BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Aggressive Lane change/Lane departure when using Driving Assistant Pro

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-28-2019, 07:22 PM   #1
Waise
Private
7
Rep
52
Posts

Drives: BMW X7
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Washington State

iTrader: (0)

Aggressive Lane change/Lane departure when using Driving Assistant Pro

I often use Active Driving Assistant Pro. option when driving on highways. It's very helpful and reduces driving stress. But I still think the automatic lane change when turning blinkers ON is very aggressive. Has there been any recent software updates that smooths the active lane change/lane departure function?

My 2019 X7 is with Software version 07/2019.39
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2019, 04:48 PM   #2
crackerjack15
First Lieutenant
crackerjack15's Avatar
United_States
147
Rep
307
Posts

Drives: 2019 X7 40i
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: West Virginia

iTrader: (0)

Yes. Mine was very aggressive and after software update (not sure number, will have to check) where they kept car overnight, it now lane changes quickly after turn signal press and decently smooth. It still has a little "swing" to it compare to how a human would do it slowly, but it works much better now imho.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 06:34 AM   #3
rgrovr
Lieutenant
rgrovr's Avatar
137
Rep
400
Posts

Drives: 2016 YMB M3
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

Its scary the first time you use it and that lane change is like a NASCAR-type move Its likely better suited for the Driving Asst Plus when you're less than 40mph as you want to fit in quick for Traffic Jam like scenarios.

For lane keep assist post-40pmh, they really should ease into the lane change less aggressively. Hopefully we'll see a software update address it.
__________________
2020 G07 X7 M50i Tanzanite Blue II
2016 F80 M3 YMB-||- All M Performance Exterior/Interior
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 11:15 PM   #4
Waise
Private
7
Rep
52
Posts

Drives: BMW X7
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Washington State

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrovr View Post
Its scary the first time you use it and that lane change is like a NASCAR-type move Its likely better suited for the Driving Asst Plus when you're less than 40mph as you want to fit in quick for Traffic Jam like scenarios.

For lane keep assist post-40pmh, they really should ease into the lane change less aggressively. Hopefully we'll see a software update address it.

On highway, what is scarier is once you pass a vehicle, and now ready to come back to the right lane, as soon as you turn the blinkers, the car just makes a quick lane change right in front of the other vehicle. I am sure it checks for the safe distance, but still its unusually close. May be its how they do it in Autobahn Germany, but in the US its considered unusual and pisses off the other driver

I hope they fix that make especially on highway speeds.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 11:24 PM   #5
Waise
Private
7
Rep
52
Posts

Drives: BMW X7
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Washington State

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackerjack15 View Post
Yes. Mine was very aggressive and after software update (not sure number, will have to check) where they kept car overnight, it now lane changes quickly after turn signal press and decently smooth. It still has a little "swing" to it compare to how a human would do it slowly, but it works much better now imho.
I do know BMW has a couple of software updates released for 2019 X7 40i since my release (07/2019.39). I don't know if they fixed anything on this issue.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 07:03 AM   #6
jmciver
Captain
jmciver's Avatar
United_States
371
Rep
850
Posts

Drives: '17 M3 ZCP - STM, '05 M3 - IR
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: DMV

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
2005 BMW M3  [0.00]
So here is a question for those of you with this option.... Is the lane change by the "computer" really that aggressive/scary? Or does it just feel more aggressive/scary because it is a computer making the maneuver and not you, the human?

I know that when I drive, I will typically change lanes very deliberately, but I wouldn't consider it too aggressive like you are describing. However, when I am a passenger with my wife, who drives very passively compared to me, even her lane changes can feel a bit aggressive at times, just because I am not the one in control of the maneuver.

So in other words, is it merely a trust issue until you get used to the computer doing some of the driving on the highway? Also, can't you adjust the sensitivity/aggressiveness of the maneuvers the computer will make?
__________________
2017 Smoked Topaz Metallic ZCP F80 M3 - The Daily Street Monster
2005 Imola Red E46 M3 - TTFS Tuned, VF Engineering Supercharged, 560HP Track Prepped Monster, Yet Still Very Streetable
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 12:30 PM   #7
mitch57
Private
6
Rep
68
Posts

Drives: BMW X7
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Pacific Northwest

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
So here is a question for those of you with this option.... Is the lane change by the "computer" really that aggressive/scary? Or does it just feel more aggressive/scary because it is a computer making the maneuver and not you, the human?

I know that when I drive, I will typically change lanes very deliberately, but I wouldn't consider it too aggressive like you are describing. However, when I am a passenger with my wife, who drives very passively compared to me, even her lane changes can feel a bit aggressive at times, just because I am not the one in control of the maneuver.

So in other words, is it merely a trust issue until you get used to the computer doing some of the driving on the highway? Also, can't you adjust the sensitivity/aggressiveness of the maneuvers the computer will make?
Definitely more aggressive! I just took delivery of a custom build 2020 X7 about 2 weeks ago. It is way more aggressive than what the normal human changes lanes. I, for instance, usually take many car lengths to make the full lane change. The X7 does it in about 2 car lengths or sooner.

Pretty aggressive in my opinion...
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 03:03 PM   #8
jmciver
Captain
jmciver's Avatar
United_States
371
Rep
850
Posts

Drives: '17 M3 ZCP - STM, '05 M3 - IR
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: DMV

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
2005 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
So here is a question for those of you with this option.... Is the lane change by the "computer" really that aggressive/scary? Or does it just feel more aggressive/scary because it is a computer making the maneuver and not you, the human?

I know that when I drive, I will typically change lanes very deliberately, but I wouldn't consider it too aggressive like you are describing. However, when I am a passenger with my wife, who drives very passively compared to me, even her lane changes can feel a bit aggressive at times, just because I am not the one in control of the maneuver.

So in other words, is it merely a trust issue until you get used to the computer doing some of the driving on the highway? Also, can't you adjust the sensitivity/aggressiveness of the maneuvers the computer will make?
Definitely more aggressive! I just took delivery of a custom build 2020 X7 about 2 weeks ago. It is way more aggressive than what the normal human changes lanes. I, for instance, usually take many car lengths to make the full lane change. The X7 does it in about 2 car lengths or sooner.

Pretty aggressive in my opinion...
Sounds like my kind of driver..... But seriously, do you think you could eventually "trust" the computer? Even if the computer may drive more aggressively than a human (or you in this case), the one thing a computer should have over a human is consistency and accuracy - even with variable road and traffic conditions.
__________________
2017 Smoked Topaz Metallic ZCP F80 M3 - The Daily Street Monster
2005 Imola Red E46 M3 - TTFS Tuned, VF Engineering Supercharged, 560HP Track Prepped Monster, Yet Still Very Streetable
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:59 PM.




xbimmers
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST