BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum A Fair Comparison Of The X7 For Those Considering Upgrading From An X5

05-06-2019, 05:59 PM   #23
squeaky
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddwalton View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliu070 View Post
Did you drive one with the DHP package? I believe it makes a huge difference in terms of parking and low speed maneuvering.

I've also driven a base G05 and didn't notice the handling to be that different, granted I do don't toss these big SUVs into corners as most of the time we're in the SUV I've got 2 toddlers in car seats in the back and my wife who gets nauseous easily.
I did test drive a DHP X7 and it had the same top-heavy feel as the one without DHP that I wound up leasing. The suspension on the DHP isn't different than the standard suspension. On my 4 Series it makes a world of difference as it includes the Adaptive M suspension, but not so on the X7.
I didn't think DHP was available on 3/4 series cars, just 5 and up. Good to know.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 06:06 PM   #24
Penguino
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: A car.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xxxxx
Surprisingly I believe the X7 is about the same width or less than X5. I prefer it this way to make a more nimble driving experience.
I thought this deserved its own space for discussion as I read this type of comment a lot and we have dozens of perspective X7 buyers visiting daily.

The 2019 X7 is 3” wider, 2” taller, and 11” longer than the prior generation 2014-2018 X5 which is the model most of us have experienced and upgraded from.

The X7 does not handle nearly as well. “Nimble” is not a word I would use to describe it. The X7 does an admirable job of handling for its size but has significant body lean on local windy roads, cannot corner well at high speed, and is far more difficult to maneuver in a tight driveway. Even nose-in parking at the local shopping plaza is an adventure as my wife and I are two-weeks in and neither of us have yet to successfully park straight on the first try.

I am happy with our new luxury family hauler, but the X5 handles like a BMW whereas the X7 handles like a truck. It’s a very different driving experience.
Looks like you are trying to justify a reason why not to upgrade to a car you can't afford.

It's an gigantic car, it handles unbelievable well for its size. It's not supposed to be a full SUV that handles like than M3.
      05-06-2019, 06:45 PM   #25
tastes jigga
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 750i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeaky View Post
I didn't think DHP was available on 3/4 series cars, just 5 and up. Good to know.
He is confusing active roll stabilization (ARS) and dynamic damper control (DDC). The 3/4 does not offer ARS; it offers DDC which is standard on the X7.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 06:53 PM   #26
squeaky
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastes jigga View Post
Quote:
He is confusing active roll stabilization (ARS) and dynamic damper control (DDC). The 3/4 does not offer ARS; it offers DDC which is standard on the X7.
It always confuses matters when misinformation is distributed with such authority. Moving on, I think the Integral Active Steering option would most help agility at low speeds, i.e. parking.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 08:44 PM   #27
PIPE_DR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535xi,2014 x5, 2019 X7

A Fair Comparison Of The X7 For Those Considering Upgrading From An X5

I came from a 2014 X5 on 20" wheels and it was like "roughin it" compared to our x7, imo. Steering was way to sensitive. The slightest movement on the steering wheel would make passengers heads bobble It was a very stiff ride, which I hated. Felt every crack in the road right into my spine. Luxury seats felt like steel folding chairs. It was obv smaller, less girth and can see the comparison in length and width to a sedan, but over all it never drove like or could compare to my F10 msports handling. In sport mode I feel the X7 handles great for its size. In comfort it's very smooth. Im extremely happy with it and feel it's the best large vehicle I've ever owned and driven. My wife loves it as well. This is what a 7 passenger luxury SAV should drive like, IMO. So glad to be rid of F15.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 10:36 PM   #28
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

Quote:
Yup, the Adaptive M Suspension was also a standalone option on my 4 Series, best $500 I ever spent.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 10:44 PM   #29
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguino View Post
Looks like you are trying to justify a reason why not to upgrade to a car you can't afford.

It's an gigantic car, it handles unbelievable well for its size. It's not supposed to be a full SUV that handles like than M3.
Not sure what you mean by that, I upgraded from a '17 X5 to a '19 X7, I have plenty of money and can afford any vehicle I wish, and was/am fully aware of its handling challenges.

I read a lot of posts comparing the X7 to the new X5 but not a lot of posts comparing the X7 to the prior gen 2014-2018 X5. Logically, there are tens of thousands of X5 owners whose leases are in the process of expiring who are considering an X7 and who will end up in this forum seeking information. So I wanted to clear up the misconception that "the X7 is bigger but still handles like an X5". I had the Air Suspension on my X5 and the Air Suspension on my X7 and the two do not handle similarly at all.

You get the X7 because you want luxury, 7 passenger seating, and comfort. You get the X5 because you want traditional BMW handling. That is my opinion and if it is enlightening to others that is a good thing.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 01:10 AM   #30
sg13
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 540i XDrive M Sport

Quote:
Not sure what you mean by that, I upgraded from a '17 X5 to a '19 X7, I have plenty of money and can afford any vehicle I wish, and was/am fully aware of its handling challenges.

You get the X7 because you want luxury, 7 passenger seating, and comfort. You get the X5 because you want traditional BMW handling. That is my opinion and if it is enlightening to others that is a good thing.
People who say they have plenty of money usually don’t.
Good thing that you do...

And even X5 doesn’t have so called “traditional” BMW handling. Every SUV model to some degree lacks that sporty feeling we all want but compromise in that category is compensated by their utility. Remember they are called utility vehicle for a reason.

Enjoy your ride!
2022 BMW 540i XDrive MSport
2021 BMW X7 40i M Sport
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 01:25 AM   #31
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Yup, the Adaptive M Suspension was also a standalone option on my 4 Series, best $500 I ever spent.
I think his point is that you're comparing apples to oranges - Adaptive M/DHP in the 3/4 series isn't comparable to DHP in the larger BMW vehicle classes.

On the 3/4 Series, the $500 Adaptive M suspension package is a -20mm drop (if RWD) with modified a base suspension and allows you to adjust the electronic damping settings via the Driving Experience Control - comfort, sport buttons.

The Dynamic Handling Package on 3/4 was only Adaptive M suspension and Variable sport steering (VSS) for $1000.

Dynamic handling packages on the on 5, 7, X5 and X7 are more advanced. The X7 is more advanced than the new X5 (DHP is only available on the X5 50i) since it uses Active Comfort Drive with 4 air suspension struts with Electronic Damper Control (EDC) versus 4 steel springs with EDC on the X5 50i.

ACD system uses camera sensors to preview the road ahead of the vehicle and proactively make suspension adjustments to not only tighten up suspension settings for upcoming turns but to also increase straight-line comfort by actively countering oscillations triggered by road surface imperfections.

DHP also includes:
- front/rear electronic active stabilizers (EARS) versus conventional anti-roll bars
- regulated M rear axle differential lock (only on 50i)
- front steering via Integral Active Steering
- rear axle slip angle control (EARS)
- M sport brakes

If someone wanted the best handling X7, DHP is a no brainer at $3850 (40i) or $4750 (50i since it includes M rear differential)

Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 01:32 AM   #32
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
I had the Air Suspension on my X5 and the Air Suspension on my X7 and the two do not handle similarly at all.
True because the F15 X5 only had 1-axle air (rear) versus 2-axle air on the G05 X5 and G07 X7. Also the F15 used an integral rear axle IV versus 5 link rear for both G05/7.

Personal opinion, I think the X7 handles exceptional well for a very large vehicle - it drives smaller than it does and delivers a luxury comfortable ride even on 22". Add IAS and it's surprisingly nimble at low speed maneuvering and parking.

I had plans on turning my F15 for a 2020 G05 this fall but highly considering the X7 after extensive drives. It's just f'ing ballers for a Gen1 vehicle.

Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 04:45 AM   #33
ppagiga
Major
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:

Don’t be an a$$hole dude
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 06:19 AM   #34
Penguino
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I read a lot of posts comparing the X7 to the new X5 but not a lot of posts comparing the X7 to the prior gen 2014-2018 X5. Logically, there are tens of thousands of X5 owners whose leases are in the process of expiring who are considering an X7 and who will end up in this forum seeking information. So I wanted to clear up the misconception that "the X7 is bigger but still handles like an X5". I had the Air Suspension on my X5 and the Air Suspension on my X7 and the two do not handle similarly at all.

But the X7 is actually traditional BMW handing. It's in a different from now. Just like when the X5 came out in the 90s. "It's not a BMW". Well, it is. Just in SUV form.

The X7 is the same, your expectations were just too high. It does drive like a BMW. Compare that to the LX, GLS, RR, etc and it's a dream to drive.
      05-07-2019, 06:20 AM   #35
Penguino
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppagiga View Post
Quote:

Don’t be an a$$hole dude
It's a joke. Chill
      05-09-2019, 06:49 AM   #36
Tattooed
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: G07, G12, G30, F30

I've had the G05/X540 as a loaner while my wife's '18 540 sedan has been in for service and put about 1,500 miles on the loaner. The G05 does feel nimble, has good power, and a bumpy ride (loaner car, no options). My wife also had a '10 & '14 X5 which I loaded with all available options. I don't remember the ride in the '10 (M Sport) or '14 (no M Sport) being as "rough" as the G05.

I have the G07 with the DHP and the IAS is a must for me. Our last X5d had it and my wife also liked it. Makes maneuvering easy. For whatever reason one of the packages I ordered on the 5er wouldn't let us get the IAS and my wife reminds me of that every now and then.

She also reminds me I can't drive the X7 like I drove my G12. The X is "heavier" but only when really pushing it. My favorite 360° freeway on ramp, I'd get up around 50MPH+ in the G12, to the point where the front left tire was balding on the outside (Xdrive sedan).

I'm finally through the break-in period and when I took the same on-ramp in the X, I was getting close to 50, when the "safety" systems started kicking in and holding me back.

The X7 is definitely not a BMW sedan and can't be driven like a BMW sedan BUT it is a BMW and can be DRIVEN like a BMW (just not as hard?).

I've auto-crossed and tracked all my 7er sedans and am waiting for the day I can take the X7 out to do the same.

Every time I drive the company Ford Explorer, I'm reminded of what it lacks and what the BMW has and I wish the company car was an X7 (not an apples to apples comparison).

The X7 has a smooth, comfortable ride (longer wheelbase) and somewhat "nimble" for a large and heavy vehicle. The X5 is nimble, though I'm not liking the roughness of the ride (which may be helped by the 2-axel air suspension option). My wife is already talking about her next vehicle....which may be an X5 and I would be ok with that. I'm secretly hoping she will "take" my X7 and I'd get back in to a 7 sedan.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2019, 08:02 AM   #37
OtisX7
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X7 50i

Quote:
Are you coming from a large 7-passenger SUV like a Navigator or Land Rover? I can see how the X7 would compete or even dominate a handling competition in that segment, but to an X5 its a different story.
I am, coming from a GMC Yukon Denali. By I also drive my wife’s Audi Q7. I’m sure the X5 handles better, because physics. But the X7 handles really incredibly well to me, especially given the size, but even irrespective of size.
      05-11-2019, 09:34 AM   #38
mpop302
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliu070 View Post
Do you have the DHP? I found I have the opposite experience as you. The turning radius on the X7 seems magically small. Handles great for such a big car. Coming from a Cayenne S.
Hold up, the turning radius is listed as one of the largest in any segment. Larger than monsters like qx80, navigator and escalade. On par with the likes of the Chevy suburban

The x7 is a unibody design, so naturally it will out handle the body on frame trucks. Due to mass it will naturally be less nimble than the x5. Its sporty but in the end it’s a people mover. I think Bmw made a well balanced vehicle

Last edited by mpop302; 05-11-2019 at 09:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 02:54 PM   #39
xueju1121
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW iX M60

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpop302 View Post
Hold up, the turning radius is listed as one of the largest in any segment. Larger than monsters like qx80, navigator and escalade. On par with the likes of the Chevy suburban

The x7 is a unibody design, so naturally it will out handle the body on frame trucks. Due to mass it will naturally be less nimble than the x5. Its sporty but in the end it’s a people mover. I think Bmw made a well balanced vehicle
I think he is talking about IAS Equipped X7. With rear axis steering, the turning radius is almost the same as X3.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 09:10 PM   #40
mpop302
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by xueju1121 View Post
I think he is talking about IAS Equipped X7. With rear axis steering, the turning radius is almost the same as X3.
In that case it’s the same as the escalade, and expected for its size (and better than my 7 series haha)

Last edited by mpop302; 05-12-2019 at 09:21 PM..
Appreciate 0