12-22-2023, 07:31 PM   #1
rjabend
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Garage List
2024 X7  [6.50]
Looked at Tesla

I scheduled an "X" test drive but canceled. They charge the buyer $12K for the privilege of being a guinea pig to help them develop fully autonomous driving and the dealer told me it would be a year before it is available. $12K would be pricy for the option, but IMHO the buyer should charge Tesla $12K for helping them

Last edited by rjabend; 12-23-2023 at 09:31 PM..
Appreciate 1
      12-22-2023, 08:31 PM   #2
patrikr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 760i, 2020 Model X LR

It’s been “end of this year” since 2018 or so according to Elon. I’ve paid for and used FSD beta a bunch and there’s no way I would use it when I’m not alone in the car and forget about using it with my kid there. I like a lot of things Tesla are doing but the full self driving software is far away from being ready for prime time IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2023, 10:59 PM   #3
Saejin
Captain
Rep
Drives: None

Lol…on the road I stay far away from all Teslas.
Appreciate 1
LeKayz85.50
      12-23-2023, 01:56 AM   #4
stavstavcc
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: None

I have a Model Y and honestly my old Corolla felt more luxurious

It’s an all around half baked pos
Appreciate 4
      12-23-2023, 09:15 AM   #5
vpatel867
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 F10, 19 xm40i, 24 x7

Garage List
  [10.00]
Never owned Tesla. How are services repair centers? I heard a nightmare to get stuff done, or service in general sucks.
      12-23-2023, 09:55 AM   #6
rjabend
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2024 X7  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpatel867 View Post
Never owned Tesla. How are services repair centers? I heard a nightmare to get stuff done, or service in general sucks.
I have never owned a Tesla but found the dealership to be bare bones/bleak. When I tried to call the dealership, I had to wait about 45 minutes for an "agent" to answer. He said that was normal because this is their busiest month. When I got to the dealer, they said they could provide a direct number to their dealership.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2023, 11:30 AM   #7
Steve737
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 50E sold, BMW X7 40i

We just sold or 2018 MX p100D. It was a really good car for us honestly. The few things that broke were fixed by Tesla in our garage. It’s definitely not to the level of luxury and technology as the X7 but it was really fun to drive in its own way.
      12-23-2023, 12:36 PM   #8
tatoweb
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 X7 40i

I have a Model S Plaid and just sold a Model Y which was my daily and really miss. In my garage I will ALWAYS have at least one Tesla. Is the best all around car I’ve had after having past Mercedes, Audis, a Porsche, Toyota, Ford, Chevy, a Ferrari, Honda, etc etc.

The X7 we just got is more luxurious, more silent and softer ride, but lacks many practical features that Tesla not only has, but also keeps improving every few months.
Appreciate 1
Steve737106.00
      12-23-2023, 01:15 PM   #9
Steve737
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 50E sold, BMW X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatoweb View Post
I have a Model S Plaid and just sold a Model Y which was my daily and really miss. In my garage I will ALWAYS have at least one Tesla. Is the best all around car I’ve had after having past Mercedes, Audis, a Porsche, Toyota, Ford, Chevy, a Ferrari, Honda, etc etc.

The X7 we just got is more luxurious, more silent and softer ride, but lacks many practical features that Tesla not only has, but also keeps improving every few months.
Well said I’m actually going to order an S or X plaid soon for me.
      12-23-2023, 08:55 PM   #10
XB7
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 G63 & 24 XB7

Garage List
2024 XB7  [10.00]
I am just shocked how boring a Tesla is inside and how they are not very comfortable at all....
Appreciate 1
      12-23-2023, 09:20 PM   #11
omnid00d
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i

I looked hard at a model X and enjoyed the ride but For several reasons it wasn’t right for my/my family’s wants/needs and couldn’t reconcile spending another 30k for an R1S with no delivery date in sight so I ended up with my cpo M50i for the time being. Being in the SF Bay Area it’s been very interesting getting some hate from Tesla owners. Apparently Build quality, features, comfort, service and support are irrelevant to the original sin of burning gas.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2023, 12:13 AM   #12
patrikr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 760i, 2020 Model X LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpatel867 View Post
In my experience in the Salt Lake area it’s been ok but one of my biggest issues is that it’s next to impossible to talk to someone, everything is through the app and messaging. Sometimes it’s much easier to just talk to a person. Fortunately we never had any major issues with ours but I can’t imagine how complicated a buy back process would be for example.

Just traded in our fourth Tesla today for an iX50 which means we are now a 100% BMW family. No regrets, build quality etc are worlds apart.
Appreciate 1
      12-24-2023, 08:23 PM   #13
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X7;X5;S-Class;Navigator

It is easy to talk trash about Tesla from the outside…. But as seen above, almost everyone who have tried or currently owns a Tesla can tell you that it is a great car with a great ownership experience.

I wouldn’t mind selling my X7, or X5 or my Benz, but I’d never leave my garage without a Tesla.

You won’t get the same BMW service dealership experience, because service by design isnt a big part of owning a Tesla, but even when u need them, u submit a ticket using the app and then they come to your garage to fix things for u… as simple as that.

As for Self Driving, I’d never pay the 12K, but on long road trips, u can unlock that feature for 200 bucks for a full month. The most recent release, is actually almost like magic… the car really drives itself… hands down better than every other driving assistant system on any other car. And by the way, Auto Pilot is FREE and STANDARD on every Tesla, and is way more than enough for 99% of the times, unless u really want the car to drive u through city u-turns and do the stop signs and hard turns for u, then get the full self driving.

Last edited by BMW5and7; 12-25-2023 at 02:12 PM..
Appreciate 2
tatoweb69.00
jtariq4.50
      12-24-2023, 08:25 PM   #14
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve737 View Post
Well said I’m actually going to order an S or X plaid soon for me.
U will never regret it. I have a lot of nice BMW and BMW toys in my garage… but the Tesla, especially the S or S Plaid, us the only one that I feel is a well rounded and has everything that I must have, even though it does not have everything, but it is the only one that have all the must-have features in one car. It makes all other cars feel stupid, outdates, and hard to drive!
Appreciate 2
jtariq4.50
Steve737106.00
      12-24-2023, 08:44 PM   #15
SUVLustMaster
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX xDrive50

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrikr View Post
In my experience in the Salt Lake area it’s been ok but one of my biggest issues is that it’s next to impossible to talk to someone, everything is through the app and messaging. Sometimes it’s much easier to just talk to a person. Fortunately we never had any major issues with ours but I can’t imagine how complicated a buy back process would be for example.

Just traded in our fourth Tesla today for an iX50 which means we are now a 100% BMW family. No regrets, build quality etc are worlds apart.
iX is incredible. I love mine. I do need one that’s ICE…in the form of an X7
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2023, 09:24 PM   #16
rjabend
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2024 X7  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW5and7 View Post
It is easy to talk trash about Tesla from the outside…. But as seen above, almost everyone who have tried or currently owns a Tesla can tell you that it is a great car with a great ownership experience.

I wouldn’t mind selling my X7, or X7 or my Benz, but I’d never leave my garage without a Tesla.

You won’t get the same BMW service dealership experience, because service by design isnt a big part of owning a Tesla, but even when u need them, u submit a ticket using the app and then they come to your garage to fix things for u… as simple as that.

As for Self Driving, I’d never pay the 12K, but on long road trips, u can unlock that feature for 200 bucks for a full month. The most recent release, is actually almost like magic… the car really drives itself… hands down better than every other driving assistant system on any other car. And by the way, Auto Pilot is FREE and STANDARD on every Tesla, and is way more than enough for 99% of the times, unless u really want the car to drive u through city u-turns and do the stop signs and hard turns for u, then get the full self driving.
I value your input and your positive Tesla report was one of the reasons I tried to schedule a test drive. My depiction is accurate and was not a good experience. I guess it is possibly a local problem. Tesla sent me a survey and I'll let you know if they respond to my input.

PS - I concur with your BMW assessment

Last edited by rjabend; 12-24-2023 at 09:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2023, 04:27 AM   #17
rjabend
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2024 X7  [6.50]
Several folks have indicated Tesla comes to your home for vehicle repairs. I am wondering what they bring such as a portable vehicle lift etc. Do they have a special service vehicle? What is their typical response time?
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2023, 08:30 AM   #18
tatoweb
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjabend View Post
Several folks have indicated Tesla comes to your home for vehicle repairs. I am wondering what they bring such as a portable vehicle lift etc. Do they have a special service vehicle? What is their typical response time?
Tesla repairs at your place when no heavy work is needed. When vehicle lifting, dismount tires and other heavy work is needed, they will make the appointment at a service center.

For example, my daughter broke the automatic charging door and they came to me. I swapped the Plaid’s yoke for a steering wheel and they came to me, swapped the wheel and programmed the car. One of the seat belt buckles failed and they came to me. On my very first Tesla I had an issue with the trunk opening and they came to me.

One time a technician came with a service van and the rest have come with a Tesla with no rear seats to carry their equipment.

Technicians are very friendly and usually will address any other concern you might have.

Response time to come to you is usually 5-7 days away.

You request service, send them pictures, chat with them, schedule dates, approve estimates, pay, etc. all through the app which is amazing.
Appreciate 2
rjabend371.00
keg97169.00
      12-25-2023, 02:02 PM   #19
Giggler
Banned
Rep
Drives: 20' M340i, 24' X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatoweb View Post
What “practical” features, specifically? When I think of a practical feature, I think of something like a heads up display, or 5 minutes spent every 500 miles at the gas station.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2023, 02:09 PM   #20
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I think you need a lot of responses to get to an accurate assessment.

For example. my local BMW dealer would always not have any spot to look at any of my BMWs until at least 4 weeks (happens eveytime, anytime during the year). MY local Tesla dealer is way faster for both home service... so the thing is, it varies for both companies from one location to another.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2023, 02:11 PM   #21
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I value your input and your positive Tesla report was one of the reasons I tried to schedule a test drive. My depiction is accurate and was not a good experience. I guess it is possibly a local problem. Tesla sent me a survey and I'll let you know if they respond to my input.

PS - I concur with your BMW assessment

I appreciate it.

What I learned recently is, there is not a single car or brand on the market now that has it all .... really.. I love all my cars equally but non of them is complete, neither the BMWs neither the Tesla.... but I feel the Tesla gives me the least amount of things that I'd miss as I drive it.... but again, they all need something to be THE ONE.... I reaaalllllyyy look forward for a smarter X7 technologically that is also an EV...... Right not he i7 is a big disappointment with the current BMW tech, but I hope by the time they make a full EV X7, the tech woud improve (and so as the range).
Appreciate 1
rjabend371.00
      12-25-2023, 02:35 PM   #22
tatoweb
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggler View Post
What “practical” features, specifically?
- Digital keys don’t conflict between two users. The car always recognizes who is driving.
-No turning on and off
-Instant torque and no gearbox shifting can’t be compared to anything else.
-One pedal driving is super comfortable.
-One pedal driving means you never need brakes service.
-One pedal driving means your wheels don’t get dirty instantly like in many cars.
-Car is practically 100% maintenance free.
-Many warranty stuff can be done by Tesla at your house.
-Car is fully charged every morning.
-Tons of fuel savings.
-Tesla navigation and software is years ahead of any other brand. I mean, it even recommends to charge 100% when a hurricane is coming.
-Turn signal cameras for blind spots.
-Cruise control can be activated from 10mph. Useful for school zones. (BMW 20mph minimum).
-Theater system is amazing.
-Not only software and features keep improving very frequently, but they also keep coming up with new ones.
-Front and rear trunks storage.
-Phone can be seen while on the wireless charger.
-Car is always recording its surroundings parked and driving.
-You can view all the cameras live from the app.
-You can leave the A/C on all you want while parked without an engine idling.
-A/C is VERY strong.
-Seats A/C works.

…among many others.

My point isn’t that it is a perfect car. Our X7 has some things that are better than our Tesla like a more luxurious interior, a very soft ride, B&W sound is amazing, etc. and I do like the X7, but definitely if one car has to go, it will be any other before the Tesla. But hey, to each their own ✌🏻.
Appreciate 3