BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum New X7 Build - no touchscreen?!

10-28-2021, 06:41 PM   #45
sjsnyc
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 (G05)

Quote:
Originally Posted by calbears View Post
Ordering isn't the same as having an allocation.
Correct, my dealer didn't obtain an allocation until late September.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 07:46 PM   #46
two1bar
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Removal of touchscreen is a huge gamble on BMW's part. Perhaps getting rid of Gesture Control would have been a better choice if something had to be removed IMO.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 08:07 PM   #47
waqiidepp
WaqiiDepp
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07%E2%80%99 328xi coupe, 12%E2

Quote:
Originally Posted by two1bar View Post
Removal of touchscreen is a huge gamble on BMW's part. Perhaps getting rid of Gesture Control would have been a better choice if something had to be removed IMO.
Completely agree
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 08:48 PM   #48
skids929
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

I'd say this is could be deal breaker...The size of the screen in the X7 is a differentiator and makes it easier to use the touch feature. I thought I'd only use the wheel in this vehicle, but given the size of the screen use the touch feature here and there. YMMV
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 09:16 PM   #49
jcarlilesiu
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjsnyc View Post
I signed a contract for a 2022 X7 back in August and it finally hit the production queue last Friday. Today I received an email from my CA stating the car would be built without a touchscreen and that while it would still have the live cockpit, I would have to use the regular iDrive to navigate the screen. I find this rather ridiculous. Can BMW not delay the car until the parts are in stock?! What next, are they going to start selling cars without engines or steering wheels? I realize this is sounding a lot like a first world problem, and I suppose it is, but shesh!

BMW needs to terminate their head of supply chain as they failed to come up with proper contingency plans.
For what it's worth, I never touch my screen. Don't want the fingerprints
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 09:26 PM   #50
gatordent2007
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 x7 M50i

Garage List
2016 BMW 750xi  [0.00]
Would be an absolute dealbreaker for me in any car at this point, much less an x7
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 09:53 PM   #51
NLRMS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW XB7 Alpina

Is Touchscreen advertised as Glass Controls or is it something else? Trying to figure out if my car will come with the Touchscreen display ot not.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 09:59 PM   #52
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLRMS View Post
Is Touchscreen advertised as Glass Controls or is it something else? Trying to figure out if my car will come with the Touchscreen display ot not.
No that's the glass shifter.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 10:14 PM   #53
NLRMS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW XB7 Alpina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
No that's the glass shifter.
I am going over the standard features list to see if I can find it but not sure what to look for.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 12:06 AM   #54
BigEvan1923
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 LCI G07 M50i E46 M3 G01

Disgraceful. Feeling quite lucky to have gotten a loaded M50i in July. I wanted RSE but with a 2 year old and newborn in the second row, facing backwards in car seats for the duration of my lease, it would have just been a nice cosmetic party trick.
Appreciate 1
      10-29-2021, 12:22 AM   #55
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
This is in the X5 threads too, but just for clarity, the touchscreen delete also deletes backup assist ... From a dealer:
Over the course of the last several months, we have managed to maintain the majority of our planned production in spite of limits to certain option content. As we move further into Q4, some of these limitations have increased in scope. In an effort to maintain production levels through the end of the year, we have decided to remove the touch functionality from the Central Information Display in several vehicles starting production this week.

Impacted models:
G20 3 Series
G22/G23 4 Series Coupe and Convertible
G26 4 Series Gran Coupe (excluding i4)
G29 Z4
G05/G06/G07 (all variants)
These vehicles will have the Option Code 6UY “Deletion of Touchscreen” on the Monroney and an option credit of $500 will be applied to all vehicles produced without touch functionality.

This adjustment impacts all planned production for vehicles listed above, and as a result, we are unable to prioritize variants or P1 customer sold orders. We understand this change will require dialogue with customers awaiting delivery and additional action at the Client Advisor level.

Dealers will also be required to have customers sign a form confirming acknowledgement of the change.

With the inclusion of Option Code 6UY:
Touch functionality will not be present in the aforementioned vehicles
Other functionalities of the infotainment system (including Apple CarPlay and Android Auto) remain unaffected and can be used via the iDrive Controller and/or voice control
Additionally, vehicles with Parking Assistant Package (5DN/ZPK) will lose Backup Assistant when coupled with 6UY
These vehicles will have Option Code ZUY included in the build and Monroney labels to indicate “Deletion of Backup Assistant”

Vehicles with Option Code 6UY are expected to begin shipping this week from Plant Spartanburg, with overseas production to follow next week. All vehicles produced with this option will require a software update prior to retail and customer delivery as they will be shipped and wholesaled with a Retail Stop Sale. The software update will be available as of November 11.

With the software update forthcoming, we felt it was best to deliver the vehicles as they are built to expedite the resolution process. We acknowledge this is a different approach and thank you for your flexibility, continued cooperation and commitment to BMW.

Thank you.

~Jon S.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 02:00 AM   #56
mjr24
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M8 Comp GC, X7, AMG GT53

This would be a deal breaker for me. Before you know it, they will be selling X7's with one front seat.
2022 M8 Comp GC, 2021 AMG GT53, 2022 X5M Competition, 2021 X7 40i, 2019 M5, 2018 M550I, 2017 Audi Q7, 2014 M6 GC, 2013 Mercedes CLS550, 2011 750LI, 2008 M6 Cabrio, 2008 Porsche Cayenne S, 2004 Mercedes SL55 AMG, 2003 Mercedes SL500, 2000 Mercedes CL500, 1993 Lexus SC400, 1989 525i, 1985 318i
Appreciate 1
Wild Blue3683.50
      10-29-2021, 02:26 AM   #57
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
At model 2021, premium options were removed like night vision, ambient air, rear entertainment, etc…. That was the start of stripping the flagship models of their top options.
Correct. 2021 started the backwards trend of features and options being REMOVED from the X7 instead of new things being added with new model years. My M50i was produced Feb 2021, and I was not able to get:
  • Night Vision
  • Ambient Air
  • Black (or other colors) Extended Leather
  • Rear Entertainment System
  • Cloth sunroof liner instead of alcantara leather
  • No crystal radio volume knob
I wanted all of those, except RES. I was able to easily retrofit the crystal knob for $30. Cloth liner is an annoying move by BMW, but not a show stopper. The other items were "I want" items, but I can get past it. I love the way my car turned out.

But i tell ya what, I would not have put up with all the other supply and cost crap that's been going on ever since. So glad I got my car when I did, just before things really went south. And I feel for those who are in a position of needing to get a car now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLRMS View Post
I am going over the standard features list to see if I can find it but not sure what to look for.
I don't believe that the touchscreen is detailed anywhere in the standard features list. We've sunk so low, that BMW is removing fundamental items not even making the standard feature list.
And road trip journal to Denali and the Arctic Circle here in this thread!
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 09:02 AM   #58
pana511
Rep
Drives: BMW X740i Tanzanite Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Blue View Post
Correct. 2021 started the backwards trend of features and options being REMOVED from the X7 instead of new things being added with new model years. My M50i was produced Feb 2021, and I was not able to get:
  • Night Vision
  • Ambient Air
  • Black (or other colors) Extended Leather
  • Rear Entertainment System
  • Cloth sunroof liner instead of alcantara leather
  • No crystal radio volume knob
I wanted all of those, except RES. I was able to easily retrofit the crystal knob for $30. Cloth liner is an annoying move by BMW, but not a show stopper. The other items were "I want" items, but I can get past it. I love the way my car turned out.

But i tell ya what, I would not have put up with all the other supply and cost crap that's been going on ever since. So glad I got my car when I did, just before things really went south. And I feel for those who are in a position of needing to get a car now.

I don't believe that the touchscreen is detailed anywhere in the standard features list. We've sunk so low, that BMW is removing fundamental items not even making the standard feature list.

I found the Touch Screen still listed on the BMWUSA standard site,
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 09:00 PM   #59
xprancer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3, X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjsnyc View Post
I signed a contract for a 2022 X7 back in August and it finally hit the production queue last Friday. Today I received an email from my CA stating the car would be built without a touchscreen and that while it would still have the live cockpit, I would have to use the regular iDrive to navigate the screen. I find this rather ridiculous. Can BMW not delay the car until the parts are in stock?! What next, are they going to start selling cars without engines or steering wheels? I realize this is sounding a lot like a first world problem, and I suppose it is, but shesh!

BMW needs to terminate their head of supply chain as they failed to come up with proper contingency plans.
Umm… at what point do they stop including the transmission? :
Appreciate 1
Wild Blue3683.50
      10-30-2021, 07:01 AM   #60
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Seeing as how most of these supply chain affected option deletions are not that hard to retrofit (especially the touchscreen), it would be nice (and very appropriate) if BMW offered a "rain check" on these options for the affected vehicles. Then, when the parts finally become available, give the owner the option, for a nominal fee, to have the part dealer installed. That nominal fee should be no more than the deletion credit the owners received when originally informed of the option deletion - but really should be free, "just because…."

If I could get my hands on one of these touchscreens, I could probably retrofit it, including coding it myself with my own tools - but that is clearly not the point here. As others have mentioned, loss of very basic options on a flagship model (even non-flagship models), with no real viable solution (like what I mentioned above) other than a skimpy credit is really getting trifling….:

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 1
      10-30-2021, 07:49 AM   #61
ComingInHot
Newish
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowerEast View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComingInHot View Post
It all started going downhill and getting crazy from MY 2021…. August 2020.
That's not correct. The early MY 2021s had no issues with part availability for options.

I have a 2021 40i with a December 2020 build date with every option I wanted that stickered at $97K. I have DHP, HK audio, wireless charging, wifi etc. - all of the things that have since become unavailable or at least have been unavailable for that model at various times this year.

The parts shortages have worsened over the course of this year, with features and options dropping off on a rolling basis over time. There was no issue at the beginning of the 2021 model year.
It is you that is not correct. Options went away in 2021 all of which I have and enjoy in my 2020.

I'm not debating which options are worth it or not since there are LOTS of threads for and against all the removed options. I also didn't say part shortages caused all the problems. However, every version since the 2020 has been less of an X7 than that year and it's only getting worse unfortunately month my month. The original poster grouped all 2020s in the statement so I was clarifying it's not MY 2020 but MY2021 builds in 2020 that started the downward trend of options that got worse when part shortages showed up.

Facts not conjecture and to be clearer I'm talking US models only.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2021, 08:10 AM   #62
ComingInHot
Newish
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerdoc2020 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComingInHot View Post
Just to be clear that's only model year 2021 and 2022 NOT model year 2020 that was built all the way to July 2020 with all available options and parts. I would know as I have a last week MY 2020 build with all options.

It all started going downhill and getting crazy from MY 2021…. August 2020.
Yes, you and I scored fully loaded X7s at the last second. I wonder what premium we could put on them? lol
The offers I get are ridiculous my dealer would take it in a heartbeat but then if I sold it what the heck would I drive that is as enjoyable with all the tech!! Plus since this for me was a long term purchase (10 years at least) I don't really care what it's worth all I do is enjoy it everyday and that's worth more to me than $$$.

Also, sorry for the guys/gals losing options …I would say don't buy the X7 right now… take something else to get by for 3 years and then come back. Premium vehicles missing this many options will not give you a good resale when options bounce back and on the other hand who wants to keep something long term when it's like this anyway. :
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2021, 08:33 AM   #63
ppnff
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X7

This is unreal. My vehicle is coming off lease and had been considering the X7. I am not sure now.
Past Vehicles: 2019 X5 xDrive40i M-Sport (Week 41 Build), 2016 X5 xDrive35i, 2014 Acura MDX AWD, 2009 Mercedes E350 RWD, 2006 Infiniti G35, 2003 Honda Accord EX V6, 2000 Infiniti QX4, 1996 Honda Accord EXL, 1993 Volvo 850GLT, 1979 Mercedes 240D
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2021, 09:47 AM   #64
huskerdoc2020
Captain
Rep

100% what Cominginhot says. I was fortunate enough to order a 40i 2020 in June at the last minute with every option available at $106k. Now the best is nearly $15,000 less. Crazy world. Let's Go Brandon!
Appreciate 1
Wild Blue3683.50
      10-30-2021, 01:43 PM   #65
liroyan
Private
Rep

My dealer just called me, I was so excited when he told me my car will finally be here next week. Then he told me about removal of touch screen. I thought I heard it wrong, then he said they're giving $500 credit. I asked about retrofitting, he said no memo about that so probably not.

I'm leaning towards walking away from this long-waited and much-needed car, cause I've been using my audi touch screen for CarPlay for past two years. It's just part of my driving workflow now. I was not happy with removal of B&W sound system, but I can live with that. But touch screen is part of the necessary driving utility, at least for me. I'm shocked & pissed & confused by them just removing with a $500 credit, and cut us clean. "so even if we have millions of touch screen next year we won't install it for you for free"
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2021, 02:39 PM   #66
pana511
Rep
Drives: BMW X740i Tanzanite Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by liroyan View Post
My dealer just called me, I was so excited when he told me my car will finally be here next week. Then he told me about removal of touch screen. I thought I heard it wrong, then he said they're giving $500 credit. I asked about retrofitting, he said no memo about that so probably not.

I'm leaning towards walking away from this long-waited and much-needed car, cause I've been using my audi touch screen for CarPlay for past two years. It's just part of my driving workflow now. I was not happy with removal of B&W sound system, but I can live with that. But touch screen is part of the necessary driving utility, at least for me. I'm shocked & pissed & confused by them just removing with a $500 credit, and cut us clean. "so even if we have millions of touch screen next year we won't install it for you for free"
There needs to be enough people rejecting these orders with this $500 credit, I mean $500 for no Touch Screen and no parking assistant with is basically half of the $800 parking assistant prackage. This is poor customer service, we who have cars coming should flood BMW USA Customer service's number with complaints at this point...my crappy CA hasn't even called to let me know this is going on
Appreciate 0