forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Proper warm up time for the M50i

08-05-2021, 03:46 PM   #1
Wolfstagen
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 2021 M50i

Proper warm up time for the M50i

This part is so confusing for me. On my previous two cars, an m6 and an e63s AMG it took the car at least 10 minutes to be fully warmed up. It was clear by the temperature gauge.

On the m50i, it seems that the car warms up within a minute or so when looking at the gauge. Is that possible that this car warms up this quickly and it's safe to go to high RPMs?

To add to the confusion I read in the manual that before doing launch control, I should drive continuously for around 10km for the car to be properly warmed up.

Does anybody know what the correct warm up duration is?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 05:57 PM   #2
crackerjack15
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Remember your not just warming up the engine by driving around. Also transmission and differentials should be warm for full throttle launches. I would say everything should be warmed up by at least 3 or 4 miles of easy driving in the summer time. Colder weather is going to take longer of course.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 07:37 PM   #3
G39x
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW x7

The oil should get flowing within a few seconds (~10-15 seconds), however it won't reach operating temps along with the other fluids. Another thing I tend to do is to keep cars with turbo's that were driven hard to for a long time to idle for a few minutes (2-3 min) and then turn off to let them cool (especially the X3MC).
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2021, 09:21 AM   #4
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Does the M50 give you oil temp or coolant temp in the instrument cluster? The engine coolant will always get up to temp much faster than the oil, which is what you may be seeing. It is the oil temp that you should using to determine when the engine is at normal operating temp before you start the "spirited" driving.

On the M-cars, the cluster has oil temp from the factory. For the non M-cars, they have engine coolant temp in the cluster. The M50 is technically not an M-car (unlike the X5M for example) so I will speculate the cluster has coolant temp like the rest of the X7 line.

I actually coded my cluster to have the M dash as I prefer to have oil temp over coolant temp - just like in my M3. But I have since coded the M-sport dash to retain other functionality, even though I lost oil temp in the cluster.

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2021, 01:48 PM   #5
Wolfstagen
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 2021 M50i

The m50i only has one temperature gauge and it's a very general gauge, no breakdown of oil temp and engine coolant. So I guess probably the 10k warm-up guideline is the safest option as the car most likely is not showing the oil temperature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
Does the M50 give you oil temp or coolant temp in the instrument cluster? The engine coolant will always get up to temp much faster than the oil, which is what you may be seeing. It is the oil temp that you should using to determine when the engine is at normal operating temp before you start the "spirited" driving.

On the M-cars, the cluster has oil temp from the factory. For the non M-cars, they have engine coolant temp in the cluster. The M50 is technically not an M-car (unlike the X5M for example) so I will speculate the cluster has coolant temp like the rest of the X7 line.

I actually coded my cluster to have the M dash as I prefer to have oil temp over coolant temp - just like in my M3. But I have since coded the M-sport dash to retain other functionality, even though I lost oil temp in the cluster.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2021, 02:13 PM   #6
ImolaRay
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i Carbon Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfstagen View Post
The m50i only has one temperature gauge and it's a very general gauge, no breakdown of oil temp and engine coolant. So I guess probably the 10k warm-up guideline is the safest option as the car most likely is not showing the oil temperature.
Oil Temp is available via one of the iDrive screens. Its an option on the same menu screen where you can view tire pressures.
Appreciate 0