BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Carwow - BMW X7 vs Range Rover see which is the best luxury SUV

08-17-2019, 12:22 AM   #23
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionDH View Post
Friend recently bought a RR Sport SVR, it's been at the dealer for some sort of a repair at least a half a dozen times for a total of 2-3 months, nothing but complaints from him
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelrain View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by paliknight View Post

How's reliability been?
I have had BMW's for a while now (3 currently)and I can say that in my case every single one has had a fair share of reliability issues. Some more some less
I know people always talk about RR's reliability but I've had 3 top of the line RR's (not Sports etc) in my life and the BMW's I've owned have had loads more technical and mechanical issues. Not even close. Cannot think of a single time when the RRs were ever in shop for more than 48 hours.

A current F30 335i with less than 50k Miles is currently in shop for close to a week because of 2 bad wheel bearings. The fact that not one, but both wheel bearings are bad with less than 50k miles is of itself ridiculous. And considering both are seized so badly that it's taken over 20 hours of work and still only one has been removed....and finally throwing in towel and buying used part instead of fighting anymore to get the other out....

Nuff said.
Appreciate 1
      08-17-2019, 01:27 AM   #24
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

If the Range rover was reliable, that would be the car I drive...
Appreciate 1
bmr760139.00
      08-17-2019, 01:35 AM   #25
ibiza21
Tiesto
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Garage List
2016 M4  [0.00]
Quote:
I have just bought a Range Rover sport HST after test driving the X7 50i
I was totally unimpressed by the x7 for the price. The interior in the Range Rover is better, it drives better, all around a much better experience. This is coming from someone who owns an M3,M4 and an X5.
That's a beautiful RRS
      08-17-2019, 08:55 AM   #26
SchwarzerReiter
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 428i

I like how the X7 looks if i'm honest. I think the X5 is probably the best looking BMW SUV right now, but the X7 isnt too bad. I hate Van der Hooyedonkaboongshyamalan but i think he's right when he says that the kidneys on the X7 are proportionate. At the end of the day it's the bling car of the entire bunch, so it also makes sense.
So yeah i'd have that over the brick on wheels that is the RR.
Appreciate 1
      08-17-2019, 10:06 AM   #27
Missduvy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 50i

Garage List
Quote:
Well the Range Rover and Range Rover sport is about the same size as the X7 and bigger than the x5 I know as I drove my x5 to check all those vehicles out
Might be weird to compare but other than a 3rd row seat o don't see it being in a different class
An unscientific Google search indicates that the RR Sport is 192” long, while the X7 is 203” and the X5 194”. I wouldn’t expect the same driving dynamics in an SUV that’s over a foot longer.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 11:36 AM   #28
LSM
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 Porsche 911 GTS Cab

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSM View Post
Quote:
I was totally unimpressed by the x7 for the price. The interior in the Range Rover is better, it drives better, all around a much better experience. This is coming from someone who owns an M3,M4 and an X5.
The RRS competes with the X5... odd cross shopping X7 vs RRS.

We have a RRS very comfortable, tech is slow and sluggish, not sporty at all but again very comfortable
Well the Range Rover and Range Rover sport is about the same size as the X7 and bigger than the x5 I know as I drove my x5 to check all those vehicles out
Might be weird to compare but other than a 3rd row seat o don't see it being in a different class
Ahh, no they're not. The X5 is actually bigger than the RRS with a longer wheelbase and length

The X7 is much larger than RRS in both wheelbase and length, they dont compete with each other

I have a RRS and we love it. That said has short comings l.

X5 is much more sporty it's much faster and it's tech is 5 generations ahead. If I only had an suv and not a sporty car also my choice would be X5 all day and if I needed a larger car I prefer X7 over full size RR

The RRS is more comfortable, looks more upscale/expensive and although the interior tech looks amazing (3 digital screens) it's slow and non intuitive

Anyway diff strokes for diff folks enjoy your RRS
      08-17-2019, 11:37 AM   #29
ppagiga
Major
Rep
Drives: car

RRS and X7 not competitors
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 11:49 AM   #30
mvestor
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & E92 M3, E86 M

My wife drives a 2017 RRS Diesel (after coming from a 325i, a 135i and a Discovery Sport). This has been the most reliable of those vehicles thus far, but I will admit they come with quirks and technical annoyances. The Rover dealer network is no where near as standardized and mature as the BMW network in my experience - from purchasing through to service.

The Discovery line is not up to the fit and finish of a BMW. I would describe it as a little more utilitarian. The Range Rover line is in my opinion on par or a little more upscale than what BMW can do. The cabins are just nicer places to be and the vehicles arguably more capable (granted 90%+ never take their vehicles off road or into water).

At the end of the day we are fortunate to debate the merits and desire to own a $70k+ SUV and none are without their gremlins.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 12:10 PM   #31
coldsteelrain
driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 xdrive

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

We have a RRS very comfortable, tech is slow and sluggish, not sporty at all but again very comfortable
Ahh, no they're not. The X5 is actually bigger than the RRS with a longer wheelbase and length

The X7 is much larger than RRS in both wheelbase and length, they dont compete with each other

X5 is much more sporty it's much faster and it's tech is 5 generations ahead. If I only had an suv and not a sporty car also my choice would be X5 all day and if I needed a larger car I prefer X7 over full size RR

The RRS is more comfortable, looks more upscale/expensive and although the interior tech looks amazing (3 digital screens) it's slow and non intuitive

LoL
Looks like some of you got triggered.
All expert engineers on this forum.
I have an X5 as I stated and the fact that I bought the Sport instead of the X7 tells me yeah it does compete because BMW just lost a customer to a car supposedly it doesn't not compete with. I test drove the x7 thinking 100% I was going to buy it just to be let down with it in many different ways and I really don't care if it's 1 inch or 12 inches shorter or longer. When the car ain't worth it it ain't. The HST feels quicker than my X5 (I don't care if it is or not in real world and it definitely felt quicker than the x7 being about the same weight. If I have the need for speed I drive my M3 and M4). It's a lot nicer inside and out. It don't have a 3rd row seat, oh well mother in law stays home what a bummer!!!
So far nothing is slow or has broken down for me and as far as tech being 5 generations ahead I am not sure what you're referencing to?
Lane assist
Park assist
Refrigerator
Heated and cooled seats
Blind spot assist
Heads up display
High speed emergency braking
360 cameras
Multi off-road options and settings
Multi displays
Apple car play
Full spare tire
Much more
It's got all of it
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 01:30 PM   #32
balmain
Rep
Drives: BMW

How's this a valid comparison? This generation Range Rover has been out since 2012 and this is its last model year. The BMW is brand new and has the latest and greatest in terms of technology.

Not to mention, X7 is basically a soccer mom/grocery getter, has 3 rows while Range has 2, will never that 'it' factor, Range Rover has, and is significantly cheaper than a Range Rover. Range starts at $90,900 and goes up to over $200k and X7 at $73,900. Even the performance X7 M version is $10k cheaper than the standard V8 Range Rover and $78k cheaper than the performance Range Rover SV variant. I don't think they are to be compared and are cross-shopped at all.

The all new Range Rover is coming out next year and seems like it will be next level tech according to this article (and have a fully electric version). It will have a BMW V8 engine so driving dynamics may be kind of similar:

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/n...nge-rover-2021

Last edited by balmain; 08-17-2019 at 01:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 02:52 PM   #33
SchwarzerReiter
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 428i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppagiga View Post
RRS and X7 not competitors
Well its a british channel, so in every comparison they have to throw in a british car. You want a big BMW vs Audi vs Mercedes comparison at some class of cars? No way, you're gonna get 2 of those and some british car that's nowhere near them in tech.

And dont get me started on the latest videos comparing Lotuses and Porsches. Literally nobody cared or cares for Lotus for a long time now, but suddenly everybody compared their ancient cars to the 992. I guess Lotus discovered Youtube and decided to do some advertising there.
Appreciate 1
      08-17-2019, 04:14 PM   #34
LittleJoe
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 EQS 580 SUV

Quote:
LoL
I have an X5 as I stated and the fact that I bought the Sport instead of the X7 tells me yeah it does compete because BMW just lost a customer to a car supposedly it doesn't not compete with. I test drove the x7 thinking 100% I was going to buy it just to be let down with it in many different ways and I really don't care if it's 1 inch or 12 inches shorter or longer. When the car ain't worth it it ain't. The HST feels quicker than my X5 (I don't care if it is or not in real world and it definitely felt quicker than the x7 being about the same weight. If I have the need for speed I drive my M3 and M4). It's a lot nicer inside and out. It don't have a 3rd row seat, oh well mother in law stays home what a bummer!!!
So far nothing is slow or has broken down for me and as far as tech being 5 generations ahead I am not sure what you're referencing to?
Lane assist
Park assist
Refrigerator
Heated and cooled seats
Blind spot assist
Heads up display
360 cameras
Multi displays
Apple car play
Full spare tire
Much more
It's got all of it
In fairness, you started the mud-slinging by slinging mud at the X7, and afterall this is a X7 forum. So no surprise some are taking offense at your X7 comments. As I posted earlier, I think your RR looks great and if you're happy with your purchase, that's all that matters. No point in debating with those of us who prefer the X7.

Live and let live.
Appreciate 3
      08-17-2019, 04:22 PM   #35
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Did not drove the X7 but the Range Rover is a terrible clothing dresser on the wheels. An X3M or X4M is by far a better choice. I drive M too, yet, the comment is irrelevant in here.

In regards with the interior I disagree 100% as the interior in BMW is much much better, including seats engineering which RR doesn’t come close.

Also, have a look under your RR in three years and see how everything under that body will be red and rusted. You will never see that in a bimmer on the components not to mention on a BMW Body.

Should we talk about extremely poor reliability on RR / LR?
Appreciate 2
      08-17-2019, 05:58 PM   #36
48Laws
Banned
Rep
Drives: '15 F80, '18 991.2 GTS

Wild how Land Rover is the 2nd from the bottom for reliability on JD Power ratings yet people still yearn for that status and purchase anyway. It’s the damn Matrix i swear.
Appreciate 2
Wild Blue3682.50
      08-17-2019, 06:46 PM   #37
Roundown
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Range Rover owner here- no way the RRS is comparable to the X7. Before the RR, I had an F85 and often lament the fact that the full size Range Rover feels like it has less usable space than the F85 did.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 07:32 PM   #38
balmain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracus View Post
Did not drove the X7 but the Range Rover is a terrible clothing dresser on the wheels. An X3M or X4M is by far a better choice. I drive M too, yet, the comment is irrelevant in here.

In regards with the interior I disagree 100% as the interior in BMW is much much better, including seats engineering which RR doesn’t come close.

Also, have a look under your RR in three years and see how everything under that body will be red and rusted. You will never see that in a bimmer on the components not to mention on a BMW Body.

Should we talk about extremely poor reliability on RR / LR?
I still feel the Range Rover interior is more attractive and upscale. Nonetheless, the Range Rover has been out for nearly 9 years now and is on its last model year, so it wouldn't a major accomplishment than an all new BMW X7 has more advanced seat engineering.

People who can afford whatever probably feel different about the X3/X4. No Range Rover owner would be caught dead in either of those economy vehicles. A Honda Civic Type R handles better than both of those, but who here would ever drive one?

Range Rover is the top selling $100k vehicle in the U.S. (also Europe) according to carsalesbase.com. S-Class ranks #2, 7 series, somewhere at the back. In the X7 price level, Range Rover Sport still outsells it so most probably do not agree with your assessment.

Last edited by balmain; 08-17-2019 at 07:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 09:04 PM   #39
LSM
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 Porsche 911 GTS Cab

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

LoL
Lane assist
Park assist
Refrigerator
Heated and cooled seats
Blind spot assist
Heads up display
360 cameras
Multi displays
Apple car play
Full spare tire
Much more
It's got all of it
Not triggered at all. The post you made was claiming RRS and X7 were same sized etx, inside nicer in RRS...

Honestly, inside the X7 to me is significantly nicer especially with the 2nd row captains chairs than the RRS. But the X7 is Huge. It's drives different than mid sized utes, its on the sporty side but still no denying its size. It drives worlds diff than Current gen X5

We own an 18 RRS. Like it, very comfortable. I don't like the non intuitive VERY slow interface and touch screens. They often turn off, reset and do not respond at all. Reliability has been an issue as well. Many gremlins and creaks etc. it's been in service for 30+ days In the first year

The CURRENT gen X5 I have driven many is much more sporty is all I was saying. the RRS HST at 400hp and slower than an X5 4.0 but costing the same as X5 M50i which it's much much much slower than and handles worse is a nonstarter.

I am Glad you're enjoying your car though and wish you all the enjoyment in the world, it's beautiful.

It's a great car the RRS I have one. But at least me it's not a competitor to the X7 even if you cross shopped them

Something akin to me cross shopping an E class or 5 series with an S class and saying the much smaller vehicle felt better and then saying they're the same size

As i said and you verified you have sporty cars just as I do so if I was shopping for a very comfortable non sporty, kinda slow suv the RRS works for us

If an SUV was my only vehicle I would opt for something much more sporty and fast like the X5 M50i or even the X5 4.0 M sport

Enjoy!
      08-18-2019, 07:53 AM   #40
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by balmain View Post
Range Rover is the top selling $100k vehicle in the U.S. (also Europe) according to carsalesbase.com. S-Class ranks #2, 7 series, somewhere at the back. In the X7 price level, Range Rover Sport still outsells it so most probably do not agree with your assessment.
LOL, not because Range Rove is better. It is a very expensive unreliable car. But with so many Kardashian followers I have no doubts about your statement. G Class (while a better vehicle still a brick in motion with a small and spartan interior) is the result of a similar marketing tool. We talk about perception not facts.
However, every person I know that owned a Range Rover before, they never bought one after got rid of it.
Appreciate 1
530iDriver1707.50
      08-18-2019, 08:24 AM   #41
BMWBear
Ultimate Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Where did you find best selling vehicle over $100k in the US? I just searched and couldn’t find any articles relating to this info?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 02:04 PM   #42
balmain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYEIL View Post
Where did you find best selling vehicle over $100k in the US? I just searched and couldn’t find any articles relating to this info?
These are the top selling vehicles with average prices above $100,000.

2018, Total sales:

Range Rover. 19,030

S Class. 14,978

Porsche 911 9,647

7 Series 8,271

Panamera 8,042

G- Class 3,970

http://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales...r/range-rover/

In 2019, it still holds up with the Range Rover actually pulling away from the pack and widening the gap. The Range defies the market when you look at the fact that it's old, in its last model year and the sales are higher than when it was first released. Complete opposite always happens, look at S-Class, for instance, the #1 5 years ago, but has dropped out of fashion and the sales are a fraction of what it used to be. Range is the undisputed favorite car among upper-end buyers and despite the reliability horror stories outdated tech and the competition from newer, more advanced vehicles on the market, these buyers don't seem to give a damn.

Last edited by balmain; 08-18-2019 at 02:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 02:35 PM   #43
BMWBear
Ultimate Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

I only see Range Rover sales in that link but I’m not surprised it sells well. Most of these owners know nothing about what they drive just that it’ll impress others who also know nothing about cars. It’s ridiculous how many Tesla’s I’m seeing now because it’s the in style brand. I could care less what others think about me or the car I drive but that seems to be less and less then “norm”.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 07:03 PM   #44
LittleJoe
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 EQS 580 SUV

Large Luxury SUV sales in the US:

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/us-larg...sales-figures/
Appreciate 0