BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Question For Those Of You Who Have Special Ordered An X7 - Wheel Options?

08-16-2019, 01:26 PM   #1
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Question For Those Of You Who Have Special Ordered An X7 - Wheel Options?

So the order guides describe the different options and packages that are available. They also tell you multiple restrictions on which options and/or packages that can/can't be ordered together. For example, if you order the M-Sport package, you can't order the running boards. So my question has to do with ordering different wheel options...

In the "fine print" of the 2020 ordering guide (at the bottom of each trim section), it lists several restrictions with different options and packages. But it does not list any restrictions regarding wheel options vs different option packages (like M Sport vs Luxury). So is it possible that you can order any wheel option with any trim level or option package? My reason for asking is quite simple, if I were to order an X7 I would want to spec a 40i w/M Sport package AND the black 21" wheels. According to the online configurator (for both 2019 and 2020) this can't be done. Yet the ordering guide does not explicitly say the black wheels can't be ordered with the M Sport package - at least not in the "fine print" area (from a styling perspective I don't understand why BMW apparently limits the black wheels to the luxury trim, and does not allow it with the M Sport package, but that is a separate debate ).

So has anyone tried ordering different wheel options that are not explicitly forbidden by the ordering guide (but forbidden in the online configurator)? Even better, has anyone been successful doing this?

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 04:01 PM   #2
Missduvy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 50i

Garage List
Can’t do it. Virtually every male on this board wanted black wheels on a Sport trim.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 05:54 PM   #3
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Yup. I'm one of them. I was hopeful when the restriction was dropped in the 2020 ordering guide, for M-sport and the 21" all-black wheels. But thought it was likely just an oversight.

The new 2020 US configurator has problems, but if it's right, then the restriction is still there. Rather silly, I think, if you can get the rest of the car blacked out now with extended shadowline trim, but not the only all-black wheel option.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 12:01 PM   #4
Pictor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX xDrive50

Garage List
The online configurator is wrong more often than not. Ignore it for your final build.

Go by the standard Price Guide or the Order Guide. What's on these sheets is standard and not really a special order. For 2020 the black 21" wheels are indeed a no charge option listed for the 40i but I see the odd discrepancy where ZMP lists other wheels but not the black 21". None of the other packages list black 21" either so I would default to the wheel selection guide below in the sheet that shows it as a No Cost option for the 40i but the wheels will come with All-Season tires which will limit your top speed (may not be an issue for you).

The only way to know for sure if to get your CA to build the car for you. I don't think it will be a problem. However, if he does say it's not possible, you can still request it and I don't think it would cost anything extra although your dealer may not want to go this route. Your BMW Sales Manager has the ability to submit a Special Request Order Form and forward it to your Regional Distribution Department for final approval. Some dealers don't like going this route for fear they'll be stuck with an oddball inventory item that they cannot sell but I don't think that will be a problem with this request.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 01:48 PM   #5
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pictor View Post
The online configurator is wrong more often than not. Ignore it for your final build.

Go by the standard Price Guide or the Order Guide. What's on these sheets is standard and not really a special order. For 2020 the black 21" wheels are indeed a no charge option listed for the 40i but I see the odd discrepancy where ZMP lists other wheels but not the black 21". None of the other packages list black 21" either so I would default to the wheel selection guide below in the sheet that shows it as a No Cost option for the 40i but the wheels will come with All-Season tires which will limit your top speed (may not be an issue for you).

The only way to know for sure if to get your CA to build the car for you. I don't think it will be a problem. However, if he does say it's not possible, you can still request it and I don't think it would cost anything extra although your dealer may not want to go this route. Your BMW Sales Manager has the ability to submit a Special Request Order Form and forward it to your Regional Distribution Department for final approval. Some dealers don't like going this route for fear they'll be stuck with an oddball inventory item that they cannot sell but I don't think that will be a problem with this request.
Thanks for the additional insight regarding the Special Order Request process that a dealer can use - I figured there would be a process like that in place. After looking at the 2020 Order and Pricing Guides I completely follow your line of thinking regarding how/why the black 21" wheels should be available on the 40i as a no cost option, regardless of any other option package ordered. I was just hoping someone had actually gone through this exercise successfully.

When the time comes, I plan to be very detailed and clear with my order - to include providing the specific option codes for the items I want. If I get told "it can't be done" I plan to use official BMW references like the BMW Ordering and Pricing guides to make them prove it to me. After all, this is not some special order "unobtanium" paint that has special ingredients that only grow on the surface of Mars. These wheels are readily available on the assembly line at the plant in South Carolina .

If they want my business, I am sure most dealers would be willing to work with me. Even though some dealers don't like to deal with "very informed" customers....

Regarding your comment about the dealers not wanting to be stuck with an "oddball" configuration.... There is a local dealer near me that has a '19 50i in Vermont Bronze with the 21" black wheels - it has been on the lot for a long while (and I don't think it is just because of the Vermont Bronze ).

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 04:48 PM   #6
Pictor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX xDrive50

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
If they want my business, I am sure most dealers would be willing to work with me. Even though some dealers don't like to deal with "very informed" customers....
If DMV (your location) is NoVA/Metro DC area then you have a few dealers in the area to work with and at least one good one.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 04:54 PM   #7
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pictor View Post
If DMV (your location) is NoVA/Metro DC area then you have a few dealers in the area to work with and at least one good one.
Yup, that is my area. And there are a lot of dealers in this area which should make for a very "target rich" environment when it comes time for negotiating the build configuration I want .

Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 07:00 PM   #8
ATX512
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missduvy View Post
Can’t do it. Virtually every male on this board wanted black wheels on a Sport trim.
I ordered a 2020 40i luxury package. Should be on the lot this Monday (8/19). My dealer put the wrong wheels in the order. He ordered the V spoke and I wanted the Y-spoke. To make up for this I am having the rims powder coated black. My BMW dealership has an option for me to do that right on the lot (3rd party company but operates at the dealership). I saw black black wheels on a luxury package Arctic grey model driving around and it looked GREAT! Mine is Arctic grey also.
Appreciate 1
Wild Blue3683.50
      08-17-2019, 07:10 PM   #9
CruiseControl
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 40iM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX512 View Post
I ordered a 2020 40i luxury package. Should be on the lot this Monday (8/19). My dealer put the wrong wheels in the order. He ordered the V spoke and I wanted the Y-spoke. To make up for this I am having the rims powder coated black. My BMW dealership has an option for me to do that right on the lot (3rd party company but operates at the dealership). I saw black black wheels on a luxury package Arctic grey model driving around and it looked GREAT! Mine is Arctic grey also.
How long did it take from the time you ordered to delivery on Monday?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 09:16 PM   #10
ATX512
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiseControl View Post
How long did it take from the time you ordered to delivery on Monday?
I approved the final build sheet on July 23. Vehicle went into production on July 31. No update on my garage website after “today is the day” until Aug 12 when it went to “entering assembly line”. On the morning of Aug 14 it showed that it was awaiting carrier. Originally it was scheduled for completion on Aug 12. Around the 10th the date moved to Aug 14. I don’t think the website updates very well, but I also don’t think it actually takes very long for the car to finish once it hits the assembly line. The website shows it was dispatched from the dealership today (8/17) and my dealer said that the transport company said its expected on the lot Monday 8/19. I live in Central Texas. The car is being shipped to Temple, TX dealership.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 11:43 PM   #11
ppagiga
Major
Rep
Drives: car

Powder coat one of the 22 options, problem solved
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 04:36 AM   #12
CruiseControl
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 40iM

Quote:
I approved the final build sheet on July 23. Vehicle went into production on July 31. No update on my garage website after “today is the day” until Aug 12 when it went to “entering assembly line”. On the morning of Aug 14 it showed that it was awaiting carrier. Originally it was scheduled for completion on Aug 12. Around the 10th the date moved to Aug 14. I don’t think the website updates very well, but I also don’t think it actually takes very long for the car to finish once it hits the assembly line. The website shows it was dispatched from the dealership today (8/17) and my dealer said that the transport company said its expected on the lot Monday 8/19. I live in Central Texas. The car is being shipped to Temple, TX dealership.
That was super fast. My dealer is telling me it takes 6-8 weeks!
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 07:21 AM   #13
jokinawa
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i

Quote:
Quote:
It can also depend on dealer. My dealer told me that is basically goes like this. Each dealer gets an allocation of build slots. If they are an extremely popular dealer they may fill those and you'll have to wait until their next allocations open to put your order in the build queue.

When I ordered my I missed the final slot my dealer had by one day and it set me back a few weeks.
      08-18-2019, 07:23 AM   #14
gatordent2007
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 x7 M50i

Garage List
2016 BMW 750xi  [0.00]
Quote:
I placed my order on aug 7th and I’m set to do PCD on sept 13th, but they offered earlier if I wanted. I got an email estimating completion last weekend in August, so I thought about scratching PCD, but I don’t want to have 2 car payments and insurance as my 7 series lease isn’t over yet. So I think they’re being built pretty quick.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 09:53 AM   #15
ATX512
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppagiga View Post
Powder coat one of the 22 options, problem solved
I wish I would have gotten the 22” wheels with the multiple straight spokes. Those powder coated black would look awesome. I think I am also going to add the black grill as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 09:58 AM   #16
ATX512
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokinawa View Post
It can also depend on dealer. My dealer told me that is basically goes like this. Each dealer gets an allocation of build slots. If they are an extremely popular dealer they may fill those and you'll have to wait until their next allocations open to put your order in the build queue.

When I ordered my I missed the final slot my dealer had by one day and it set me back a few weeks.
Yes it all depends on when your dealer has an allocation available. I went to an off the beaten path dealership so they had an allocation available for me. From searching other forums as well, build times seem to take just under two weeks and then shipping varies greatly depending on your location. If they put it on a train it seems to take considerably longer. If anyone is wondering, I got $4K off MSRP and that was the only discount. The dealership 2 miles from my house was offering no discount. Also got the MF of .00145 (got locked in for July numbers).
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 10:04 AM   #17
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Quote:
Cool. Definitely please do share pictures of the powder coating results! Lots of us here bemoaning the wheel color choices.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 10:40 AM   #18
ATX512
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Blue View Post
Cool. Definitely please do share pictures of the powder coating results! Lots of us here bemoaning the wheel color choices.
Will do. I was quoted 2-3 day turnaround time, so I definitely want to get a few days in of driving it before I give it back. I will probably do it when the black grill shows up.
Appreciate 1
Wild Blue3683.50