BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Carwow - BMW X7 vs Range Rover see which is the best luxury SUV

08-20-2019, 12:15 PM   #67
Missduvy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 50i

Garage List
I’m out, boys. Enjoy your Rovers.
Appreciate 2
Wild Blue3676.50
Teutonic2706.00
      08-20-2019, 12:26 PM   #68
balmain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48Laws View Post
As you proceed to inject your opinion absent of facts.

Relying on one quarter stats for your argument is like relying on 4 reviews to claim a product is good or not.

My message escaped you. The point is, is that these brands, regardless of Provenance, are associated with prestige, power abs wealth. That’s universally understood. BMW is not nor has it ever been.

You’re seriously in denial if you believe the aforementioned brands aren’t universally accepted as being at the pinnacle of prestige. One flaw in your argument is assuming that me highlighting Aston Martin is also meminimizing rolls Royce. That’s a self created fallacy as you injected that comparison while i agree that Rolls Royce, Aston Martin and RR are all in the same group of prestige while BMW isn’t even close.

Again, faster must mean better to you. To adults like me, it doesn’t. Most M drivers, typically shop UP to Porches etc and if they are fortunate to own both, the M is a daily while the P-car is the special vehicle. The M cannot remotely compare to the engineering of a Porsche. The entire owner experience is light years ahead of an M.

I expect you to say that. You’re also talking about BMW that has aggressive programs to get people who can’t afford their cars into one. You don’t see that with RE because they don’t need that market.

Bro, I’ve been on this forum years before you. I’ve Drive some of the most desirable cars yet i am not as deluded as you are and I’m certainly not so biased that i will shun objective opinions such as you. That X7 will look dated in 12 months while a RR Defender has increased in value and still
Has prestige.
These people are clueless. How can you argue a Range Rover isn't good when people who buy six figure vehicles chose Range Rover first and foremost. People who have the funds to purchase vehicles like that are generally intelligent. The market speaks for itself.

I absolutely love my BMW (but it's goodbye when whenever I can get my hands on a 2020 911) but the X7 can not compare to the King..the Range Rover.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 02:00 PM   #69
48Laws
Banned
Rep
Drives: '15 F80, '18 991.2 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by balmain View Post
These people are clueless. How can you argue a Range Rover isn't good when people who buy six figure vehicles chose Range Rover first and foremost. People who have the funds to purchase vehicles like that are generally intelligent. The market speaks for itself.

I absolutely love my BMW (but it's goodbye when whenever I can get my hands on a 2020 911) but the X7 can not compare to the King..the Range Rover.
Car forums operate like political parties. Seldomly will you get an objective opinion outside of what they believe. People take you not favoring their vehicle(s) personally. They think you’re attacking them and their choices. It’s disappointing. Then you have folks denying obvious observations within this community like the status of vehicles, perceived value, prestige etc. Then they encourage you to leave because you won’t bend to herd mentality. X7 is decent but wouldn’t be my first choice for stately, handsome, statement SUV. When i envision the RR Autobiography, i see a person who might live on an estate, with hunting dogs etc. with an X7, perhaps a well-to-do person in an above average home and some financial autonomy. This is what branding does.

Last edited by 48Laws; 08-20-2019 at 02:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 02:17 PM   #70
LittleJoe
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 EQS 580 SUV

Quote:
When i envision the RR Autobiography, i see a person who might live on an estate, with hunting dogs etc. with an X7, perhaps a well-to-do person in an above average home and some financial autonomy.

I guess it's time to sell our estate and hunting dogs.
Appreciate 1
Wild Blue3676.50
      08-20-2019, 02:31 PM   #71
gatordent2007
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 x7 M50i

Garage List
2016 BMW 750xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJoe View Post
I guess it's time to sell our estate and hunting dogs.
Lol! Me too LittleJoe! Maybe we should move to the jersey shore where these two clowns obviously come from 😂😂😂
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 02:57 PM   #72
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Righty-o, chap! I guess I have to give up my powdered wig as well, put on my flea collar if I'm going to buy an X7 like you bums.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 03:19 PM   #73
48Laws
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatordent2007 View Post
Lol! Me too LittleJoe! Maybe we should move to the jersey shore where these two clowns obviously come from 😂😂😂
Oh, yes! Jersey...one of the most expensive states to live in. You being from podunk-ville would think an X7 lease is making it. All while you dine on Chipotle and think it’s fine cuisine. Don’t forget to flash that Movado. Lmao!

Last edited by 48Laws; 08-20-2019 at 03:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 03:30 PM   #74
gatordent2007
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 750xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Oh, yes! Jersey...one of the most expensive states to live in. You being from podunk-ville would think an X7 lease is making it. All while you dine on Chipotle and think it’s fine cuisine. Don’t forget to flash that Movado. Lmao!
Do you hang out on the movado forums and talk about how much more “elegant” or “stately” your Rolex is too?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 03:33 PM   #75
48Laws
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Do you hang out on the movado forums and talk about how much more “elegant” or “stately” your Rolex is too?
When did you abandon your masculinity? Just take your blingy SUV to the mall and enjoy some Dip n Dots. Lmao

Last edited by 48Laws; 08-20-2019 at 03:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 03:49 PM   #76
gatordent2007
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 750xi  [0.00]
Quote:
When did you abandon your masculinity? Just take your blingy SUV to the mall and enjoy some Dip n Dots. Lmao
Probably abandoned it about the time you had an intelligent thing leave your mouth..........never.

So do you consider your rr blingy? I’m confused because you’ve used the price as the main reason it’s more of a status symbol? That probably qualifies it as “bling”
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 03:55 PM   #77
gatordent2007
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 750xi  [0.00]
I do love me some dippin dots though. Although I’m living paycheck to paycheck paying for my cars so I only get to splurge on dessert occasionally.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 03:58 PM   #78
48Laws
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Probably abandoned it about the time you had an intelligent thing leave your mouth..........never.

So do you consider your rr blingy? I’m confused because you’ve used the price as the main reason it’s more of a status symbol? That probably qualifies it as “bling”
Gaslighting and projecting. Keep going, Boy. I don’t own a RR. Nothing worst than the working middle class trying to convey wealth. BMW got you! Ha!
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 05:02 PM   #79
crackerjack15
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Wow, you people have issues. Buy what you like for you, not for other people. I bought the X7 because I like it. I could have bought a range rover, and I do think it looks good, but I don't like the interior, however nice it is. I was seriously considering the new lincoln aviator, but I simply prefer the idrive system and interiors on bmw's.

And, you are naive if you think someone in an expensive car is wealthy. They could be living pay check to pay check in an apartment or have a mansion. Who cares. Buy what you like and enjoy life.
Appreciate 5
LittleJoe1064.00
Wild Blue3676.50
jokinawa293.00
xueju1121618.50
      08-20-2019, 09:22 PM   #80
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by balmain View Post
I've driven Bentleys, Rolls, Range Rover, top end AMG, M, Lamborghini, Ferrari, McLarens extensively while you watch Carwow Youtube videos. Womp womp.

LOL. Evoque, X1, X2, and the rest of that economy segment belong in the trash in my opinion. Why would I even think of these economy vehicles? What do they have to do with this thread?
I was thinking to give you a reply, but then I realized that I can not go that low. I apologize.

You just proved everybody's point: there is a certain niche of Range Rover customers; and you fit PERFECTLY in there...
Appreciate 1
Wild Blue3676.50
      08-28-2019, 08:22 PM   #81
135iUSN
19 X5 1998 M Roadster
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i Alpine White / Terra

Garage List
1998 BMW M Roadster  [0.00]
2009 135i  [0.00]
Yup I read the entire thread...
      08-29-2019, 08:39 AM   #82
ppagiga
Major
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Car forums operate like political parties. Seldomly will you get an objective opinion outside of what they believe. People take you not favoring their vehicle(s) personally. They think you’re attacking them and their choices. It’s disappointing. Then you have folks denying obvious observations within this community like the status of vehicles, perceived value, prestige etc. Then they encourage you to leave because you won’t bend to herd mentality. X7 is decent but wouldn’t be my first choice for stately, handsome, statement SUV. When i envision the RR Autobiography, i see a person who might live on an estate, with hunting dogs etc. with an X7, perhaps a well-to-do person in an above average home and some financial autonomy. This is what branding does.
man i want to stay out of this, but i'll interject.

branding also succeeds at keeping people brand loyal for subjective reasons. i don't fantasize much about someone enjoying generational wealth in the british countryside with a shotgun over their shoulder and with their waders on. i'm generally resistant to marketing and FOMO and things like that. i have a check list just like everyone else and the vehicle that checks the most boxes in a given class is what i drive.

fwiw, the asp of a range rover is not >100k, fyi. the bulk of the ones you see sold are to the average demographic of an x7 buyer. the lowly, merely affluent US consumer. sounds roughly like head to head competition to me. the fringe AB buyer is not the demographic demonstrative of what one buyer values vs another. the fat part of the distribution curve is.

I've actually owned a bunch of Range Rovers. I've also owned a bunch of GLs. Much like miss duvy (a current land rover owner) im very objective on the topic. if someone is as convinced as you are that a range rover is >> x7 they aren't objective and they can't be engaged in constructive dialogue. besides, i don't care what you prefer and why, nor should you care what i prefer and why. go buy what you buy and the rest will be sorted out by automotive darwinism. if you can share something about range rovers I don't know, i'd love to hear that, though. that's what these forums are to me: information exchange. not trying to feel better about yourself for what you drive vs what the next person does.

range rover will sell 15k range rovers this year in the US, BMW will sell roughly double that. Land rover will keep the niche smug brand whore buyer (i was once a smug brand whore buyer, myself), and that will likely never change. bmw will win over people who love the range (like me) but are open to leaving the brand for whatever reason (me). i have opinions of where the tata owned LR brand is headed. same for the RR itself. those opinions don't need validation, nor should you and yours. buy/fantasize what you like. that's the beauty of having options.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 08:41 AM   #83
ppagiga
Major
Rep

Quote:
Gaslighting and projecting. Keep going, Boy. I don’t own a RR. Nothing worst than the working middle class trying to convey wealth. BMW got you! Ha!
if i had seen this nonsense never would have acknolwedged your trolling with 3 mins of my time. jeez dude get it together. cognitive therapy isn't enough. going to want to dig deeper, i think
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 09:17 AM   #84
p.o.t.u.s
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 40i

God, I’m not sure I want to wade into this cesspool, but I cross shopped the Range Rover I I preferred the driving characteristics of the X7–specifically the suspension. I’d also say that when driving the GLS, RR and Cayenne, the X7 was the only car that I was smiling like a giddy kid while test driving.

So I bought X7. (Should be delivered in early October.). Does that make the X7 BETTER? Does it matter? To me it was better, and at the end of the day, since it’s my money and my happiness, nothing else should matter.

If brand prestige is the only criterion, then maybe I settled for the less prestigious option. But unless you’re last name is Gates or Bezos, if your happiness is pegged on brand prestige alone, keeping up with the Joneses is going to be a perpetually losing battle.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 01:07 PM   #85
ppagiga
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.o.t.u.s View Post
God, I’m not sure I want to wade into this cesspool, but I cross shopped the Range Rover I I preferred the driving characteristics of the X7–specifically the suspension. I’d also say that when driving the GLS, RR and Cayenne, the X7 was the only car that I was smiling like a giddy kid while test driving.

So I bought X7. (Should be delivered in early October.). Does that make the X7 BETTER? Does it matter? To me it was better, and at the end of the day, since it’s my money and my happiness, nothing else should matter.

If brand prestige is the only criterion, then maybe I settled for the less prestigious option. But unless you’re last name is Gates or Bezos, if your happiness is pegged on brand prestige alone, keeping up with the Joneses is going to be a perpetually losing battle.
Max cesspool wading depth in RR is 900mm. Definitely the vehicle of choice between the two for wading.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 02:58 PM   #86
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Quote:
As enthusiast of the car community, we can all agree which brands lean closer to prestige than others. Aston Martin, for example, is universally accepted as being at the pinnacle of class and prestige. Same goes for Range Rovers. I mean, it’s the vehicle of choice by the Royal Family, if that matters.

Ah yes. Such as this Royal "Range Rover".

Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 04:54 PM   #87
///WeissBisBlau
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘21 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Blue View Post
Ah yes. Such as this Royal "Range Rover".

LOL! Nice find!
Appreciate 1
Wild Blue3676.50
      09-03-2019, 08:10 PM   #88
NewX7
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 35i, X7 (ordered)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackerjack15 View Post
Wow, you people have issues. Buy what you like for you, not for other people. I bought the X7 because I like it. I could have bought a range rover, and I do think it looks good, but I don't like the interior, however nice it is. I was seriously considering the new lincoln aviator, but I simply prefer the idrive system and interiors on bmw's.

And, you are naive if you think someone in an expensive car is wealthy. They could be living pay check to pay check in an apartment or have a mansion. Who cares. Buy what you like and enjoy life.
I honestly don't understand the debate and people getting bent out of shape on this thread. I traded in a 2016 full size RR diesel for the X7. I put 50k miles on it and didn't want to spring 8-10k for an extended warranty. Before the RR I had an X5 and before the X5 an LR4, so I've been going back and forth between the brands for awhile now. (The LR4 still holds the closest place in my heart between all of them; only vehicle I ever actually got teary eyed when I sold it!)

I also use/used both the RR and X7 to tow a 6,000lb boat. The diesel RR had the X7 beat in the towing dept off the line and going up hills, but the 40i X7 does just fine with it's turbo 6. I have no complaints with the X7 there. I've actually had several people come up to me in the boat ramp asking if I was sure "that BMW" could handle "that boat..." haha. As big as the X7 is, it still looks minuscule next to a jacked up Ram 2500 or Ford F-250.

IMO, the RR totally wins in the exterior looks dept. Inside though, comparing the ride-quality and especially the interior luxury and tech pkg, BMW X7 wins hands down. I was so tired of the RR's outdated slow and clunky "infotainment" system. Plus, I wanted the X7's autonomous driving for all of the hours and hours of stop and go traffic I have to deal with in the Bay Area.

Do I have any regrets? When I see another RR on the road I still think it's the best looking SUV on the road, but inside, the X7 suits me and my wife the best for driving nearly 20,000 miles per year, and towing a boat up steep mountain overpasses besides.

I think the X7 is handsome also, but agree with other sentiments here, that it's more likely to be mixed up with an X5 or something and not as luxurious looking as an RR at first glance. That said, everyone who has seen and sat in my X7 in person has been *blown away* and I never got that kind of reaction out of the RR before!

Now the RR Sport is another story....totally for posers who can't afford the real thing. kidding, kidding...kind of.
Appreciate 0