BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum X7 Quirks and Irks

05-08-2019, 09:28 AM   #1
fdeschouwe
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 5.0M

Garage List
X7 Quirks and Irks

Took delivery of my X7 5.0M ten days ago. Just realized I already put 1200miles on the car.

Here are some of the quirks of the new car:
-the 2nd row seat has some issues. if it does not click into position for some reason such as a soccer sock in the rail, the driver seat will not adjust or recline to its driver setting.
- every time the second row seat is moved to let the passengers access the third row. The driver seat moves and you have to manually move your driver seat back to your preferred setting.
- the a/c sync buttom which I use frequently as I always transport kids, is embetted in the a/c menu. In my 7series it was a button on the main panel.
- the crystal shifter has a cheap piece of plastic on the back end which is enoying knowing you paid extra for the glass "look".
- the stargaze digital led feature is only on the glas moon roof on the first and second row not on the third row. Still cool at night.
- the second row entertainment equipment is only android compatible when it comes to mirroring or playback capability. I was able to make it work but for a $2.200 option it's unacceptable to not have it seamlessly work with Apple products.
- the X7 M has a wider threshold than the regular X7 and yes your pants will get dirty getting in and out of the car, rubbing against the car.
- the car does not lower when doors are open which in my book defeats the purpose.
Appreciate 2
      05-08-2019, 10:18 AM   #2
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Quirks and Irks? Sounds like a Doug Demurro thing.

Sorry to hear about the stuff, but definitely appreciate you letting everybody know about it. I'm surprised on some of the 2nd row things, like the driver's seat not going back to the profile setting, once the 2nd row dance is done.

When you say the "X7 M has a wider threshold than the regular X7", are you talking about the lower body rocker panels on the M-sport model? Because the running boards (only available on the non-M-sport luxury model) are the things that stick out the furthest on the X7.

I hear you about the car lowering when doors are opened. Seems to me you should be able to program the car to always lower/raise to a particular height every time you shut the car off.

Believe it or not, there actually is an easy "hidden" shortcut for temperature sync. Press down on the A/C part of the "Menu / A/C" button. Or if you press up on the Menu part of the same button, you can do it digitally via iDrive.

You're welcome.

Get the word out.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 11:02 AM   #3
LittleJoe
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 EQS 580 SUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdeschouwe View Post
- the car does not lower when doors are open which in my book defeats the purpose.
I agree with you on this one. My wife and I wait for our X7 to lower every time before exiting the vehicle but if we or a passenger opens a door, it stops lowering until all doors are closed. Annoying!

The 2020 Mercedes GLE (equipped with the $8,100 E-Active Body Control suspension) lowers automatically when the engine is stopped. It sure seems like a reasonable option the engineers could have included with the X7.

Last edited by LittleJoe; 05-08-2019 at 11:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 11:15 AM   #4
davecraze
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 & 2022 X5

"the a/c sync buttom which I use frequently as I always transport kids, is embetted in the a/c menu. In my 7series it was a button on the main panel."

I have a 2019 X5 and was able to map the a/c sync to one of the programmable 8 buttons on the dash. I assume the X7 can do the same.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 11:38 AM   #5
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJoe View Post
I agree with you on this one. My wife and I wait for our X7 to lower every time before exiting the vehicle but if we or a passenger opens a door, it stops lowering until all doors are closed. Annoying!

The 2020 Mercedes GLE (equipped with the $8,100 E-Active Body Control suspension) lowers automatically when the engine is stopped. It sure seems like a reasonable option the engineers could have included with the X7.
LittleJoe are you manually commanding the X7 to lower every time you stop the car, using the height lever?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 11:40 AM   #6
LittleJoe
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Blue View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJoe View Post

LittleJoe are you manually commanding the X7 to lower every time you stop the car, using the height lever?
Yes, it's the only way to lower the X7 to the lowest position before exiting.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 11:41 AM   #7
PIPE_DR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535xi,2014 x5, 2019 X7

Quote:
Took delivery of my X7 5.0M ten days ago. Just realized I already put 1200miles on the car.

Here are some of the quirks of the new car:
-the 2nd row seat has some issues. if it does not click into position for some reason such as a soccer sock in the rail, the driver seat will not adjust or recline to its driver setting.
- every time the second row seat is moved to let the passengers access the third row. The driver seat moves and you have to manually move your driver seat back to your preferred setting.
- the a/c sync buttom which I use frequently as I always transport kids, is embetted in the a/c menu. In my 7series it was a button on the main panel.
- the crystal shifter has a cheap piece of plastic on the back end which is enoying knowing you paid extra for the glass "look".
- the stargaze digital led feature is only on the glas moon roof on the first and second row not on the third row. Still cool at night.
- the second row entertainment equipment is only android compatible when it comes to mirroring or playback capability. I was able to make it work but for a $2.200 option it's unacceptable to not have it seamlessly work with Apple products.
- the X7 M has a wider threshold than the regular X7 and yes your pants will get dirty getting in and out of the car, rubbing against the car.
Hear you on the quirks. So what do you like on your new X7?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 01:16 PM   #8
Missduvy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 50i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by davecraze View Post
"the a/c sync buttom which I use frequently as I always transport kids, is embetted in the a/c menu. In my 7series it was a button on the main panel."

I have a 2019 X5 and was able to map the a/c sync to one of the programmable 8 buttons on the dash. I assume the X7 can do the same.
How’d you do it? That would be great.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 02:45 PM   #9
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Again, there should be no reason to have to map the temperature sync function. There actually is an easy "hidden" shortcut for temperature sync. Press down on the A/C part of the "Menu / A/C" button. Or if you press up on the Menu part of the same button, you can do it digitally via iDrive.
Appreciate 1
      05-08-2019, 06:08 PM   #10
FreddyBMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i iSTEP 07/2020.54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Blue View Post
Again, there should be no reason to have to map the temperature sync function. There actually is an easy "hidden" shortcut for temperature sync. Press down on the A/C part of the "Menu / A/C" button. Or if you press up on the Menu part of the same button, you can do it digitally via iDrive.
Great. Didn't know that. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 07:16 AM   #11
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyBMW View Post
Great. Didn't know that. Thanks.
Even easier just say "hey BMW (or whatever you've renamed your car), sync temperature"
themnmd1687.00
      05-09-2019, 10:05 AM   #12
JayPichardo
BMW Client Advisor
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
-the 2nd row seat has some issues. if it does not click into position for some reason such as a soccer sock in the rail, the driver seat will not adjust or recline to its driver setting

Just make sure the seats are locked in place.

It will go back on its on, give it an extra second.

Follow this tip

- the crystal shifter has a cheap piece of plastic on the back end which is annoying knowing you paid extra for the glass "look".

Heard that before

Blame Thanos

- the second row entertainment equipment is only android compatible when it comes to mirroring or playback capability. I was able to make it work but for a $2.200 option, it's unacceptable to not have it seamlessly work with Apple products.

Blame Steve Jobs or do this

Race car!

That would be cool!

Top M Client Advisor in New England.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 11:45 AM   #13
fdeschouwe
Rep

Garage List
yes I am doing it manually, I have not found any other way so far.
thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 11:48 AM   #14
fdeschouwe
Rep

Garage List
Even though I have a ton of packages i do not know about the "hey bmw feature"
do not know where to find it or enable it ..
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 12:38 PM   #15
LittleJoe
Major
Rep

Quote:
Even though I have a ton of packages i do not know about the "hey bmw feature"
do not know where to find it or enable it ..
Just say "Hello BMW" and the system will ask you want you want the same as if you pressed the voice button on the right side of the steering wheel. If it doesn't respond, you may have this feature disabled. To enable watch this video:

Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 02:56 PM   #16
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

Presets is not remembered as last position and instead defaults back to XM, FM, etc. - This is my biggest nitpick with the X7. I would believe most people on Day 1 set their radio stations as Presets and spend the rest of the time they drive the car jumping between stations on the Presets list. Despite this, every time you end a trip and start a new one, the radio defaults to the last band you were listening to instead of the Presets list.

Wireless charger target zone - Every time I lie my phone down on the wireless charging pad it's an adventure, the sweet spot of the coil is too small, and one has to pull it down and towards the right to maybe get a solid connection that will last the duration of one trip.

Wireless charger blue light location - The car must have been designed for the UK as the blue light that indicates your smartphone is actually wirelessly charging is on the left edge of the pad which is impossible to see from the drivers seat unless you stretch your head across the center console.

Awkward way the front compartment opens - I'm not sure who thought that pushing down and forward on a wood door coated in shellac was a good idea but my wife can't figure it out and its a matter of time before she scratches the hell out of it.

Really small glove compartment - For the biggest car in BMW history it surely has the smallest glovebox in BMW history. Can't even fit the usual amount of napkins and papers in there, and it doesn't bow down deep inside. It has an almost flat bottom so keys and pens move all over the place including forward right into your lap.

No red/blue temperature shortcut - For long-time BMW enthusiasts this one is a huge miss, that little red/blue temperature wheel really made a quick and easy business of tweaking the temperature to be just right in winter, spring, summer, and fall. Now it's buried in the climate control menus. And unlike the Sync function, you can't make a 1-8 shortcut button to it. I use this wheel all the time. Now I have to drill through menus and it's awful.

Armrest leather and delicate aluminum trim unprotected with 3rd row folded down - We spend most of our time with the last row stored and use the back space for hockey equipment, groceries, soccer gear, etc. I wish BMW would have engineered for that use case and protect the 3rd row's armrests and aluminum trims so they aren't so exposed and won't get scratched.

Slowness of 3rd and 2nd row seats - I get the fact that the car is automated in this regard, but it's way too slow to be practical and frustrates the family. And since there are 4 different ways to trigger the movement of the middle row, couldn't one of them have been good 'ol manual mode so that my kids can get in and out in a fraction of the time?

First row seats move when back rows move - Heaven help a pregnant woman in the front passenger seat if the driver has to make a pitstop to pick up someone who has to get in the 3rd row as her seat folds almost perpendicular and slides towards the dashboard unexpectedly.

Captain's Chair passthru wasn't considered - It's like BMW went out of their way to say "nope, not going to let you use this car like a minivan, not going to make it easy for kids to go through the side doors and glide into the 3rd row" when it's something that would be a huge advantage to consumers and against their competitors. The armrests should have been made thinner or removable and that plastic tray cup holder shouldn't be on the floor. It takes almost 40 seconds to get a child into the 3rd row with all the time to wait for the motors to move everything and a second row passthru would have been a welcome addition. It's like BMW doesn't know who is buying these things.

Stunning lack of 3rd row air vents - This one is so outrageous its mind-boggling. If you don't have a tough winter and you think you don't need the Cold Weather Package, guess what- without it, you don't get A/C vents for the passengers in the claustrophobic 3rd row. They should call it a Hot Weather Package instead or at least train their salespeople on the subject. My kids are going to hate me on hot days. What $100K 7-passenger luxury SUV doesn't have rear air vents?

No remember last position on auto start/stop - BMW used to, as a courtesy upon request, code the car so that those of us who hate the start/stop feature could have it disabled. Now they don't do it. And the button on the X7 is small, slippery, and doesn't take on the first attempt half the time.

CarPlay works less than half the time - BMW says the problem is Apple's iOS but without fail every time BMW makes an iDrive update it breaks iOS and not the other way around. You would think they would figure it out by now.

The car can lower itself but it doesn't - I really like this one. Want the car to squat down when you put it in Park? Nope. Want the car to stay low down to make it easy to get back in on the next trip? Nope. Want the stance to be way down for a lower sense of gravity in Comfort or Sport mode? Nope. Want the car to be as low as humanly possible so you can squeeze into a parking garage without decapitating the cargo box on the roof? Nope. What is the point of this feature? It's an airbag to nowhere.

No bottle strap in rear compartment like 4 Series - Over the years BMW has added some nice touches in the trunks and rear compartments of its cars like the elastic bottle strap in my X5 which was the perfect place for a sports bottle enroute to baseball practice. In the X7, the SUV flagship, we get a small space with a tiny net and no other options in the most cavernous rear compartment in brand history.

Big Picture #1: It's like the designers assumed a world where everyone was using all three rows all the time. The electric folding seats are pitifully slow. The leather armrests and aluminum trim are exposed to damage from sliding cans and hockey sticks. There is no sense of tie-downs or nets to hold groceries or water bottles in place.

Big Picture #2: They call this "automation"? To get going on my trip, I need to a) start the car, b) hit the Auto Stop/Start button to off, c) hit the radio menu and d) navigate to Presets, e) drill in menus to get to the red/blue temperature wheel, and f) hit one of the shortcut buttons to set climate control to Sync. That's 6 actions in my X7 that used to be 1 in my X5. Not good.

There are many wonderful things about the X7, but in almost every case BMW has taken a step backwards on consumer conveniences and I can't fathom why. Their User Interface may be the best in the business but whoever is making the User Engagement decisions has most definitely never had kids, never owned a minivan, is never in a rush to get anywhere, and really likes to push a lot of buttons for the sake of a clean looking cockpit.
Appreciate 1
Ilyam5888.50
      05-09-2019, 03:49 PM   #17
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Good list there, Todd.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 04:09 PM   #18
Missduvy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 50i

Garage List
I just had this conversation with my husband today. I loooooove the car and am so amazed by the vast majority of its qualities. But it’s the things it doesn’t “remember” that kill me. When i get in, I have to remember to 1) push the auto stop button to turn that off 2) redo my backrest width 3) choose a drive mode, as it always reverts back to Comfort. I just wish it would remember how it was when I got out last!
Appreciate 1
Ilyam5888.50
      05-09-2019, 07:09 PM   #19
kdesign7
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i

I thought someone said in a thread you can ask the dealership to program the auto stop/start to remember your last setting? Is that no longer the case?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 08:38 PM   #20
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdesign7 View Post
I thought someone said in a thread you can ask the dealership to program the auto stop/start to remember your last setting? Is that no longer the case?
No longer the case. But it can be coded by the underground coding community.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 08:50 PM   #21
kdesign7
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i

@toddwalton damn. I was looking forward to that. Don't know much about the coding stuff. Is it easy?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 09:30 PM   #22
MarkH62
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X7, 750Li

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdesign7 View Post
I also thought that, but when I asked my dealer if their techs could do it, was told that they are not allowed to as it is a "government requirement" and if I had it done it would void the warranty :{
Honestly, I could probably adapt to the slight lag in restarting, but I worry about the wear & tear on the starter.
The killer, here in Texas, is the reduced cooling when the engine is off. Not what you expect when you've bought a "luxury" vehicle.
Appreciate 0