BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Debating X7 M50i / XB7 / GLS63

01-10-2021, 10:28 AM   #111
Savoy2001
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC, 19 330I, 19 z06 vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasJester View Post
lets really put this discussion in total perspective. the OP title is debating X7 M50i/XB7/GLS63. anyone putting their 2 cents in this thread, being someone that is considering one of these 3 vehicles or should at very least have put their ass in the seat of the 3 said vehicles to start with. next, we can drop the notion that anyone spending over 100k on a vehicle is not in search of the one that is most economical or in ANY way actually worth the price paid. this thread is comparing 3 of the coolest 3 row hot rod vehicles on the planet. like it or not, what exactly could anyone that hasnt driven all 3 possibly tell us? its my opinion anyone considering dropping this kind of money shouldnt settle. i traded my 2019 GLS63 in and put 30k miles on my M50i while waiting for the new GLS63 to get here. i knew my M50i extremely well and in one extremely short test drive of the XB7 i knew my M50i was being traded immediately. and the first GLS63 that hit Texas with my name on it was decided against immediately as well. anyone looking to get the most car for the least money should probably be discussing a Kia Telluride but thats not what this post is about. also, if your hung up on the exterior or interior not being different enough or it dont fit your taste i can tell you there aint enough difference in the visual either inside or outside that would make me trade my M50i. it has everything to do with how its suspension, power band, the trans tune and last but certainly not least i dont miss for a single second not having to turn off the BS start /stop crap! anyone that has not been in the drivers seat of a XB7 cant possibly understand. YES, there is that much difference.

So like I said if your money Spend how you will. I didn’t say it wasn’t a nice car. It is. Just that to me personally going by looks alone I prefer the look of my mineral white m50i with all black accenting. To me. I also did say the only thing I would really like is the larger turbos and the engine making more power. I also said to again to me that more powerful engine and better tuned trans/suspension isn’t worth 30k to me. Period. My car was expensive. It was a 115k msrp vehicle. 145 or 150 could I have done it I wanted too? Sure but I don’t like the car enough or see the value in that extra money. So. I. Did. Not.

As far as value for the dollar is concerned I still say that $30,000 in my opinion does not get you enough extra vehicle for the money. That’s not to say that $115,000 is cheap because it’s not. What to make a blanket statement say well if you’re looking for value for the dollar we should be comparing Kias is ridiculous. Quite frankly in the grand scheme of things in this luxurious high-end SUV marketplace 115,000 when you look at all of the little things and luxurious items and features you get in the X7 and 50 I actually pound for pound is a good value. I’ll be at a still very expensive vehicle but in the grand scheme of those types of vehicles a good value. You do not yet that same value when you move to the XB7. Sorry but you don’t.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 06:52 AM   #112
LittleJoe
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 EQS 580 SUV

My two cents: if you want a M50i, XB7 or GLS63, buy it and don't care what anyone else thinks. It's your money, buy what you want. No need to convince others who bought a different SUV that your SUV is better. Enjoy your purchase - live and let live.
Appreciate 1
jmciver1839.50
      01-11-2021, 12:24 PM   #113
jsmonet
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 x7 m50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoy2001 View Post

As far as value for the dollar is concerned I still say that $30,000 in my opinion does not get you enough extra vehicle for the money.
This is definitely valid. The counterpoint to this is that these purchases tend to be more emotional than value-based and we wander dangerously into the territory of "the most expensive tripod" wherein you purchase a less expensive tripod only to realize it doesn't fulfill your functional requirements, and spend incrementally more until you finally buy the one you should have started with.

In this case, being a more emotional purchase, if you're going to ultimately want the xb7 or gls63, it's somewhat silly to buy an m50i or gls580 and stew until you simply trade it for what you really wanted.

The value you assign to the seemingly minor differences is arbitrary, but that doesn't make it less real.

That power difference is legit, btw. It's easy enough to tune or 'chip' your m50i up there, but that ignores the rest of the differences.

Now if I could get the code for comfort+ on my m50i....
      01-11-2021, 04:42 PM   #114
TexasJester
Private
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

Quote:
So like I said if your money Spend how you will. I didn’t say it wasn’t a nice car. It is. Just that to me personally going by looks alone I prefer the look of my mineral white m50i with all black accenting. To me. I also did say the only thing I would really like is the larger turbos and the engine making more power. I also said to again to me that more powerful engine and better tuned trans/suspension isn’t worth 30k to me. Period. My car was expensive. It was a 115k msrp vehicle. 145 or 150 could I have done it I wanted too? Sure but I don’t like the car enough or see the value in that extra money. So. I. Did. Not.

As far as value for the dollar is concerned I still say that $30,000 in my opinion does not get you enough extra vehicle for the money. That’s not to say that $115,000 is cheap because it’s not. What to make a blanket statement say well if you’re looking for value for the dollar we should be comparing Kias is ridiculous. Quite frankly in the grand scheme of things in this luxurious high-end SUV marketplace 115,000 when you look at all of the little things and luxurious items and features you get in the X7 and 50 I actually pound for pound is a good value. I’ll be at a still very expensive vehicle but in the grand scheme of those types of vehicles a good value. You do not yet that same value when you move to the XB7. Sorry but you don’t.
Sir this thread is not for you. Again, the OP is wanting comparisons of the M50i/XB7/GLS63! We get that your completely happy with your M50i, I was too until I drove the XB7 and the new GLS63. your happy with your M50i and I’m happy for you but that would fall under a totally different subject than what we are discussing here. Since you don’t have any seat time in the XB7 or the GLS63 please inform us what your happiness level has to do with this comparison? What if the guy took your advice and dropped 100k plus and then rode in his friends XB7 or GLS63 and wished he would NOT have settled?

Last edited by TexasJester; 01-11-2021 at 04:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 06:32 AM   #115
Savoy2001
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC, 19 330I, 19 z06 vert

Quote:
Sir this thread is not for you. Again, the OP is wanting comparisons of the M50i/XB7/GLS63! We get that your completely happy with your M50i, I was too until I drove the XB7 and the new GLS63. your happy with your M50i and I’m happy for you but that would fall under a totally different subject than what we are discussing here. Since you don’t have any seat time in the XB7 or the GLS63 please inform us what your happiness level has to do with this comparison? What if the guy took your advice and dropped 100k plus and then rode in his friends XB7 or GLS63 and wished he would NOT have settled?
This thread isn’t for me ok bud. Well it’s my opinion that you simply don’t get enough for the money. I didn’t say it wasn’t nice and I didn’t say the op shouldn’t get it. I’ve been driving cars all types my entire adult life I know when a halo product is a halo product and priced as such just because they can. This is the case with the xb7. Period. That’s my opinion and this is a forum by which to discuss feelings and opinions and experiences. Take that for what you will. I don’t realize that if I didn’t have the saved opinion as you that I wasn’t welcome here.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 07:05 AM   #116
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Why can’t everyone have their own opinions on this car?? It checked all the boxes for those that bought it and didn’t for those that passed on it. The reality is the “ALPINA” name is not that big of a deal to many but some find it exclusive. Feeling it out on this and other forums, there are many that wouldn’t have checked the ALPINA option regardless of price. They just don’t like the styling.
It’s no big deal. Different strokes keeps the forum interesting and informed. This forum is a great source of knowledge and experience and having active XB7 owners only adds to this knowledge base. Everyone doesn’t have to personally like every model across the line.

Last edited by MystroX5; 01-13-2021 at 07:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 07:57 AM   #117
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Drive all three on the same day. Make an event out of it. The differences between the vehicles will be self-evident and you will be able to make a better decision. I recently had a similar decision to make and my wife said go with the M50i and save the difference for another fun weekend toy. After driving both back to back I felt that was the best advice and suggestion. Perhaps you may feel the same.
Appreciate 2
stein_325i25086.00
LittleJoe1064.00
      01-13-2021, 02:28 PM   #118
Wanderer73
Major
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
Drive all three on the same day. Make an event out of it. The differences between the vehicles will be self-evident and you will be able to make a better decision. I recently had a similar decision to make and my wife said go with the M50i and save the difference for another fun weekend toy. After driving both back to back I felt that was the best advice and suggestion. Perhaps you may feel the same.
Yes, great advice. I chose the M50i but have had the opportunity to spend some time with the XB7. It didn't change my decision; I don't care for the styling; however, I've got a relative with an X7 50i non-msport who loves the styling and sees value in the delta between the XB7 and M50i. It's fantastic to have so many options across the X7 40, 50, and Alpina models. Something for everyone, and they're all damn nice rigs!
Appreciate 3
LittleJoe1064.00
MystroX56292.50
iconoclast7265.50
      01-13-2021, 05:02 PM   #119
TexasJester
Private
Rep

Quote:
This thread isn’t for me ok bud. Well it’s my opinion that you simply don’t get enough for the money. I didn’t say it wasn’t nice and I didn’t say the op shouldn’t get it. I’ve been driving cars all types my entire adult life I know when a halo product is a halo product and priced as such just because they can. This is the case with the xb7. Period. That’s my opinion and this is a forum by which to discuss feelings and opinions and experiences. Take that for what you will. I don’t realize that if I didn’t have the saved opinion as you that I wasn’t welcome here.
Sir all I’m saying and you don’t seem to understand is this guy was hoping to get a comparison from people that have actually driven the said vehicles. Taking buying advice from people that haven’t driven the vehicles would compare to taking sex advice from a virgin.
Appreciate 1
LittleJoe1064.00
      01-13-2021, 10:57 PM   #120
Saejin
Captain
Rep
Drives: None

OP already made his decision and posted in another thread he created. He went with the XB7 and got his wife the GLS63. Surprised he didn’t start another thread asking for opinions about the Maybach GLS. Maybe he did on a MB forum. Anyway happy for the guy.

I was having a similar conversation on the rennlist Porsche forum. Was asking and researching opinions between the new Cayman GTS and Cayman GT4. Wife ultimately decided and we got an BMW X7, funny how that works...but I got to pick the motor...M50i of course. XB7 wasn’t for me in the looks department and price.

Looking forward to seeing what or if BMW will come out with an X8M. Probably won’t make our bucket list as I’m still eyeing the GT4 down the road...probably CPO as my pockets are not that deep yet.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 07:24 PM   #121
TexasJester
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saejin View Post
OP already made his decision and posted in another thread he created. He went with the XB7 and got his wife the GLS63. Surprised he didn’t start another thread asking for opinions about the Maybach GLS. Maybe he did on a MB forum. Anyway happy for the guy.

I was having a similar conversation on the rennlist Porsche forum. Was asking and researching opinions between the new Cayman GTS and Cayman GT4. Wife ultimately decided and we got an BMW X7, funny how that works...but I got to pick the motor...M50i of course. XB7 wasn’t for me in the looks department and price.

Looking forward to seeing what or if BMW will come out with an X8M. Probably won’t make our bucket list as I’m still eyeing the GT4 down the road...probably CPO as my pockets are not that deep yet.
What is the title of his new post I haven’t seen it? Now that Maybach GLS certainly is on the big end of pricey, I think I better not drive that one. I was with you on the exterior of the XB7. But not one time has it bothered me while in the drivers seat and in white it don’t jump out there at you like the dark colors.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 09:11 PM   #122
Saejin
Captain
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
What is the title of his new post I haven’t seen it? Now that Maybach GLS certainly is on the big end of pricey, I think I better not drive that one. I was with you on the exterior of the XB7. But not one time has it bothered me while in the drivers seat and in white it don’t jump out there at you like the dark colors.
Her you go...page 4 he says he got it...now not sure if that means he ordered it or actually has one. He hasn't posted since on this site.

https://g07.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1767291&page=4
Appreciate 0