BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum 2023 BMW X7 LCI Official Reveal!

04-13-2022, 06:51 PM   #221
Doctor///M
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 AUDI RS6

Garage List
2023 Audi RS6 Avant  [0.00]
BMW M2 Competition   [10.00]
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2015 M3  [9.52]
BMWs have genuinely become the ugliest cars on the market. My opinion.
Appreciate 3
Ibiza3480.00
stein_325i25051.00
      04-13-2022, 07:08 PM   #222
bimmerwerks
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05xdrive40I

Kinda look like genesis too….

Now I wonder how many people wants to order current x7 before time runs out…
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2022, 07:26 PM   #223
Penguino
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: A car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor///M View Post
That's a harsh statement but it's hard to argue that they have not fallen behind Audi, Mercedes and Porsche when it comes to design.

The new direction with the XM, iX, G80, i7 and the new X7 LCI are clear indicators of the direction of future BMWs. And they are not good indicators.

Regarding the X7 LCI, I do not hate it as much as I'd like to hate it. I actually don't hate it at all, but I want to somehow.
      04-13-2022, 07:53 PM   #224
srgntBMW
Rep
Drives: F31 328d

Quote:
So why are you here?
Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan24817.00
BMWRL596.00
      04-13-2022, 07:55 PM   #225
srgntBMW
Rep
Drives: F31 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenetic View Post
It's ugly. It's like a face version of a Bangle Butt.
Thanks troll. Go join the MB fan club.
Appreciate 1
BMWRL596.00
      04-13-2022, 08:12 PM   #226
TXSchnee
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguino View Post
Quote:
That's a harsh statement but it's hard to argue that they have not fallen behind Audi, Mercedes and Porsche when it comes to design.

The new direction with the XM, iX, G80, i7 and the new X7 LCI are clear indicators of the direction of future BMWs. And they are not good indicators.

Regarding the X7 LCI, I do not hate it as much as I'd like to hate it. I actually don't hate it at all, but I want to somehow.
The G80 isn't pretty, but it looks better than this. The iX also looks better in person than in pictures, maybe this will be the same, however I cannot get over the split headlights, just looks down market since all other vehicles with them are cheaper.
2015 BMW X5 xDrive35i (sold)
2015 BMW X3 xDrive28i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2022, 08:13 PM   #227
Frenetic
PANIC!
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Wow, are you personally offended by someone who has an opinion about the looks of a car? I feel sorry for you.

And that was directed towards srgntBMW, someone who crawled out of a dormant account created four years ago.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2022, 08:49 PM   #228
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Blue View Post
As a heavy X7 enthusiast and owner, here's my $.02 on lots of details:
  • Generally, I like it
  • These are my 85% first impressions, and will reserve final judgement until I see it in person. (i.e. illuminated grill)
  • So far, I'm only seeing some things I would consider "improvements" on the X7. A lot seems to me to just be different styling, particularly the front end. Not necessarily an improvement, but not bad either. Actual improvements seem to be in iDrive, driver assistance, engines, and transmission, so we do get some new techy stuff. Pretty much the definition of LCI refreshes.
  • That front end is the most dramatic change and is sure to spark large coversation. I think the Luxury line (see the gray 40i car) is a little wonky with the inlaid chrome. But at least it has less chrome than the current Luxury line. IMHO the Sport line (see the blue M60i pics) nose looks better, but I strongly prefer Sport on the current model as well
  • Note that the M60i side rearview mirrors now are the sport mirrors from the X5M, with the extra inward point. More aggressive looking. Some people like them, some don't. I considered putting them on my MY2021 M50i, but decided against it as they are indeed much more aggressive.
  • Yay, we finally get the carbon/aluminum/sport interior trim I've been wanting on the X7 from the beginning
  • On that note, IMHO shadowline blacked out exterior trim option is still the way to go
  • Not sure about this M or X7 illuminate badging on the interior dash trim in front of the passenger. Hopefully that's optional, but press release seems to indicate it's now standard. I'd prefer a cleaner and classy look of the dash, that's not all marked up
  • Illuminated front kidney grill option? Meh, okay. Will see what it looks like in person. Don't need to turn the X7 into more of a bling bling mobile.
  • Will have to see these new rear tail lights operating in person. Sounds interesting, and appearance in the videos in this thread looks good. "Glass" covers instead of the usual plastic? Interesting.
  • Interesting add of the ///M to the front grill on the M60i. I'd prefer it cleaner without it
  • Looks to be a small change to the M60i exhaust tips. I like it.
  • 23" wheels available for the first time to non-Alpina models. It was inevitable, the way the car market keeps going bigger and bigger rims. Personaly, I'm not as attracted that particular 23" rim.
  • I'm not sure yet about the new large continuous dash "Curved Display". Will see how it looks in person. But iDrive 8 should be exciting.
  • Updates to HUD appearance look good in those videos
  • Air vent redesign looks okay, but I'm not sure why they did it. Current vents work and look fine. Probably felt compelled going to iDrive 8 and large curved display. But I'm thinking it's not a good idea that they've gotten rid of the small environment display, where you can easily see the current settings, fan speed, temperatures, etc. It's now all moved up into the new curved display, which already has limited real estate for information. Similarly, got rid of physical buttons for environmental control changes, heated seat controls, etc? Ehhhhhh...
  • So far, I'm not seeing ANY indication BMW re-designed the 2nd/3rd row seating controls, as is sorely needed. Still seeing the same buttons. Will there be any improvement to this? The 2nd video in this thread says the Captain's Chairs still don't fold down, like they should. At least faster seat motor movement speeds would have been nice, but the video shows the exact same operation. Seats and 2nd row captain's chairs floor console all look the same as current, in the press pics and videos. I had big expectations that BMW would make significant seating control changes, as this was one of the biggest X7 owner complaints, right from the beginning of X7 production.
  • Small thing, but it looks like they added the seat quilting pattern to the lower "pocket" portion of the front seat back, which is an improvement to the 2nd row appearance.
  • Not seeing any indication of changes or upgrades to audio sound systems
  • Looks like the seatback accessory slots now have two USB-C outlets instead of one each.
  • Let's talk shifter console. Shifter knob is now a little lever--okay, different style, but I think I actually prefer a knob. Note that not only is AS/S button gone (as was expected), but the camera record button is gone, as is the Adaptive driving mode! This last one is big for me, as I like it so much, I even had my X7 coded to default to the Adaptive driving mode upon every startup. Maybe this is just unique to that 40i model pic, if it doesn't have the Dynamic Handling Package. We'll see--press release seems to indicate that may be the case. I see a "TEL" button in front of the iDrive controller has replaced another button on the current X7 model.
  • Due to the NTHSA **FINALLY** approving anti-dazzle matrix lights in the USA, these should hopefully finally be enabled from the factory on LCI models
  • New M Marina Bay Blue exterior paint on the M60i? Okay. Maybe that's the blue LCI pics shown. We already have several blues, though, and don't think you can get better than Tanzanite Blue II. New "Sparkling Copper Grey"? Okay, but we already have several grays, too. We need a silver, like the classic BMW Titanium metallic silver. At least the grey on that 40i in the press pics looks a little silver in some lights.
  • New 48V hybrid add to both engines. Cool power boost on the 40i. But even though M50i becomes M60i, the hybrid add doesn't seem to come with any power boost, only change in operation efficiency. New XB7 seems to be even hotter.
  • New transmission sounds nice, including this new "Sprint" function
  • Press release indicates that suspension should be improved. Will have to check it out
  • New "vegan" seat material on base 40i. Whatever. But Full Merino leather option returns in multiple colors of black, white, Tartufo, and white/grey. I wanted Full Black on mine, but option was removed in MY2021/2022. Poo. Is the current signature Full white/blue option being discontinued?
  • Yay that we now have 5G data
  • Expanded functionality of "Digital Key Plus" sounds cool
  • New physical key fobs look more flashy than functional. I don't need an artistic key fob that'll sit in my pocket.
  • Groovy new trailer towing functions
  • New Maneuver Assistant sounds really neat, including being able to control from outside the car via the MyBMW app. But I'm wondering just how precise it is. Seems most needed for tight parking garages and such, but is it precise enough to do it right, on its own?
  • On that note, WHERE IS THE AUTOMATIC HEIGHT SUSPENSION OPERATION WE'VE BEEN ASKING FOR? i.e. the X7 automatically adjusting the suspension to a preselected option height, (like low entry height) every time the ignition is switched off. And suspension height control from the MyBMW app while outside the vehicle. This is the #1 most requested feature on the X7, and we've been hoping it would appear on the LCI.

Looking forward to seeing the LCI in person and checking out all these things.
Great summary, nailed it, WB.

I’m very concerned about the loss of physical buttons, gearshift, and zero improvement to the speed/functionality of the electric seats. Why is BMW getting so radical with the largest/most expensive car that’s got the highest age demographic? My wife took 3 years to figure out how to operate our 2019. She’s going to lose her sh-t with the 2022.
Appreciate 1
gpitts247.00
      04-13-2022, 09:33 PM   #229
Tr4ckD4ys
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 X7 M50i / TBii / Tartufo

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddwalton View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Blue View Post
As a heavy X7 enthusiast and owner, here's my $.02 on lots of details:
  • Generally, I like it
  • These are my 85% first impressions, and will reserve final judgement until I see it in person. (i.e. illuminated grill)
  • So far, I'm only seeing some things I would consider "improvements" on the X7. A lot seems to me to just be different styling, particularly the front end. Not necessarily an improvement, but not bad either. Actual improvements seem to be in iDrive, driver assistance, engines, and transmission, so we do get some new techy stuff. Pretty much the definition of LCI refreshes.
  • That front end is the most dramatic change and is sure to spark large coversation. I think the Luxury line (see the gray 40i car) is a little wonky with the inlaid chrome. But at least it has less chrome than the current Luxury line. IMHO the Sport line (see the blue M60i pics) nose looks better, but I strongly prefer Sport on the current model as well
  • Note that the M60i side rearview mirrors now are the sport mirrors from the X5M, with the extra inward point. More aggressive looking. Some people like them, some don't. I considered putting them on my MY2021 M50i, but decided against it as they are indeed much more aggressive.
  • Yay, we finally get the carbon/aluminum/sport interior trim I've been wanting on the X7 from the beginning
  • On that note, IMHO shadowline blacked out exterior trim option is still the way to go
  • Not sure about this M or X7 illuminate badging on the interior dash trim in front of the passenger. Hopefully that's optional, but press release seems to indicate it's now standard. I'd prefer a cleaner and classy look of the dash, that's not all marked up
  • Illuminated front kidney grill option? Meh, okay. Will see what it looks like in person. Don't need to turn the X7 into more of a bling bling mobile.
  • Will have to see these new rear tail lights operating in person. Sounds interesting, and appearance in the videos in this thread looks good. "Glass" covers instead of the usual plastic? Interesting.
  • Interesting add of the ///M to the front grill on the M60i. I'd prefer it cleaner without it
  • Looks to be a small change to the M60i exhaust tips. I like it.
  • 23" wheels available for the first time to non-Alpina models. It was inevitable, the way the car market keeps going bigger and bigger rims. Personaly, I'm not as attracted that particular 23" rim.
  • I'm not sure yet about the new large continuous dash "Curved Display". Will see how it looks in person. But iDrive 8 should be exciting.
  • Updates to HUD appearance look good in those videos
  • Air vent redesign looks okay, but I'm not sure why they did it. Current vents work and look fine. Probably felt compelled going to iDrive 8 and large curved display. But I'm thinking it's not a good idea that they've gotten rid of the small environment display, where you can easily see the current settings, fan speed, temperatures, etc. It's now all moved up into the new curved display, which already has limited real estate for information. Similarly, got rid of physical buttons for environmental control changes, heated seat controls, etc? Ehhhhhh...
  • So far, I'm not seeing ANY indication BMW re-designed the 2nd/3rd row seating controls, as is sorely needed. Still seeing the same buttons. Will there be any improvement to this? The 2nd video in this thread says the Captain's Chairs still don't fold down, like they should. At least faster seat motor movement speeds would have been nice, but the video shows the exact same operation. Seats and 2nd row captain's chairs floor console all look the same as current, in the press pics and videos. I had big expectations that BMW would make significant seating control changes, as this was one of the biggest X7 owner complaints, right from the beginning of X7 production.
  • Small thing, but it looks like they added the seat quilting pattern to the lower "pocket" portion of the front seat back, which is an improvement to the 2nd row appearance.
  • Not seeing any indication of changes or upgrades to audio sound systems
  • Looks like the seatback accessory slots now have two USB-C outlets instead of one each.
  • Let's talk shifter console. Shifter knob is now a little lever--okay, different style, but I think I actually prefer a knob. Note that not only is AS/S button gone (as was expected), but the camera record button is gone, as is the Adaptive driving mode! This last one is big for me, as I like it so much, I even had my X7 coded to default to the Adaptive driving mode upon every startup. Maybe this is just unique to that 40i model pic, if it doesn't have the Dynamic Handling Package. We'll see--press release seems to indicate that may be the case. I see a "TEL" button in front of the iDrive controller has replaced another button on the current X7 model.
  • Due to the NTHSA **FINALLY** approving anti-dazzle matrix lights in the USA, these should hopefully finally be enabled from the factory on LCI models
  • New M Marina Bay Blue exterior paint on the M60i? Okay. Maybe that's the blue LCI pics shown. We already have several blues, though, and don't think you can get better than Tanzanite Blue II. New "Sparkling Copper Grey"? Okay, but we already have several grays, too. We need a silver, like the classic BMW Titanium metallic silver. At least the grey on that 40i in the press pics looks a little silver in some lights.
  • New 48V hybrid add to both engines. Cool power boost on the 40i. But even though M50i becomes M60i, the hybrid add doesn't seem to come with any power boost, only change in operation efficiency. New XB7 seems to be even hotter.
  • New transmission sounds nice, including this new "Sprint" function
  • Press release indicates that suspension should be improved. Will have to check it out
  • New "vegan" seat material on base 40i. Whatever. But Full Merino leather option returns in multiple colors of black, white, Tartufo, and white/grey. I wanted Full Black on mine, but option was removed in MY2021/2022. Poo. Is the current signature Full white/blue option being discontinued?
  • Yay that we now have 5G data
  • Expanded functionality of "Digital Key Plus" sounds cool
  • New physical key fobs look more flashy than functional. I don't need an artistic key fob that'll sit in my pocket.
  • Groovy new trailer towing functions
  • New Maneuver Assistant sounds really neat, including being able to control from outside the car via the MyBMW app. But I'm wondering just how precise it is. Seems most needed for tight parking garages and such, but is it precise enough to do it right, on its own?
  • On that note, [SIZE="4"][COLOR="Red"]WHERE IS THE AUTOMATIC HEIGHT SUSPENSION OPERATION WE'VE BEEN ASKING FOR? [/COLOR][/SIZE] i.e. the X7 automatically adjusting the suspension to a preselected option height, (like low entry height) every time the ignition is switched off. And suspension height control from the MyBMW app while outside the vehicle. This is the #1 most requested feature on the X7, and we've been hoping it would appear on the LCI.

Looking forward to seeing the LCI in person and checking out all these things.
Great summary, nailed it, WB.

I’m very concerned about the loss of physical buttons, gearshift, and zero improvement to the speed/functionality of the electric seats. Why is BMW getting so radical with the largest/most expensive car that’s got the highest age demographic? My wife took 3 years to figure out how to operate our 2019. She’s going to lose her sh-t with the 2022.
I think the most important question that would silence all other concerns for me is: How does it drive? Feels better? Worse? Different? Other than that, quite a few new things, some clear misses and overall just not something for me to run to the dealer and try to get out of my '22 X7 early
      04-13-2022, 09:55 PM   #230
Jthompson
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Escalade ESV, M4, Range Rover

Too Fussy and Over-Styled

I think this refresh is too fussy and over-styled. There's a lot going on both outside and inside and the vibe feels unrefined. I have a 2019 40i M-sport - this refresh wouldn't get me back to the dealer to make a trade. Also, while maybe not a direct competitor, the redesigned Range Rover looks much more refined and is a better design. The RR looks expensive - the LCI X7 looks messy and some of the details are tacky.
Appreciate 1
chrisny546.50
      04-13-2022, 10:20 PM   #231
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Those thin headlights are the business. That X7 looks quite futuristic.
Appreciate 2
bmr760139.00
BMWRL596.00
      04-13-2022, 10:34 PM   #232
Tr4ckD4ys
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
That reputation score is absolutely crazy. Have you ever looked back and debated how much of your life you've spent giving to this forum? Serious question.
      04-13-2022, 10:47 PM   #233
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr4ckD4ys View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
That reputation score is absolutely crazy.
16 years on the forum will do that.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2022, 11:09 PM   #234
PhoenixBimmer
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 2017 X5 2014 535(sold)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccoj3 View Post
don't understand why they haven't addressed the non-pass through second row captain chairs. I get it, in ME / Asian markets this is geared towards executive transport, but many in US who want dedicated third row would prefer to not put seats down. I know, practicality on this forum, but it makes a big difference. My wife will go GLS hands down simply due to that issue.
totally agree! such a disappointment!
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2022, 12:04 AM   #235
clutchdj
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a few cars

not sure about the front end, but what is up with the shifter delete mod.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2022, 12:10 AM   #236
E9T.two
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP, 2023 X7 40i M

Garage List
2013 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
I like it… though it feels weird that the front end gets a massive design change and the rear stays practically the same. Overall though it's a step in the right direction. This is only the second iteration of BMW's large flagship SUV and they've done a good job with it. I would imagine that the next gen addresses some of the major pain points that have been expressed here. Really liking the M60i, especially with those M seats, but with the refresh, even the base model looks good. Can't wait to see it in person!
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24817.00
      04-14-2022, 01:15 AM   #237
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerwerks View Post
Kinda look like genesis too….

Now I wonder how many people wants to order current x7 before time runs out…
Just sent my build spec/number to my SA.
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2022, 02:10 AM   #238
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by n55f15 View Post
I hope it is not an error BUT if one selects M sport then you get M multifunctional seats now with several choices of individual leather. The m logo is lit on them so very confusing. Also hope its not
Only restricted to M60i
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-14-2022, 02:14 AM   #239
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1230vani View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by n55f15 View Post
I hope it is not an error BUT if one selects M sport then you get M multifunctional seats now with several choices of individual leather. The m logo is lit on them so very confusing. Also hope its not
Only restricted to M60i
Also the bmw.co.uk shows the artificial leather with comfort seats, also in silverstone color (my abs fav color in M cars, however not available on m multifuctional and has a different pattern on comfort seats).
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-14-2022, 03:26 AM   #240
Multimodal
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i, 2018 911 T

I hate it. Disgusting. If this is the new design language for BMW, please direct me to the Audi dealership.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2022, 04:26 AM   #241
Tallest
Major General
Rep
Drives: 911

Garage List
2011 911  [10.00]
Just to be clear, the DRLs are on top, the headlights are lower. BMW doesnt show them turned on, shows that they are not confident in this design just yet...

This is a multi storey headlight arrangement as seen on some Skodas and Citroens earlier, plus some other brands I cant think of. Not new but this is how designers want to move away from huge headlamps that need to balance massive front faces of SUVs, and this is one way.

It is strange that no one understood that even the XM concept had two storey headlights, and even right now not all people are getting it. No one even commented that on the XM, which I always thought a bit strange. At least now you can see it clearer but how it looks in real life is really interesting. I dont hate it.

example.

Last edited by Tallest; 04-14-2022 at 04:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2022, 05:52 AM   #242
Tr4ckD4ys
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest View Post
Just to be clear, the DRLs are on top, the headlights are lower. BMW doesnt show them turned on, shows that they are not confident in this design just yet...

This is a multi storey headlight arrangement as seen on some Skodas and Citroens earlier, plus some other brands I cant think of. Not new but this is how designers want to move away from huge headlamps that need to balance massive front faces of SUVs, and this is one way.

It is strange that no one understood that even the XM concept had two storey headlights, and even right now not all people are getting it. No one even commented that on the XM, which I always thought a bit strange. At least now you can see it clearer but how it looks in real life is really interesting. I dont hate it.

example.
[IMG]https://autodesignmagazine.com/wp-co...Citroen_DS.jpg[/IMG]
Actually they do show them turned on. There are several pictures on the website. Below just one of them. The DRLs are some of the worst looking in BMW history - no more angel eyes, curved eyes, round eyes… none of it. Just two lines. Not distinctive in any kind of way.
Attached Images

ai38868.50