BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-22-2022, 05:43 PM   #1
Chambers90
Rep
Drives: BMW f15 50i

Dentprotony caliper upgrade - f15 50i

Recently had the pleasure of receiving and installing Tony's front caliper upgrade for my 50i.

The kit looks absolutely stunning and anyone on the fence about this will not be disappointed.

The Brakes now feel even more awesome and when in spirited driving, have much more bite and repeatability of heavy breaking, not that I drive like that usually but I wanted to put the calipers through the pacers.

The best part about the whole transaction was Tony's customers service, he's prompt, he helped overcome some hurdles and was very informative.

Ohh and I live in another country but Tony still managed everything professionally. Buy these if you have a chance.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      10-24-2022, 03:11 AM   #2
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

Hey, how much was it to ship it here?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2022, 03:45 AM   #3
Chambers90
Rep
Drives: BMW f15 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilled View Post
Quote:
Tony sorted all the shipping and made sure to get the best prices. I think for the fronts only, with out pads to save shipping, ended up being a smidge over 2k. Obviously shipping will increase depending on total hardware weight etc

Are you looking at doing the upgrade?
Appreciate 1
Chilled366.00
      10-24-2022, 05:10 AM   #4
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chambers90 View Post
Tony sorted all the shipping and made sure to get the best prices. I think for the fronts only, with out pads to save shipping, ended up being a smidge over 2k. Obviously shipping will increase depending on total hardware weight etc

Are you looking at doing the upgrade?
Cheers.

Nah, I have an x5m. Just been watching in mild shock the price of shipping from US, skyrocket over the last 6ish month.

Last edited by Chilled; 10-24-2022 at 05:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2022, 08:07 AM   #5
Clifton
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cars with tires

Is is just the photo or does the caliper not make contact with the entire face of the rotor?

On the image with the wheel installed, the inner 1/3 diameter of the rotor still looks untouched compared outer 2/3rds. Makes it appear that the rotor is too large for the caliper and is not making use of full surface.

Appreciate 2
ggunn9160.00
lht5059121.50
      10-24-2022, 09:58 PM   #6
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep

I think its because his using different pads. I saw Tony's original post for the F15 update and initially they start out similar to this, but then the wear pattern definitely goes in close to the hub.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2022, 06:36 AM   #7
Clifton
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think its because his using different pads. I saw Tony's original post for the F15 update and initially they start out similar to this, but then the wear pattern definitely goes in close to the hub.
Zoom in on the photo with caliper behind the wheel. The caliper has a 1/3 rd surface gap between it and the hub. The rotor shouldn't have any friction surface exposed, it should be covered by the caliper. That caliper is not the correct size for that large rotor. Different pads won’t matter as pads mount within the outline of the caliper.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2022, 07:18 PM   #8
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifton View Post
Zoom in on the photo with caliper behind the wheel. The caliper has a 1/3 rd surface gap between it and the hub. The rotor shouldn't have any friction surface exposed, it should be covered by the caliper. That caliper is not the correct size for that large rotor. Different pads won’t matter as pads mount within the outline of the caliper.
Yes and no. On some cars that is the case, the caliper goes most/if not all the way to the hat.

That is not the case on these //M. I'm too lazy to go and take a pic of my X. So i found these 2.

youtube vid.

Lets just input from the guy whom sold it.
dentprotony@gmail.com
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2022, 08:42 PM   #9
Clifton
Captain
United_States
Rep

That looks very odd. Are those stock?

Below is from my 997 and the last two are F15 BBK.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-27-2022, 02:48 AM   #10
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
That looks very odd. Are those stock?

Below is from my 997 and the last two are F15 BBK.
The pics i posted, yeah looks like it.

When i get home, I can take a photo of my //M's

But looking at his pics zoomed in (maybe its the wheel covering it), on a second thought it does kinda look like the actual pistons are not centered to the rotor.

Look at those 2 pics above, the pistons look centered on the rotors.

Last edited by Chilled; 10-27-2022 at 03:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2022, 10:52 AM   #11
Clifton
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
But looking at his pics zoomed in (maybe its the wheel covering it), on a second thought it does kinda look like the actual pistons are not centered to the rotor.

Yeah, you are seeing what I'm seeing too. Even in the reference photos you posted, the Pistons center on the rotor.

When focusing on the pistons of the OP's caliper, they do not center to the rotor's total surface. Even with larger pads, the pad would stick out well beyond the center of piston and pad contact; creating uneven force distribution.

If the OP's rotor had a larger hat, the caliper rotor combo would make more sense. What is posted appears to be the wrong combo.

Appreciate 0
      11-05-2022, 10:30 PM   #12
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, you are seeing what I'm seeing too. Even in the reference photos you posted, the Pistons center on the rotor.

When focusing on the pistons of the OP's caliper, they do not center to the rotor's total surface. Even with larger pads, the pad would stick out well beyond the center of piston and pad contact; creating uneven force distribution.

If the OP's rotor had a larger hat, the caliper rotor combo would make more sense. What is posted appears to be the wrong combo.
The calipers are not oem. I think he used some Porsche calipers. Is a bit curious as to why. You can source the oem for around $1000.

Would love to see what they look like installed without the rim and how much of the brake pad is exposed outside of the caliper.

Edit: this pic of the guy who installed on another vehicle looks to fit just fine.
Attached Images

'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2022, 12:30 PM   #13
dentprotony@gmail.com
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 f85

Quote:
Is is just the photo or does the caliper not make contact with the entire face of the rotor?

On the image with the wheel installed, the inner 1/3 diameter of the rotor still looks untouched compared outer 2/3rds. Makes it appear that the rotor is too large for the caliper and is not making use of full surface.
Wrong pad been used with my caliper, we thought about getting pads locally in Australia to save a little on shipping (pads are huge and weight a good bit), so the pads that Lindsay got were for a wrong vehicle, pad is off center and doesn’t cover the rotor properly. I was able to ship the correct pad to make things right and make sure owner gets the most out of my kit, plus safety aspect of this, ofcourse. I hope Lindsay would post the end result pictures with the correct pad when she gets an opportunity.but pads don’t necessarily cover the rotor all the way, there is a few reasons for that.

PS sorry just now saw this post or I would’ve responded sooner lol
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2022, 12:40 PM   #14
dentprotony@gmail.com
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
The calipers are not oem. I think he used some Porsche calipers. Is a bit curious as to why. You can source the oem for around $1000.

Would love to see what they look like installed without the rim and how much of the brake pad is exposed outside of the caliper.

Edit: this pic of the guy who installed on another vehicle looks to fit just fine.
Reason for us using porsche calipers and bmw 550iGT rotors is the price of the latter. Oem rotors cost 350-400 on average to replace, rotors for 550igt start at like 60 bucks front and rears are like 45 whilst mperformance rotors are like 250 each. All that said i always recommend pagid brand for front rotors because they come high carbon steel and are coated. They have aluminum hub so are much lighter that full cast discs and only cost 125 ea vs 350. You literally saving hundreds with my kits just on rotors. Another thing to keep in mind is that my kits easily clear 19” wheels and some 18”, while mperformance can clear only some 19s and typically 20” are minimal to fit. Pad selection could be another reason (lots of choices for my kits) but i could be wrong, it been months since i checked for pads for x5m. And last but not least, the rotational weight, you are looking at 30lb rotor vs 40lb rotor weight. And only 20mm diameter difference. Side by side discs look almost identical, but one thing i can promise is youll feel that 20lb rotational difference. This will affect your acceleration, braking, and fuel mileage. Hopefully this makes sense and if yall got any questions then you can ask. I can be reached at 6016181023 text please if you have any questions or ready to place an order.

PS my kits have many reviews and pictures on fb forums e70/f15/diesel

PPS 900-1k will get you some beat up calipers. Youll still need rotors, pads, and prep/paint work if you’re worried about looks (im sure we all are) so you’re easily in a 2k range just fronts. You can get full set up at 2440 from me front and rear. Id say its a steal. If i didnt have x5m my kit is what id be running 100%
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2022, 03:52 PM   #15
dentprotony@gmail.com
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chambers90 View Post
Recently had the pleasure of receiving and installing Tony's front caliper upgrade for my 50i.

The kit looks absolutely stunning and anyone on the fence about this will not be disappointed.

The Brakes now feel even more awesome and when in spirited driving, have much more bite and repeatability of heavy breaking, not that I drive like that usually but I wanted to put the calipers through the pacers.

The best part about the whole transaction was Tony's customers service, he's prompt, he helped overcome some hurdles and was very informative.

Ohh and I live in another country but Tony still managed everything professionally. Buy these if you have a chance.
Thank you for kind words, glad you love your brakes. Also let me know when youre ready for rear calipers and ill make it happen!
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2022, 05:24 PM   #16
BlackBeans
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 | F15 X5 50i

Nice upgrade!! What was the cost of the kit??
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2022, 05:47 PM   #17
dentprotony@gmail.com
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBeans View Post
Full kit is 2440, thats all 4 corners
Attached Images

Last edited by dentprotony@gmail.com; 11-07-2022 at 06:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2022, 07:20 PM   #18
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentprotony@gmail.com View Post
Quote:

Reason for us using porsche calipers and bmw 550iGT rotors is the price of the latter. Oem rotors cost 350-400 on average to replace, rotors for 550igt start at like 60 bucks front and rears are like 45 whilst mperformance rotors are like 250 each. All that said i always recommend pagid brand for front rotors because they come high carbon steel and are coated. They have aluminum hub so are much lighter that full cast discs and only cost 125 ea vs 350. You literally saving hundreds with my kits just on rotors. Another thing to keep in mind is that my kits easily clear 19" wheels and some 18", while mperformance can clear only some 19s and typically 20" are minimal to fit. Pad selection could be another reason (lots of choices for my kits) but i could be wrong, it been months since i checked for pads for x5m. And last but not least, the rotational weight, you are looking at 30lb rotor vs 40lb rotor weight. And only 20mm diameter difference. Side by side discs look almost identical, but one thing i can promise is youll feel that 20lb rotational difference. This will affect your acceleration, braking, and fuel mileage. Hopefully this makes sense and if yall got any questions then you can ask. I can be reached at 6016181023 text please if you have any questions or ready to place an order.

PS my kits have many reviews and pictures on fb forums e70/f15/diesel

PPS 900-1k will get you some beat up calipers. Youll still need rotors, pads, and prep/paint work if you're worried about looks (im sure we all are) so you're easily in a 2k range just fronts. You can get full set up at 2440 from me front and rear. Id say its a steal. If i didnt have x5m my kit is what id be running 100%
Wasn't bashing you or your product. And glad to see I was correct and wasn't misrepresenting.

Nothing wrong with what your putting together. What size rotor width and thickness do these calipers you use take.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2022, 10:05 PM   #19
dentprotony@gmail.com
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Wasn't bashing you or your product. And glad to see I was correct and wasn't misrepresenting.

Nothing wrong with what your putting together. What size rotor width and thickness do these calipers you use take.
Oh you good , my friend, i just want to show theres more to the product than the looks, also you save a chunk of money and retain functionality. Many of my customers Tow or take their x series to the track and my kits provide consistent performance in pretty much any situation.

Front rotors are 374x36mm and are off 2014 bmw 550iGT, rears are 345mm and ones off bmw x5 50i
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Maverik2594146.00
      11-08-2022, 08:29 AM   #20
sukhk527
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 XDrive35i

Garage List
I went with Tony's Kit too for front and rear. zero issues and superb customer service.
Attached Images

2017 X5 XDrive35i X-Line | Sophisto Grey | MHD Full Flexfuel Tuned | Mosselman Turbo| Sutphin Tuning TCU | Nostrum Stage 2 HPFP | ER Charge Pipe | BimmerHausPerformance Intake and Inlet | ApexBuilt Catted DP | VRSF FMIC | Zeitronix Flexfuel Kit | KateCool Oil Cooler | Variant Wheels | Conti DWS06+ |
Appreciate 1
ggunn9160.00
      11-08-2022, 09:57 AM   #21
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentprotony@gmail.com View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBeans View Post
Full kit is 2440, thats all 4 corners
That's a great deal then for rotors and calipers and hardware.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0