BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition BEST way to LOSE weight

03-27-2020, 04:50 PM   #221
1MOREMOD
2018 track days - 0 ridge 1:52:24 pacific 1:33:30
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Uh sort of, exercise matters because the amount you do dictates what your bmr will be so if it changes daily so does your bmr.
Appreciate 1
      03-29-2020, 03:04 PM   #222
AmberOtremba
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i Sedan

Start thinking about coronavirus and don't eat because of the risk of short of food supply (on a lighter note)

Go with a healthy diet, drink more water, and some exercise.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 03:25 PM   #223
Moisture
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 Mazda 6, 2020 Lexus NX300

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Uh sort of, exercise matters because the amount you do dictates what your bmr will be so if it changes daily so does your bmr.
There's more to it than that. Weight lifting causes your body to practically demand only healthy food in abundance. If done right, you will find that you will start to reject grains, greasy and sugary foods completely.

I'm 6ft3, about 220LB (mostly muscle) and have been training consistently for about a year and a half. I find that it is a struggle to consistently eat throughout the day to the point where I feel satisfied and full. I rarely ever have to watch what I am eating or how much of it unless we're talking about unhealthy stuff such as grains. Bread, rice, pasta.. etc. I focus on eating a large amount of various nuts and seeds daily, fruits, veggies, lots of turkey/chicken and seafood. I'd say my diet is mostly good. On average I eat grains only once a week or so.

The best way to maintain healthy weight without being overly anal on tracking calories is focus on eating a large healthy breakfast everyday and get into weight lifting.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 05:21 PM   #224
1MOREMOD
2018 track days - 0 ridge 1:52:24 pacific 1:33:30
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Yeah I'm 225 and 6 foot been powerlifting and now bodybuilding for 30 plus years. I can gain or lose weight at will. My problem is gaining size not losing. Sitting around doing nothing I dont have desire to eat.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 06:33 PM   #225
ny325
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E90

Discipline.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 04:58 PM   #226
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Yeah I'm 225 and 6 foot been powerlifting and now bodybuilding for 30 plus years. I can gain or lose weight at will. My problem is gaining size not losing. Sitting around doing nothing I dont have desire to eat.
Same here except for height. I can go up or down in weight with ease. I used to go really heavy in tbe off-season, then single digit bf in the summer......but as I have aged I find that I prefer to just stay in shape year round.
      04-08-2020, 08:31 AM   #227
Sternshade
World Changer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

I've gone through all this struggle with a weight loss. Well, what worked really good for me was:
  • increase the NEAT activity and walking at least 8k steps daily
  • minimize regfined carbs or at least substitute wheat wherever is possible
  • maintain at least 3 hours between meals with no snacks

Also I've mentioned in another thread that I'm currently doing a 4 minute exercise every 3-4 hours.
      04-10-2020, 06:59 PM   #228
Really_fat_ninja
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5

Eat on a deficit
      04-18-2020, 05:14 AM   #229
advrider6510
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, F80 M3, Ford Mustang

Vegetarian diets can promote weight loss because they focus on nutrient-dense, low-calorie foods like fruits, vegetables, whole grains, nuts, seeds and soy. Vegan diets go even further and cut out calorie-rich foods like cheese. But being vegetarian doesn't automatically mean consuming fewer calories..still it might help!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2020, 07:15 AM   #230
swomerva
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 435i Gran Coupe

Intermittent fasting as many days as you can helps a lot. Eat the same amount of calories, just during an 8 hour period. For example, donít consume any calories after 6:00PM and donít eat the next day until 10:00AM. Drink plenty of water. It increases your natural HGH production and overall I feel a lot better if I do it regularly.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2020, 11:41 AM   #231
arkie6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Here is my input. Take it for what it is worth. People need to get over the idea that fat gain or loss is just a simple math problem (calories in vs. calories out). The human body is way more complex than many make it out to be. Hormones play a significant part in determining whether your body is in fat storing or fat burning modes, and the foods you eat and when you eat greatly affects your fat storing vs. burning hormones. High insulin levels promote fat storage and block fat burning. Sugars and starches which readily convert to glucose once consumed along with frequent eating and snacking will raise insulin levels unless you are very active. For many people, the way to lose fat is to greatly reduce your intake of sugars and starches and reduce the frequency of eating. This also reduces insulin levels which has many other health benefits.

I'm in my mid 50's and have been following a mostly ketogenic diet and intermittent fasting for the past ~16 months. I'm down ~50 pounds and have been holding my weight steady and gaining some muscle the past 4 months or so through increased workouts. I have corrected my elevated blood sugars and some digestive issues I was having. I'm on zero medications and my blood pressure and blood sugar levels are now normal. And I don't feel deprived. I eat lots of green vegetables and high quality meats and eggs. I generally go 18-22 hours between meals and either eat one meal a day (OMAD) or one small meal plus a regular meal. It works for me.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt7240.00

05-03-2020, 03:54 PM   #232
dreamingat30fps
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 C7, 2017 F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkie6 View Post
Here is my input. Take it for what it is worth. People need to get over the idea that fat gain or loss is just a simple math problem (calories in vs. calories out). The human body is way more complex than many make it out to be. Hormones play a significant part in determining whether your body is in fat storing or fat burning modes, and the foods you eat and when you eat greatly affects your fat storing vs. burning hormones. High insulin levels promote fat storage and block fat burning. Sugars and starches which readily convert to glucose once consumed along with frequent eating and snacking will raise insulin levels unless you are very active. For many people, the way to lose fat is to greatly reduce your intake of sugars and starches and reduce the frequency of eating. This also reduces insulin levels which has many other health benefits.

I'm in my mid 50's and have been following a mostly ketogenic diet and intermittent fasting for the past ~16 months. I'm down ~50 pounds and have been holding my weight steady and gaining some muscle the past 4 months or so through increased workouts. I have corrected my elevated blood sugars and some digestive issues I was having. I'm on zero medications and my blood pressure and blood sugar levels are now normal. And I don't feel deprived. I eat lots of green vegetables and high quality meats and eggs. I generally go 18-22 hours between meals and either eat one meal a day (OMAD) or one small meal plus a regular meal. It works for me.
I'm a fat bastard (like actual fat fat, not just want to lose a few pounds so I can get abs) and have tried all kinds of diets with lack luster results. There was only one time at my fatest almost 300 lbs I started counting calories and went down to like 240. This was probably like 7 years ago. I have slowly crept up averaging around 270lbs. I have tried counting calories again, but I just don't stick with it. It's very hard especially when we are traveling to calculate calories so it ends up being a pretty sloppy guesstimate and I'm usually hungry while on the diet.

With this whole stay at home restaurants closed and being bored out of my mind I decided to try eating low carb. This has been hard for me in the past because I'm a big pasta and rice eater. Pretty much every meal except breakfast involves pasta or rice or bread. Although rice is my biggest nemesis.

Anyways I have found recipes online for cauliflower rice, pasta from zucchini etc. Luckily my gf can cook very well and has made all kinds of crazy good stuff like some dumplings made with cabbage instead of dough. So far it's been maybe a month that I have been eating this way. I have lost 8-9lbs so far, however that is not the main thing.

I have been having a lot of issues with like pressure on my chest, pain on the right side. I have been to every doctor, primary, cardiologist, pulmonologist etc. Had all kinds of test done, one doctor gave up and said it was probably anxiety or something mental (since it started around the time my father died), inhalers, medications etc nothing helped.

Since I started eating low carb it has been like a miracle cure. All of those issues have gone away. Honestly I'm in shock and scared it's just some temporary thing, but that alone is reason enough to continue eating this way. I am also never hungry, in fact a lot of the time I'm not hungry even though I may have only had 1 meal that day. It really does seem too good to be true which scares me because I actually feel great!
Appreciate 1
arkie6359.00

05-04-2020, 05:38 AM   #233
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkie6 View Post

Nice...someone that knows what they are talking about. Insulin resistance is a killer when trying to lose. Insulin is a "Storage" hormone and if it is present, your body will not release anything. Insulin and Glucagon play a big role.

Just do some research into "P" ratio. Partitioning ratio is the effect how how good your insulin sensitivity response is.

Macros matter....but Micros matter just as much.
      05-07-2020, 07:16 AM   #234
chassis
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 X3, M-B GLE350W4

Garage List
Seems like a good time in the thread to refresh the notion that calories in must be less than calories out for weight to be lost. Thatís all there is to it.

Exercise is not strictly required, beyond daily living movement.

Conclusion: weight loss is dietary discipline endeavor

Last edited by chassis; 05-07-2020 at 09:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 12:16 PM   #235
uniqueMR
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post

90% agreed. 10% goes to moving around/moderate exercise.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 11:00 AM   #236
HallieCotrell
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 Series

It is the toughest task especially when you have plenty of work pending and can't go with strict dieting. I am talking about my situation. Anyways, I think you should try 16:8 Diet. It is basically intermittent dieting where you eat within 8 hours and don't eat anything for the next 16 hours. Also cut off your intake of sugar, carbohydrates and junk food etc. Take more water and hopefully, we will witness good results.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 01:20 AM   #237
arkie6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by uniqueMR View Post
90% agreed. 10% goes to moving around/moderate exercise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by uniqueMR View Post
Hello ALL,

I am trying to lose weight from past 18 months. With no luck

Weight: 195lbs
Body Fat: 30%
Height: 5'9"
Fat Deposits: lower belly, lower back, love handles, face/chin

So from 2 weeks, I have been aggressive and started the following routine:

Treadmill: Morning and Evening (total of 800 calories burn/day) for 5 days/week. So total I am burning about 3500-4000 calories a week on treadmill.
Weight-lifting: once a week, burning 500 calories.
Give and take: I am burning around 4000 calories per week combined.

Breakfast: oatmeal/milk/nuts/peanut butter/honey, about 350 calories.
Lunch: pretty heavy lunch mix of meat or poultry, rice or bread, about 400-700 calories.
Dinner: snacking, about 200-300 calories.

I really want to get lean, fit, healthy, athletic body and be around 170lbs with body fat of 20-23%.

Please advice, comment. I am really struggling in losing 20 lbs.
THANKS!!!
uniqueMR, it has now been over 1.5 years since you started this thread and posted this. What are your results? What worked for you?

Last edited by arkie6; 05-17-2020 at 12:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 09:07 PM   #238
joyjoy22
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 2014

Portion control works for me, in losing weight aside from working out thrice a week.
Appreciate 1
chassis314.50

05-27-2020, 11:51 PM   #239
BrettKA7
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F22 M240i

Iíve struggled with weight all my life. I was anywhere from a little chubby to obese from probably 8 years old until 18. When I was 18, I dropped from 250 to 160. Then creeped up to 180 the next 5 years. From 23 to 25, I gained a whopping 90+ lb and for the first time became ďmorbidly obeseĒ for my height.

Iíve now lost 93 lb and Iím back to an even 180. I still plan to lean out a bit but Iím much, much happier had my Apple Watch rarely reminds me to ďbreatheĒ like it did all the time at 273 lb (my highest).

The first time I lost weight, I did the ďDr. Perricone 3 day dietĒ but for like 5 months lol. I lost weight insanely fast. However, at 25, that diet no longer worked for me. This time around it was simple calories in, calories out. At this point my body hurts from inactivity and I feel best getting at least 1 hour of exercise per day.

Happy to answer any questions!
Attached Images

rebekahb484.00

05-28-2020, 01:47 PM   #240
uniqueMR
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911

Appreciate 0