BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-30-2019, 12:27 PM   #1
jimmyjohn
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Dashcam - wiring to rear window / hatch?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I’ve gotten the front / rear dashcam wired up really nicely. The last gap, is to roll the wiring for the rear through the hinge on the back door. There are two Allen bolts that take off the plastic cover. Then there’s another plastic holder that holds the wires to the rear hatch. I cannot figure out a way to open up that little cover. Has anyone had any luck?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2019, 03:42 PM   #2
Mike72uk
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (G01) M40i (MY20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjohn View Post
I’ve gotten the front / rear dashcam wired up really nicely. The last gap, is to roll the wiring for the rear through the hinge on the back door. There are two Allen bolts that take off the plastic cover. Then there’s another plastic holder that holds the wires to the rear hatch. I cannot figure out a way to open up that little cover. Has anyone had any luck?
Yup, once you have either side of the hinge off, then that plastic cover has to be popped spin by sliding a small flat head screw driver into it. It's quite fiddly and is on the inside of the hinge !

The plastic trim on the inside of the boot at the top pops off relatively easily to thread the wire round to the top of the rear screen !

Mines all in (BlackVue DR750s 2-ch) and if I can I'll take some pictures !
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2019, 02:55 AM   #3
MattXYZ
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (G01) M40i, X5 (F15) 40d

No need to remove that cover. Just pull down the roof liner to thread the cable behind and through the rubber grommet. The grommet can be pulled out to make it a bit easier.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2019, 02:58 AM   #4
MattXYZ
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (G01) M40i, X5 (F15) 40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattXYZ View Post
No need to remove that cover. Just pull down the roof liner to thread the cable behind and through the rubber grommet. The grommet can be pulled out to make it a bit easier.
Correction... no rubber grommet on our X3... I must have been thinking of another install I've done recently!

See my write up here for X3 dashcam install:

Thinkware F770 2 channel dashcam installation https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1586658
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2019, 09:10 AM   #5
jimmyjohn
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike72uk View Post
Yup, once you have either side of the hinge off, then that plastic cover has to be popped spin by sliding a small flat head screw driver into it. It's quite fiddly and is on the inside of the hinge !

The plastic trim on the inside of the boot at the top pops off relatively easily to thread the wire round to the top of the rear screen !

Mines all in (BlackVue DR750s 2-ch) and if I can I'll take some pictures !
That would be great if you can!
Appreciate 0