering. The first quirk I found was that sometimes the X must see a swerve in the lane that is not there. My Q used to do it in one spot every time. A few blocks from home, the wheel would turn hard left for no reason but always in the same spot. Every day, every time in that one spot. The X took a few sudden swerves for no reason about 6 times today. To the point of kind of scary. Interestingly enough, the X did not sway in the one spot that the Q did every time.

The lane change in auto pilot is swift and accurate. It will take some getting used to, but I like it.

The auto start stop works fine and I would not code it off if I could. I liked it in the Q7 also. I had it once in a Mercedes and it sucked. I would turn it off as soon as I started the car. But in the Q and the X7 you do not even know it's there.

There is so much going on in the touch screen I still haven't figured it all out yet but I have enough stuff set that it's awesome. Still need to get used to the gesture controls. Or shut them off. I'm Italian and I talk with my hands. Sometimes the X will think I am telling it to do something. Kind of funny showing my son some of the features and him wanting to try it. You must wait for one of you to get your hands out of the way before someone else tries it. I don't love it, yet. I don't hate it, yet. Time will tell. I haven't figured out how to make my own gestures yet. Or how to rename the Hey BMW word to something I like.

Hey BMW. That worked great! Fast enough too. My son wanted Five Guys so I said "Hey BMW, navigate to the nearest Five Guys". In seconds, I had a list of every Five Guys around in order from closest to farthest. Turned out pretty handy too. The closest Five Guys was temporally closed. Back in the X and repeat. No problem.

The APP started the car. It also allowed me to lock and unlock too. I set it up with Alexa because it asked me to. Very simple. In the house, I told Alexa to unlock the BMW. Alexa asked for my four digit pin. I said it and the car unlocked. Nice.

Controlling the extra buttons on the seat control isn't easy. The extra features like tilting the top of the seat are hard to get. But having memory on both seats is nice.

In the rear, the passenger can control both sun shades and the moon roof! Who knew?

I do not have a spare. Inside that compartment, is a little door in the floor. I opened it and found the corner of the battery with the negative post available. Don't know how I would get a jump with just the neg but it's there. The shade for the third row is in there. I don't use it so I took both of them out and stored them where I stored the one from the Q7. But getting that thing out is a pain in the butt. You have to remove the flimsy covers in the sides of the trunk. And then you have to put them back on. Kind of dumb but I don't use them so no big deal. But if you do plan on putting it on and taking it off a lot, you will be sorry. Poor design.

I did get two pillows and a cargo net. Storing them with the sunshades. Don't see a need, for me.

I took my OWL CAMERA out of the Q7 and put it in the BMW no problem. So easy and it started right up and worked. I love this dash camera for its simplicity and ability to send the videos to my phone or to look in with my phone any time I want. In some of my other posts you can see a worker at Hoffman Estates Illinois stealing out of my Q7. Caught red handed.

With the APP I was able to look around the car from inside the house and inside Five Guys. Pretty cool. It is not live. When you open the APP and select that feature you're stuck on the last thing it seen. When you refresh the screen, you just get a snap shot, not a live view. Just an FYI if you didn't know.

Auto start isn't auto start. It's climatize. In the settings inside the car, you set what you would like to happen when the temp is under and over a set degree. I used 45 and 60. Turn on heat and warm seat or turn on AC and cool seat. From the APP, you select CLIMATIZE NOW and the car starts.

The X ran great. It's hard to describe. The X feels a lot lighter and more nimble than the Q7, but also feels a lot more solid. The Q7 was great but it always felt 'heavy'. The BMW drives like it weighs half as much if that makes sense. Plus it goes like a rocket! I know I have the 6 cyl and I am the last guy to give a rats butt about speed, but I was always going 20 over the limit and I have the drive set to ECO mode. I tried out sport mode for a second but have not had a ticket on over 30 years and want to keep it that way. My son said I was scaring him because I was driving so fast. I wasn't really; it's just that the X hugs the road so hard it feels like you are racing. Very enjoyable let me say!

I do wish that there was some more storage around the shifter. For the little things you grab all the time. I did buy a couple of storage boxes that fit next to the seats and another one that goes into the arm rest. The arm rest box is for an X5 but it fits perfect. I got the links from you fine folks and I will list the links at the end of this.

The color is strange but the few people that have seen it so far have loved it.

I also got a pretty light trim for the inside because I was just tired of everything being black for so long. Still love black but wanted a change to see how I like it over the next two years. That's all I keep cars for anyway.

One weird thing when you get a new car. Muscle memory. The buttons for the rear windows are right where the buttons for the front windows were in the Q7. So without looking I kept rolling down the rear window instead of the front. Lol No big deal and in a week or so everything will be normal.

I still have a lot to learn but so far so good. Very happy.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...UTF8&psc=1

https://owlcam.com/

I'll post some pictures I took today in the comments.
Thank you
Be careful with those tires in the snow
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 06:45 PM   #25
Paultattoo
Paul Tattoo
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X7

I know! It is snowing a little right now. I decided to wait until next year because winter is almost over. Ugh
Received on 12/28/2023: 2024 X7 XDrive 40i Obsidian Black, Coffee Vernasca Leather, M SPORT, EXECUTIVE, DYNAMIC, ASSISTANCE PRO PKG, LUX SEATING, COLD WEATHER, PARK ASSIST, Ambient Air, Shadowline Trim,
Harman Kardon, Trailer Hitch.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 09:31 PM   #26
Art-CK
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: '20 X7 M50i '12 M6 Cab '11 X5M

Garage List
Quote:
I know! It is snowing a little right now. I decided to wait until next year because winter is almost over. Ugh
I'm aggressively looking for a set of 22" winter tires to put on stock rims for my Amertine M50i I just switched my order to. Don't want to take any chances with snow up here in Canada. Will use stock 755m wheels for the winter and hoping to pickup set of Savinis for my summer setup!
Appreciate 0