BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum BMW X7 kick to open trunk retrofit with tow hooks retrofit?

10-27-2022, 10:58 PM   #1
Socom
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 535Xi

BMW X7 kick to open trunk retrofit with tow hooks retrofit?

Hey guys,

I have a 2020 x7 m50 with a tow hook up but because of this, there is no kick to open option. Has anyone tried to retrofit it to make it work with the tow hook in the US?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2022, 09:33 AM   #2
weinerbarn
Unapologetic Tool Hoarder
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M Competition

I have done the opposite and added trailer hitch fully integrated on a vehicle with contactless tailgate. Here are some considerations:

1. Is it already prewired for the electronics under the bumper? There is a module and 2 sensors that need to be present for it to work. You can buy the module and sensors if they are missing but not sure you want the headache of adding the wiring back to the BDC if it's not prewired.

2. The Contact-less (kick to open) is mutually exclusive with towing option in the BMW coding. You can manually enable the options with BimmerCode but every time the software is updated OTA, it will reset the options to default (disabled) so you will have to re-enable after every update.

Pictures attached of where the electrons would be and what the connector should look like.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-29-2022, 09:56 PM   #3
themama
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X7, 2016 BMW 535xi

The center trim that goes below the rear fender isn't available for models with towing package. I am interested to see where the upper and bottom sensors will go if we are to add the kick to open.

I have kick to open on my 5er and I love it. I feel like I am missing on the X7 because of towing hook but wouldn't say I can't live without it. If it Is possible to retrofit I would certainly do that.

I see that control module is 270-300 bucks and top and bottom sensors are about 70 bucks for both.
Appreciate 0