BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Driving Assistance Plus Questions - Newbie

Yesterday, 09:00 AM   #1
MonumentBMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X7 40i

Driving Assistance Plus Questions - Newbie

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I'm a newbie to this forum, not to BMW.

I purchased a 2024 BMW X7 40i a month ago and recently drove from Tucson to Colorado Springs - Interstate 10 to I-40 to I-25.

I had the car in Driving Assistance Plus nearly all the time on the Interstate. I read comments such as the following on this forum and I don't understand why my car doesn't do hands free. After a few seconds the lights on the wheel and console blink yellow followed by red before I have to place my hands on the wheel before the beeping starts.
"100 mile + drive on Florida Interstate 95 today 100% PERFECT! Zero need to touch the wheel in moderate traffic. I don't drive Interstates often so this was my 1st chance to test after the last revision. As previously posted, the auto lane change feature is somewhat abrupt, but quick execution may be a plus before conditions change. I am impressed!"
Is there a setting I'm not aware of that allows me to drive hands free similar to how I drove my partner's Tesla?
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 12:33 PM   #2
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Assisted Driving Plus is hands-free, I think you meant you were in Assisted Driving since that requires the wheel to be touched every so often.

As far as Assisted Driving Plus goes, there is a setting to enable it so make sure you have it enabled. Also make sure the camera can see your eyes.
Attached Images

Yesterday, 01:18 PM   #3
MonumentBMW
United_States
Rep

Thank you for time in assisting me TurtleBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Assisted Driving Plus is hands-free, I think you meant you were in Assisted Driving since that requires the wheel to be touched every so often.

As far as Assisted Driving Plus goes, there is a setting to enable it so make sure you have it enabled. Also make sure the camera can see your eyes.
Thank you for time in assisting me TurtleBoy. I actually have the assisted driving plus turned on (please see pic). Perhaps I'm turning it on incorrectly via the steering wheel, although the car confirms it's in Assisted Driving Plus.

Name:  12.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  207.9 KB
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 01:27 PM   #4
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonumentBMW View Post
Thank you for time in assisting me TurtleBoy. I actually have the assisted driving plus turned on (please see pic). Perhaps I'm turning it on incorrectly via the steering wheel, although the car confirms it's in Assisted Driving Plus.
What do you mean by "not turning it on correctly"? Is it offering it to you? What do you do when it is offered? What version of iDrive do you have? I think starting with 07/2023 it no longer offers it but rather automatically goes into the Assisted Driving Plus from Assisted Driving when conditions are met and your hands are off the wheel. I'm sure someone with experience with it can chime in, I'm only going by what I read since I have iD7.
      Yesterday, 02:24 PM   #5
TechCTU
Major
Rep
Drives: 2025 BMW

I had this issue when I first picked my car up as well. It was setup in the menu properly as TurtleBoy showed but it was not working.

The quickest way i could find to see if it was functioning correctly was to verify if it was communicating with all systems.

First go to main home screen (nav screen on OS 8.5) and tap the screen somewhere on the map.

Next tap on suggestions, you should see assist availability on the menu. Tap that and you should see highways that it works on near you.

If assist it is not there then we can help with next steps. I did not have assist and had to take other steps to get it to work.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/6HuO-pjTxSQ

Last edited by TechCTU; Yesterday at 02:47 PM..
Appreciate 2
      Yesterday, 07:27 PM   #6
MonumentBMW
United_States
Rep

Big thanks to everyone that offered suggestions. For reasons unbeknownst to me, the assisted driving plus began working today after this morning's update. Woo-hoo!
Appreciate 1
TechCTU782.00
      Today, 07:59 AM   #7
streborx
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X7 M50i

There are a few of us who can't comprehend the fascination and obsession of sitting in the driver's seat and wanting to be a passenger. Why not just hand the keyfob to junior, and crawl into the back seat for a nap? It's disturbing that so many drivers are unaware of the limitations of driver assist systems, but are willing to entrust their safety and welfare to adaptive cruise control, lane keeping, collision avoidance and some marginally maintained highway line striping. And the excitement when assisted driving suddenly began working today when it was problematic yesterday? Don't expect it will work out so well when two of you are cruising toward each other at 70 mph relying on some sensors and software to avoid disaster.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 08:05 AM   #8
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by streborx View Post
There are a few of us who can't comprehend the fascination and obsession of sitting in the driver's seat and wanting to be a passenger. Why not just hand the keyfob to junior, and crawl into the back seat for a nap? It's disturbing that so many drivers are unaware of the limitations of driver assist systems, but are willing to entrust their safety and welfare to adaptive cruise control, lane keeping, collision avoidance and some marginally maintained highway line striping. And the excitement when assisted driving suddenly began working today when it was problematic yesterday? Don't expect it will work out so well when two of you are cruising toward each other at 70 mph relying on some sensors and software to avoid disaster.
It is likely just your misunderstanding of how the systems work, what they are intended to do, etc. They are driver assistance and not driver replacement. They provide for a much safer, less stressful, more relaxing driving experience. They do not replace the driver or the driver's attention to what is going on.
      Today, 08:57 AM   #9
streborx
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X7 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
It is likely just your misunderstanding of how the systems work, what they are intended to do, etc. They are driver assistance and not driver replacement. They provide for a much safer, less stressful, more relaxing driving experience. They do not replace the driver or the driver's attention to what is going on.
Yes - I understand this perfectly, but others seem to consider them human equivalents -- I do not. Driving inside the beltway on an expressway in any major city is an experience that I don't believe any collection of driver assistance technologies can ever morph into a safer, less stressful and more relaxing experience. Unfortunately, driving in these venues forces one to become part of the chaos, rather than remaining a traffic law compliant driver.

I'm not entirely a luddite. Some of the assist features I do appreciate, such as the adaptive cruise control, steering assist and blind spot monitoring. I just don't plan to be sitting on my hands, ever.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 09:03 AM   #10
skrontz
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 760iX, 2025 X7 M60i

Quote:
Don't expect it will work out so well when two of you are cruising toward each other at 70 mph relying on some sensors and software to avoid disaster.
I would actually trust these systems to make decisions a lot quicker and more consistently than most human drivers in the same situation.
Appreciate 1
      Today, 09:07 AM   #11
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Driving inside the beltway on an expressway in any major city is an experience that I don't believe any collection of driver assistance technologies can ever morph into a safer, less stressful and more relaxing experience. .
Obviously whether or not it provides that benefit depends on one's perspective, comfort level, expectations, etc. As one who has used it many times in those conditions I can definitely say the system provides it, other may not feel that way. That is why it is good to have the various driving assistance optional and one can choose to use, or not use, any one of them.