BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Thoughts on M60i vs M50i (exhaust and A.S.S)

11-25-2023, 12:24 PM   #1
avi8tir
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M

Thoughts on M60i vs M50i (exhaust and A.S.S)

So, I have an M50i X5. My mom has an M50i X7. She just got a new M60i X7 and my fiance is buying her M50i X7.

Knowing the M50i through my X5 and reading all of the comments about the ASS annoyance and some saying the exhaust note is way less aggressive.

We had her M50i X7 and M60i X7 side by side over thanksgiving.

A couple of thoughts:
  • The exhaust doesn't even sound like V8
  • It sounds more like the B58 or V6 in my opinion - so disappointing
  • The ASS is annoying as SHHHHHIIIITTTTTTT
  • Even though its annoying, it is fairly smooth in the transitions

It makes me think that BMW prioritized the 48 volt system, ASS, etc and the exhaust was a victim in all of this. The M50i exhaust is very aggressive and if it was turning on and off constantly like the M60i does, I could see how that could be annoying as well.

So, here is my theory.... prioritize the hybrid ASS on a V8 powered $130k SUV with ///M written all over it (even though its not a real M), market the new engine as an ///M engine and the exhaust gets clipped as a result. All in the name of energy conservation. Makes sense, doesn't it? No, it does not.
Appreciate 1
MystroX56292.50