BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum X7 cracked CPO windshield

11-23-2023, 01:14 PM   #1
Jankyxenon
Registered
Rep
Drives: X7

X7 cracked CPO windshield

Bought a CPO X7 recently. Noticed before I drove it off the lot that there’s a 3 inch crack in the wiper area.

Dealer agreed to replace it (it’s a lease return, so they should have caught it in the inspection and made the previous driver pay $600).

I expected OEM replacement at dealership (they do glass), but I think they’re going through a 3party with non-OEM glass (Fuyao is OEM for this model, they’re using Pilkington).

Should I make a stink about this? Are there any warranty implications here?

FYI - My model has rain sensors, hud and 3d parking cams.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2023, 07:59 PM   #2
Saejin
Captain
Rep
Drives: None

So lucky you caught it before driving off the lot. Not sure how your dealer would have handled that…hit or miss.

I wouldn’t be concerned as long as it matched the specs of OEM glass.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2023, 10:35 PM   #3
Jankyxenon
Registered
Rep
Drives: X7

So I wouldn’t have been too fussed about the glass itself since it was Pilkington HUD approved - but they outsourced it to a small mobile operation that didn’t plan on doing the KAFAS calibration. (And they do glass at this particular dealership)

Since this is a CPO - isn’t it supposed be replaced with OEM and up to BMW standards?

I’m just getting a bit irked since they were supposed to catch this now they’re trying to do the bare minimum. They said they would kick in up to a certain amount and I would be on the hook for the rest for OEM.

Am I overreacting by insisting on an OEM replacement by them?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2023, 09:26 AM   #4
Orient330iNYC
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

BMW CPO guidelines say that it should be replaced with OEM.
only if the car had its windshield replaced before it was grounded (taken as trade or lease return) by the dealer is non OEM acceptable. non OEM used to be not acceptable period.
in your case, it should be replaced with OEM as its being done as part of the CPO process. i would politely insist, if that fails start going up the food chain and complain to bmwna.

what kind of glass shop are they using? hell, safelite can do the calibration, all it is is setting the kafas system to calibrate and driving. there's no targeting or any expertise needed, the system just needs to be put into calibrate mode and then drive it around.
Past: 2019 G01 M40i ZDA/2VF/ZPP/ZPX/688/3AC
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2023, 12:05 PM   #5
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankyxenon View Post
So I wouldn’t have been too fussed about the glass itself since it was Pilkington HUD approved - but they outsourced it to a small mobile operation that didn’t plan on doing the KAFAS calibration. (And they do glass at this particular dealership)

Since this is a CPO - isn’t it supposed be replaced with OEM and up to BMW standards?

I’m just getting a bit irked since they were supposed to catch this now they’re trying to do the bare minimum. They said they would kick in up to a certain amount and I would be on the hook for the rest for OEM.

Am I overreacting by insisting on an OEM replacement by them?
Many folks, including myself, have had problems with Pilkington regarding a fussy HUD. No need for you to take the chance that you will have the same, insist on OEM.