BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum XB7 vs M50/M60 comfort level

02-14-2024, 10:49 AM   #1
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X7;X5;S-Class;Navigator

XB7 vs M50/M60 comfort level

Am thinking of buying a BMW XB7. Does anyone have experience comparing comfort level in the Alpina vs the regular M50/M60 trim?

Talking about suspension and road trips comfort mainly, not the drivetrain.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2024, 06:16 PM   #2
XB7
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 G63 & 24 XB7

Garage List
2024 XB7  [10.00]
The M60 is very nice but the XB7 is another level.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2024, 07:06 PM   #3
TestnDoc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB7 View Post
The M60 is very nice but the XB7 is another level.
Can you expound on that? I currently have an X7 M50, and just ordered an XB7. Thanks.
23 Countryman JW Cooper (wifey)
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2024, 08:42 AM   #4
XM Label
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: XM/XB7

Garage List
2024 XM Label  [0.00]
There is an extra comfort plus setting on XB7 that is unavailable to M60/M50 and is way more comfortable. Alpina dialed the suspension in so well it absorbs all the bumps with minimal fuss. Also feel sport plus setting in XB7 does a better job at minimizing road imperfections but maintaining sporty ride compared to non XB7 counterpart.
Appreciate 1
nvsocr755.00
      02-15-2024, 10:12 AM   #5
XB7
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 XB7  [10.00]
Just read all of the changes Alpina does on the XB7, programing, components etc.
I drove my friends M60 and it was nice but its a stiffer harsher tune to the suspension. It is nice but the Alpina simply feels like it's floating on the road. It is not Rolls Royce comfortable BUT its the closest in comfort Ive found in an SUV.
Appreciate 1
jphcbpa316.00
      02-15-2024, 02:03 PM   #6
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWXMBlack View Post
There is an extra comfort plus setting on XB7 that is unavailable to M60/M50 and is way more comfortable. Alpina dialed the suspension in so well it absorbs all the bumps with minimal fuss. Also feel sport plus setting in XB7 does a better job at minimizing road imperfections but maintaining sporty ride compared to non XB7 counterpart.
Comfort Plus is useless and is just a joke. I coded it on all my BMW and it makes nearly no difference at all other than just making the engine and transmission a bit more comfortable/easy to spin.

I am yet to see any real evidence that the XB& is more comfortable. If anything am worried it is actually more stiff and sporty like the B7 vs M760
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2024, 02:24 PM   #7
XM Label
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 XM Label  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW5and7 View Post
Comfort Plus is useless and is just a joke. I coded it on all my BMW and it makes nearly no difference at all other than just making the engine and transmission a bit more comfortable/easy to spin.

I am yet to see any real evidence that the XB& is more comfortable. If anything am worried it is actually more stiff and sporty like the B7 vs M760
I can definitely tell the difference between comfort and comfort plus in the XB7. One can only do so much with coding a non-alpina vehicle. This XB7 has different dampers, stiffer bushings, reinforced torsion struts, different bulkhead struts, anti roll bar changes, and extra negative camber all of which cannot be changed with coding…the XB7 can be characterized by sporty yet comfy….
Appreciate 3
ledphut227.50
      02-15-2024, 07:45 PM   #8
bimmerdiesel
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335d, G07 M50i, F26 X4

Garage List
2022 bmw X7 M50i  [0.00]
2016 BMW X4  [0.00]
2009 BMW 335D  [0.00]
My friends XB7 feels more comfortable. Doesn’t feel jumpy like M50i specially at low speeds. I assumed better tuned suspension/engine or may be different suspension.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2024, 08:23 PM   #9
TestnDoc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3

Having never driven an XB7 I am a little confused. Are you guys saying the ride is more “floaty” in certain modes? I actually like the way my X7 M50 feels on the road. My wife has an MB GLS 580 which is very floaty and the handling is not great, IMHO. I hope the handling of the XB7 is as good or better than my X7 and not too floaty? Otherwise I’m in for a big disappointment. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks.
23 Countryman JW Cooper (wifey)
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2024, 10:01 PM   #10
XM Label
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 XM Label  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TestnDoc View Post
Having never driven an XB7 I am a little confused. Are you guys saying the ride is more “floaty” in certain modes? I actually like the way my X7 M50 feels on the road. My wife has an MB GLS 580 which is very floaty and the handling is not great, IMHO. I hope the handling of the XB7 is as good or better than my X7 and not too floaty? Otherwise I’m in for a big disappointment. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks.
I wouldn’t call it floaty and definitely handles way better than the MB GLS. The XB7 in sport plus rides better and handles better than M50/M60. The XB7 in comfort plus rides better than M50/M60 in comfort. I don’t know how to explain it other than Alpina has done something to the suspension package to do both comfort and sporty better than non Alpina X7s…
Appreciate 1
      02-16-2024, 12:15 PM   #11
XB7
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 XB7  [10.00]
I own an XB7
I drove my friends X7 M60 for a week.
The XB7 is far more comfortable in Comfort Plus (even in comfort) than the X7 in comfort. It is not boaty like the GLS in comfort plus (I test drove and was looking at the GLS63)
In sport plus its faster and more responsive than the M60
The M60 is a phenomenal SUV but the XB7 is another level.
Ms are more trackish and the XB7 is more of an Autobahn beast.
Since BMW acquired Alpina it seems like they are going to evolve it as competition to Maybach.
Appreciate 2
XM Label936.00
      02-16-2024, 12:30 PM   #12
XM Label
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 XM Label  [0.00]
Quote:
I own an XB7
I drove my friends X7 M60 for a week.
The XB7 is far more comfortable in Comfort Plus (even in comfort) than the X7 in comfort. It is not boaty like the GLS in comfort plus (I test drove and was looking at the GLS63)
In sport plus its faster and more responsive than the M60
The M60 is a phenomenal SUV but the XB7 is another level.
Ms are more trackish and the XB7 is more of an Autobahn beast.
Since BMW acquired Alpina it seems like they are going to evolve it as competition to Maybach.
I couldn’t tell you owned an XB7😜. Thanks for giving me the idea to change my username!
Appreciate 1
XB7125.00
      02-16-2024, 09:39 PM   #13
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Am sorry, but the XBX or Alpina is not even close to Maybach standards, not even close. AMG-like trim for sure, but not even close to a Maybach by any means. In the future? Maybe but I also don't think so because BMW is focused on sportiness than luxury. Let's not forget that the Alpina is yet to get up to the M standard per BMW language in the mean time. Take a look at the very special interior trims offered for the X5 M and even better the M8, you will see what I mean.

I am a fan, and am considering the XB7, but also am going to be reasonable and not oversell myself only cause I like it.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2024, 05:16 AM   #14
Tr4ckD4ys
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 X7 M50i / TBii / Tartufo

The OPs question is a classic case of let’s listen to the ones who actually own/drive an XB7 rather than everybody else’s opinion of Alpina. Remarkable how folks that do not own and may have never even driven an Alpina know so many “facts” (uh… no sorry they’re just opinions) about them. Down to the level of Alpina division-CEO-advise of where the strategy of the company should be headed. A little humility goes a long way.

Now, in my personal opinion (I’m stating this openly so it doesn’t get confused for fact), I don’t think BMW is trying to take Alpina to a Maybach-like luxury competitor at all. I think they will continue to hone Alpina’s branding as one of craftsmanship where estatelyness meets power, whereas Maybach is purely and only about comfort & luxury. One example is that Alpina tends to advertise their throaty exhaust notes whereas Maybach, despite strong engines, advertises their smoothness and suppleness.

Last edited by Tr4ckD4ys; 02-17-2024 at 05:31 AM..
Appreciate 1
      02-17-2024, 05:28 AM   #15
Tr4ckD4ys
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Am sorry, but the XBX or Alpina is not even close to Maybach standards, not even close. AMG-like trim for sure, but not even close to a Maybach by any means. In the future? Maybe but I also don't think so because BMW is focused on sportiness than luxury. Let's not forget that the Alpina is yet to get up to the M standard per BMW language in the mean time. Take a look at the very special interior trims offered for the X5 M and even better the M8, you will see what I mean.

I am a fan, and am considering the XB7, but also am going to be reasonable and not oversell myself only cause I like it.
Very special as in Lavalina Alpina-only leather and seat trims? Alpina-only interior trims like the Alpina Myrtle wood? Alpina only branding and placards all over the damn vehicle? I don’t see how the special M-interiors are any different from the special Alpina interiors aside from speaking a different design language (one more sporty, the other more stately). In fact, materials used in M vehicles are identical to non-M vehicles, that isn’t the case with every Alpina vehicle.

“Alpina get up to M standard per BMW language.” Please elaborate otherwise this just sounds like you’re using the term “BMW language” to reinforce a point without data to back up. A quick look at the BMW website reveals:
- “M - The world’s most powerful letter. Packed with power and maneuverability.”
- “Alpina - Craftsmanship above all else. Concentrated power and beauty.”

The “BMW language” are clearly different, one more geared towards luxury and one more geared towards athleticism. In no way does BMW convey any type of relationship between Alpina and M that puts the two at odds, or even make statements such as M > Alpina. That would make 0 business sense for BMW to do and so they simply don’t.

Last edited by Tr4ckD4ys; 02-17-2024 at 05:39 AM..
Appreciate 1
      02-17-2024, 01:47 PM   #16
xivex
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 m60i

Darn I just bought an x7 m60i and had dismissed the XB7 as not worth the additional price. They didn't have one to drive so I just made the guess.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2024, 07:08 PM   #17
XM Label
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 XM Label  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xivex View Post
Darn I just bought an x7 m60i and had dismissed the XB7 as not worth the additional price. They didn't have one to drive so I just made the guess.
X7 M60i is still an amazing SUV. Congrats!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2024, 08:31 PM   #18
XB7
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 XB7  [10.00]
Did I say it was competition now? NO
I said that I thought they were going to evolve it (evolution takes time). This sentiment has been echoed by my dealer as well as a couple people I know who work for BMW NA but they have all said that's their personal opinion nothing that has been told to them by the upper echelon.
Do I think they are going to try and make it exactly like Maybach, nope but I think they are going to continue to elevate the XB7 to make it more of a consideration for those who may want a Maybach but still want to enjoy driving the car themselves instead of riding in the back of the Maybach (the only way you really enjoy a Maybach)

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      02-17-2024, 09:52 PM   #19
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Did I say it was competition now? NO
I said that I thought they were going to evolve it (evolution takes time). This sentiment has been echoed by my dealer as well as a couple people I know who work for BMW NA but they have all said that's their personal opinion nothing that has been told to them by the upper echelon.
Do I think they are going to try and make it exactly like Maybach, nope but I think they are going to continue to elevate the XB7 to make it more of a consideration for those who may want a Maybach but still want to enjoy driving the car themselves instead of riding in the back of the Maybach (the only way you really enjoy a Maybach)
Let me simply explain one thing: Some of those who can just afford XB7, can't afford a Maybach (true for the S-class vs B7 and same for GLS vs X7). The base of each starts a few 10s thousands and even up to 50-60K more when comparing Alpina vs Maybach. Maybach is there for a different market and targeting different people. And, no, BMW leadership isn't looking nor planning to make the Alpina a Maybach-like
In fact, for other BMW vehicles, the Alpina is a lesser vehicle compared the M Competition (B8 vs M8-Comp is a good example, even some of the interior colors and exclusive leather and seats available for the M8 aren't offered for the B8, though they could). Unfortunetly there is no X7 real M like we see for the X5M, even though it was a secret project in the works for the X7 LCI that never made it in the end.

Last edited by BMW5and7; 02-17-2024 at 09:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2024, 06:08 AM   #20
Tr4ckD4ys
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Let me simply explain one thing: Some of those who can just afford XB7, can't afford a Maybach (true for the S-class vs B7 and same for GLS vs X7). The base of each starts a few 10s thousands and even up to 50-60K more when comparing Alpina vs Maybach. Maybach is there for a different market and targeting different people. And, no, BMW leadership isn't looking nor planning to make the Alpina a Maybach-like
In fact, for other BMW vehicles, the Alpina is a lesser vehicle compared the M Competition (B8 vs M8-Comp is a good example, even some of the interior colors and exclusive leather and seats available for the M8 aren't offered for the B8, though they could). Unfortunetly there is no X7 real M like we see for the X5M, even though it was a secret project in the works for the X7 LCI that never made it in the end.
The latter part of your post is simply not true. I don’t know where you’re getting this from. In no case of current vehicle is the Alpina version “lesser” than the M version. They are different and get different options but by no means are the options comparatively “one better vs the other”. This is simply bu**sh**. Why are you trying to convince yourself or others of this when a simple look at the BMW website proves you completely wrong! Maybe a disgruntled M8 owner? Couldn’t get your hands on the Alpina?

Specifically: The leather options for M8 and B8 are identical. The only difference is some color-schemes are geared towards M and others geared towards Alpina. This isn’t one better vs the other it’s just simply different marketing as referred to above. On top of which you can’t get some of the exclusive (actual material and parts difference) you can get for the Alpina in the M vehicle. So not only is your statement not true, if anything, the opposite is more likely to be true: it starts with exterior colors that are ALPINA exclusive (there are no M exclusive colors), ALPINA exclusive leather (Lavalina; again, there is no M specific leather, it’s all just merino), ALPINA exclusive engine and suspension parts (The S68 V8 is the same in the M and m60i, just a different tune). So simply put: You are confused. By all means ALPINA B8 is the “better” vehicle from an exclusivity perspective than the M8.

Let’s also keep in mind that what BMW does and says can differ quite a bit from market to market. So whatever you’re seeing or hearing in Europe (considering how you’re posting I’m assuming you are in Europe) isn’t true for what others are seeing and hearing in the US or Asia or elsewhere.
Appreciate 1
      02-18-2024, 09:50 AM   #21
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr4ckD4ys View Post
…//… This is simply bu**sh**. Why are you trying to convince yourself or others of this when a simple look at the BMW website proves you completely wrong! Maybe a disgruntled M8 owner? Couldn’t get your hands on the Alpina? ..//..
A good example of people that are “emotionally-attached” to their car that they start to personalize the issue, disrespect others, and make poor word choices. I won’t get down to this low levels of debate when such words are involved and respond to these words. By the way, no, you are wrong : ) The M8 had unique seating options and color that’s not available for the Alpina : ) Whether u like it or not, facts are facts.

For the record, my M8 had higher MSRP than the highest possible MSRP of any B8 existed at the time, the choice was too easy for me at that time. Also I recently cross-shopped the B7 vs the M760 V12 too, this was a hard one I admit it, but I happily settled on the M760 replacing my S-class despite the M760 still not being a true M, but most people recommended the M760 being superior in some ways. So it’s not that I have dreams of getting an Alpina. And, am currently considering the XB7 since the X7 doesn’t offer any better options for the X7 as in the case of other cars, and I liked the two X7s we owned this far but am looking for more comfort for road trips combined with better performance for our next SUV. I simply go with facts and have no interest to convince myself about the Alpina being better or lesser. I don’t care. In many cases, it is lesser, and for some other cars it’s the better option available. By no means it’s designed to be superior all the time as in the case of Maybach for Mbenz. It’s simply not; probably closer to AMG vehicles for Mbenz. Knowing BMW very well and I won’t elaborate further how I know, M vehicles is at the top of pyramids for BMW business wise.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2024, 09:56 AM   #22
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Going back to the original topic, am really looking for people who owned BOTH, the M50/M60 and the XB7 to share their experience about the comfort level in the XB7. Is it superior to M50/M60? Slightly better? Or just as good? Any experience coding Comfort Plus in the M50/M60 compared to how it feels in the XB7?

Please stay away from the inspirational and emotional aspect. Simply looking for real-life experiences between both.

Last edited by BMW5and7; 02-18-2024 at 11:44 AM..
Appreciate 1
ledphut227.50