BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum 100,000 posts- a retrospective

04-01-2024, 08:59 AM   #1
chicagox7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 Q7, 07 RDX, 23 X7 40i-soon

100,000 posts- a retrospective

This forum has been immensely helpful through my buying and ownership journey to date. I forget how many posts there were when I first joined, though it seems to go up exponentially everyday and is bout to flip to 100k posts. With that increase continues to bring new knowledge and considerations. I thought I’d start a thread to celebrate the sharing and community that’s been built within X7 owners (recognizing many likely own other BMWs and may be active on the other threads). This community solidified my choice of the X7 over other options and helped me spec it out. It also help me think through the 23 vs 24 debate (mine was built in Feb 23- just before the 24’s started production in April). It has since helped me learn more about the car and get more enjoyment out of it. It is also giving me a number of things to watch out for with respect to frequent issues.

To celebrate 100k posts, I thought it might be interesting to ask folks to share what one or two most important (or most surprising, or most helpful) pieces of info/learning that they’ve come away with. Also, any regrets/do something different as you learn more or now that you have the car?

The most improtant pieces of information came during the 23 vs 24 discussions about rumored (and since verified) updates. While I didn’t end up changing mine to a 24, I wasn’t blind sided by the change and that thread gave me an appreciation for the options on the 23. Admittedly, I’m mixing some here because I searched the various options noted and discussed in the threads to learn more about them (so this one thread led me to many others).

The most surprising for me has been hearing about some of the difficulties on getting all-season/snow tires for the 22 and 23 inch wheels. Many deal with this just fine and navigate it seamlessly. That said, the number of threads and discussions pushed me squarely to the 21’s as I wanted simplicity in ownership as opposed to style.

The more surprising is the ‘secret’ add ons with various options. The tow hitch comes with a lot fo unadvertised items that are good if you want to go on long hauls without towing. The climate package adds another compressor just for the 3rd row.

Regrets- a minor one- not pushing harder on price or looking into a broker- especially since we did PCD; so location of dealer didn’t matter. There were not many discounts to be had in late 22/early 23. Most cars were going over MSRP. The fact BMW was at MSRP was a key factor in buying it. As our build date neared and the 24 SOP was confirmed, I did not push as hard to get a discount as I probably should have. The fact that our family hauler was on its last legs helped with this decision (same as it helped with 23 vs 24). That said- 9,000 miles in- one CEL after a software update and a pro-active shop repairing the brake booster a week after the official recall was public- I made the right choice to keep this vehicle and to use the dealer I used.

Anyone else want to share?
Appreciate 2
GOLFFRR10823.00
      04-01-2024, 09:28 AM   #2
keg97
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 & X7

Forums like this are my first stop when I put a vehicle in my finalist category. I'll spend days/weeks/months reading and lurking to gather the "insider" information. My wife has long ago acknowledged that I always am better informed about a vehicle we are considering than any sales person we meet at the dealership. So, I'll second the admiration/thanks to my fellow forum colleagues.
Appreciate 3
chicagox7190.00
Russ103308.00
      04-01-2024, 10:31 AM   #3
Russ103
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by keg97 View Post
Forums like this are my first stop when I put a vehicle in my finalist category. I'll spend days/weeks/months reading and lurking to gather the "insider" information. My wife has long ago acknowledged that I always am better informed about a vehicle we are considering than any sales person we meet at the dealership. So, I'll second the admiration/thanks to my fellow forum colleagues.
I second this 100%

I can tell within 30 seconds of talking to a salesman about a vehicle I’m interested in if he/she knows anything about it compared to me. Usually, they know what 99% of the general (read people not interested in cars whatsoever) public needs to hear, and I don’t blame them.

Most people treat their vehicle as a necessary tool for daily life, and try to spend the least amount of money on it. We car forum nerds are on the opposite end of that spectrum, and according to any CPA worth their salt, are financially irresponsible (or financially well off in most cases here) and like their cars.

I look forward to my commute to work and back every day. That to me makes spending the extra money (within budget) worth it. Otherwise we’d all be driving a Toyota Camry for 300,000 trouble free (and also forgettable) miles.
Appreciate 3
chicagox7190.00
keg97168.00
      04-01-2024, 11:17 AM   #4
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

Ive been part of these forums and sponsoring them for years. So many amazing people and knowledge on here. Def one of the top car forums out there for sure.

Cheers to all

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 4
BimmerFix1390.50
chicagox7190.00
keg97168.00
      04-01-2024, 01:51 PM   #5
Foxglove
X7 Proselyte
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 xd50i

Garage List
2019 BMW X7 50i  [0.00]
I found this forum when shopping for an SUV to replace my F150. I wanted something with more seats (although I got the 6 seat version) and A/C controlled cargo room - and admittedly a more luxurious and tighter handling / driving experience. I found the real world descriptions of the cargo capacity and versatility of the X7 the most important factor in deciding to buy. Many descriptions of load outs and kids and adults etc and then the various descriptions of the features and what was really important for different people made the next choice of finding a good option set critical. I ended up buying a preowned fully loaded 2019 x7 50i and am truly enjoying it. Thanks Bimmerpost!
      04-01-2024, 03:57 PM   #6
chicagox7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 Q7, 07 RDX, 23 X7 40i-soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxglove View Post
I found this forum when shopping for an SUV to replace my F150. I wanted something with more seats (although I got the 6 seat version) and A/C controlled cargo room - and admittedly a more luxurious and tighter handling / driving experience. I found the real world descriptions of the cargo capacity and versatility of the X7 the most important factor in deciding to buy. Many descriptions of load outs and kids and adults etc and then the various descriptions of the features and what was really important for different people made the next choice of finding a good option set critical. I ended up buying a preowned fully loaded 2019 x7 50i and am truly enjoying it. Thanks Bimmerpost!
There is so much info about all the options on here; it really does help with decisions!
Appreciate 0