08-31-2015, 09:02 AM   #23
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Thanks Ozi. I'll try to find another 1M but I even made a video for my brother in law of the white one cold start and it's clearly louder and sustains the higher RPMs longer than current one. It's not a horrible issue but just really liked it. What are you driving now?
Nothing really; work-house and kids school are all 5-10 minutes walking distance to each other at a nice neighbourhood in Lisbon and I walk everywhere during the weekdays. Wife has a new Volvo XC60 8 speed auto, packed with goodies including a rear seat entertainment package, sometimes I drive it at week-ends or during voyages I consider it as sublime for safe&practical luxury family car purposes and arguably a better deal than similar BMW-Audi-Mercedes offerings. Don't miss driving in general but I miss the 1M all the time which was basically a precious toy for me.

But I sometimes find myself going to the configurator of Porsche for the Cayman GT4 or Boxster Spyder and spending quality time there!
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2015, 09:44 AM   #24
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo
Quote:
Thanks Ozi. I'll try to find another 1M but I even made a video for my brother in law of the white one cold start and it's clearly louder and sustains the higher RPMs longer than current one. It's not a horrible issue but just really liked it. What are you driving now?
Nothing really; work-house and kids school are all 5-10 minutes walking distance to each other at a nice neighbourhood in Lisbon and I walk everywhere during the weekdays. Wife has a new Volvo XC60 8 speed auto, packed with goodies including a rear seat entertainment package, sometimes I drive it at week-ends or during voyages I consider it as sublime for safe&practical luxury family car purposes and arguably a better deal than similar BMW-Audi-Mercedes offerings. Don't miss driving in general but I miss the 1M all the time which was basically a precious toy for me.

But I sometimes find myself going to the configurator of Porsche for the Cayman GT4 or Boxster Spyder and spending quality time there!
Glad you're still around! Yeah. GT4 does it for me more than many other Porsches. Please stay in touch and let me know if you make it to San Diego.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2015, 06:49 AM   #25
schmick325
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 1M

Mine does the loud wakeup call.

Its sounds so good i have no idea why anyone would put an after market exhaust on
Appreciate 1
      09-12-2015, 08:39 PM   #26
rad doc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M AW loaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmick325

Its sounds so good i have no idea why anyone would put an after market exhaust on
Because with maddad mids, cold startup is orgasmic. Seriously way better than stock. Best mod!
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2015, 08:49 AM   #27
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmick325 View Post
An aftermarket exhaust doesn't change the pre-programmed start-up procedure itself (with the rpm yo-yoing). It enhances the stock sound.

nachob: did your AW 1M feature the N55 midpipe ?

More generally, some scientific tech-talk about the cold-start sequence on vehicles: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...96890414001939
Purpose: attempting to reduce energy losses so that systems and components reach their intended operating temperature range as soon as possible after engine start.
      09-13-2015, 11:43 AM   #28
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
An aftermarket exhaust doesn't change the pre-programmed start-up procedure itself (with the rpm yo-yoing). It enhances the stock sound.

nachob: did your AW 1M feature the N55 midpipe ?

More generally, some scientific tech-talk about the cold-start sequence on vehicles: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...96890414001939
Purpose: attempting to reduce energy losses so that systems and components reach their intended operating temperature range as soon as possible after engine start.
No Art, both were bone stock. What's weird is that there is nothing really wrong. I can't really complain at the dealer. I tried talking to them about it and their eyes glazed over....to make matter worse, they don't see 1Ms hardly and much less for cold start so I wish there was something I could point at. The difference is small, maybe 200 RPM but the sound difference is huge between 1200-and 1400-1500 during cold start. Anyway, it's not a big deal but very odd. I'll look at the document link you gave me. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2015, 12:56 PM   #29
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Exhumed a 2011 thread about this topic. Check the second video in my comment #8 (no, that ain't my car) and compare with yours nachob.
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=558279

Different topic, but related to start-up sequence: drive straightaway or wait till the start-up sequence has finished (± 30 secs) ? Features some interesting comments:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=658347

By the way, maybe you already noticed that, when idling, the revs change ± 100rpm when you switch off/on the airco. Try it.

Almost off topic: a tech piece about exhaust system technology
http://www.epi-eng.com/piston_engine...technology.htm

Little bonus. Quick footage shot in 2014 by the notorious Dackelone (yup, that's his voice) at less than a mile from the BMW M HQ (Garching).

09-17-2015, 08:36 PM   #30
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
I'm guessing the Canadians have the cold start deactivated. I'm sure a coder can verify this. I'll probably have mine coded in a few weeks.

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2015, 08:12 AM   #31
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaddylo View Post
I'm guessing the Canadians have the cold start deactivated. I'm sure a coder can verify this. I'll probably have mine coded in a few weeks.
Let me know. Does you Canadian cold start seem milder than when you had the U.S. One?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2015, 08:18 AM   #32
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Let me know. Does you Canadian cold start seem milder than when you had the U.S. One?
To me it sounds like a hot start and not a cold start.

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2015, 09:52 AM   #33
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Both US and Canada have option S823 programmed: HEISSLAND-AUSFUEHRUNG ("hot climate version"). Canadian 1Ms have additional option L838 KANADA-AUSFUEHRUNG. I'd suggest to program that out of the vehicle option list, and confirm if the start-up revs are equal to before (ie US behavior).

Last edited by eeghie; 09-18-2015 at 09:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2015, 10:07 AM   #34
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeghie View Post
Both US and Canada have option S823 programmed: HEISSLAND-AUSFUEHRUNG ("hot climate version"). Canadian 1Ms have additional option L838 KANADA-AUSFUEHRUNG. I'd suggest to program that out of the vehicle option list, and confirm if the start-up revs are equal to before (ie US behavior).
Thank you. That sounds like the first real lead. So do dealers do coding only or is it something I can do with OBD tool?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2015, 05:21 PM   #35
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:
Thank you. That sounds like the first real lead. So do dealers do coding only or is it something I can do with OBD tool?
Dealers only do coding that the factory or the BMW aftermarket parts department prepare for them. For instance if you get the after market DAB or Sirius module, the dealer will push a button that will do the retrofit programming. An older US example is the aftermarket alarm. The dealer would perform the addition of the relevant option code only by pushing a start button.

Long story short: No dealer will be able (but they say they are not allowed to) to perform all kinds of easy (or hard) coding jobs that coding DIY-ers can do for themselves.

The good news is that the suggested removal of option code L838 can probably be done by most DIY coders (it's an easy job). As dear as the 1Ms are to most of us:
- Either check that your comfortable when anybody that does your coding. If I were not a DIY-er, I'd go with somebody with a professional attitude towards coding (so he'd ask money for it). As a DIY-er, technically I can't recommend anybody, but someone once graciously helped me while I was getting started and MDORPHN does recommend him: Mike Benvo
- Or if IT-stuff is a positive challenge to you: take your time to learn DIY via the obd2 connector. This is what I did using the 1M as a practice vehicle. It is a rewarding but time consuming personal hobby and unfortunately the more help you accept, the slower you'll learn.

Last edited by eeghie; 09-18-2015 at 05:27 PM..
Appreciate 0