BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum One-of-a-kind BMW X7 Pick-up!

07-05-2019, 02:57 PM   #67
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mposter View Post
I traded my fully loaded X3 in for a Ridgeline Sport. I got tired of putting mulch bags in my nice SUV. I was never a truck guy, but I'm liking it more and more. The bed is 6 ft with the tailgate down, the bed is flat all the way across. I don't need a plastic liner because it's already composite. I don't like to put pizza or to-go food inside because it stinks up the AC, so I put it in the trunk ( bed has a trunk ) . I also put groceries in the trunk. I miss the turbo torque/acceleration of the X3, but the Ridgeline has almost 300 HP .

Since I've owned it, I've hauled a huge generator, mulch, lawnmower, entire fence project with 6ft boards and later with 12ft boards, couches, boxes, washer and dryer.

I use to rent the Home Depot truck but if you weren't there at opening, you have to wait for whoever to finish their project and get back.

I don't think I would buy the BMW truck because of the cost alone. Second reason is because I would be afraid to ruin the paint , interior, etc. My Ridgeline is just a truck . I don't worry about anything with it, not even the mileage or the "50,000 mile BMW warranty period"
Best of all, I get to fill up with normal fuel again lol !
Enjoy your Pilot with a cargo bed, which is what the current Ridgeline actually is. The Pilot is not a bad platform to begin with and for light duty, the Ridgeline is not a bad idea.

Personally I just don't care for trucks. I respect their capabilities and appeal but not for me.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 2
///M TOWN13117.00
      07-05-2019, 03:00 PM   #68
MiamiFan13
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: i4-e40 335i 03 Cobra,Jeep SRT8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiFan13 View Post
BMW has no shame at all anymore. They've carbon- copied from Infiniti and Hyundai with their cars and now they've come at us with a high-end Honda Ridgeline. Incredible.
Hmm the other way around. The Koreans poached BMW execs and engineers to benchmark, carbon copy and build the cars for them.
Maybe so...but some of the current BMWs look like Lexus/Infiniti from 5+yrs ago.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 03:08 PM   #69
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
BMW has no shame at all anymore. They've carbon- copied from Infiniti and Hyundai with their cars and now they've come at us with a high-end Honda Ridgeline. Incredible.
Hmm the other way around. The Koreans poached BMW execs and engineers to benchmark, carbon copy and build the cars for them.
Maybe so...but some of the current BMWs look like Lexus/Infiniti from 5+yrs ago.
I am not sure I can agree with that 100%

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 03:11 PM   #70
ellipsis212
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnEnglish View Post
The Ridgeline is amazing. It's perfect for what most people use a truck for. It's problem is that it doesn't project insecurity nearly as well as a "real" truck.
I think you are very much confused about how a pickup is used. A Ridgeline is not a truck you can work out of. Perhaps the salesman can work out of a Ridgeline, but he can do the same out of a Civic...so why buy a Ridgeline at all?

Anyone with tools and equipment does NOT buy a Ridgeline.
How about this? I'd guess that 80% of the pickups I see on the road are never used for anything more than the occasional trip to Lowe's so a Ridgeline would be a great choice for most truck buyers.

The American auto industry is only profitable because of all the insecure suckers willing to pony up for a rugged lifestyle costume with big off-road and towing numbers.
Appreciate 5
530iDriver1707.50
clee1982796.00
CP911985.50
      07-05-2019, 03:23 PM   #71
hekki
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bentayga, GT3 RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonOne View Post
Not bad at all.
Wonder where they got that taillights from.. maybe from RR?
I would still take a Tacoma TRD PRO over this
I got you: RR Lights only 60 €
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 03:27 PM   #72
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellipsis212 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
The Ridgeline is amazing. It's perfect for what most people use a truck for. It's problem is that it doesn't project insecurity nearly as well as a "real" truck.
I think you are very much confused about how a pickup is used. A Ridgeline is not a truck you can work out of. Perhaps the salesman can work out of a Ridgeline, but he can do the same out of a Civic...so why buy a Ridgeline at all?

How about this? I'd guess that 80% of the pickups I see on the road are never used for anything more than the occasional trip to Lowe's so a Ridgeline would be a great choice for most truck buyers.

The American auto industry is only profitable because of all the insecure suckers willing to pony up for a rugged lifestyle costume with big off-road and towing numbers.
Not to mention 84 month financing? And they wonder why they have no retirement savings and find themselves working at age 75 as greeters in Walmart...

Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 03:45 PM   #73
Ghostriderf80
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Just a Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakine_surf View Post
I'm sorry but anyone in the actual pickup market isn't going to buy one of these... cool idea, but the world doesn't need more Honda pilots.

I have BMW's but I also have a real truck to do real truck things... this likely would end up being a $100k status symbol for the pavement if it ever made it to production.
It should not be made, reminds me of the Cadillac escalade truck. Why? So guy can put in his briefcase and occasional bag of straw.
Appreciate 1
      07-05-2019, 03:46 PM   #74
rad doc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M AW loaded

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Not to mention 84 month financing? And they wonder why they have no retirement savings and find themselves working at age 75 as greeters in Walmart...
Man, you guys are so smart. I guess the 1 million buyers of Ford and Chevy/GMC truck buyers are all wrong and the 12k buyers of the
Ridgeline all have it figured out. Next time I plan to get a Honda truck instead of the Raptor. Forget about towing, clearance, offroading on camping and beach trips, resale and style. Plus I just love front wheel drive vehicles. And while we are here, why does anyone buy a BMW, the Civic is amazing.
Appreciate 1
c63er876.00
      07-05-2019, 04:28 PM   #75
JohnEnglish
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rad doc View Post
Quote:
Wow, I never thought I would hear Ridgeline and amazing in the same sentence. Besides the fact it is hideous, its towing capacity, ground clearance and off road capabilities are worst in class. Its grossly underpowered. Did I mention it's hideous? Probably a reason it is one of the worst selling trucks.
That's exactly why it's great. It's not meant for someone who needs to be towing lots of heavy stuff or going really off road. That why full size pick ups exist. The Ridgeline is for people who think they need that but really don't. Like I said the problem is that it's not big enough so those people don't want to buy it.
Quote:
Quote:

I guess I should tell the general contractors I know to return their Ridgelines.

Full size pickups have their place of course. However, the people who buy them and aren't tradespeople towing 10,000 on a regular basis or have 8,000 lbs of equipment in the back would most of the time be better suited with something like a Ridgeline. But like I said it's not imposing enough for them to consider.
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      07-05-2019, 04:43 PM   #76
rad doc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M AW loaded

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rad doc View Post
Quote:
Wow, I never thought I would hear Ridgeline and amazing in the same sentence. Besides the fact it is hideous, its towing capacity, ground clearance and off road capabilities are worst in class. Its grossly underpowered. Did I mention it's hideous? Probably a reason it is one of the worst selling trucks.
That's exactly why it's great. It's not meant for someone who needs to be towing lots of heavy stuff or going really off road. That why full size pick ups exist. The Ridgeline is for people who think they need that but really don't. Like I said the problem is that it's not big enough so those people don't want to buy it.
Quote:
Quote:

I guess I should tell the general contractors I know to return their Ridgelines.

Full size pickups have their place of course. However, the people who buy them and aren't tradespeople towing 10,000 on a regular basis or have 8,000 lbs of equipment in the back would most of the time be better suited with something like a Ridgeline. But like I said it's not imposing enough for them to consider.
Yes, you should. They bought the wrong truck.

Further, most people do not use their BMW to full potential either 99% of the time. Should everyone just buy economy cars? And is it wrong for someone to buy a vehicle based on the looks all of a sudden? I would take any truck over the Ridgeline not because they are more imposing but because the Ridgeline is the worst looking truck made.
Appreciate 1
WickedNy225.00
      07-05-2019, 05:06 PM   #77
Daniel08E93
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i E93

Garage List
[IMG]https://media1.tenor.com/images/a54f...itemid=5181002[/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 05:23 PM   #78
MiamiFan13
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: i4-e40 335i 03 Cobra,Jeep SRT8

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Insecure suckers wanting a lifestyle costume? Do you realize how dumb you sound? Please tell us what you think of M3 owners. Should they have bought a 328 since 99.5% of M3 owners never see a track?

I think you need to get out more. Its not by accident that so many pickup trucks get sold in this country. In most parts of this country, where people have a lot of land and live active/outdoor lifestyles, the question is not "why?", but "why not?" have a pickup.
Appreciate 1
rad doc251.50
      07-05-2019, 06:35 PM   #79
SJA16
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 Glacier silver 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post

July 5, 2019

Trainees at the BMW Munich plant reveal their vision of boundless adventure in the form of a lavish vehicle conversion. The one-off will premier on 5 July 2019 at the BMW Motorrad Days.

Munich/Garmisch-Partenkirchen. Visitors to this year's BMW Motorrad Days can expect to see, in addition to many bike highlights, a true one-off – the BMW X7 Pick-up. A unique conversion performed by BMW Group vocational trainees in cooperation with the Concept Vehicle Construction and Model Technology divisions at the BMW Munich plant. The vehicle is based on the BMW X7, the most luxurious and latest member of the BMW X family. The one-off combines the drive technology of the 250 kW/340 hp BMW X7 xDrive40i (fuel consumption combined: 9.0 – 8.7 l/100 km [31.4 – 32.5 mpg imp]; CO2 emissions combined: 205 – 198 g/km) with the innovative vehicle concept of a five-seater luxury pick-up.

A handcrafted loading area boasting a sophisticated fine-polished wood finish, a height-adjustable two-level air suspension and numerous high-class equipment details make this BMW X7 Pick-up an ideal companion for the diverse day-to-day uses and more. A BMW F 850 GS – a powerful motorcycle from the adventure segment – on the loading area completes the conversion. Together they are able to reach even the remotest corners of the world.

"I am pleased about the synergies between BMW Group Vocational Training, Concept Vehicle Construction and Model Technology, allowing these young talents to prove their abilities with such an extraordinary project," concludes Milagros Caiña-Andree, Member of the Board for Human Resources of the BMW AG.

High-class materials and state-of-the-art production methods meet craftsmanship.

Behind the passenger cabin providing five persons with a luxury ambience, the BMW X7 Pick-up offers a generous loading area. The length of the loading space varies from 140 cm (closed) to 200 cm (open). Thanks to the intelligent use of CFRP on roof components, rear doors and the rear lid, it was possible to further reduce weight by 200 kg vs. the production model, despite a 10 cm longer body. In interplay with the high-quality, handcrafted teakwood cladding of the loading area upgrade and the parapet elements, handgrips and trim strips made from SLS 3D pressure parts, it becomes clear just how much innovative strength, competence and technical precision the trainees already display. The combination of honey-coloured teakwood and the BMW Individual colour Tanzanite Blue metallic – an exclusive navy blue finish that develops extra depth when exposed to sunlight – was inspired by yachting sports and creates a sophisticated look.

From a concept to a vehicle in show car quality in just ten months.

In just ten months, the twelve trainees from the occupational sectors body and vehicle mechanics (m/f/x), vehicle mechatronics (m/f/x) and technical model construction (m/f/x) turned a concept into a fully functional, road-legal automobile in show car quality. In keeping with the BMW brand's sustainability strategy, a vehicle returned from testing formed the cost-efficient basis of the concept, which the trainees consequently saved from being scrapped. The trainees were free to decide on conception and implementation, but had to forgo the additional expert assistance normally provided in concept car construction. The coherent final result gives the trainees even more reason to be proud of their practical training project. Their dream: to go for a spin in the BMW X7 Pick-up after its premiere or even take it for a trip to the mountains.

The BMW X7 Pick-up and the BMW F 850 GS – unbeatable as a duo.
On the loading area of the converted vehicle stands a BMW F 850 GS, which is ideally suited to the BMW Motorrad Days. With a combination of touring and long-distance capability, sporty dynamics and supreme off-road qualities, the BMW F 850 GS perfectly complements the qualities of the BMW X7 Pick-up. However, in everyday life, the BMW X7 pick-up and the BMW F 850 ​​GS are faithful companions: thanks to their excellent driving characteristics both on paved and unpaved roads, the journey is the destination.

The BMW X7 Pick-up is a one-off from BMW Group Vocational Training at the Munich location.

Series implementation is not planned. Special projects such as this serve during training to convey and deploy the required capabilities in practice. Clear training contents with an occupational interest in each profession exist in such projects. The BMW Group currently trains almost 5,000 persons in nine countries worldwide.

[bpgaltitle] BMW X7 Pick-up![bpgalitem]http://www.bimmerpost.com/goodiesforyou/x/x7/g07/pick-up/P90357089-highRes.jpg[/bpgalitem][bpgalitem]http://www.bimmerpost.com/goodiesforyou/x/x7/g07/pick-up/P90357094-highRes.jpg[/bpgalitem][bpgalitem]http://www.bimmerpost.com/goodiesforyou/x/x7/g07/pick-up/P90357095-highRes.jpg[/bpgalitem][bpgalitem]http://www.bimmerpost.com/goodiesforyou/x/x7/g07/pick-up/P90357096-highRes.jpg[/bpgalitem][bpgalitem]http://www.bimmerpost.com/goodiesforyou/x/x7/g07/pick-up/P90357097-highRes.jpg[/bpgalitem][bpgalitem]http://www.bimmerpost.com/goodiesforyou/x/x7/g07/pick-up/P90357098-highRes.jpg[/bpgalitem][bpgalitem]http://www.bimmerpost.com/goodiesforyou/x/x7/g07/pick-up/P90357099-highRes.jpg[/bpgalitem][bpgalitem]http://www.bimmerpost.com/goodiesforyou/x/x7/g07/pick-up/P90357100-highRes.jpg[/bpgalitem][bpgalitem]http://www.bimmerpost.com/goodiesforyou/x/x7/g07/pick-up/P90357101-highRes.jpg[/bpgalitem][bpgalitem]http://www.bimmerpost.com/goodiesforyou/x/x7/g07/pick-up/P90357102-highRes.jpg[/bpgalitem][bpgalitem]http://www.bimmerpost.com/goodiesforyou/x/x7/g07/pick-up/P90357103-highRes.jpg[/bpgalitem][bpgalitem]http://www.bimmerpost.com/goodiesforyou/x/x7/g07/pick-up/P90357104-highRes.jpg[/bpgalitem][bpgalitem]http://www.bimmerpost.com/goodiesforyou/x/x7/g07/pick-up/P90357105-highRes.jpg[/bpgalitem][bpgalitem]http://www.bimmerpost.com/goodiesforyou/x/x7/g07/pick-up/P90357106-highRes.jpg[/bpgalitem][bpgalitem]http://www.bimmerpost.com/goodiesforyou/x/x7/g07/pick-up/P90357107-highRes.jpg[/bpgalitem][bpgalitem]http://www.bimmerpost.com/goodiesforyou/x/x7/g07/pick-up/P90357108-highRes.jpg[/bpgalitem][bpgalitem]http://www.bimmerpost.com/goodiesforyou/x/x7/g07/pick-up/bmw-x7-pickup-2019-001.jpg[/bpgalitem][bpgalitem]http://www.bimmerpost.com/goodiesforyou/x/x7/g07/pick-up/bmw-x7-pickup-2019-002.jpg[/bpgalitem][bpgalitem]http://www.bimmerpost.com/goodiesforyou/x/x7/g07/pick-up/bmw-x7-pickup-2019-003.jpg[/bpgalitem][bpgalitem]http://www.bimmerpost.com/goodiesforyou/x/x7/g07/pick-up/bmw-x7-pickup-2019-004.jpg[/bpgalitem][bpgalitem]http://www.bimmerpost.com/goodiesforyou/x/x7/g07/pick-up/bmw-x7-pickup-2019-005.jpg[/bpgalitem][bpgalitem]http://www.bimmerpost.com/goodiesforyou/x/x7/g07/pick-up/bmw-x7-pickup-2019-006.jpg[/bpgalitem][/bpgaltitle]
Here's my more appealing version...
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Vervain396.50
      07-05-2019, 07:40 PM   #80
4 Doors
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335xi (E90)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335xi  [10.00]
Literally a Honda Ridgeline with BMW badges and interior. Sad.

Current: 2011 E91 328i M-Sport Touring
Past: 2008 E90 335xi
1996 E36 328i Sport
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 07:50 PM   #81
c63er
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

This seems to be a project to bring attention to the x7, similar to other one off models used in the past to bring attention to other models.

Not a bad job in that respect but I think it won't have the same impact as past project have had.

This runs a little too parallel to the Lincoln Blackwood and that rock has already been squeezed.

To me bmw should focus on their dealer network roll out which has been abysmal and I believe there may be rocky roads ahead when the GLS is released.

Bmw had an opportunity to build a very good foot hold for a truly great vehicle but it's been stymied by their dealerships and how they've approached customers. Shame
      07-05-2019, 08:10 PM   #82
RL18
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d sport

Ok. Why not build off the tacoma platform for drivetrain/suspension with a bmw style look and a more luxurious interior. Then have a straight 6 diesel or straight 6 gasser for engine options? Like come on is it really that difficult to build a pickup truck?
      07-05-2019, 08:22 PM   #83
Snoball M3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i MB Sedan/11.5 ZCP M3

Garage List
BM  [0.00]
I guess its not bad, mild lift kit and sum offroad tires, the bed is a bit small but looks too luxurious to get dirty lol.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 08:54 PM   #84
FreddyBMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i iSTEP 07/2020.54

Jeez....why did they do this? My X7 is still a truck; just add a Hitch Trailer. I can mess around with my Trailer but not the X7!

Is it a copy (style) of those Lincoln Navigator trucks?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 09:22 PM   #85
cartaozinho
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 (G30) M550i

The lines on that thing remind me of the Subaru BRAT...
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      07-05-2019, 09:50 PM   #86
WickedNy
Get Some
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4 3.0si

Garage List
07 z4 3.0si  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You'd need to make 5 trips to Lowe's with a ridge line to carry what Any full size truck could at any point in time..must be my insecurity to have chosen a vehicle that can pull a mini excavator or skid steer when needed...and what would your solution for typicsl northeast winters be? Ridgelines with a 1'x6' aluminum plow? Looks like I'll stick to my insecurities with a 9ft western and weighted bed carrying 2k lbs. all thanks to the American auto industry
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 10:35 PM   #87
jlstyle
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Porsche Panamera

Garage List
2014 Audi S7  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Sometimes trying is a sin.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 11:04 PM   #88
Staszek
Schumacher
Rep
Drives: E30 325is,E93 M3,X7M50,F06 M6

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakine_surf View Post
I'm sorry but anyone in the actual pickup market isn't going to buy one of these... cool idea, but the world doesn't need more Honda pilots.

I have BMW's but I also have a real truck to do real truck things... this likely would end up being a $100k status symbol for the pavement if it ever made it to production.
This!