BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Screen Mirroring

09-13-2019, 12:04 PM   #1
Mmilani
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Screen Mirroring

So I used bimmercode and enabled video-in-motion and then used screen mirroring from my android to use Waze while driving. It works flawlessly. Thank you bimmercode.

The only issue I have is screen mirroring does not fill the entire screen. Only 2/3 of it. I was wondering if anyone knows of a way to play with android setting or the BMW setting so that screen mirroring fills more of the screen.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 04:48 PM   #2
FreddyBMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i iSTEP 07/2020.54

Nice. What phone do you have? Is it a Samsung that supports screen mirroring or will any phone would work? How was your phone connected to the Head unit, USB?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2019, 05:12 AM   #3
Mmilani
Enlisted Member
Rep

I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S10+ but any android phone with screen mirroring will work.

Screen mirroring does not need a wire connection. It uses wifi direct I think.
Appreciate 1
      09-14-2019, 02:32 PM   #4
FreddyBMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i iSTEP 07/2020.54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmilani View Post
The only issue I have is screen mirroring does not fill the entire screen. Only 2/3 of it. I was wondering if anyone knows of a way to play with android setting or the BMW setting so that screen mirroring fills more of the screen.
The problem I think lies where your phone does not know (or cannot support) the resolution of the Head Unit. So it adapts to one of its compatible resolutions and displays it.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2019, 07:18 PM   #5
dbjunction
Private
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model S P90D,BMW X5 M50i

Quote:
So I used bimmercode and enabled video-in-motion and then used screen mirroring from my android to use Waze while driving. It works flawlessly. Thank you bimmercode.

Little off topic but do you mind posting some instructions on how to do the screen mirroring? I use Waze daily but new to "bimmercode".
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 07:32 AM   #6
sliu070
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 F83 2019 G07

Quote:
I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S10+ but any android phone with screen mirroring will work.

Screen mirroring does not need a wire connection. It uses wifi direct I think.
My Huawei P30 Pro didn't work with screen mirroring. I think only phones with Miracast.
      10-15-2021, 03:51 AM   #7
Jacek_PL
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 40d, BMW X1, MB GLA AMG

Hi Folks.
Does anyone of you use screen mirroring with any of the new samsung phones - one with a big screen for the whole phone? I would like to ask if with this kind of phone it also "cuts off" the sides of the screen, or does the image appear on the whole (or almost whole) screen in the car?
I want to change my kids' phone, maybe it's worth buying one like this...?
And another question - do any of You have experience with screen mirroring from an android tablet? Does it work well?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2021, 11:54 AM   #8
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7, 2016 X3, 2021 MME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacek_PL View Post
Hi Folks.
Does anyone of you use screen mirroring with any of the new samsung phones - one with a big screen for the whole phone? I would like to ask if with this kind of phone it also "cuts off" the sides of the screen, or does the image appear on the whole (or almost whole) screen in the car?
I want to change my kids' phone, maybe it's worth buying one like this...?
And another question - do any of You have experience with screen mirroring from an android tablet? Does it work well?
I mirror from my S20 Ultra sometimes. It does not fill the whole screen. about 1/2 inch to an inch is cut off on the sides.

I tested from a Samsung tab s7 and it works the same way.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2021, 12:16 PM   #9
rich5741
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 xDrive40i

I see my whole screen, but since my phone screen is a different aspect ratio than the BMW screen, it does letterbox it. Sort of like if you watch an old 4:3 TV show on your 16:9 TV, it will have the black bars on the side.

Using Galaxy S20
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 08:22 PM   #10
NLRMS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW XB7 Alpina

Hey guys,

Has anyone been able to screen mirror from a Google Pixel phone? Spent so many hours trying and can't seem to make it work. Installed a bunch of Miracast apps and none of them find my car to screen mirror.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2022, 11:03 PM   #11
sunglyong2
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Screen mirrored screen size is actually smaller than my phone (z fold 3).
It is useless to me.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2022, 11:42 PM   #12
TheBiggerMan
Rep
Drives: MY22 X7 M50i, MY17 RR Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLRMS View Post
Hey guys,

Has anyone been able to screen mirror from a Google Pixel phone? Spent so many hours trying and can't seem to make it work. Installed a bunch of Miracast apps and none of them find my car to screen mirror.
Unfortunately Miracast is disabled on all Google Pixels at a kernel level. You would need to root your phone to re-enable it. I can confirm from personal experience that this issue exists on both my 4 XL and 6 Pro. Love my Pixels, but the lack of Miracast is annoying!

An example thread on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel...able_miracast/
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2022, 12:09 AM   #13
NLRMS
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBiggerMan View Post
Unfortunately Miracast is disabled on all Google Pixels at a kernel level. You would need to root your phone to re-enable it. I can confirm from personal experience that this issue exists on both my 4 XL and 6 Pro. Love my Pixels, but the lack of Miracast is annoying!

An example thread on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel...able_miracast/
Too bad. I have 3 different Pixel phones including the Pixel 6 Pro. I guess no screen mirroring for me then. Only needed it to play movies from my phone to my Rear Entertainment System so the kids can stream movies during long trips. Will stick to using a flash drive then. Or maybe get a different brand phone dedicated for streaming movies and that might solve my issue. Thank you for the info.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2022, 12:11 AM   #14
NLRMS
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunglyong2 View Post
Screen mirrored screen size is actually smaller than my phone (z fold 3).
It is useless to me.
Not sure if the screen size is smaller if streaming to the Rear Entertainment System. I was never interested in just mirroring to the driver display.
Appreciate 0