BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion A reliable BMW?

03-30-2024, 11:57 AM   #23
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

The newer BMWs are much more complex, all are turbo — which adds heat and more stuff to fail, and more expensive to repair and maintain. I still like them, but won’t try to tell anyone that a modern BMW will be reliable and inexpensive to maintain over then next 10 years and 100-200k miles.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2024, 12:03 PM   #24
Canuck335
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335ix Sedan 6MT

It’s usually not the engines in BMWs you need worry about.

Cooling, AC, and electrical accessories are usually what end up costing a lot in maintenance and repairs.
Appreciate 1
agorski166.50
      03-31-2024, 06:31 AM   #25
Hap
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 240i

Garage List
2018 M240i  [0.00]
Many opinion's

After reading this thread as I have many in the past it is clear you have reliability issues, or you don't.
This machine isn't a basic Toyota with not much fun to drive simplicity. Your buying the car for the performance. I want a car that is fun when you want it to be. I would say performance has the complexities that can possibly have issues. How it is driven and how it is maintained has to figure into the final result. I have had 5 BMW's in past 10 years all with the inline 6 engine. No problems of any kind. I am almost 70 (Old) and do not abuse my cars. I do drive it occasionally to the point that the wife looks at me and says" enough". I enjoy the BMW cars and have a hard time seeing a replacement for $.

Hap
Appreciate 2
Condorll212.00
agorski166.50
      03-31-2024, 07:32 AM   #26
Condorll
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5 xDrive 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hap View Post
After reading this thread as I have many in the past it is clear you have reliability issues, or you don't.
This machine isn't a basic Toyota with not much fun to drive simplicity. Your buying the car for the performance. I want a car that is fun when you want it to be. I would say performance has the complexities that can possibly have issues. How it is driven and how it is maintained has to figure into the final result. I have had 5 BMW's in past 10 years all with the inline 6 engine. No problems of any kind. I am almost 70 (Old) and do not abuse my cars. I do drive it occasionally to the point that the wife looks at me and says" enough". I enjoy the BMW cars and have a hard time seeing a replacement for $.

Hap
Well said, 68 here and feel exactly the same. No issues with my '23 X5 40i at all, love to cruise the highway and on the back roads, sport or sport plus with the adaptive M dampers on sport until the wife says enough....but she doesn't...she loves it!

You only live once, buy a BMW and enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2024, 07:40 AM   #27
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hap View Post

Hap
5 in the past 10 years? If you are leasing new ones and driving them 30,000 miles each, that would not mean much to me, except that new and low mileage cars are more reliable than used or higher mileage cars. If you were buying used examples and taking them to 100k miles, that would be relevant experience.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2024, 08:15 PM   #28
Mavus
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschauerj View Post
50k or so but honestly I'd much prefer something closer to 30k.
You should test drive one with hydraulic steering (e9x as an example) vs eps. There is no comparison.
Appreciate 0