BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Resale Value thoughts are killing me

02-14-2020, 05:01 PM   #23
aptekcom
Private
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model S BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
it's the price you pay. all new cars today lose 40-50% in the first 3 years. I challenge you to find any new mass production car that doesn't lose nearly half its value in 3 years. BMW just has bigger numbers. half of $30k = 15. Half of 110= 55k - that's a year salary to average folks.

it comes with good reason. Most default manufacturers warranty only covers 4-5 years maximum. Repair and maintenance costs for any car in year 5 will equal or exceed years 1-4 combined. most cars need new tires, brakes, fluids, etc at the 4-5 year mark.

Also supply and demand. everyone wants to buy a new car. Hypothetically, if money was no object, few would choose to buy a 4 or 5 year old used car. cars off lease at year 3 flood the markets. Thus, the price of cars years 1-3 is high; years 3-6 is lower.

In general, if you buy new and sell after 6 years; or you lease two 3 year back to back; it costs roughly the same equally.

So do what most BMW and Mercedes owners do, lease them. Three year or thirty six month lease and move on.
Exactly what he said. If you are worried about the depreciation, Lease it. I went through the same thoughts in my mind, and now i don't worry about it.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 05:40 PM   #24
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

@jmciver my first car was a stick, I liked it but in DC traffic, I'm so glad my next 5 cars were all automatic.
I talked to a shop guy about the same thing. When I got my license, I couldn't stop driving. I can't believe kids don't drive now.
Appreciate 2
jmciver1832.00
NJP628.50
      02-14-2020, 05:54 PM   #25
unfoundnemo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 i4 M50

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 M50  [0.00]
2022 BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by unotaz View Post
Buy a limited Porsche GT car or Ferrari lightweight and you will say good bye to depreciation forever
My 3 kids made too much noise when I tried to stuff them in the back
Appreciate 1
      02-15-2020, 12:03 AM   #26
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfoundnemo View Post
My 3 kids made too much noise when I tried to stuff them in the back
Like most things, duct tape fixes that.
Appreciate 1
toddwalton1289.50
      02-15-2020, 12:19 AM   #27
cmf5
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 M50i

FWIW I let my X7 drive itself most of the way from NJ to VT for a ski trip. I really wanted to drive it but every time I did I ended up doing 90 w/o even realizing it
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 12:35 AM   #28
FishOuttaWater
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 X7 40i/'20 F-350/21 Jeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmf5 View Post
FWIW I let my X7 drive itself most of the way from NJ to VT for a ski trip. I really wanted to drive it but every time I did I ended up doing 90 w/o even realizing it
I should have got that feature.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 01:16 AM   #29
Paultattoo
Paul Tattoo
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X7

Quote:
Is mine not working? I have to grab the wheel every ten seconds. Sometimes I'm fighting for control because if you're in between lanes and the X decides to go it's own way it's an actual dangerous fight.

How long can you go without squeezing the wheel? Even on a perfectly level straight road with my hand on the wheel, I get the flashing yellow. I have to squeeze the wheel or turn it left right to get the light off!
Received on 12/28/2023: 2024 X7 XDrive 40i Obsidian Black, Coffee Vernasca Leather, M SPORT, EXECUTIVE, DYNAMIC, ASSISTANCE PRO PKG, LUX SEATING, COLD WEATHER, PARK ASSIST, Ambient Air, Shadowline Trim,
Harman Kardon, Trailer Hitch.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 01:49 AM   #30
cmf5
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paultattoo View Post
Is mine not working? I have to grab the wheel every ten seconds. Sometimes I'm fighting for control because if you're in between lanes and the X decides to go it's own way it's an actual dangerous fight.

How long can you go without squeezing the wheel? Even on a perfectly level straight road with my hand on the wheel, I get the flashing yellow. I have to squeeze the wheel or turn it left right to get the light off!
I found that the "attention sensor" was really sensitive. If I took my eyes off the road for even a second it would start to panic. I did keep my hand on the bottom of the steering wheel for most of it, which seemed to help. It doesn't seem fully baked yet but it works - I had clear lane markings and very little traffic which probably helped
Appreciate 1
Brukes90.00
      02-15-2020, 01:52 AM   #31
cmf5
Rep

Also I observed that it was much more stable in stop-and-go traffic (accident) then it was a normal highway speeds. It panic'd less and just worked as expected without intervention. At speed it needed much more attention and seemed overly conservative about turns (too sharp) and other cars (unexpected behavior)
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 08:25 AM   #32
Crimsonboz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishOuttaWater View Post
I should have got that feature.
First off, wipe down that wheel stock lol!
Appreciate 2
      02-15-2020, 12:18 PM   #33
Sphinx_77
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paultattoo View Post
Quote:

The wheel needs to be held about every 7 sec on mine, but if you keep your knee touching it thinks your hand is on the wheel.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 03:04 PM   #34
explorer84
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 535i

Quote:
Also I observed that it was much more stable in stop-and-go traffic (accident) then it was a normal highway speeds. It panic'd less and just worked as expected without intervention. At speed it needed much more attention and seemed overly conservative about turns (too sharp) and other cars (unexpected behavior)
I am looking to switch from Tesla Model X to X7. The one thing that's holding me from switching is Autopilot in Tesla. Currently it handles 90% or more highway driving with confidence.

On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being absolute best, how would you rate BMW's driving assistant professional package on the highway and internal streets?

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 06:37 PM   #35
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by explorer84 View Post
Quote:
I am looking to switch from Tesla Model X to X7. The one thing that's holding me from switching is Autopilot in Tesla. Currently it handles 90% or more highway driving with confidence.

On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being absolute best, how would you rate BMW's driving assistant professional package on the highway and internal streets?

Thanks in advance.
if the driving assistants capabilities is the sole deciding factor behind your switch from a Tesla to a X7 bmw i guess without owning either one of them i can give an answer on which is better(guess you know that already).
as to most other features that people like me care about i can also give an answer without owning one of them.(guess you know that already).
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 09:25 PM   #36
explorer84
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS_SN View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks in advance.
if the driving assistants capabilities is the sole deciding factor behind your switch from a Tesla to a X7 bmw i guess without owning either one of them i can give an answer on which is better(guess you know that already).
as to most other features that people like me care about i can also give an answer without owning one of them.(guess you know that already).
ahaha! Well said!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 11:31 PM   #37
Crimsonboz
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Thanks in advance.
I’m switching from a Model X to an X7 and I find them pretty comparable honestly. Tesla’s identification system is light years ahead but that’s another matter.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 05:28 AM   #38
explorer84
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimsonboz View Post
Quote:

Thanks in advance.
I’m switching from a Model X to an X7 and I find them pretty comparable honestly. Tesla’s identification system is light years ahead but that’s another matter.
Thank you. By identification you mean Autopilot's ability to recognize surrounding cars and display on the IC?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 08:58 AM   #39
Crimsonboz
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Thank you. By identification you mean Autopilot's ability to recognize surrounding cars and display on the IC?
I am. Red lights, stop signs, garbage can etc.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 10:59 AM   #40
MB21
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M5.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerdoc2020 View Post
I'm waiting to order a 2021 fully loaded $122k come August but keep feeling the gut punch of looking at how BMWs lose value. Obviously most all vehicles stink at this but when doing my research on X5s (since no history yet with X7) the numbers are abysmal. Literally 50% of MSRP lost after 2 years. That's killer. That's like $2500/month for the first two years. I make good money and I really like the X7 but I really feel stupid losing that much on a purchase so soon or paying $60k in 3 years to lease. I guess just the price to pay to own a new BMW. Anyone else struggle with this or just me?
I had Maserati and they lose more value if this helps...
Appreciate 1
      02-16-2020, 12:11 PM   #41
Crimsonboz
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB21 View Post
I had Maserati and they lose more value if this helps...
Some of the Maserati’s in my local area are marked down 30-40K they can’t move them. Their base price was lowered from last year to this year as well.
Appreciate 1
      02-16-2020, 09:02 PM   #42
cmf5
Rep

I've never driven the Model X so I can't compare. I also didn't cross-shop it with the X7 bc I don't think they're in the same market segment. That said I'm farily certain the Model X is going to have a better autopilot. The setup on the X7 isn't bad, but for me it still feels like a novelty. Frankly I didn't buy a car with over 500HP for it to just drive itself...but I get where you're coming from.

My suggestion would be to go drive it and see what you think. Compared to my past experiences I've definitely noticed that BMW dealers are much more inclined to just let you drive the cars. I drove a bunch and after a while I just started cutting them off during their sales pitch. They realize their strength is the car itself, and in my experience they respond relatively well to "kindly stop talking and let me do my thing".

Since my post above I've discovered the "Excessive Speed Warning" option, which I set to 95 mph. So unless I'm sitting in traffic I really don't see a need to let the car drive itself again.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 11:22 AM   #43
jcarlilesiu
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 50i

I only purchase my vehicles, and without the desire to get rid of the car less than 7-8 years after purchase, that depreciation is somewhat a sidebar.

For instance, I bought a 2014 X1 new. Cost was $43,000. It probably lost 20K in the first few years, but I don't really think about it, because I don't look at it like an investment.

It is now 2020, and I have the title and that X1 sitting in the garage worth about 14,000K. It has 62,000 miles on it. It has at least another 4-5 years of service before I let it go.

So I will have a car that after the end of my use (say 150,000 miles) that I kept for 10 years. Considering the purchase price and say a selling value of a few thousand at 150,000 miles, that means I paid $333 per month over 10 years for the car.

Not bad.

Running a similar calculation on the X7. If I hold onto it for 10 years, I paid $833 per month. Again, not terrible considering the vehicle and it will have some value left when I go to get rid of it.

If you only plan on holding onto a car for 3, 4, or even 5 years, your costs go up extraordinarily high and lease is probably the way to go. I purchase with the intent of keeping cars at least 10 years.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 09:37 PM   #44
LittleJoe
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 EQS 580 SUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphinx_77 View Post
The wheel needs to be held about every 7 sec on mine, but if you keep your knee touching it thinks your hand is on the wheel.
Several X7 owners have commented about the need to squeeze the wheel every 7 to 10 seconds when using the active cruise control. While that is true there is a simple work-around. Simply rest the fingers of your right or left on the back side of the steering wheel and the heat of your fingers will satisfy the system so it will not warn you to put your hands back on the wheel. My dealer told me about it and works just fine.
Appreciate 0