E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Buckled wheel repair?

03-30-2014, 02:28 PM   #1
mistryn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D

Buckled wheel repair?

Has anyone had their buckled wheel repaired or is it not worth it?

not talking about a wheel buckle that is bent as a banana but one that is very slighlty buckled when driving along at certain speeds can feel a judder/vibration come through the car/steering wheel, mainly 40/50mph. (i have had it balanced 3 times at 3 different garages who have said the wheel is slightly buckled)

If so can anyone reccomend wheel places near the west mids area and what sort of rough costs it involves?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 02:49 PM   #2
Billyray911
Brigadier General
Venezuela
Rep
Drives: Blah

I can recommend a place in Staffordshire.He refurbs wheels for lots of main dealers and did one for me.He also does work for Lap Tab.Speedys on the A34 Walsall road also say that they repair buckles-don't know if this is in house though...
http://www.speedyswheels.co.uk/alloy.../refurbishment
However,I would say that the wheel has to be a good base to start with ie a decent wheel.
I had a buckled front o/s aftermarket wheel.I had already had doubts about these wheels having had a crack in another.I honestly don't know how the buckle was caused and I just think that the alloys themselves were a bit crap.
After straightening,you could hardly tell that is was buckled when it was being balanced.However,the vibration was really noticeable and used to get on my nerves-went right up my right leg!
So what I'm saying is,if it a decent/expensive alloy,give it a try-I paid about £40.If not,buy a new one.
Hope that helps!?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 03:17 PM   #3
mistryn
Colonel
Rep

thanks for your link Billy, may give them a try. its an OEM alloy wheel (star 189 style) which i think has been buckled when the run flats were on their. i swapped them over to normal tyres couple years ago and the gy did mention the wheel is slighlty buckled but I didnt have any issues

Few weeks ago I had to swap over one of the tyres on the front os and since then the vibration around the 40mph mark is really bad. I have a feeling that tyre is deformed but cannot be certain so I plan to change tyres again (as I have a sparetyre in the garage) and see if that helps, if not I will try the above company (as trying to find a 189 alloy replacement is difficult)
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 04:18 PM   #4
dj219957
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2009 e90, cic idrive pro

jp alloys cannock. did my wheels very professional, works with main dealers. well priced.

http://www.jpalloys.co.uk/
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 04:25 PM   #5
Billyray911
Brigadier General
Venezuela
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistryn View Post
thanks for your link Billy, may give them a try. its an OEM alloy wheel (star 189 style) which i think has been buckled when the run flats were on their. i swapped them over to normal tyres couple years ago and the gy did mention the wheel is slighlty buckled but I didnt have any issues

Few weeks ago I had to swap over one of the tyres on the front os and since then the vibration around the 40mph mark is really bad. I have a feeling that tyre is deformed but cannot be certain so I plan to change tyres again (as I have a sparetyre in the garage) and see if that helps, if not I will try the above company (as trying to find a 189 alloy replacement is difficult)
No worries.If it is the wheel that's buckled and you get it repaired and it's a decent job,let me know who you got to do it in the end.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 04:26 PM   #6
Billyray911
Brigadier General
Venezuela
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj219957 View Post
jp alloys cannock. did my wheels very professional, works with main dealers. well priced.

http://www.jpalloys.co.uk/
And funnily enough,that was the first company that I was going to recommend!Quick turnaround too...
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 04:41 PM   #7
mistryn
Colonel
Rep

Many thanks, will keep this thread updated
Appreciate 0