BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Question about the 12V outlet ports

02-16-2020, 09:36 PM   #1
760Lifan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 4xe Summit R & Trailhawk

Question about the 12V outlet ports

Hi folks,

So today, I was trying to set up the Fire TV on the Rear Entertainment System and was initially baffled why the HDMI input did not show up as an option. I tried to use the USB-C outlets to power the Fire stick but that did not work. Then, I noticed that there is actually a 12V outlet right below the HDMI-input at the center console so I tried the 12V USB car charger I purchased. Still no luck - for some reason, it did not fit in there completely so it failed to make contact and therefore, no power.

Same with the front 12V outlet next to the cupholders - charger did not fit all the way in.

Now, for some strange reason, the same charger fits the 12V outlet in the trunk so I ran the wire from there to the Fire stick to start the set-up.

Since this is not a permanent solution, I was wondering if anybody came across a USB-charger on Amazon that actually fits these two outlets? I just don't want to try out half a dozen models which in the end, I'm not going to use.

I know there are quite a few out there but I have no clue which actually fit the X7.

Thanks in advance!
Gone: 2020 X7 M50i, Mineral White, Ivory White Full Merino, Piano Black Trim, Cold Weather, Dynamic Handling, Driving Assistance, Luxury Seating, Executive, 22" Y-Spoke Orbit Grey Wheels Style 758i, Space Saver Spare, Trailer Hitch, Leather Dash, Ambient Air, Bowers & Wilkins, Rear Entertainment, Night Vision, Extended Shadowline, Alcantara Headliner in Upholstery Color.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 09:00 AM   #2
crackerjack15
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

I ended up sanding down the plastic end of my chargers just a bit and they finally were able to touch. It seems like the bmw outlet is a little bit narrow and keep the charger from fully seating.
Appreciate 1
760Lifan450.50
      02-17-2020, 10:35 AM   #3
Paultattoo
Paul Tattoo
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackerjack15 View Post
I ended up sanding down the plastic end of my chargers just a bit and they finally were able to touch. It seems like the bmw outlet is a little bit narrow and keep the charger from fully seating.
Will an actual cigarette lighter work in the spot?
Received on 12/28/2023: 2024 X7 XDrive 40i Obsidian Black, Coffee Vernasca Leather, M SPORT, EXECUTIVE, DYNAMIC, ASSISTANCE PRO PKG, LUX SEATING, COLD WEATHER, PARK ASSIST, Ambient Air, Shadowline Trim,
Harman Kardon, Trailer Hitch.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 01:23 PM   #4
760Lifan
Major
Rep

Forum-member Waise who I PM'ed yesterday was so kind and told me that these

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

will actually fit. I ordered them today and will let you know if they work for me, too.
Gone: 2020 X7 M50i, Mineral White, Ivory White Full Merino, Piano Black Trim, Cold Weather, Dynamic Handling, Driving Assistance, Luxury Seating, Executive, 22" Y-Spoke Orbit Grey Wheels Style 758i, Space Saver Spare, Trailer Hitch, Leather Dash, Ambient Air, Bowers & Wilkins, Rear Entertainment, Night Vision, Extended Shadowline, Alcantara Headliner in Upholstery Color.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 08:44 PM   #5
Crimsonboz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 760Lifan View Post

will actually fit. I ordered them today and will let you know if they work for me, too.
760, would you mind snapping a few shots of your setup? Just when you have time. I have a few questions really:

1. Do you only need 1 fire stick for both rear entertainment screens? Or would you need one per screen? So each kid could watch whatever? Would they have to watch the same thing?

2. Do the headphones from BMW sync automatically? Do I need to do anything?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 09:33 PM   #6
760Lifan
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimsonboz View Post
760, would you mind snapping a few shots of your setup? Just when you have time.
As soon as I have everything nice and clean, I will add a couple of pictures to my photo-thread. The 12V adapters arrive Wednesday so I should be done Thursday.

Quote:
Do you only need 1 fire stick for both rear entertainment screens? Or would you need one per screen? So each kid could watch whatever? Would they have to watch the same thing?
I will check this tomorrow but I'm sure you can watch the stick on both screens at the same time. You actually can't use more than one stick since there is only one HDMI-input. What I will have to check is if one screen can display the stick and the other one a DVD, i.e.

Quote:
Do the headphones from BMW sync automatically? Do I need to do anything?
That, unfortunately, I can't answer because the headphones are not included and are optional. I have no plans getting them.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 12:50 AM   #7
cheapie408
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7

I too have this problem and posted about it a few weeks back. What's crazier is the same plug that didn't work in the X7 work in the 2019 5 series. Go figure.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 09:01 AM   #8
760Lifan
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapie408 View Post
I too have this problem and posted about it a few weeks back. What's crazier is the same plug that didn't work in the X7 work in the 2019 5 series. Go figure.
And even crazier, the plug that doesn't fit in the front or in the center console in the second row actually fits in the trunk...
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 01:32 PM   #9
dh3622
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS, M4 CSL

I have the RSE in my M50i and everything is up and running. The only real issue I had was getting my M50i connecting (MSISDN #) with AT&T to set up a My Vehicle plan. Once that was accomplished everything else went pretty smooth.

To address some issues mentioned above:

1) I have my M50i set up with Fire Stick and Roku Stick. I've attached pictures of each set up which work seamlessly. I use the USB-C port for power without any issues. Note: The Roku Stick did not come with a USB-C end so I had to buy a cable to convert a USB-A plug end to USB-C.

2) As mentioned, you only have one HDMI port. So, you can use either Fire or Roku; not both at the same time.

3) Once up and running (either one-Fire or Roku), you can view on either or both rear screens and, provided the car is not moving, the front screen as well.

4) My BMW Genius gave me a RSE Set-Up 'Cheat Sheet' which I've copied as well. It may help someone in getting connected and up and running.

5) My BMW Bluetooth headphones connected without issue. When you put your headphones into sync mode, they came up on the Bluetooth My Devices list. After connecting, I actually renamed each headset (Left HS and Right HS) for ease of Identifying.

6)Before I forget, you will need to set-up an account with Amazon Fire and/or Roku before you can use either.
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf RSE Set Up Info Sheet.pdf (58.7 KB, 156 views)
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 02:02 PM   #10
760Lifan
Major
Rep

Thanks, that is very informative.

I'm surprised though that Roku is actually working with the vehicle's hot-spot. Somebody else mentioned that this did not work (he had to use his phone's hot spot).
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 03:23 PM   #11
dh3622
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS, M4 CSL

Quote:
Thanks, that is very informative.

I'm surprised though that Roku is actually working with the vehicle's hot-spot. Somebody else mentioned that this did not work (he had to use his phone's hot spot).
This afternoon, when taking the pictures, I had both the Fire Stick and Roku Stick both running (separately). I did run them through my vehicle's hot spot (via AT&T).
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 03:38 PM   #12
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Quote:

FWIW, that happens to be the same plug I use in my 330i. Works great. Nice and slim.
Appreciate 2
760Lifan450.50
Brukes90.00
      02-18-2020, 08:35 PM   #13
760Lifan
Major
Rep

Also just a reminder of the obvious: The RES gives you a CD-Player to play music through the sound-system as well. And yes, you can rip CDs through that player to the vehicle's internal memory.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 10:28 AM   #14
Art-CK
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: '20 X7 M50i '12 M6 Cab '11 X5M

Garage List
I ordered android based tablet that has Micro HDMI out. I am hoping to keep that in the armrest and use direct HDMI connection to my RSE. Hoping that this way kids can download their Amazon and Netflix shows on the tablet to then play onto RSE.

Still need to order 2x wireless headsets from BMW.
2011 X5M - Alpine White & Black
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 12:10 PM   #15
760Lifan
Major
Rep

Quote:

Just FYI, the ordered chargers fit - thanks again, Waise!
Appreciate 0