forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Digital Key for Secondary user

11-30-2023, 12:43 PM   #1
anandhan_subbiah
Rep
Drives: X7 40 xdrive40i

Digital Key for Secondary user

Does anyone know if it is possible for a secondary user to open the car and not default to the primary user's profile ? In my case my wife is the primary owner. I generated a pass key and shared it to my phone using the Iphone wallet. I am able to use the key on my phone to open the car but it always defaults to my wife's profile. I have resigned myself to the fact that even the cell connection does not work across profiles but this behaviour is another level of insanity. Please let me know if there is a mitigation path.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2023, 01:05 PM   #2
Ritu_o0o
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X7

May be generating keys for 2nd key fob and default this key fob with your profile?
Appreciate 1
      11-30-2023, 06:55 PM   #3
anandhan_subbiah
Rep

I am yet to figure that out. will try to call the bmw folks to see if I can assign the keyfob to a profile. I could not find any proper documentation for any of this.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2023, 07:11 PM   #4
h2ogreggy
Greg M.
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 / 2024 X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandhan_subbiah View Post
I am yet to figure that out. will try to call the bmw folks to see if I can assign the keyfob to a profile. I could not find any proper documentation for any of this.
Following. I have the exact same frustrations!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2023, 07:56 PM   #5
anandhan_subbiah
Rep

How to assign a keyfob to a profile

So i managed to find this one.. turned to be reasonably easy tbh

This video explains how to assign a keyfob to a profile. There is still no solution for how to accomplish this on the phone but this is a good start.

I will also keep digging to find out how to establish cell connectivity across profiles.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2023, 11:56 PM   #6
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

You can assign digital keys to specific profiles. The car will even use the one that opens the drivers door when they are competing.

Sit in the car with the devices you want to assign to a profile, load the profile, assign those devices to it
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2023, 10:53 AM   #7
emps
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2024 X7 M60i / Macan S

Just came back into the BMW family with a new 2024 X7 M60i few weeks back and had this exact problem. Frustrated me to no end, also couldn't find any info on this.

But I did finally figure this out.

Go into your wife's bmw.id settings in the car and go to the key management. Under her profile your digital key is checked off there. Uncheck it and proceed to your bmw.id and assign that digital key to your id (and physical key if you are keeping separate keys).

The genius during the post sale walk through had assigned (or it defaults) the newly created digital key under the primary user account.

Now both my physical and digital keys are assigned to my id now with all settings.
Appreciate 0