BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > M2 color palette

03-03-2015, 10:43 AM   #67
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

A new red is good. The current red looks like a tomato red.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 04:41 PM   #68
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

BMW's designers always get too cute with the M cars, especially of late.

The most popular colors other than White/Black/Silver/Gray are Red and Blue. For the M3/M4, if you don't want a shade of gray, your options are:

Sakhir Orange - Somewhere between red and orange, polarizing.
Yas Marina Blue - Powder blue, also polarizing.
Austin Yellow - Yellow/Gold/Green similar to Phoenix Yellow - very polarizing.

IMO all 3 of these colors are borderline ugly. Why the hell can't we order a real red, blue, or yellow? Porsche and GM (on the C7) seem to be able to offer colors that don't require explanations.

It's cool that you can pick some oddball colors, I appreciate that some people love them, but it's insane that you have to pay 5k to get an M3/M4 painted in a normal blue color.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 05:53 PM   #69
m981addicts
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 98Mz3-09-135i6sp-13-135isDCT

I'm for fringe colors too AFTER the black, white, silver and primary colors are 1, 2, 3--red, yellow, and blue.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 06:27 PM   #70
cwg
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4 ZCP. AZB on black

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
BMW's designers always get too cute with the M cars, especially of late.

The most popular colors other than White/Black/Silver/Gray are Red and Blue. For the M3/M4, if you don't want a shade of gray, your options are:

Sakhir Orange - Somewhere between red and orange, polarizing.
Yas Marina Blue - Powder blue, also polarizing.
Austin Yellow - Yellow/Gold/Green similar to Phoenix Yellow - very polarizing.

IMO all 3 of these colors are borderline ugly. Why the hell can't we order a real red, blue, or yellow? Porsche and GM (on the C7) seem to be able to offer colors that don't require explanations.

It's cool that you can pick some oddball colors, I appreciate that some people love them, but it's insane that you have to pay 5k to get an M3/M4 painted in a normal blue color.
I agree - the current color selection for M3/4 is abysmal. How about some adult colors
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 06:43 PM   #71
RingMeister01
Croatian
No_Country
Rep
Drives: PORSCHE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by W///
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
I think it is time to make the BMW 2 Series a full-up BMW with Individual, proper M etc., and not just a "cheap" unaffordable poor man's BMW.
Why? I'm all for options, but I think that should hardly be the first priority with this car.

I mean yea, you'll see M3/4 Individual builds on the homepage but really, how many people are going to drop that kind of money on one? I can think of better things to do with $5000 personally. None of the "cheaper" Individual paint really does anything for me.
I think you're missing something when evaluating the Individual paint option. There have been SO many individual M3/4's so far. With the car so new I bet the individuals made so far out number all E9x. Ok maybe not ALL but you get the idea. It's such all cool option to be able to express your creativeness and individuality with a car no matter how inexpensive or expensive that model is. BMW will be missing out considerably by not offering indi colors on the M2. To many the M2 isn't a choice for its lower price but rather smaller size, aesthetics blah blah. Those people will drop $5000 to get a Signal Green, Helrot or whatever they are obsessed with.

Boom
Looking for an SUV
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2015, 11:16 PM   #72
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RingMeister01 View Post
I think you're missing something when evaluating the Individual paint option. There have been SO many individual M3/4's so far. With the car so new I bet the individuals made so far out number all E9x. Ok maybe not ALL but you get the idea. It's such all cool option to be able to express your creativeness and individuality with a car no matter how inexpensive or expensive that model is. BMW will be missing out considerably by not offering indi colors on the M2. To many the M2 isn't a choice for its lower price but rather smaller size, aesthetics blah blah. Those people will drop $5000 to get a Signal Green, Helrot or whatever they are obsessed with.

Boom
I completely agree and am really hoping for individual on the M2!! That said I do really like Donnington Gray so if that and individual was offered I'd have a difficult decision to make.
Appreciate 1
      03-16-2015, 06:34 AM   #73
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:

Boom
Look at the big picture. I'm still willing to bet that the Individual cars are a giant minority when it comes to paint on the M3/4. And that's multiplied by the fact that we are on an enthusiast forum, including shops that are ordering these cars. I'm still willing to bet that they are a drop in the bucket.

On top of that, look at where the M2 will be coming from. The 2 series is already a very rare animal compared to a 4 series. It's a very low volume car (for whatever reason), and the M2 promises to be pretty limited in that regards too IMO. Which begs the question: is it feasible to add Individual for the 2 series? How many people are ordering their X1 with Individual paint.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm all for individuality and a la carte options. I'm just saying I can see why maybe they dont see a reason to. And like I said, I very much doubt that'll stop most people from getting one. A lack of S engine and potentially high price tag in the other hand...
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 07:27 AM   #74
RingMeister01
Croatian
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Boom
Look at the big picture. I'm still willing to bet that the Individual cars are a giant minority when it comes to paint on the M3/4. And that's multiplied by the fact that we are on an enthusiast forum, including shops that are ordering these cars. I'm still willing to bet that they are a drop in the bucket.

On top of that, look at where the M2 will be coming from. The 2 series is already a very rare animal compared to a 4 series. It's a very low volume car (for whatever reason), and the M2 promises to be pretty limited in that regards too IMO. Which begs the question: is it feasible to add Individual for the 2 series? How many people are ordering their X1 with Individual paint.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm all for individuality and a la carte options. I'm just saying I can see why maybe they dont see a reason to. And like I said, I very much doubt that'll stop most people from getting one. A lack of S engine and potentially high price tag in the other hand...
Currently Individual is not taking any orders on the M3/4 because of the overwhelming demand of special requests. Right now they are 6 months out! The exterior and interior demand is unprecedented. Which is a clear representation that people want a unique car.

Even though a model is rare, there will be demand for special specs (if that model appeals to that buyer). The P GT4 will be way more rare than the M2 and Rennlist is bleeding for a PTS option... In conclusion, Individual is an extremely popular trend and customers have been willing to pay up to $7200 for colors, it's really up to how BMW markets the M2 and to whom are they selling to.

The option should be available.

Edit: I completely agree with you that the technicals are what's most important. Shit if it were 3100 lbs with an S55, it could only come in white for all I care.
Looking for an SUV
Appreciate 1
      03-16-2015, 07:58 AM   #75
jasonheaddinG
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 LBB M2

Quote:
Currently Individual is not taking any orders on the M3/4 because of the overwhelming demand of special requests. Right now they are 6 months out! The exterior and interior demand is unprecedented. Which is a clear representation that people want a unique car.

Even though a model is rare, there will be demand for special specs (if that model appeals to that buyer). The P GT4 will be way more rare than the M2 and Rennlist is bleeding for a PTS option... In conclusion, Individual is an extremely popular trend and customers have been willing to pay up to $7200 for colors, it's really up to how BMW markets the M2 and to whom are they selling to.

Edit: I completely agree with you that the technicals are what's most important. Shit if it were 3100 lbs with an S55, it could only come in white for all I care.
This man is making some serious sense!
Appreciate 1
      03-16-2015, 08:01 AM   #76
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:

They might be backed up, and no doubt that Individual has blown up with the F80/2, but I still think it's a drop in the bucket when you look at the total numbers. It's not like every other build thread on here is an Individual car, know what I mean? Sure, there are people like you that will spec a car exactly to your liking, with cost not being a huge factor, but I promise you are a minority. That's a very elite group right there

Having said that, I definitely wouldn't mind an M car in Daytona or Techno Violet. Or Inca Orange

... but I'll take LBB or AY haha
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 1
      03-16-2015, 08:02 AM   #77
RingMeister01
Croatian
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

They might be backed up, and no doubt that Individual has blown up with the F80/2, but I still think it's a drop in the bucket when you look at the total numbers. It's not like every other build thread on here is an Individual car, know what I mean? Sure, there are people like you that will spec a car exactly to your liking, with cost not being a huge factor, but I promise you are a minority. That's a very elite group right there

Having said that, I definitely wouldn't mind an M car in Daytona or Techno Violet. Or Inca Orange

Inca
Looking for an SUV
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 09:48 AM   #78
jzmundy
Major
Rep
Drives: F97

Since SCOTT mentioned that the car shown privately at Geneva was Donington gray, can we now be certain that color will be offered? I'd hope so.
      03-16-2015, 09:55 AM   #79
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzmundy View Post
Since SCOTT mentioned that the car shown privately at Geneva was Donington gray, can we now be certain that color will be offered? I'd hope so.
Oh wow, I didn't know that, awesome news to start my week on, thanks for relaying the info!! I'm still new to this section of the forum and haven't read every post yet (working on it).

I imagine it would be offered then.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 10:05 AM   #80
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post

I would just keep in mind that even having an individual program adds to brand recognition and helps the marketing department. I know every time I click a thread with a new individual color I'm excited to see how it turned out.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 10:28 AM   #81
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:

Leipzig , home of the 1er , 2er , Active/Gran Tourer , X1 and new X1 , i3 and i8 does not have facilities for Individual and neither of these vehicles are available on the BMW individual programme.
      03-16-2015, 11:12 AM   #82
jasonheaddinG
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Leipzig , home of the 1er , 2er , Active/Gran Tourer , X1 and new X1 , i3 and i8 does not have facilities for Individual and neither of these vehicles are available on the BMW individual programme.
yep..standard response we have heard time and time again. I think why threads like this exist (could potentially be due to the fact some don't know that) but A LOT of us do want individual on a car that should have it. with the exception of those that come out and try to say there is no demand or we are in the minority is just speculation.

so I would think that the limiting factor will be as #26 presented above, the place doesn't support it...unfortunately knowing how the German mind thinks and seeing as how we have seen the same standard response from BMW over and over I think we are SOL on indi.
Appreciate 2
      03-16-2015, 11:25 AM   #83
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonheaddinG View Post
yep..standard response we have heard time and time again. I think why threads like this exist (could potentially be due to the fact some don't know that) but A LOT of us do want individual on a car that should have it. with the exception of those that come out and try to say there is no demand or we are in the minority is just speculation.

so I would think that the limiting factor will be as #26 presented above, the place doesn't support it...unfortunately knowing how the German mind thinks and seeing as how we have seen the same standard response from BMW over and over I think we are SOL on indi.
Step back and think about this. When you say "A LOT" of us, how many is that? In the grand scheme of things, the M2 is going to be a drop in the bucket in terms of production numbers compare to all the other cars, M3/4 included. Look at how many more 435i's there are compared to the M235i.

The i cars don't even have painted hang on sheet metals. So if you take the 2er out of the equation, that leaves the other cars that Scott mentioned. How many people are ordering a 2er Active Tourer in Dakar Yellow?

Like I said, I see your point, but like Ringmeister and other people that want Individual, you guys are absolutely in the minority unfortunately. Doesn't mean I don't want to see it happen, but I can kind of get why it's not available.

I know personally, I have 0 interest in dropping $5k on paint, and the $2k "budget" Individual colors don't do much for me.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 12:30 PM   #84
filet.M2c
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2c / mach e

My last BMW was white, but when I owned e46 M3s I had a carbon black, interlagos blue, and laguna seca blue. I'm just hoping BMW releases a worthy blue on the M2 and I'll be content. Regardless, spending $5k+ on paint for a car that is priced in the 50s is a little outrageous to me. I am all for paying more for performance, but these individual M3/4s are ending up $20k over base price. That would make an indi M2 in the $70s and I don't know about all of you, but I can't justify spending that much on a N55.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 12:41 PM   #85
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergist View Post
My last BMW was white, but when I owned e46 M3s I had a carbon black, interlagos blue, and laguna seca blue. I'm just hoping BMW releases a worthy blue on the M2 and I'll be content. Regardless, spending $5k+ on paint for a car that is priced in the 50s is a little outrageous to me. I am all for paying more for performance, but these individual M3/4s are ending up $20k over base price. That would make an indi M2 in the $70s and I don't know about all of you, but I can't justify spending that much on a N55.
Agreed. Like I said, there are guys out there that will drop $10k+ on a fully custom Individual interior and exterior.

What do you think about Long Beach Blue? I think it's absolutely amazing. Continues the long line of gorgeous blue paint by BMW.
This right now is my first choice:
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 12:55 PM   #86
filet.M2c
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2c / mach e

Quote:
Agreed. Like I said, there are guys out there that will drop $10k+ on a fully custom Individual interior and exterior.

What do you think about Long Beach Blue? I think it's absolutely amazing. Continues the long line of gorgeous blue paint by BMW.
I'm right there with you. I really like LBB from the images, but have yet to see it in person. I'm a sucker for a good blue and if LBB is offered, it will most likely be my top choice.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 12:59 PM   #87
crawfordbay
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

Garage List
1998 BMW M Coupe  [0.00]
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by synergist View Post

My choice too. Hope this is what we're getting.
      03-16-2015, 01:26 PM   #88
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Bummer, I didn't realize this. My hopes are on Donington Gray being an option then!
Appreciate 0