proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

10-14-2014, 05:54 AM   #67
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaynardZed View Post
12-15 events per year is too much if you want your M3/4 to also be a nice street car too IMO. It will hold up, it's just that you'll be beating the hell out of it. The hassle of switching the brake pads around, all the rock chips, and the wear and tear on the car is what I'm referring to. I know the pads are easy to switch, but it might get old on the ninth switch around. I think 4-6 events per year seems more sensible for such a nice car.
I have done 15~20 events a year with both my E46 and E92 over 12 years. Both cars have held very well. Changing wheels and pads is not that much of hassle to me (takes me about 30 minutes). I have been there of having a modified dedicated track car that I ran competitively. While it does bring some joys and satisfactions, it also bring a lot of frustrations and hassles. I see my track buddies with such cars, they seem to spend more time under the car than on track. I personally am over this for now. I very much enjoy the convenience of having a dual purpose car.

That being said, I am not excluding the possibility to return to a dedicated track car at some point and run competitively again. Maybe when I retire and have more time at my disposal...

Last edited by CanAutM3; 10-14-2014 at 07:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2014, 09:22 AM   #68
MaynardZed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
I have done 15~20 events a year with both my E46 and E92 over 12 years. Both cars have held very well. Changing wheels and pads is not that much of hassle to me (takes me about 30 minutes). I have been there of having a modified dedicated track car that I ran competitively. While it does bring some joys and satisfactions, it also bring a lot of frustrations and hassles. I see my track buddies with such cars, they seem to spend more time under the car than on track. I personally am over this for now. I very much enjoy the convenience of having a dual purpose car.

That being said, I am not excluding the possibility to return to a dedicated track car at some point and run competitively again. Maybe when I retire and have more time at my disposal...
Both setups have their advantages and disadvantages. I'm kind of doing both right now. I think if you're doing HDPEs the M3/4 is fine, if you're doing TT would probably be better to use a car that's a little more disposable. Luckily, my E36 has been amazingly reliable for having so many miles (170K) on it and has never not finished a weekend. You're right though, I've seen some race cars been trailered to multiple events and barely get out of the paddock without braking down again.

Best track car setup is the formula ford group that my dad races with. The couple that runs the group stores his car, trailers it to the track, does repairs and pit work all day long. To top it off, the guys wife cooks breakfast and lunch for everyone. My dad just shows up to the track and races, no worries at all (except for screwing up on the track). If you add up all the costs of this its not much different than what we would spend maintaining and transporting our cars. Sometimes I wish they made formula fords for big guys like myself.
WHP East Track: 1:04.880, Arizona Motorsports Park: 1:54.352
Road course laptimes for Porsche 911 991.1 GTS 7MT
WHP East Track: 1:02.770, Arizona Motorsports Park: 1:48.889
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2014, 09:47 AM   #69
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaynardZed View Post
Best track car setup is the formula ford group that my dad races with. The couple that runs the group stores his car, trailers it to the track, does repairs and pit work all day long. To top it off, the guys wife cooks breakfast and lunch for everyone. My dad just shows up to the track and races, no worries at all (except for screwing up on the track). If you add up all the costs of this its not much different than what we would spend maintaining and transporting our cars. Sometimes I wish they made formula fords for big guys like myself.
Sounds awesome. Are they in CA?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2014, 10:38 AM   #70
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
There a few people that offer the same services at both Calabogie and Mosport.If I ever find the funds to go back racing properly this how I would do it.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2014, 11:07 AM   #71
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s View Post
There a few people that offer the same services at both Calabogie and Mosport.If I ever find the funds to go back racing properly this how I would do it.
Did you get to try your car at Mosport?

Impressions??
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2014, 11:15 AM   #72
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Did you get to try your car at Mosport?

Impressions??
Work got in the way of getting up on Thursday,but at least it was a productive one.So far I have about 800 kms on it and so far I am very impressed as it is a very different car than my E92 M3.My reservations about the S55 are gone and I love having torque once again.I cannot wait to get it out on the Track!
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2014, 03:31 PM   #73
MaynardZed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
In AZ mostly and they do their races with ProAutoSports events. In the summer they do a trip to eastern Canada and do a warm up race before one of the F1 events.

http://eformulaford.com

At 6'4" and 290lbs it's not an option for me, but it sure looks like fun. To top it off, the good FF cars are actually going up in value so you don't lose money there.
WHP East Track: 1:04.880, Arizona Motorsports Park: 1:54.352
Road course laptimes for Porsche 911 991.1 GTS 7MT
WHP East Track: 1:02.770, Arizona Motorsports Park: 1:48.889
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2014, 03:19 PM   #74
MasterP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: All the M's

Thanks for the review. I've known the MPSS have been inadequate for track use. When they get hot they get all slidey and they don't seem to like brakes with a lot of initial bite. Vorshlag and HVT are in the area so I'm hoping I can score some R&D Camber plates

I'm hoping BMW will make a club sport version of this platform, like how MINI did with their recent GP.
Appreciate 0