BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum BMW X7 Reviews Compilation

03-20-2019, 06:41 AM   #23
ppagiga
Major
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post
And I don't even think it close. I think the X7 did a way better job on its release than the GL did with the X166 back in 2013. There's not much, if anything, I would favour the GL with over the X7. Like one of the reviews above said, BMW might be late to the party, but they arrived and didn't hold much back. Aside from a Range Rover, if you were looking for a full-size SUV, there's not much in this segment that competes with the package the X7 provides.
Because the GL/S is seven years old, it’s no comparison.

That being said, there is more space in the GLS, that’s the one thing I like about it
Appreciate 1
SW192441.50
      03-20-2019, 07:46 AM   #24
dappercivility
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

Quote:
Seems like BMW just can't win. It baffles my mind how people are looking for this to be a dynamic sports SAV/SUV. I feel like reviewers are too harsh and don't understand what they're reviewing. Instead of saying the X7 is not a dynamic, sporty SUV, they should be asking whether or not it's a better drive than the GLS and other competitors. The answer is likely to be yes. The X7 checks every other box in terms of what you're looking for in a 7-seater.

If BMW made this a sportier SUV, we would be hearing how nobody cares at this price point and something of its size. Now that BMW has focused on the people that will buy it, it's not sporty enough.

The X7 is by no means perfect, but some of these reviews are just not getting the purpose of this vehicle.
what most reviewers are comparing to the other more dynamic and sportier models within the bmw brand rather than competitors with the same category of vehicles. it seems to me to be this way.
      03-20-2019, 07:47 AM   #25
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Carwow

Enjoy!

Appreciate 2
Germanauto9665.50
mcsa65.00
      03-20-2019, 07:52 AM   #26
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppagiga View Post
Quote:
And I don't even think it close. I think the X7 did a way better job on its release than the GL did with the X166 back in 2013. There's not much, if anything, I would favour the GL with over the X7. Like one of the reviews above said, BMW might be late to the party, but they arrived and didn't hold much back. Aside from a Range Rover, if you were looking for a full-size SUV, there's not much in this segment that competes with the package the X7 provides.
Because the GL/S is seven years old, it’s no comparison.

That being said, there is more space in the GLS, that’s the one thing I like about it
I know it's an aging vehicle which is why I said the X7 today with what is available and what the demand is did a far better job than what Mercedes did back in 2013. Even back in 2013 l, I didn't think the X133 was anything impressive other than being a big Mercedes SUV.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 08:21 AM   #27
ppagiga
Major
Rep

Quote:
I know it's an aging vehicle which is why I said the X7 today with what is available and what the demand is did a far better job than what Mercedes did back in 2013. Even back in 2013 l, I didn't think the X133 was anything impressive other than being a big Mercedes SUV.
The 166 (fall 2012 to present) has been best in class for its entire life cycle, no small feat. No idea what you are saying still but regardless seems like we can all agree X7 is great

Last edited by ppagiga; 03-20-2019 at 08:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 08:38 AM   #28
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
The 166 (fall 2012 to present) has been best in class for its entire life cycle, no small feat. No idea what you are saying still but regardless seems like we can all
agree X7 is great
Best in class because there was nothing really available other than the Q7 and maybe the Range Rover if you want to consider it, but doesn't mean it was that impressive.

To be perfectly honest, if I were the targeted client for full size SUV's, I would have consider the Escalade over the GL but with the X7 now in the mix, it is at the top of the list for me. At least for now until the next-gen GLS is released.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 10:42 AM   #29
M3GymNut
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3Comp

Quote:
Seems like BMW just can't win. It baffles my mind how people are looking for this to be a dynamic sports SAV/SUV. I feel like reviewers are too harsh and don't understand what they're reviewing. Instead of saying the X7 is not a dynamic, sporty SUV, they should be asking whether or not it's a better drive than the GLS and other competitors. The answer is likely to be yes. The X7 checks every other box in terms of what you're looking for in a 7-seater.

If BMW made this a sportier SUV, we would be hearing how nobody cares at this price point and something of its size. Now that BMW has focused on the people that will buy it, it's not sporty enough.

The X7 is by no means perfect, but some of these reviews are just not getting the purpose of this vehicle.
One can argue that's the way the world in general is. Most individuals will complain to complain without looking at the true purpose of its identity or even complain without merit or logic. I usually for the most part take reviews with a grain of salt unless its a reviewer that doesn't have that mentality.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 10:42 AM   #30
TheVazha
Major
Rep
Drives: X5Mmmkay.

The grilles don't bother me at all. Looks rough in pictures but in person they work.
Attached Images

03-20-2019, 11:45 AM   #31
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:

Don't forget its cool to bash BMW in reviews, especially any new 'holy grail' 3 series or the dream ticket M3 new release! Sharpen those knives!
      03-20-2019, 12:33 PM   #32
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:

I'll be the first to criticize BMW for lazy driving dynamics but you are spot on when it comes to the X7. All that matters is if it drives better than competitors. At the end of the day probably 0% of people in this segment care about driving dynamics beyond a feeling of overall stability and good ride quality.

Car&Driver, of course, had to throw shade about a meaningless metric in this segment.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 12:35 PM   #33
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

This is a home run inside and out. The front has really grown on me.

I've seen some of the new X5s around and they look menacing in my rear view. The thin headlights coupled with the big kidneys is a sharp look!
Appreciate 3
themnmd1687.00
Bogey4me152.00
      03-20-2019, 07:23 PM   #34
goj
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII 340i 6-MT

Big cars need big grilles. It adds so much presence to the car.
BMW CCA Member #516012
2016 340i, Estoril Blue, Manual Transmission, MPE, MPBBK, HRE FF04
Instagram: @brandons340i
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 06:12 AM   #35
ppagiga
Major
Rep

Quote:
Best in class because there was nothing really available other than the Q7 and maybe the Range Rover if you want to consider it, but doesn't mean it was that impressive.

To be perfectly honest, if I were the targeted client for full size SUV's, I would have consider the Escalade over the GL but with the X7 now in the mix, it is at the top of the list for me. At least for now until the next-gen GLS is released.
Objectively speaking, BMW didn’t move the needle, they entered the fray. There’s a difference. They actually took a step back from the GL, their direct competitor, with regard to interior space. That being said, I love it. No vehicle is perfect but the exterior and interior are home runs to me and BMW killed it this gen. Also, I consider a 40i a great value proposition at 85k for example compared to a comparable GLS, Q7, Navi, etc. If they moved the needle, it’s with regard to value.

I own a g05. G07 incoming. I have had a Yukon, Escalade, three Ranges, a Q7. And I have shopped everything under the sun in this genre, exhaustively, for two decades. Speaking from experience, the difference between a good and great seven seater is vast. The GL has always been great. The rest are good and very compromised. The Americans make great truck based people haulers with vast amounts of room inside that can be dressed up with leather and chrome. They don’t drive like the Q7, X7 and GLS., though. Entirely different experience. I once considered them competitors but stopped a decade ago after having put 10s of 1000s of miles on both. Apples and oranges. Different leagues.
Appreciate 2
SaintD4.00
Vivek.1363.50
      03-21-2019, 08:52 AM   #36
Kr0m3assass1n
kr0m3assass1n
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X7 M50i

Garage List
I'm really liking that M Sport front fascia on the X7. Makes that abomination of a grin (grill) manageable at least.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 09:06 AM   #37
ppagiga
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVazha View Post
The grilles don't bother me at all. Looks rough in pictures but in person they work.
definitely gotta black out the 2060 model year grill. shade too large otherwise.

Last edited by ppagiga; 03-22-2019 at 03:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 03:57 PM   #38
ppagiga
Major
Rep

Autoweek raises some valid points re tires

https://autoweek.com/article/car-rev...drive50i-guise
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 07:42 PM   #39
mose121
Humanist
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 ZCP/F31 330i M Sport

Quote:
Autoweek raises some valid points re tires

https://autoweek.com/article/car-rev...drive50i-guise
Well, the standard wheels on the M Sport Package come with all seasons on a smaller diameter wheel. If I were buying it, the 22" upgrade would be a must, and I'd be replacing the run flats immediately with non-RFT high performance summer tires. The 21-22 inch run flats are likely a big contributor to the way it feels. And a 285 width run flat tire on a 22 inch wheel is always going to make a good bit of noise. The way I drive, all season tires would be squealing in a lot of turns, and that's super annoying. I'm not most people, but a summer performance tire is a necessity for me even on the most mundane vehicles. Just like we put dedicated winter tires on every car. I would bet the X7 handles better than any competitor in its class, assuming it has the right tires.
      03-23-2019, 05:37 AM   #40
milpar34
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3 (SO/BLK)

Initial Consumer Reports

https://apple.news/AJ71cD74bSiioMCKfYVoi3Q
2008 E60 528i - Space Grey / BLK (RETIRED)
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 02:15 PM   #41
ppagiga
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mose121 View Post
Well, the standard wheels on the M Sport Package come with all seasons on a smaller diameter wheel. If I were buying it, the 22" upgrade would be a must, and I'd be replacing the run flats immediately with non-RFT high performance summer tires. The 21-22 inch run flats are likely a big contributor to the way it feels. The way I drive, all season tires would be squealing in a lot of turns, and that's super annoying. I'm not most people, but a summer performance tire is a necessity for me even on the most mundane vehicles. Just like we put dedicated winter tires on every car. I would bet the X7 handles better than any competitor in its class, assuming it has the right tires.
Yeah they just said 22 inch summers are loud, basically, but that the 21s are prob fine. It was more a summer/all season point they were making, not a run flat / non run flat.

I’m with you. Going 22s and then dedicated winter set up tbd
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 10:33 PM   #42
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeerfield View Post
for me the msport trim is the best trim to help with the kidney grills. I saw it at my dealer and it looks amazing. Its such a large SUV and has a great presence on the road. THAT is what BMW wants.

Looking forward to the Straight Pipes review.

As for a dynamic sporty suv X7, we'll have to wait for the X7M Competition Shadow Edition mXdrive CS
Ooooh, take my money, please
And road trip journal to Denali and the Arctic Circle here in this thread!
Appreciate 1
JDBrown62.50
      05-27-2019, 03:30 PM   #43
rogress
Registered
Rep
Drives: Dodge Dakota

For those that are Consumer Reports subscribers, they have completed their review of the X7. They rated it #1 of the large luxury SUVs they have tested thus far. (in order: BMW X7, Toyota Land Cruiser, Infiniti QX80 , Lincoln Navigator, Buick Enclave, Cadillac Escalade)
Appreciate 1
Wild Blue3676.50
      05-28-2019, 02:25 PM   #44
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

X7 comparison vs. Range Rover Discovery vs. Volvo XC90

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/bmw/x7...-vs-volvo-xc90

They placed RR 1st, X7 2nd

Last edited by Wild Blue; 05-28-2019 at 02:34 PM..
Appreciate 1
mcsa65.00