Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeymen14 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
For those who are interested in the this technology I recommend you become acquainted with the legal concept; Spoliation of evidence.
Can you simplify this in laymen's terms please? I just read half of an article from the Florida bar and can't quite deduce if you're hinting that if the drive recorder failed you could pursue BMW for what I think is "spoliation of evidence" or if you were indicating that this would serve no purpose in some manner. Just interested in your reason behind the statement. Thank you.
The failure to preserve video evidence could result in you being found at fault in the event you're in an accident.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 1
Jcon157316.50
      08-17-2019, 12:50 AM   #24
FCBayernFTW
BMW Brand fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X4 M40i

Garage List
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2018 BMW X3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
It would be cool if it had superimposed driving data on it like Corvette does....
      08-17-2019, 03:50 AM   #25
Ghostriderf80
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Just a Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPichardo View Post
This is the best thing ever. No more need to install blackvue.
Its clean and OEM. There are way more sensors in the car and it records 360. Same you can achieve w 4 blackvues.

I was hoping that would be possible and finally it is.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 04:39 AM   #26
Ghostriderf80
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyBMW View Post
Hi jay. Always thanks for keeping us updated with the new stuff.

When you say "Select iDrive 7 Models", could you please specify which models/years are those? And how to get the App if it's not in our iDrive?

Thank you so much!
I hope it's in new m3 w motion detection
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 08:10 AM   #27
FCBayernFTW
BMW Brand fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X4 M40i

Garage List
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2018 BMW X3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
All these "enthusiasts" and I'm one of the only ones complaining about actual drive video (with driver information like a corvette) and not "who touched my car".
clee1982796.00
      08-17-2019, 09:00 AM   #28
J-RO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post
BlackVue is the best way to go.

I am about to install one in my M this weekend.

It's the modern day alarm system as far as I'm concerned.
Which model are you installing?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 09:05 AM   #29
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostriderf80 View Post
This is the best thing ever. No more need to install blackvue.
Its clean and OEM. There are way more sensors in the car and it records 360. Same you can achieve w 4 blackvues.

I was hoping that would be possible and finally it is.
I wouldn't get too excited just yet, at least not if you are currently accustomed to the level of functionality found in even the mid grade models from BlackVue, Thinkware or other well known dash cam manufactures. I definitely prefer the clean OEM integration over a "gadget" mounted on my front and rear windows. But other than the ability to record additional camera views (which is still very nice), in terms of overall dash cam functionality and capability, this system still seems to be lagging far behind current aftermarket functionality and capability - at least based on what was demonstrated in this video.

Despite the clean OEM integration, IMO in order for this system to beat out/replace much of the aftermarket dash cams it would need to have the following minimum functionality:

1) Minimum 1080p resolution, front/side/rear (to make out things like faces and license plate numbers reasonably clearly)

2) Parking Mode, with enough battery reserve to at least last parking 10-12 hrs (for when your car is parked at work, etc - could mean LiPo batteries may become more common in the BMW lineup)

3) For parking mode, some type of motion and/or impact detection sensor/trigger (for things like door dings, parking hit & run, etc)

4) Basic night mode capability to help night videos. Nothing really complicated (or expensive) like the OEM Night Vision system, but something that helps - just like what is found in aftermarket dash cam systems. The cameras that don't have this basic tech are essentially useless at night (when a lot of "mischief" can occur).

5) Storage capacity: 64 gb min, but preferably 128 gb (so a lot of data can be stored before being overwritten)

I currently have a BlackVue DR590W 2-Channel system with a BlackVue battery backup installed in my F80 and it has all of the above, and that system would be considered a "mid-grade" model now.

Another nice feature to have which should be theoretically possible given the current tech installed in all new BMWs is the ability to remotely monitor the cameras via ConnectedDrive or have a notification sent to your phone if there is a "trigger" event while your car is parked - features commonly found in higher end dash cam models.

This OEM dash cam integration is definitely a step in the right direction for BMW - I like it. I hope instead of trying to "re-invent the wheel" with this capability they take a note from the more experienced aftermarket dash cam manufactures like BlackVue and Thinkware when determining what type of functionality they will incorporate into this system in the (near) future. But like another poster already mentioned, I still would consider installing a single channel dash cam in combination with this system if this is all the functionality BMW has to offer (primarily to get parking mode functionality, which the BMW system does not have yet apparently).

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 2
paliknight2186.50
clee1982796.00
      08-17-2019, 09:30 AM   #30
///M TOWN
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-RO View Post
Quote:
BlackVue is the best way to go.

I am about to install one in my M this weekend.

It's the modern day alarm system as far as I'm concerned.
Which model are you installing?
DR900S-2CH
      08-17-2019, 09:41 AM   #31
760Lifan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 4xe Summit R & Trailhawk

Quote:
DR900S-2CH
I have the DR900S-1CH on my shopping list and am planning to have it hard-wired behind the rear view mirror and hook it up through WiFi.
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN13119.00
      08-17-2019, 10:09 AM   #32
Ghostriderf80
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
I wouldn't get too excited just yet, at least not if you are currently accustomed to the level of functionality found in even the mid grade models from BlackVue, Thinkware or other well known dash cam manufactures. I definitely prefer the clean OEM integration over a "gadget" mounted on my front and rear windows. But other than the ability to record additional camera views (which is still very nice), in terms of overall dash cam functionality and capability, this system still seems to be lagging far behind current aftermarket functionality and capability - at least based on what was demonstrated in this video.

Despite the clean OEM integration, IMO in order for this system to beat out/replace much of the aftermarket dash cams it would need to have the following minimum functionality:

1) Minimum 1080p resolution, front/side/rear (to make out things like faces and license plate numbers reasonably clearly)

2) Parking Mode, with enough battery reserve to at least last parking 10-12 hrs (for when your car is parked at work, etc - could mean LiPo batteries may become more common in the BMW lineup)

3) For parking mode, some type of motion and/or impact detection sensor/trigger (for things like door dings, parking hit & run, etc)

4) Basic night mode capability to help night videos. Nothing really complicated (or expensive) like the OEM Night Vision system, but something that helps - just like what is found in aftermarket dash cam systems. The cameras that don't have this basic tech are essentially useless at night (when a lot of "mischief" can occur).

5) Storage capacity: 64 gb min, but preferably 128 gb (so a lot of data can be stored before being overwritten)

I currently have a BlackVue DR590W 2-Channel system with a BlackVue battery backup installed in my F80 and it has all of the above, and that system would be considered a "mid-grade" model now.

Another nice feature to have which should be theoretically possible given the current tech installed in all new BMWs is the ability to remotely monitor the cameras via ConnectedDrive or have a notification sent to your phone if there is a "trigger" event while your car is parked - features commonly found in higher end dash cam models.

This OEM dash cam integration is definitely a step in the right direction for BMW - I like it. I hope instead of trying to "re-invent the wheel" with this capability they take a note from the more experienced aftermarket dash cam manufactures like BlackVue and Thinkware when determining what type of functionality they will incorporate into this system in the (near) future. But like another poster already mentioned, I still would consider installing a single channel dash cam in combination with this system if this is all the functionality BMW has to offer (primarily to get parking mode functionality, which the BMW system does not have yet apparently).
Blackvue is great. certainly saved me a bunch of times.
But this model gives you options. you can always code something for it, and once the main ability is there, its only a few more weeks.
Otherwise I will have another blackvue.

the bmw system could be good for track days.
\
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 10:29 AM   #33
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostriderf80 View Post
Blackvue is great. certainly saved me a bunch of times.
But this model gives you options. you can always code something for it, and once the main ability is there, its only a few more weeks.
Otherwise I will have another blackvue.

the bmw system could be good for track days.
\
I love the enthusiasm, but.... Other than having the quad view camera recording option, what other "options" does this system have that BlackVue and other similar aftermarket systems don't have (at least based on what was demonstrated in the video)? Don't get me wrong, I am not a BlackVue "fanboy" or anything. But the capabilities of BMW's Drive Recorder system still needs to mature a bit more IMHO.....

As far as coding goes to "turn on" additional functionality, time will tell. There is another coding thread in this forum where drive recorder is mentioned, but the potential for turning on more stuff looked very slim - but it is still very early in the iDrive 7 coding discovery phase as a whole...

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)

Last edited by jmciver; 08-17-2019 at 10:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 10:40 AM   #34
hockeymen14
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 m340i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeymen14 View Post
Quote:
For those who are interested in the this technology I recommend you become acquainted with the legal concept; Spoliation of evidence.
Can you simplify this in laymen's terms please? I just read half of an article from the Florida bar and can't quite deduce if you're hinting that if the drive recorder failed you could pursue BMW for what I think is "spoliation of evidence" or if you were indicating that this would serve no purpose in some manner. Just interested in your reason behind the statement. Thank you.
The failure to preserve video evidence could result in you being found at fault in the event you're in an accident.

My ignorance. I always assume the good in people. Unintended consequences. Thank you for the succinct explanation.
Appreciate 2
F32Fleet3539.50
RSnic657.50
      08-17-2019, 11:15 AM   #35
Brake_Late
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4 FIREORANGE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPichardo View Post
This is absolutely lit 🔥

Thanks OP
BMWPhotoVin, 01of01, GTS DCT, EPS, MDM,
CS EDC,Analog Dip ,GTS parts.
Euro Vin e30 M3, FIA cage / 14.7 p / w ratio.
Euro E30 touring G30 MSport i3s LBB X5M
3.2carrera

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClRTsfNzuz_EjUBu59UCykA
Appreciate 2
      08-17-2019, 04:34 PM   #36
WingZeroX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 / F30

Id still have a dash cam hardwired into the fuse box for redundancy. Knowing how often BMW electronics may fail, it would suck to find out that the footage you need is missing due to driver side camera malfunction
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 07:38 PM   #37
M 4EVER
Banned
Rep
Drives: M240/M5/X3

I have 19 X5 and I don't have this. Bought it early this year. I can't download new app. What do I need to do?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 09:50 AM   #38
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by M 4EVER View Post
I have 19 X5 and I don't have this. Bought it early this year. I can't download new app. What do I need to do?
You need to wait. BMW has not made any announcement on DR being available through the Connected Drive store for iDrive7 cars not factory equipped with the option.
      08-18-2019, 08:20 PM   #39
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
I am a bit confused. The whole interval setup, does that mean it's always recording but will only save once an event like an accident happens? If not, I do not see the benefit of it only starts recording after you get hit because the most critical part of an accident is being able to capture the actual accident itself.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 09:30 PM   #40
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post
I am a bit confused. The whole interval setup, does that mean it's always recording but will only save once an event like an accident happens? If not, I do not see the benefit of it only starts recording after you get hit because the most critical part of an accident is being able to capture the actual accident itself.
That is basically how it works. The camera system is essentially recording all of the time, keeping only 30 seconds of video in memory (or whatever interval you set in iDrive). Then if an accident trigger occurs, that 30 seconds in memory (which is technically 30 seconds in the past now) is combined with 30 more seconds to give you a full minute worth of video that is permanently saved - 30 seconds before the accident trigger and 30 seconds after the accident trigger.

This is how aftermarket dash cam systems record accident "events" so I am assuming this is how the BMW system works based on the video demonstration posted.

Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      08-18-2019, 10:35 PM   #41
jokinawa
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post
That is basically how it works. The camera system is essentially recording all of the time, keeping only 30 seconds of video in memory (or whatever interval you set in iDrive). Then if an accident trigger occurs, that 30 seconds in memory (which is technically 30 seconds in the past now) is combined with 30 more seconds to give you a full minute worth of video that is permanently saved - 30 seconds before the accident trigger and 30 seconds after the accident trigger.

This is how aftermarket dash cam systems record accident "events" so I am assuming this is how the BMW system works based on the video demonstration posted.
That is how I understand it. You can also trigger a 20 second recording when ever you want. I wish it would record constantly and flag events as locked and not overwrite until you asked it to. If I want to save something like a crash in front of me, I'd have to remember todo it within 20 seconds I've it occurring. I doubt that would happen because I'd be in shock or worrying about checking on the victims.
      08-19-2019, 02:34 AM   #42
Barrancos
Private First Class
Spain
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 30D

Very nice.
Not fair that my X3 delivered April 19 with Idrive 6 is already old and this feature can not be used. I have parking assistant plus so all hardware is ready.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 08:27 AM   #43
LittleJoe
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 EQS 580 SUV

Very cool feature.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 03:58 PM   #44
Fitzy4GC
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 428 Grand Coupe, 2016 X3,

Garage List
2015 BMW 428  [0.00]
2016 BMW X3  [0.00]
Thanks Jay, and thanks a lot BMW ...another subscription service? #nobodyelsechargesforapplecarplay. LOL
Appreciate 0