BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Any tips for a long drive with a full car - 7 Pass + luggage

05-02-2024, 06:11 PM   #23
MADBMWX5MC
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by streborx View Post
Car theft and contents theft in DC are rampant. Keep your vehicle locked in a secure area, and leave nothing in your vehicle at any time. External luggage carriers could limit where you can park, and invite thieves.

With 7 travelers, I'd take Amtrak instead, and stick with tour groups.
That's so true ref Car Theft in the DC area...
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2024, 07:08 AM   #24
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenew3 View Post
What I'm planning is to have only one of the 3rd row seats up. We'll sit 3 in the 2nd row (2 adults and the 9 year old kid).

This will give us about 1/2 of the space in the rear for bags and stuff. I think we should be able to fit 4-5 carry on sized bags in that space. Which may work for a shorter trip (assuming I can convince the wife she doesn't need to bring 10 outfits and 6 pairs of shoes for each travel day).

Will try to load it up a few days ahead of time as a test. Worst case, I'll borrow a roof cargo box from a neighbor and put some bags up there.
This will work, but use duffel bags instead of carry-on's. Reason being that the person in the 3rd Row seat will be leaning into the bags, shoulder to shoulder, and the hard sides of the carry-on's will get uncomfortable.

With duffels, not only will that passenger be able to squish them a bit to get more arm-room, but you'll get more clothing onboard (happy wife) as the duffels make better use of the space, are lightweight, etc.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2024, 07:43 AM   #25
tinfoiltuna
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 M60i

Slightly different for me than other people posting: this is my only “people hauler” car, and I like to get the absolute most use out of my cars possible. Talking driving everywhere with it, eating, beverages, camping, tailgating, etc. out of it. Basically everything opposite of the proverbial garage queen. Using it as a utility, which to me is what makes the car fun: enough room with passengers to slam down Taco Bell in supreme comfort while doing 0-60 in 4s on an on ramp.

Granted I still obsessively clean it and avoid scratches but it stops being fun at some point if I’m too paranoid about it.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2024, 09:36 AM   #26
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7, 2016 X3, 2021 MME

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinfoiltuna View Post
Slightly different for me than other people posting: this is my only “people hauler” car, and I like to get the absolute most use out of my cars possible. Talking driving everywhere with it, eating, beverages, camping, tailgating, etc. out of it. Basically everything opposite of the proverbial garage queen. Using it as a utility, which to me is what makes the car fun: enough room with passengers to slam down Taco Bell in supreme comfort while doing 0-60 in 4s on an on ramp.

Granted I still obsessively clean it and avoid scratches but it stops being fun at some point if I’m too paranoid about it.
Sounds like you and I are in the same boat

I bought it to enjoy it, not to park/garage it and drive an uncomfortable rental
Appreciate 1
      05-03-2024, 11:01 AM   #27
sharp
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenew3 View Post
Sounds like you and I are in the same boat

I bought it to enjoy it, not to park/garage it and drive an uncomfortable rental
The same here. My X7 is the only vehicle in my garage and we drive it every day. It takes us to campgrounds, vacation destinations and many other places. For my family of 4 it is absolutely perfect.

But the original question was about taking 7 people for a reasonably long trip. And this is where I think the X7 lacks. The 2nd and 3rd row passengers will be cramped space or legroom-wise. Cargo space will also be significantly constrained, so a roof box or a hitch cargo carrier will be required as well, which isn't always fun to deal with (I do have a roof box for camping trips and while it is super practical, it is not a lot of fun to load and unload).

All that being said, I think a mainstream minivan will be a better option in this particular case comfort-wise. Yes, it won't drive as well as the X7. Yes, it will have worse noise insulation. But in terms of space for 7 people it will definitely have an edge over X7.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2024, 12:11 PM   #28
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7, 2016 X3, 2021 MME

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharp View Post
The same here. My X7 is the only vehicle in my garage and we drive it every day. It takes us to campgrounds, vacation destinations and many other places. For my family of 4 it is absolutely perfect.

But the original question was about taking 7 people for a reasonably long trip. And this is where I think the X7 lacks. The 2nd and 3rd row passengers will be cramped space or legroom-wise. Cargo space will also be significantly constrained, so a roof box or a hitch cargo carrier will be required as well, which isn't always fun to deal with (I do have a roof box for camping trips and while it is super practical, it is not a lot of fun to load and unload).

All that being said, I think a mainstream minivan will be a better option in this particular case comfort-wise. Yes, it won't drive as well as the X7. Yes, it will have worse noise insulation. But in terms of space for 7 people it will definitely have an edge over X7.
Unless they are transporting NBA centers or NFL line backers, the 3rd row is plenty comfortable for average sized adults. I'm 5'10" 175lb and have no issues riding in the 3rd row (have to move the 2nd row forward a couple inches but still leaves plenty of space for folks in 2nd row).

The only issue with 7 is the cargo space (which there is only a very small amount behind the 3rd row). This can be solved with a roof cargo box or a hitch mount cargo rack.

I've done road trips with mini vans, suburbans etc with 7 people. Space for passengers is not too different, biggest difference is space for cargo with 7 passengers.

Comfort wise, my passengers prefer the X7 as they don't get motion sickness in the X7, but do get sick in mini vans or suburbans (rental).
Appreciate 3
      05-03-2024, 01:01 PM   #29
pjsfirstbimmer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X7 40i

Awesome insights!!! I am confused AF between X7 and rental but love the community here. Appreciate all the feedback.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2024, 02:25 PM   #30
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsfirstbimmer View Post
Awesome insights!!! I am confused AF between X7 and rental but love the community here. Appreciate all the feedback.
DO YOU LIKE WIND NOISE? NOT BEING ABLE TO HEAR YOUR SECOND ROW PASSENGERS? HAVING TO SHOUT LIKE THIS FOR A WEEK? IF SO, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO GET A RENTAL INSTEAD OF YOUR WHISPER-QUIET X7

(Sorry, just trying to illustrate part of the family hellscape you are considering)
Appreciate 1