F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Suspension dilemma
proTUNING Freaks

10-07-2015, 11:25 AM   #23
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

From what I hear it's the front splitter that increases the risk/likelihood of scraping, not ACS springs in isolation. I've had ACS fitted and have only had one incident with scraping and that was on a particularly sharp down-up gradient change on a ramp out of a car park.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2015, 11:26 AM   #24
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

From what I hear it's the front splitter that increases the risk/likelihood of scraping, not ACS springs in isolation. I've had ACS fitted and have only had one incident with scraping and that was on a particularly sharp down-up gradient change on a ramp out of a car park.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2015, 11:41 AM   #25
takumichinoku
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

I know it's the splitter lol but I'm not going to take that off because it cost me a fortune and looks the dogs

Not hijacking the thread btw OP! Back on topic
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2015, 11:44 AM   #26
Yeatser
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 435d xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by takumichinoku View Post
I know it's the splitter lol but I'm not going to take that off because it cost me a fortune and looks the dogs

Not hijacking the thread btw OP! Back on topic
Haha no problem, just measured the clearance I have on the bumper at present and it's only 80mm from the ground so don't want it any lower.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2015, 11:47 AM   #27
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
As its adjustable for bump and rebound, and as you would be moving from a passive setup, I'd seriously consider ACS RS. You can get switchable mode dampers, but the cars that I've driven or ridden in (335xD and M4) were really well tied down.
Separately adjustable put me off buying KW3 or ACS RS kit, as you can't change the rebound without removing the dampers. So it is effectively 'non adjustable'.

Bilstein PSS10 the compression and rebound are linked, and both adjusted by a single accessible dial. 4 minutes to change all 4 corners on the side of a road, no tools.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2015, 12:00 PM   #28
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeatser
Dilemma : which suspension set up to go for

ACS RS kit or Birds B4x sports suspension kit inc ARB,s???

ACS gets great reviews on this forum but Birds also gets a great write up in BMWCar mag

I,l be driving mostly on twisty bumpy B roads in Scotland and don't want to be riding to low as I've a low front spoiler already fitted which is not great over speed bumps.

What's your thoughts and experience?

Thanks

Kenny
I spoke with Kevin Bird last week and he said his revised setup for xdrive now sticks with standard anti roll bars, so it's springs and dampers only. The dampers being the custom valved Bilstein B10s.

I think the ACS RS kit would be the outright handling champ from those two, but Birds puts a bit more emphasis on low speed ride comfort- so more like Alpina. So depends on your priorities really. If you ever do any track work I'd be inclined to go with the ACS RS option, sticking with public RS then Birds may be better.

Or as NISFAN says, have a look in to the Bilsteins! I'm likely to change my suspension next year and likely to go for Birds or Bilsteins, as they're a bit cheaper.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2015, 12:41 PM   #29
Yeatser
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 435d xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
I spoke with Kevin Bird last week and he said his revised setup for xdrive now sticks with standard anti roll bars, so it's springs and dampers only. The dampers being the custom valved Bilstein B10s.

I think the ACS RS kit would be the outright handling champ from those two, but Birds puts a bit more emphasis on low speed ride comfort- so more like Alpina. So depends on your priorities really. If you ever do any track work I'd be inclined to go with the ACS RS option, sticking with public RS then Birds may be better.

Or as NISFAN says, have a look in to the Bilsteins! I'm likely to change my suspension next year and likely to go for Birds or Bilsteins, as they're a bit cheaper.
The ACS RS set up isn't cheap with fitting costs on top of the kit but Lorcan was very accommodating to suggest getting them fitted by BMW in Aberdeen saving costs of fuel and a hotel if I was to go down to get them fitted, Lorcan actually even got me the fitting cost from BMW so great customer service which counts for a lot.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2015, 12:58 PM   #30
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SMB M3 CP with lots of carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeatser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post

The ACS RS set up isn't cheap with fitting costs on top of the kit but Lorcan was very accommodating to suggest getting them fitted by BMW in Aberdeen saving costs of fuel and a hotel if I was to go down to get them fitted, Lorcan actually even got me the fitting cost from BMW so great customer service which counts for a lot.
It's not cheap AND it won't be for everyone as the low speed ride is a bit worse.

BUT dear God does the car handle when pushing on. Let local BMW technician out in mine (who has a 335d) and he was speechless.
San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2015, 02:25 AM   #31
Mattyk
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i

I notice birds no longer do the arb's for the 335d? Or so it seems from the website??

The remap looks mighty, although you pay for it. The 'box seems permanently outside its comfort zone though ?!

Gone
F36 435d
F30 335d
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2015, 03:34 AM   #32
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk
I notice birds no longer do the arb's for the 335d? Or so it seems from the website??

The remap looks mighty, although you pay for it. The 'box seems permanently outside its comfort zone though ?!
That might be the case as They're trying to move away from selling parts to selling coherent packages of optimised parts- so for the 335d it's springs and dampers. There seems to be differences between xdrive and xdrive set ups that mean putting on stiffer arbs on the xdrive compromises the low speed ride too much if you then up the dampers too.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2015, 06:14 AM   #33
Mattyk
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i

It would be interesting to see the various maps overlapped and say 50-120 times pre and post

(sorry OP, way off topic - you just need to set the amount you want to spend and desired outcome
- cheap/just improved then acs springs
- mid cost, much better handling, Nisfan style set up if you can handle the drop or birds
- not bothered about cost, mighty fast road and don't car about low speed crashing full acs rs set up

Cost driven really)

[post tidied up ]

Sat waiting for first service to be finished .... £289 for oil and filter

Edit, my seals got the silicon pen treatment. Blame was laid on car shampoo!

Gone
F36 435d
F30 335d

Last edited by Mattyk; 10-08-2015 at 12:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2015, 06:32 AM   #34
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk
It would be interesting to see the various maps overlapped and say 50-120 times pre and post (sorry OP, way off topic - you just need to set the amount you want to spend and desired outcome, cheap/just improved then acs springs, mid cost, much better handling, Nisfan style set up if you can handle the drop or birds, not bothered about cost, mighty fast road and don't car about low speed crashing full acs re set up)

Cost driven really

Sat waiting for first service to be finished .... £289 for oil and filter
I think that's a fair summary. By next spring I will be up around 70k miles and will consider a suspension overhaul and refresh. If I was choosing right now I'd be choosing between the Birds set up and the Bilsteins. I'd probably go Bilsteins so I can soften up for the road, and to take in to account my stiffer arbs that are already installed, and then ramp up for occasional track work.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2015, 10:38 AM   #35
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Don't go lower than the ACS spring kit, even on the F30 it's too low and you'll scrape the car a lot. I most likely won't be lowering at all in future.
As (I think) I'm one of the only bods with the RS kit on here, think I can just about pass comment. Depends on whether you go for the splitter or not. Standard front end it's absolutely fine - you'd be unlucky to catch. I scrape every now and then but that's because I put the splitter on and it's the approach angle that causes probs. It is mostly on steep car park ramps (solution drive at angle) and really aggressive speed bumps (can usually get round). Other than that, some of our single track lanes where middle of road is higher than both sides. Sounds far worse than it is.

Wouldn't trade it for anything though as it utterly pi**es on the standard setup.

Can't comment on Birds as never tried it...
It's not just the front, it's the middle of the car too, i almost got beached on someone's driveway the other day!
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2015, 01:31 PM   #36
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SMB M3 CP with lots of carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Don't go lower than the ACS spring kit, even on the F30 it's too low and you'll scrape the car a lot. I most likely won't be lowering at all in future.
As (I think) I'm one of the only bods with the RS kit on here, think I can just about pass comment. Depends on whether you go for the splitter or not. Standard front end it's absolutely fine - you'd be unlucky to catch. I scrape every now and then but that's because I put the splitter on and it's the approach angle that causes probs. It is mostly on steep car park ramps (solution drive at angle) and really aggressive speed bumps (can usually get round). Other than that, some of our single track lanes where middle of road is higher than both sides. Sounds far worse than it is.

Wouldn't trade it for anything though as it utterly pi**es on the standard setup.

Can't comment on Birds as never tried it...
It's not just the front, it's the middle of the car too, i almost got beached on someone's driveway the other day!
Serious?! That's never happened to me and I am pretty low!!!!
San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux
Appreciate 0