BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > BMW M2 Competition - Beijing

04-27-2018, 12:28 PM   #89
boostspoon
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
Meh that was my take away with the time spent with an f80. Sounded bad, had some significant lag, but pulled nice on the top end. I'm not really tracking the car like 90% of this forum so for street I wouldn't say it's a *much better* motor. I am aware of the spec sheet that s55 enthusiasts like to bring up. But specs are just specs.
So reviews from previous owners of an S55 engine are less relavent because of their bias to step away. Reviews from current owners of the S55 are more relevant being that they would put their money back into an S55.

Obviously a previous owner of a S55 is going to continue kicking and screaming about the S55. Their points are valid and beaten to death already. Not sure what intices them or any N55 owners to come on the M2C sub-forum to debate. Maybe just insecurities with their current M2?
Appreciate 1
M-Pilot4859.00
      04-27-2018, 12:33 PM   #90
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostspoon View Post
Not sure what intices them or any N55 owners to come on the M2C sub-forum to debate. Maybe just insecurities with their current M2?
New sub-section exposing the haters.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 12:36 PM   #91
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pit1 View Post
Question to those of you stating "I'm getting the M2C" or "before I place my order"...

How many of you are actually in a position to order one in reasonable time? Maybe it's just my area but I'm looking at 18-24 month wait, sitting 13th on a list at my long-time dealer, and no response from others.
I'm first in line with a written purchase agreement on a large M certified dealer but I also have backup plans at other dealer. I expect to take delivery this fall but the wait isn't a problem for me as I still have a year left on my M4 lease.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 12:45 PM   #92
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

I realized this is subjective but I was behind a F80 yesterday and it sounded very M-like IMO, nothing out of the ordinary. I even asked my girl who is automotive-illiterate for her feedback, she said it sounded normal but sporty.

Me and everyone in the outside world, honestly have no idea what all the fuss is about in regards to the S55 and it supposed 'crappy' exhaust sound.

Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 12:46 PM   #93
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remonster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ska///235i View Post
Just when you take delivery of the M2C, a M2GT will be out

Bmw has been doing this for decades
Yeah, and that's OK. M2 Competition seems like just the right kind of car for me. Judging by the current M3s and M4s, the CS versions are a step too far for me since I drive a LOT of miles and wouldn't want to run Cup 2 tires and the GTS is way too extreme and track-oriented for my needs.
Agree, this car is more a real M2

Feel bad for m235i owners that switched to an M2...and now tue real thing came out
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 12:47 PM   #94
F87_LCI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB F87

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92ben View Post
Why all the hate on the new M2 from old M2 owners. The jealousy is real out here. The car has real M seats. Real M mirrors. Better brakes. Refreshed looks. And don't forget a much better, real M motor. Maybe it doesn't sound as good, but big deal. They finally made the M2 a real M car. Stop crying and start trading in soon lol.
A bit hypocritical wouldn't you say? You rail on current M2 owners for "throwing hate" as you say; but then you finish up your post with a passive aggressive jab of your own. If you're really concerned about everyone getting along, perhaps you should set an example rather than contributing. Just sayin'...
Appreciate 3
Yiruna393.50
ORIGIN M.3160.50
      04-27-2018, 12:50 PM   #95
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
What I find funny is that nobody forces these folks to sell their precious N55 M2s and buy an M2C, and yet they still come here to bitch about the looks or the engine. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Simple as that!

Oh btw, S55 isn't much better than N55. It's worlds better aside from the sound.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 12:52 PM   #96
kfscoll
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 MG M2 6MT, ‘15 MW X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92ben View Post
Why all the hate on the new M2 from old M2 owners. The jealousy is real out here. The car has real M seats. Real M mirrors. Better brakes. Refreshed looks. And don't forget a much better, real M motor. Maybe it doesn't sound as good, but big deal. They finally made the M2 a real M car. Stop crying and start trading in soon lol.
Why all the hate? Because of bullshit posts just like yours.

Drive an original M2 before you imply it isn't a "real M car." The fucking thing rips. Besides, I have no intention of throwing away loads of money just to get into something that very likely has incrementally better performance for my purposes (i.e. not tracking it).

Of course I'd prefer the new motor if it were a free upgrade. But the rest of it? The "real M seats" are fugly IMHO (the color bands in the center are just tacky), the mirrors look ridiculous on such a small car, and I really dislike the new front end. And, there's no more MGM -- and the Hockenheim Silver that replaces it is laughable.

So, if I didn't have to pay more for the S55, sure, I'd be in. But there are definitely things that are better about the N55 M2.

The "hate" comes from all the M2C fans who feel compelled to shit all over the N55 M2. I'm all for progress, but the existence of the M2C doesn't make the current M2 any less of an M car.

Last edited by kfscoll; 04-27-2018 at 12:58 PM..
Appreciate 3
F87_LCI1787.00
Yiruna393.50
Cavpilot2k1025.00
      04-27-2018, 01:04 PM   #97
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntzl View Post
What I find funny is that nobody forces these folks to sell their precious N55 M2s and buy an M2C, and yet they still come here to bitch about the looks or the engine. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Simple as that!

Oh btw, S55 isn't much better than N55. It's worlds better aside from the sound.
Worlds Better = 0.1s 0-60
Who knew!
      04-27-2018, 01:08 PM   #98
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Who knew!
Another expert judging the engine's performance and potential by its 0-60 time I'm just gonna let you educate yourself and not even gonna bother explaining the differences.
Appreciate 2
Poochie9104.50
hellrotm4142.50
      04-27-2018, 01:37 PM   #99
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Who knew!
You’re not going to enjoy the the magazine review data.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 03:07 PM   #100
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJetE90 View Post
Quote:
Who knew!
You're not going to enjoy the the magazine review data.
Quote:
Quote:
Who knew!
Another expert judging the engine's performance and potential by its 0-60 time I'm just gonna let you educate yourself and not even gonna bother explaining the differences.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJetE90 View Post
Quote:
Who knew!
You're not going to enjoy the the magazine review data.
I've owned both recently F82 and F87. I'm WELL aware of the differences thank you very much. Comment in tongue in cheek. Stop trying to look for a butt hurt battle where there isn't one.

Indeed I will very much enjoy the magazine review of the M2 Competition.
      04-27-2018, 03:31 PM   #101
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I've owned both recently F82 and F87. I'm WELL aware of the differences thank you very much. Comment in tongue in cheek. Stop trying to look for a butt hurt battle where there isn't one.

Well then I assume you are also well aware that 0-60 time is irrelevant. In fact, you can make the S55 less powerful than N55 with just a software tune. Would it make N55 a better engine than S55? Anyways, the potential of the S55 is well-known in general. We'll see if BMW did any hardware changes to prevent further tuning on M2C.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 03:41 PM   #102
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Well then I assume you are also well aware that 0-60 time is irrelevant. In fact, you can make the S55 less powerful than N55 with just a software tune. Would it make N55 a better engine than S55? Anyways, the potential of the S55 is well-known in general. We'll see if BMW did any hardware changes to prevent further tuning on M2C.
Hey man that's cool. I can see you know your stuff. I was probably just picking up semantics.

To me the N55 and S56 are WORLDS BETTER than engines from 20-30 years ago.

For me the S55 is superior in every way vs the N55, except exhaust note (my M4 was pre LCI and pre Conp)

However to me the improvements although many, are just incremental.

Anyway this gets dull real quick. New M2 has an S55 bazaar good luck to it. I'm a BMW fan and would very much love to return for an M2 CSL/GTS whatever the final version becomes, so yup I'm very much rooting for this car to be great in reviews and sales to prove the business case.
      04-27-2018, 06:13 PM   #103
vasi_M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Ex- 2015 M3... now '16 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M4ster Yoda View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasi_M3 View Post
Not gonna judge a book by its cover since there are already plenty on this thread that do, but anxious for the M2 vs M2CP reviews. If the difference is the same as M3 vs M3CP then it's a no brainer. Tick 2 the Tock!
But there is no difference between the M3 and M3 CP but ugly ass wheels and fast and furious seatbelts
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasi_M3 View Post
Not gonna judge a book by its cover since there are already plenty on this thread that do, but anxious for the M2 vs M2CP reviews. If the difference is the same as M3 vs M3CP then it's a no brainer. Tick 2 the Tock!
But there is no difference between the M3 and M3 CP but ugly ass wheels and fast and furious seatbelts

maybe you intended to be ironic when you made comments about something you see on the surface of the M3 CP?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 06:16 PM   #104
bartginger
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ska///235i View Post
Agree, this car is more a real M2

Feel bad for m235i owners that switched to an M2...and now tue real thing came out
That would be me. And I cannot afford to make another switch.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 06:19 PM   #105
boostspoon
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartginger View Post
That would be me. And I cannot afford to make another switch.
Not necessary - just save your money for your next car.

M2 > M235i, that's all that matters.
Appreciate 2
Yiruna393.50
      04-27-2018, 07:16 PM   #106
Yiruna
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, C63s, 718 Cayman GT4

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
My only gripe with the M2C coming out is all these other people coming out the woodwork repeatedly telling me my M2 isn't an M car and it's basically jack shit.

I have yet to see someone with a current M2 say anything other than their distaste for it, which I wouldn't exactly call "hate", "whining" or being insecure.

But what I have seen is a bunch of people basically shitting on the M2 and calling the owners those same things I said above. I can tune it out, but at the same time it's kind of dickish and just pushing buttons.

I have come to love my M2 with all the modifications I have done to it (and made it my own) and hell, if I wanted to jump ship I can, but alas, no mineral grey no dice (if individual colors were a thing, then shit maybe) But it doesn't make it any less of a car, or an M car at that, because a newer model came out.

I mean, in the end, Porsches are the ONLY REAL sports cars anyways.
      04-27-2018, 07:21 PM   #107
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiruna View Post
My only gripe with the M2C coming out is all these other people coming out the woodwork repeatedly telling me my M2 isn't an M car and it's basically jack shit.

I have yet to see someone with a current M2 say anything other than their distaste for it, which I wouldn't exactly call "hate", "whining" or being insecure.

But what I have seen is a bunch of people basically shitting on the M2 and calling the owners those same things I said above. I can tune it out, but at the same time it's kind of dickish and just pushing buttons.

No. Porsche's are rebadged VW beetles.
Appreciate 1
Yiruna393.50
      04-27-2018, 07:23 PM   #108
Yiruna
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, C63s, 718 Cayman GT4

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiruna View Post

No. Porsche's are rebadged VW beetles.
All cars are basically variations of the Jetta
      04-27-2018, 07:33 PM   #109
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfscoll View Post
Why all the hate? Because of bullshit posts just like yours.

Drive an original M2 before you imply it isn't a "real M car." The fucking thing rips. Besides, I have no intention of throwing away loads of money just to get into something that very likely has incrementally better performance for my purposes (i.e. not tracking it).

Of course I'd prefer the new motor if it were a free upgrade. But the rest of it? The "real M seats" are fugly IMHO (the color bands in the center are just tacky), the mirrors look ridiculous on such a small car, and I really dislike the new front end. And, there's no more MGM -- and the Hockenheim Silver that replaces it is laughable.

So, if I didn't have to pay more for the S55, sure, I'd be in. But there are definitely things that are better about the N55 M2.

The "hate" comes from all the M2C fans who feel compelled to shit all over the N55 M2. I'm all for progress, but the existence of the M2C doesn't make the current M2 any less of an M car.
So I have no dog in this fight, not buying either car. Just a bmw enthusiast. Looks like there are two forums now. I went to the N55 M2 section, saw no future M2C owners purposely going over there to troll multiple threads. But it is quite the opposite in M2C forum. Many N55 M2 owners choosing to come over to a car forum of a car they have no intentions of buying and keep throwing insults. Honestly if you don’t want to get trolled back, stay in your N55 safe place.
Appreciate 1
M-Pilot4859.00
      04-27-2018, 07:43 PM   #110
Sideshow
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2C

I don't get all the vitriol. I had a 18 M2 on order that I had to cancel due to some RL stuff making it impractical. I find the M2C coming out now and the timing will be perfect. Some stuff is better. I really like the idea of a detuned engine rather than one that was screaming at the top end. I'm not really liking the color choices as I HAD ordered MG.

If I had gotten the 18 M2 I'd be thrilled and not at all butt hurt about the M2C. I'm glad the C is out, but c'mon guys....they're both phenominal cars. Drive and be happy about it.
Appreciate 3
kfscoll208.50
Cavpilot2k1025.00
ORIGIN M.3160.50