BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum 1st Drive 2023 BMW X7 M60i by Joe Achilles

12-17-2022, 01:50 PM   #23
Saejin
Captain
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW5and7 View Post
iX delivery started first-2nd week of Dec 2021 in Germany (production started end of Nov 21). If you follow the iX threads on this website, there is a decent number of iX owners on this forum who got theirs delivered mid Dec 21 and posted there when they got theirs delivered including my wife. We were among the first to put in our order. I spend ~3 winter months in Germany and the rest in the US. We kept it for a few months only and then got a good trade it value when gas prices caused a spike in EV market/prices this year, and got another X7 for my wife. I never liked it; though am okay with EV and have a 530e, but never liked the interior of the iX or the front end design.
Know there are a lot deep pockets on this forum but damn a 530e as well along with the two X7s and the now traded in iX.

Gotta ask, since you’ve probably got the best real world experience.
How’s the 530e? Do you think BMW will put a similar drivetrain into the next gen X7…like an X7 40e or 50e?

At some point I plan to go EV, but will probably try out a hybrid before then.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2022, 01:56 PM   #24
Missduvy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 50i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Jane View Post
I like Joe and it's a good video. The X7 is more for rich soccer moms and not a BMW enthusiast vehicle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW5and7 View Post
True story that many BMW enthusiast who only drives M-vehicle won’t understand/realize until they step into a fully loaded M50i , or an M60i when all options are available again, for a road-trip.
My husband is on his second true M sedan and while he doesn’t love driving my X7, he does agree that it’s the most fun full size SUV out there.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2022, 01:58 PM   #25
Missduvy
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
The irony is these full size luxo SUV's will blow the little sporty looking models off the road effortlessly all while sitting in heated massage chairs while rear entertainment screens play the movie "Frozen" with the rich sound playing through the Diamond B&W audio and ambient air scent filling the spacious cabin. :
If only they’d bring back the rear seat entertainment and ambient air.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2022, 02:17 PM   #26
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missduvy View Post
If only they’d bring back the rear seat entertainment and ambient air.
True.
That’s the reason the 2020 X7 model year is the goat of the X7. Hopefully BMW brings back those items as well as night vision, full alcantara headliners, etc…. I suspect we will first see a return of the top tier options on the XB7 first when available.
Appreciate 2
BMW5and71061.50
mitch57804.50
      12-17-2022, 04:10 PM   #27
Missduvy
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
True.
That’s the reason the 2020 X7 model year is the goat of the X7. Hopefully BMW brings back those items as well as night vision, full alcantara headliners, etc…. I suspect we will first see a return of the top tier options on the XB7 first when available.
My current 2019 is a gem. I’ve second guessed my 23 order several times and am hoping I love it as much.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2022, 04:18 PM   #28
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X7;X5;S-Class;Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saejin View Post
Know there are a lot deep pockets on this forum but damn a 530e as well along with the two X7s and the now traded in iX.

Gotta ask, since you’ve probably got the best real world experience.
How’s the 530e? Do you think BMW will put a similar drivetrain into the next gen X7…like an X7 40e or 50e?

At some point I plan to go EV, but will probably try out a hybrid before then.
It’ actually not as deep as u think, lol. I am a fan of buying pre-owned depreciated vehicles, and that’s what I’ve been doing for years and years (especially that I trade in very soon mostly every 1-2 years at bestl). I am new to BMW and just switched 2 of my family vehciles from MBenz to BMW just this year. My 530e xDrive is pre-owned also with 40K+ miles when I got at ~55% of it’s original MSRP, and it was a replacement of a cheaper C-class on May 2022!. My 2019 X7 50i is also a pre-owned loaded X7 that I got at a fraction of it’s original $121K MSRP, and it took my older GLS spot. So when u take all that into account, my current fleet probably did not cost me much more than what people are paying now for a 0-miles loaded 22’ M50 or 23’ M60i, yet for 2 vehicles. My wife’s X7 is the only one that I broke the rule of thump as it was her own decision and she wanted specific colors and anyway we got super trade-in offer on the iX, hence we never had the iX with the two X7s at the same time (she tends to keep her vehicles for 8-years+ unlike my case as I average 1.5 years at most, so hopefully 0-miles purchase would work financially in that case). People have different opinions, but to me buying 0-miles is a waste of money (unless u keep it for 8-10 years) otherwise I prefer to buy pre-owned with 2-3 years left on warranty before it’s due for a trade-in or renewed. In today’s market, it’s probably not that easy to find the right spec’s and right vehicle. If time goes back to 2019-2020 again, I’d certainly buy a 0-mile loaded X7 with same spec’s as the 2019 50i that I have, as I came to realize that am passing on the LCI until the new gen is revealed with spec’s or cosmetics that I like; otherwise I’ll have to look for other brands if BMW trend on some aspects continue.

Last edited by BMW5and7; 12-17-2022 at 04:31 PM..
Appreciate 1
      12-18-2022, 08:54 AM   #29
Ugly Kar
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 to C43 Cab to G42

Sometimes I wonder if making hideously ugly cars is now part of BMW's new marketing strategy. It's true nothing drives like a BMW so they know they can't make as many as they can sell. So decreasing demand by making them hideously ugly may be finding the right balance quantity supplied and quantity demanded.
Appreciate 1
BMW5and71061.50
      12-18-2022, 09:47 AM   #30
Cabby
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X740i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
2019 BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugly Kar View Post
Sometimes I wonder if making hideously ugly cars is now part of BMW's new marketing strategy. It's true nothing drives like a BMW so they know they can't make as many as they can sell. So decreasing demand by making them hideously ugly may be finding the right balance quantity supplied and quantity demanded.
They wont miss you.
Appreciate 1
      12-18-2022, 10:12 AM   #31
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saejin View Post
Ok, gotta chime in here as well.

The X7 M60i is for people who would like to get an M2, M3, or Cayman or name any other sports car, but who find find those sports cars are hard to get in and out of, are not really all that practical, and at the high end cost just as much if not more than the X7.
I'd argue most BMW customers just like the branding and image of driving a BMW and that's it. Most probably don't even know what an M2 is.

Similar story for Porsche but their sports cars are even less practical. My dad is one of those people. Always liked the idea of a Porsche, but never enjoyed actually sitting in one. He ended up with a Macan S; which while drives well, feels compromised and is not a proper Porsche.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2022, 10:43 AM   #32
Saejin
Captain
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
I'd argue most BMW customers just like the branding and image of driving a BMW and that's it. Most probably don't even know what an M2 is.

Similar story for Porsche but their sports cars are even less practical. My dad is one of those people. Always liked the idea of a Porsche, but never enjoyed actually sitting in one. He ended up with a Macan S; which while drives well, feels compromised and is not a proper Porsche.
True for the 40i, but it takes someone who knows BMWs or just has the money to burn to step up into the M60i. Stepping up is anywhere from $10-$15k bump in price, so majority of those looking at 7-seater SUVs may not be willing to pay that when the 40i fits their needs.

As for Porsche, you can option an “S” trim close to GTS pricing, but you lose out on some performance enhancements. I say if you can afford it to load up an S trike, just jump into the GTS trim. For the Macan and Cayenne they both look pretty plain in base level trim and don’t have all the options needed to drive like a true Porsche should. Never owned one, test driven quite a few, turo’d a Cayman for two weeks, but think most would agree.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2022, 10:48 AM   #33
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

The X7 takes the place of a full size luxury sedan A8, S-Class, etc…. in my fleet of vehicles. Traveling cross country in my A8 was filled with compromising with lack of space for myself and wife. The back seat would be loaded all the way up because the trunk was full. It was a pia work around. Then when we had 2 kids and strollers the full size luxury sedan was unlivable even for day to day use. I would drive my full-size truck rather than fight with the A8 lack of space.

I see no reason why I would ever go back as even without my kids I like sitting up higher and want a full size powerful luxury vehicle. The X7 rides better than my A8 anyway. At this point I buy vehicles for a specific purpose so I want my full size luxo SUV to have similar power as my delicates sports cars or truck. I am really a full size truck guy and daily a Power Wagon so I like extra space and a large vehicle in general. The X7 really feels like a mid size compared to my truck.

Last edited by MystroX5; 12-18-2022 at 10:54 AM..
Appreciate 3
      12-18-2022, 10:49 AM   #34
andyli888
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X7M60i/X7M50i(Sold)/GLS63/TRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHARMAATL View Post
A 3.97 second 0-60 time is incredible.
I think this is the first test of the M60i 0-60 That I've seen. The fastest I've seen the M50i was 4.1 at car and driver.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2022, 10:58 AM   #35
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyli888 View Post
I think this is the first test of the M60i 0-60 That I've seen. The fastest I've seen the M50i was 4.1 at car and driver.
I have done Draggy under 4 seconds with my X7M50i with 21” wheels and at 500 ft sea level. I suspect in the right temps I could get into 3.8’s.
Appreciate 1
      12-18-2022, 11:10 AM   #36
agnisco
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Chevy Silverado & 2023 X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missduvy View Post
Quote:
The irony is these full size luxo SUV's will blow the little sporty looking models off the road effortlessly all while sitting in heated massage chairs while rear entertainment screens play the movie "Frozen" with the rich sound playing through the Diamond B&W audio and ambient air scent filling the spacious cabin. :
If only they'd bring back the rear seat entertainment and ambient air.
I understand the logic by not including rear seat entertainment. A/V technology progresses so quickly that whatever screen and tech a manufacturer puts on the back of seat one model year can and will be outdated two model years later. Just look at how quickly TV technology has advanced in the last five years and how prices on TVs dramatically drop every 6-12 months when new tech updates TVs. A TV that was $2500.00 in March is $1000.00 the following January. Granted, the current Travel and Comfort system isn't as refined or integrated looking as a true built-in rear entertainment system, but I like the idea of being able to just mount whatever iPad I want or my son wants to look at back there. 99 times out a 100, a current iPad screen will be better than any screen that BMW or any other manufacturer builds into the back of a seat. Now I don't know how that interfaces with the sound system in the car as far as being wired, BT, etc., but as long as it can interface with the sound system in the car, I think it's a win being able to mount whatever screen or tablet you want back there. Plus if your kid cracks the screen on an iPad, it's $150.00 to repair. If the screen gets cracked or goes out on an integrated screen, it's probably ten times that to replace.
Appreciate 2
      12-18-2022, 05:45 PM   #37
Luminor513
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 G07 x40i BSM/Blk Merino

Quote:
True.
2020 is for sure the best year. Disappointing to see Rear TV’s are still not available for LCI X7. Not sure what we will do as our lease is coming to an end.
      12-18-2022, 06:08 PM   #38
Blue87
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 X5 M50i, 05 S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyli888 View Post
Any idea which app he was using to record that time? I know many YouTubers use their phone/app, just seems like there is a ton of room for inaccurate results. I'd personally like to see the X5, X7 at a drag strip to compare results.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2022, 07:25 PM   #39
Luminor513
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 G07 x40i BSM/Blk Merino

Quote:
Originally Posted by agnisco View Post
I understand the logic by not including rear seat entertainment. A/V technology progresses so quickly that whatever screen and tech a manufacturer puts on the back of seat one model year can and will be outdated two model years later. Just look at how quickly TV technology has advanced in the last five years and how prices on TVs dramatically drop every 6-12 months when new tech updates TVs. A TV that was $2500.00 in March is $1000.00 the following January. Granted, the current Travel and Comfort system isn't as refined or integrated looking as a true built-in rear entertainment system, but I like the idea of being able to just mount whatever iPad I want or my son wants to look at back there. 99 times out a 100, a current iPad screen will be better than any screen that BMW or any other manufacturer builds into the back of a seat. Now I don't know how that interfaces with the sound system in the car as far as being wired, BT, etc., but as long as it can interface with the sound system in the car, I think it's a win being able to mount whatever screen or tablet you want back there. Plus if your kid cracks the screen on an iPad, it's $150.00 to repair. If the screen gets cracked or goes out on an integrated screen, it's probably ten times that to replace.
No matter how you look at the advantages of iPads vs integrated TV’s, it’s never quite the same with iPads. Having built in rear TV’s in a car like the X7 is a must for us, but I do see how using iPads is a solution for some, if bmw can’t provide the option.
      12-18-2022, 07:39 PM   #40
Missduvy
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminor513 View Post
No matter how you look at the advantages of iPads vs integrated TV’s, it’s never quite the same with iPads. Having built in rear TV’s in a car like the X7 is a must for us, but I do see how using iPads is a solution for some, if bmw can’t provide the option.
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnisco View Post
I’m going to miss it when I trade my 19 in for my 23 in a couple weeks. My tweens don’t use it to watch movies anymore, but they love being able to control the music from the back. Plus, it just looks cool.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2022, 10:17 PM   #41
supdes
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X7 m60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue87 View Post
Any idea which app he was using to record that time? I know many YouTubers use their phone/app, just seems like there is a ton of room for inaccurate results. I'd personally like to see the X5, X7 at a drag strip to compare results.
Joe mentions his phone is connected to a racebox mini, which is a pretty accurate GPS module. He is quite transparent about his drag run setup as he describes all actions he is performing to get into launch mode, the screens are also shown a few times. He also mentions it was 39F at the time.
Appreciate 2
Blue87375.50
      12-19-2022, 06:05 AM   #42
DSTJ99
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '20 X7 40i - Tanzanite/Coffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminor513 View Post
2020 is for sure the best year. Disappointing to see Rear TV’s are still not available for LCI X7. Not sure what we will do as our lease is coming to an end.
Totally agree and once the LCI front end was revealed it solidified our decision to buy out our 2020 X7 lease. My friend just got a 23 and I really can’t get behind the headlight design - especially on lighter colored cars. The car has been amazing and plan is to keep it forn5 or 6 years now.
Appreciate 1
BMW5and71061.50
      12-20-2022, 11:55 AM   #43
A340600driver
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW f31/f25/e85

That’s hard to look at.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2022, 12:13 PM   #44
andyli888
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X7M60i/X7M50i(Sold)/GLS63/TRX

Quote:
I have done Draggy under 4 seconds with my X7M50i with 21” wheels and at 500 ft sea level. I suspect in the right temps I could get into 3.8’s.
My nephew who's close to me has a 2022 m50i. I wonder who's faster. Is there a phone app that can record 0-60 reasonably accurate or should I get a draggy?
Appreciate 0