BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Check engine light...anyone?

03-10-2023, 10:56 AM   #1
AirLaird
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7

Check engine light...anyone?

Hmmm....so my 2023 with 3500 miles just popped a check engine light. WT hell? Has anyone had this yet?
airlaird
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2023, 11:57 AM   #2
BMW or Benz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirLaird View Post
Hmmm....so my 2023 with 3500 miles just popped a check engine light. WT hell? Has anyone had this yet?
airlaird
bro my engine light has been on for a month
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2023, 02:30 PM   #3
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

CEL is one of the most misunderstood warning lights.

The check engine light illuminates when there is a fault created by a sensor connected to the vehicles emissions. It could be fuel, air, or ignition related...and came about from the federal OBD II mandate of 1996 (for the US market).

If you have an old generic OBD II reader...you can connect to your OBD II port to get the 5 digit generic DTC (diagnostic trouble code). Or if you live in any state other than California or Hawaii...most car shops like Autozone, O'Reilly's, Advanced Auto, Pep Boys, etc...will read the codes for free.

It could be something as simple as not screwing your gas cap back on properly or a misfired spark plug, or your air shutter is stuck (not allowing the proper amount of air into the system.

It usually DOES NOT mean that your engine is about to blow!

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 2
EvanX10.50
alic9613.50
      03-10-2023, 02:40 PM   #4
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

CEL is one of the most misunderstood warning lights.

The check engine light illuminates when there is a fault created by a sensor connected to the vehicles emissions. It could be fuel, air, or ignition related...and came about from the federal OBD II mandate of 1996 (for the US market).

If the CEL is flashing...then do tend to the issue as soon as possible.

If you have an old generic OBD II reader (or a newer updated scanner)...you can connect to your OBD II port to get the 5 digit generic DTC (diagnostic trouble code)...or the 6 digit hex BMW code (if you have a better tool). Or if you live in any state other than California or Hawaii...most car shops like Autozone, O'Reilly's, Advanced Auto, Pep Boys, etc...will read the codes for free.

It could be something as simple as not screwing your gas cap back on properly or a misfired spark plug, or your air shutter is stuck (not allowing the proper amount of air into the system.

It usually DOES NOT mean that your engine is about to blow!
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 1
Vivek.1367.50
      03-10-2023, 03:37 PM   #5
Bashar368
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 green

Mine is on again for the 4th time

1st no explanation
2nd time they said it was a loose gas cap
3rd they said I topped off the gas and charcoal filter was full of fuel which is complete BS and wanted to charge me to fix the problem. Ended up keeping the car for 3 weeks fixed it under warranty

And this is the 4th time this mornjng. I picked up the car 2 days ago. This 2023 is total garbage stay away everyone
Attached Images

EvanX10.50
Vivek.1367.50
alic9613.50
      03-13-2023, 11:15 AM   #6
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

What is/are the OBD II fault code(s)? Without them...there's nothing we can do to help.

Do you have a generic OBD II reader/scanner that can retrieve the generic 5 digit DTC (diagnostic trouble codes)...or another (upgrade) scanner that may have its own OBD II code table? If not...do you have any app (like Bimmerlink) that can retrieve the OBD II fault code(s)?

Appreciate 0
      03-13-2023, 12:16 PM   #7
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
What is/are the OBD II fault code(s)? Without them...there's nothing we can do to help.

Do you have a generic OBD II reader/scanner that can retrieve the generic 5 digit DTC (diagnostic trouble codes)...or another (upgrade) scanner that may have its own OBD II code table? If not...do you have any app (like Bimmerlink) that can retrieve the OBD II fault code(s)?
Keep in mind that the CEL on modern cars can also trip for manufacture specific codes as well as the required emissions codes. So his issue could be BMW/X7 specific. That said, without some type of code reader, preferably one that can also read BMW specific codes, it will be impossible to know what is going on…

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2023, 12:40 PM   #8
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X7;X5;S-Class;Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashar368 View Post
Mine is on again for the 4th time

1st no explanation
2nd time they said it was a loose gas cap
3rd they said I topped off the gas and charcoal filter was full of fuel which is complete BS and wanted to charge me to fix the problem. Ended up keeping the car for 3 weeks fixed it under warranty

And this is the 4th time this mornjng. I picked up the car 2 days ago. This 2023 is total garbage stay away everyone
Well, I don't think many owners have the same courage (or maybe mental strength?) that you have to admit the same thing; So, thanks you for sharing your personal honest opinion Although, I personally would not go all the way to say is is a complete garbage, but I certainly would want to stay away. Data speaks for itself, and for those who have access to data, they'd tell you the amount of glitches/faults/dealer visits for the LCI far exceeds the launch of any other bmw vehicle nowadays and certainly sets around the peak for historical launches.

I just wonder what's going to happen when the majority of these cars start to hit the 15-25K miles too? Most issues seem to start popping after thousands of miles rather than 10s of 100s so I feel things keep getting worse than just being (as-is-error) from factory at day-1. BMW vehicles used to be a disaster early in the days cause of it's poor electric system design at some point in the past for some generations... I feel history is repeating itself now? Hardware design issues are usually easier to diagnose (just a swap once identified) than a vehicle electric system that is a complete mess. In all cases, I hope things get better. The launch of the new X5/X6 LCI soon should tell us a lot about any potential for wide BMW design issues if it continues that way, or if it's an X7 isolated issue. 7-series forums look like so quite without many reported issues (despite the small sample of owners on forums for 7-series).

Last edited by BMW5and7; 03-13-2023 at 12:48 PM..
Appreciate 1
EvanX10.50
      03-13-2023, 02:01 PM   #9
gsobol
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW5and7 View Post
I just wonder what's going to happen when the majority of these cars start to hit the 15-25K miles too? Most issues seem to start popping after thousands of miles rather than 10s of 100s so I feel things keep getting worse than just being (as-is-error) from factory at day-1. BMW vehicles used to be a disaster early in the days cause of it's poor electric system design at some point in the past for some generations... I feel history is repeating itself now? Hardware design issues are usually easier to diagnose (just a swap once identified) than a vehicle electric system that is a complete mess. In all cases, I hope things get better. The launch of the new X5/X6 LCI soon should tell us a lot about any potential for wide BMW design issues if it continues that way, or if it's an X7 isolated issue. 7-series forums look like so quite without many reported issues (despite the small sample of owners on forums for 7-series).
What do you mean? You don't like Lucas designed electrical system of the modern BMW?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-14-2023, 04:51 PM   #10
Saejin
Captain
Rep
Drives: None

Here we go again. Like every single person in the world who bought an X7 LCI is here and we have the raw data to support many of the claims being made here.

Yes, some X7s are probably lemons or have some significant issues that need to be fixed. It doesn’t mean nor have I seen any data to show that the entire LCI production of the X7 is crap, or exceeds issues experienced by other BMW vehicles that have been launched. If the data suggests otherwise, please post it up.

Like I said this is turning into more of an entertainment venue than anything else due to lack of hard data around some of the claims being made. I’m open to peoples opinions and think they should be shared, but some opinions are making some far fetch assumptions.

Personally I’ve had the drivetrain error pop up and it went away at 5000 miles IIRC. The dealer updated all the software when they checked it out. Haven’t had the error pop up again. Now I’m dealing with an accident where I was rear ended. I’m at 8200 miles all driven in the past 4 months, cross country drive from CO to MD, and about to head off to TX this weekend.

Other than the drivetrain errors, zero issues with my LCI. Many others here post up the same experience, but we’re not the most active voice since we are not experiencing any issues.
Appreciate 3
      03-15-2023, 03:31 PM   #11
Vivek.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335is coupe, e30 vert

Quote:
If you have an old generic OBD II reader...you can connect to your OBD II port to get the 5 digit generic DTC (diagnostic trouble code). Or if you live in any state other than California or Hawaii...most car shops like Autozone, O'Reilly's, Advanced Auto, Pep Boys, etc...will read the codes for free.
These retailers will read codes for free in California--where did you got the impression that they do not?
2013 335is Mineral/Coral - DR 6466 - DR Mani - PI - Motiv FF - Dodson Clutches - OEM CF Roof - M3 GTS DCT/LSD/DS/Halfshafts/Suspension/Subframe/Brakes/Chassis Bracing F+R - DEFIV Diff Brace - 437M/R888R
2015 X5 35D - 1990 535i [RIP] - 1992 318i Convertible - 2002 540i/6
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2023, 07:10 PM   #12
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek. View Post
These retailers will read codes for free in California--where did you got the impression that they do not?
Wow…you can get OBD II codes read for free in Californian now from auto parts stores? When did they start allowing this?

I don’t live there and was only going on the decades of threads where California banned free code reading/scanning if a shop wasn’t a licensed repair shop. My apologies if things have changed.

If you go back to threads from the 2000s…forum members from California always complained about this. You could always purchase your own OBD II reader…but they used to quash unqualified shops from doing free ones .

Here’s a link to some old threads (from 2010) that discussed this California ban:

Appreciate 1
Vivek.1367.50
      03-19-2023, 11:39 PM   #13
robkassab
Rob
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X7 xDrive40i

A friend of mine has a 2022 X7 and had the check engine light come on. The dealer found that there was a loose connection at the fuse panel behind the glove box. Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2023, 02:46 PM   #14
e36ric
Registered
Rep
Drives: 1995 e36 318ic, 2024 X7 M60i

I recently picked up my 2024 X7 M60i. By the time i had 50 miles in (about2-3days later) the check engine light came on. They tried to tell me it was the gas cap. It wasnt. They said there was no way to see the codes with the light off.
OK, no biggie.

A few days later light came back on. I drove it to the dealer once they opened and it was a sensor. took 4 days from the date i dropped it off until it was ready for pickup. I thought ok, great, problem solved.

2 days later, light came back on. At this point not sure i want this car anymore. Sales person was shocked to see me there when i went and said they would buy me out if it continued to happen.

I think that's what ill be doing today when I go drop it off.

Overall, i understand its all sensors and computers, but I've only had the car since July 1st. this should be an issue.
Appreciate 1
      07-17-2023, 04:33 PM   #15
streborx
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X7 M50i

I strongly urge everyone to acquire an OBDII scanner and to not rely on dealerships for initial diagnostic assistance. You might end up at the dealership anyway to remedy the problem, but being able to tell the service manager the diagnostic code(s) and the circumstances when the CEL illuminated will go a long way toward getting the problem resolved. If it turns out to be something like a loose gas cap, you can save yourself time and $$ doing the reset yourself.

I have a Topdon ArtiDiag600 OBDII scanner (https://www.topdon.us/collections/mi...service-resets). It can read and reset codes, covers 42 domestic, euro and asian car brands, and won't break the bank at $250. Free firmware updates for life, connects directly to wifi and emails you a diagnostic report (that you can hand the service manager).

I haven't used it on my X7 (except to check all systems OK), but a couple months ago when my MB G550's battery died, I was able to reset the instrument panel light show after replacing the battery.

Leaving my car at a dealership and being told a week later "no trouble found" just doesn't work for me.
Appreciate 1
jcss812124.00
      07-18-2023, 05:53 AM   #16
lloyd99
lloyd99
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i

Garage List
2021 X7 M50i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by streborx View Post
I strongly urge everyone to acquire an OBDII scanner and to not rely on dealerships for initial diagnostic assistance. You might end up at the dealership anyway to remedy the problem, but being able to tell the service manager the diagnostic code(s) and the circumstances when the CEL illuminated will go a long way toward getting the problem resolved. If it turns out to be something like a loose gas cap, you can save yourself time and $$ doing the reset yourself.

I have a Topdon ArtiDiag600 OBDII scanner (https://www.topdon.us/collections/mi...service-resets). It can read and reset codes, covers 42 domestic, euro and asian car brands, and won't break the bank at $250. Free firmware updates for life, connects directly to wifi and emails you a diagnostic report (that you can hand the service manager).

I haven't used it on my X7 (except to check all systems OK), but a couple months ago when my MB G550's battery died, I was able to reset the instrument panel light show after replacing the battery.

Leaving my car at a dealership and being told a week later "no trouble found" just doesn't work for me.
A friend of mine who is a long-time auto mechanic recommended I get the Carly OBD2 for a scanner. Here is a link Any thoughts or experiences?
https://www.mycarly.com/lp-shopping-en/
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2023, 07:25 AM   #17
streborx
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloyd99 View Post
A friend of mine who is a long-time auto mechanic recommended I get the Carly OBD2 for a scanner. Here is a link Any thoughts or experiences?
https://www.mycarly.com/lp-shopping-en/
When I was researching brands, models and capabilities, Carly was a subscription scanner that charges an annual fee. My needs don't justify paying every year, so I opted for a scanner with a one time purchase price.

One additional advantage to the Topdon scanner I mentioned in my post above is that it connects directly to wifi for updates. I've heard complaints from some that having to connect a scanner to a Windows PC for updating is inconvenient if you're an Apple user.

There are many scanners with extensive capabilities, and the hardest part is sorting them all out, and buying what meets your intended use. There are many websites that review and rate "the best OBD scanners", but the lists and rankings never have consistent ratings. They're all made in China, and many brands use the same hardware box with very similar software. But any scanner that can read codes and do resets is better than nothing.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2023, 08:45 AM   #18
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Do a search for Bimmerlink....it's a diagnostic app that you can use with an OBD II dongle. It is IOS and Android compatible. You can check out their website...as well as check out videos on Youtube to see how the app can be utilized. It is the sister app to Bimmercode.

Bimmerlink website: https://bimmerlink.app/

Appreciate 0
      07-18-2023, 08:49 AM   #19
Orient330iNYC
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Do a search for Bimmerlink....it's a diagnostic app that you can use with an OBD II dongle. It is IOS and Android compatible. You can check out their website...as well as check out videos on Youtube to see how the app can be utilized. It is the sister app to Bimmercode.

Bimmerlink website: https://bimmerlink.app/
it doesnt work with the LCI
Past: 2019 G01 M40i ZDA/2VF/ZPP/ZPX/688/3AC
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2023, 09:00 AM   #20
streborx
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orient330iNYC View Post
it doesnt work with the LCI
Bimmercode does not work with the LCI / iDrive8, but is this true of Bimmerlink also? I thought Bimmerlink was simply a BMW specific OBDII reader that should work like any other OBDII reader.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2023, 10:11 AM   #21
Orient330iNYC
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by streborx View Post
Bimmercode does not work with the LCI / iDrive8, but is this true of Bimmerlink also? I thought Bimmerlink was simply a BMW specific OBDII reader that should work like any other OBDII reader.
last time i checked it does not, this was about two months ago. i believe its not using the generic obdII interface, i suspect bimmer link uses the same ethernet- tcp/ip interface that bimmercode uses, same as ISTA and esys.
i can read and reset codes fine on my lci with an obdII app, view emissions readiness, etc, but i cant connect with bimmercode or bimmerlink. i havent tried ISTA yet. i've tried both an obdlink mx and an ethernet cable for bimmerlink and bimmercode, it cant connect.
obdlink mx works via the standard obd2 protocols with its included app.
Past: 2019 G01 M40i ZDA/2VF/ZPP/ZPX/688/3AC
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2023, 10:40 AM   #22
streborx
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orient330iNYC View Post
last time i checked it does not, this was about two months ago. i believe its not using the generic obdII interface, i suspect bimmer link uses the same ethernet- tcp/ip interface that bimmercode uses, same as ISTA and esys.
i can read and reset codes fine on my lci with an obdII app, view emissions readiness, etc, but i cant connect with bimmercode or bimmerlink. i havent tried ISTA yet. i've tried both an obdlink mx and an ethernet cable for bimmerlink and bimmercode, it cant connect.
obdlink mx works via the standard obd2 protocols with its included app.
That's great information to have. I haven't needed Bimmerlink inasmuch as I have the Topdon OBDII scanner. When I used Bimmercode to disable the Auto Start/Stop, I found I could not connect with the OBDLink SX cable connected to my Android phone (it has OTG capability on its USB), but I connected easily with the OBDLink CX Bluetooth dongle (I didn't even need to pair the device as it connected automatically with the short range protocol).

I remain cautious about coding, especially using a wireless interface. There's a guru on one of the MB forums that offers a coding solution for Benz's, and he is adamant about using only cabled OBDII connections. While there are error detection schemes in the comms protocol, and the likelihood of bricking a car remains low, I tend to be exceptionally risk averse.
Appreciate 0