BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum NOTE FOR NEW BUYERS: Difference between current build and new 4/2023 build

09-04-2022, 07:38 PM   #89
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X7;X5;S-Class;Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjabend View Post
Very informative! Thanks.
You’re most welcome : )

Last edited by BMW5and7; 09-04-2022 at 07:45 PM..
Appreciate 1
rjabend368.50
      09-04-2022, 07:58 PM   #90
Jennifer
Banned
Rep
Drives: X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerdiesel View Post
I think your titles need to tone down a bit. It might be useful for some but if you have bought new BMWs in past, you would know new things are added every April and Sept. that's a fact. Also the way automated driving is evolving there might be new hardware in 2024.
Thank you for sharing the detailed information!
Appreciate 1
BMW-X157.00
      09-04-2022, 08:34 PM   #91
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigitte View Post
I wish BMW would tell us the details of the upgrades they are planning to do in April 2023. It would be fantastic if it would include traffic lights and stop signs recognition! WOW!
To shed some light on your point, here is a previous example of previous trends, BMW announcement below (link below) is an example when it added new features to idrive which was not at that time compatible with the launch version (MY 2019), as they passed on that one and made this only available for the newer 2020 or 2019 produced towards end of the year only, excluding the first few months. Since then, a number of relevant feature was made available via a software update for all 2020-2022 vehicles (i.e: digital key). There were no hardware upgrades at all since then. This also includes the Phone as Digital Key compatibility which the 2019 didn’t get (as explained later, this was also through a hardware upgrade that the 1st year launched had missed and never got later).

https://www.bmwblog.com/2020/05/27/b...-professional/

Last edited by BMW5and7; 09-05-2022 at 12:05 PM..
Appreciate 1
Brigitte484.50
      09-04-2022, 09:55 PM   #92
Brigitte
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 Mazda CX-9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW5and7 View Post
To shed some light on your point, here is a previous example of previous trends, BMW announcement below (link below) is an example when it added new features to idrive which was not at that time compatible with the launch version (MY 2019), as they passed on that one and made this only available for the newer 2020 or 2019 produced towards end of the year only, excluding the first few months. Since then, a number of relevant feature was made available via a software update for all 2020-2022 vehicles (i.e: digital key). There were no hardware upgrades at all since then. This also includes the Phone as Digital Key compatibility which the 2019 didn’t get.

Thanks for the explanation!
Appreciate 1
BMW5and71061.50
      09-05-2022, 09:14 AM   #93
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the explanation!
Happy to help
Appreciate 1
Brigitte484.50
      09-05-2022, 11:54 AM   #94
adamjs83
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5, 2020 X7

Garage List
2020 X7  [0.00]
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
I wish BMW would tell us the details of the upgrades they are planning to do in April 2023. It would be fantastic if it would include traffic lights and stop signs recognition! WOW!
To shed some light on your point, here is a previous example of previous trends, BMW announcement below (link below) is an example when it added new features to idrive which was not at that time compatible with the launch version (MY 2019), as they passed on that one and made this only available for the newer 2020 or 2019 produced towards end of the year only, excluding the first few months. Since then, a number of relevant feature was made available via a software update for all 2020-2022 vehicles (i.e: digital key). There were no hardware upgrades at all since then. This also includes the Phone as Digital Key compatibility which the 2019 didn't get.

Actually, just to clarify there was one hardware upgrade. While all G05/G07 vehicles produced from the start of MY2019 had "Digital Key" the Apple CarKey feature included additional hardware they was only included in vehicles produced in late July 2020 onward. MY2019 and MY2020 vehicles produced prior to and including early July never got Apple Car Key. You can search this forum from June/July of 2020 and see it was discussed quite a bit. Similarly to this current issue, it was not clear in the marketing but I also reached out to BMW NA at the time and the confirmed it.

Apple's Digital Car Key Coming to Broad Array of BMW Models Manufactured After July 1 https://g07.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1732752
2019 BMW X5 xdrive40i Mineral White
Appreciate 1
Brigitte484.50
      09-05-2022, 11:58 AM   #95
adamjs83
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5, 2020 X7

Garage List
2020 X7  [0.00]
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjs83 View Post
No it really isn't one sided speculation. It's reliable based on an official response I received from BMW AND completely consistent with how BMW has behaved in the past. The majority of the modules remain the same throughout the generation of the vehicle and just like in the past a few aren't being upgraded until about 6 months into the generation. They did the same thing with the launch of the G05/G07 in 2019 and are doing it again.

Personally, I'm still buying mine if it ever leaves QC, but it is a public service to let as many people know as possible that the first 6 months of the LCI is missing hardware that will be in the cars produced through 2027. That also isn't speculation. We know for sure that is when the redesign will come out.
Honestly, I can't trust your timeline and your note in general. Here is why! If I wait one more year to get the so-called "fully cooked" package, can you assure us BMW will not drop other packages? The supply chain shortage will not fade away in 2023, and if they decide to drop packages year after year, then what you or their internal source can do?! Can you save those packages for us?!

People buy vehicles for a variety of reasons, and it is not just about that one feature you or I are obsessed with at one certain time!

It is interesting that you ignore everyone else arguments, but you yourself want to buy this half-cooked SUV!
Honestly, don't trust it. Do what you want get the car you want. This is an enthusiast forum and this is the kind of stuff we talk about. Your hostility on this issue is just puzzling. No one is attacking you or your car.
2019 BMW X5 xdrive40i Mineral White
Appreciate 8
Brigitte484.50
rjabend368.50
Mail4loys415.50
BMW5and71061.50
Alf8932.50
PL13.50
      09-05-2022, 12:02 PM   #96
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Actually, just to clarify there was one hardware upgrade. While all G05/G07 vehicles produced from the start of MY2019 had "Digital Key" the Apple CarKey feature included additional hardware they was only included in vehicles produced in late July 2020 onward. MY2019 and MY2020 vehicles produced prior to and including early July never got Apple Car Key. You can search this forum from June/July of 2020 and see it was discussed quite a bit. Similarly to this current issue, it was not clear in the marketing but I also reached out to BMW NA at the time and the confirmed it.

Apple's Digital Car Key Coming to Broad Array of BMW Models Manufactured After July 1 https://g07.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1732752
Right, I remember seeing the digital key menu in my 2019 X7 in the past, but was never able to get the iPhone to sync with the system. It was almost like a dump menu that sets there but does nothing. Later when I upgraded to a newer model, it was the same exact menu, but my iPhone was able to sync and it worked, which tells me that this was done through a hardware upgrade around 2020 rather than a software. I didn't know that until I upgraded from the first-year launch 2019 to a newer model year around summer of 2020.
Appreciate 1
Brigitte484.50
      09-05-2022, 12:34 PM   #97
Brigitte
Major
Rep

Quote:
Honestly, don't trust it. Do what you want get the car you want. This is an enthusiast forum and this is the kind of stuff we talk about. Your hostility on this issue is just puzzling. No one is attacking you or your car.
I totally agree with you!
Appreciate 2
BMW5and71061.50
      09-05-2022, 12:40 PM   #98
Luminor513
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 G07 x40i BSM/Blk Merino

Autonomous driving is not what I feel majority of X7 buyers want. I would prefer BMW add back the rear seat entertainment option. Disappointingly it wasn't added back w the LCI but I'm hopeful it will return next year.
BMW5and71061.50
BMW-X157.00
      09-05-2022, 01:09 PM   #99
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminor513 View Post
Autonomous driving is not what I feel majority of X7 buyers want. I would prefer BMW add back the rear seat entertainment option. Disappointingly it wasn't added back w the LCI but I'm hopeful it will return next year.
I think the rear seat entertainment will continue to be offered as an accessory that you can buy separately. It is not the same as the previous rear seat entertainment which speaks with the vehicle front modules, but it is more of an i-pad like accessory. The feedback from most drivers is that they prefer an i-pad or Samsung tablet smart configuration than most OEM rear seat entertainment system, and BMW has responded to that in a nice way by including the ability to install any aftermarket tablet on the back seat, yet with a USB-C port just right there. Most manufacturers know that the rear seat entertainment systems they sell are not going to compete well with other tables, though I do see the benefits of a the factory rear seat entertainment. Both have their own + and -; I personally don't have a preference, but most of the time I find myself using an i-pad for kids , though the factory rear seat entertainment is a better option to control what they view or use. Rumors are that the rear seat entertainment will get back to the X7 in a few months. It's 100% not going to go away and will be back to the X7. You see what they did in the 7-series, this topic continues to be a priority for BMW but currently they were not able to spec the LCI will all what they wish they could add but soon will be added. First year launch is always like that.
As far as the drive assist features, BMW has to keep up with the market, and autonomous driving is a must have from a corporate prospective. Majority of buyers are adding the drive assist feature which means they are willing to pay thousands and thousands for such feature, which gives BMW enough indication that it is worth upgrading before it's too late in the game. In the past few years, they have done so well on that end and their system is very refined and will continue to get even better. Urban and city drive assist and high-way hands-free support will become standard on almost all brands one-day in the future, and BMW is now ahead of the game by potentially offering it soon or already on the 7-series and very soon on the X7.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2022, 01:12 PM   #100
Jennifer
Banned
Rep
Drives: X7

Quote:
Actually, I am the one NOT attacking you or your car! It is the opposite! If there is any hostility, it originated from the tone of this post! We keep hearing terms such as "half-cooked" or "ugly" X7s every day!

To be fair, the current buyers can say the same negative things to the previous X7 buyers (half-cooked), did they say that? No, words have power, it is not nice to say things like that!

Again, I am not interested in attacking you or your car! Peace and Love! Goodbye!
Appreciate 2
      09-05-2022, 05:11 PM   #101
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yep it's actually one of the best enthusiast forums for BMW. I am a member of a few other forums, but this one is truly the "enthusiast" one.
Appreciate 1
rjabend368.50
      09-05-2022, 11:22 PM   #102
BMWFanBoi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justakid View Post
Thank you for letting me know, this information is useful. If you become aware of more concrete info, do keep us posted. I come to this forum for exactly this information so that we spend 100G wisely
Thank you, and am glad that you found this to be useful. I’l keep you posted as I get additional info, but so far all of the above is solid info. The only thing that could change is the timing (i.e.: April, earlier or slightly later). The current internal timeline is formally Spring 2023 (April). Laser lights are also coming back to the X7 soon.
Thank you for this information, I just joined. I am glad I joined the BMW community at the time I did. I was going to place an order for the M60i this month, but now I have decided to hold off until April 2023.

Reason as to why holding off:

I keep my vehicles for a longtime. Still have my 2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid (127k miles) and 2014 Toyota Avalon (170k) that I purchased brand new those years. This is my first luxury car purchase and I would like to have updates for at least the next 4 years into ownership and all the technology I can get. Also, I noticed no Laser Lights and was taken aback a little. I wondered, "why would someone (BMW) back track."

Hopefully, more news will come to fruition. Please keep us posted. The earlier the merry, hopefully it will be sooner than anticipated. Thanks!
Appreciate 2
BMW5and71061.50
adamjs83147.00
      09-06-2022, 10:11 AM   #103
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWFanBoi View Post
Thank you for this information, I just joined. I am glad I joined the BMW community at the time I did. I was going to place an order for the M60i this month, but now I have decided to hold off until April 2023.

Reason as to why holding off:

I keep my vehicles for a longtime. Still have my 2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid (127k miles) and 2014 Toyota Avalon (170k) that I purchased brand new those years. This is my first luxury car purchase and I would like to have updates for at least the next 4 years into ownership and all the technology I can get. Also, I noticed no Laser Lights and was taken aback a little. I wondered, "why would someone (BMW) back track."

Hopefully, more news will come to fruition. Please keep us posted. The earlier the merry, hopefully it will be sooner than anticipated. Thanks!
You're welcome. Glad that you, just like many others, have founded very useful for you to make your own decision. It's always great to have the information in advance before* making the decision than getting to know about it after the fact. I'll respond to the laser lights comment later, but it's coming back to both the X7 and 7-sedan soon (this was formally said during an interview with the head of engineering of BMW, so it is a no secret). Current ones are produced with no-laser lights, but we shall see laser lights back potentially this year according to him. I'll share more detail later on that. (BMW) will not "back track", but it may back track on the launch version for a few months as we are seeing now, but not for the entire life cycle.
Appreciate 2
      09-06-2022, 10:45 AM   #104
Venomm
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW 840 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Also, I noticed no Laser Lights and was taken aback a little. I wondered, "why would someone (BMW) back track."
I have laser lights on my 8 Series, and I am not impressed. It's very hard to tell any difference between the laser lights and the LED's on my new X7.
Appreciate 2
      09-06-2022, 12:52 PM   #105
BMWFanBoi
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomm View Post
Quote:
Also, I noticed no Laser Lights and was taken aback a little. I wondered, "why would someone (BMW) back track."
I have laser lights on my 8 Series, and I am not impressed. It's very hard to tell any difference between the laser lights and the LED's on my new X7.
Thanks for the information. I also brought it to the attention of various BMW dealers. They told me due government regulations the distance that the lights can illuminate the road has restrictions. As per the dealers, nonetheless you won't see substantial difference between laser and non-laser.
Appreciate 1
Venomm114.50
      09-06-2022, 12:52 PM   #106
Mani59
BMW Miniature Collector!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E38 735i SE Individual

To all,

Can I please remind you all of the forum rules, specifically point 1, 3 and 4 in the below:

https://www.1addicts.com/forums/anno....php?f=249&a=2

Please, for the final time, whatever your opinion and thoughts, be respectful to all, be helpful and don't attack each other.

Thanks, Mani

Visit my (mainly) BMW gallery http://jetone.co.uk
Appreciate 4
Brigitte484.50
BMW5and71061.50
      09-06-2022, 01:05 PM   #107
BMWFanBoi
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomm View Post
Quote:
Thanks for the information. I also brought it to the attention of various BMW dealers. They told me due government regulations the distance that the lights can illuminate the road has restrictions. As per the dealers, nonetheless you won't see substantial difference between laser and non-laser.
I still have to look into this so called government regulation/restriction on road illumination.
Appreciate 1
BMW5and71061.50
      09-06-2022, 01:18 PM   #108
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Awesome and thanks very much once again Admin!

BMWFanBoi and Venomm , Yes, the regulations for laser lights technology is tricky in the US. However, it is now allowed in the US starting from 2021 as BMW has corrected the operation of the laser-light to follow the (On to Off) approach other than the adaptive "traffic avoidance" approach that is used in Europe. Getting the BMW laser lights fully approved up to us maximum capability is awesome. However, even with the current on-off approach, the laser lights are awesome.

See this article below "BMW Adaptive headlights are finally coming to the US"
https://www.bmwblog.com/2021/11/18/b...ve-headlights/

Adaptive headlights went through the same before it was finally allowed. Thanks to the Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act (HR 3684), better known as the Infrastructure Bill. Here is the the transportation regulation pertaining to headlight design. https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/...sec571-108.xml

Last edited by BMW5and7; 09-06-2022 at 01:45 PM..
Appreciate 1
Venomm114.50
      09-06-2022, 01:24 PM   #109
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Awesome and thanks very much once again Admin!

BMWFanBoi and Venomm , Yes, the regulations for laser lights technology is tricky in the US. However, it is now allowed in the US starting from 2021 as BMW has corrected the operation of the laser-light to follow the (On to Off) approach other than the adaptive "traffic avoidance" approach that is used in Europe. Getting the BMW laser lights fully approved up to us maximum capability is awesome. However, even with the current on-off approach, the laser lights are awesome.

See this article below "BMW Adaptive headlights are finally coming to the US"
https://www.bmwblog.com/2021/11/18/b...ve-headlights/

Adaptive headlights went through the same before it was finally allowed. Thanks to the Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act (HR 3684), better known as the Infrastructure Bill. Here is the the transportation regulation pertaining to headlight design. https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/...sec571-108.xml
Also, I just want to clarify and add that the infrastructure law has actually already passed just recently and did set a 2023 deadline for so-called adaptive driving beam headlights to be approved for American roads. This is exactly 2-years from the timeline originally referenced in 2021 as promised on section 24212 of HR 3684 when the Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act signed into law on November 16, 2021—it states, "Not later than 2 years after the date of enactment of this Act, the Secretary shall issue a final rule amending Standard 108.")

See this below by MOTORTREND, and you can find the same info by several other reputable reports:
https://www.motortrend.com/news/us-h...structure-law/

The BMW engineering manager had also mentioned and hinted to public in one of the interviews a month ago (i will find it and share later) that additional features will be added to the split headlights, in a way hinting to laser lights. I hope we will see this also around 2023 during the x7 refresh which will at the very least have the on-off design similar to pre-lci, or hopefully the full adaptive laser lights based on the news above, just like in Europe. They laser lights in the US are basically the same headlights and hardware as those fully adaptive in europe, but they are regulated by a software. So, a software update is also possible. I know that some folks have anyway coded their laser lights to be adaptive in the US.

Last edited by BMW5and7; 09-06-2022 at 01:49 PM..
Appreciate 2
rjabend368.50
      09-06-2022, 05:49 PM   #110
Brigitte
Major
Rep

Quote:
Also, I just want to clarify and add that the infrastructure law has actually already passed just recently and did set a 2023 deadline for so-called adaptive driving beam headlights to be approved for American roads. This is exactly 2-years from the timeline originally referenced in 2021 as promised on section 24212 of HR 3684 when the Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act signed into law on November 16, 2021—it states, "Not later than 2 years after the date of enactment of this Act, the Secretary shall issue a final rule amending Standard 108.")

See this below by MOTORTREND, and you can find the same info by several other reputable reports:
https://www.motortrend.com/news/us-h...structure-law/

The BMW engineering manager had also mentioned and hinted to public in one of the interviews a month ago (i will find it and share later) that additional features will be added to the split headlights, in a way hinting to laser lights. I hope we will see this also around 2023 during the x7 refresh which will at the very least have the on-off design similar to pre-lci, or hopefully the full adaptive laser lights based on the news above, just like in Europe. They laser lights in the US are basically the same headlights and hardware as those fully adaptive in europe, but they are regulated by a software. So, a software update is also possible. I know that some folks have anyway coded their laser lights to be adaptive in the US.
The adaptive headlights feature is very important to me...it helps when making turns ..in curves...etc..
Appreciate 0