BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum BMW X7 testing using modified 7 Series prototype

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-14-2014, 03:04 PM   #23
yet.another.id
Registered
1
Rep
3
Posts

Drives: 328i
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Is that the expected release date - June 2016? I have heard anything from 2015 to 2017.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2014, 03:24 PM   #24
Inablur
Private First Class
161
Rep
178
Posts

Drives: Silber Bimmer
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Johannesburg

iTrader: (0)

sorry if I sound like a dick but I dont really see the point....
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2014, 04:20 PM   #25
Boss330
Brigadier General
Boss330's Avatar
Norway
1009
Rep
4,836
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Norway, Scandinavia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inablur
sorry if I sound like a dick but I dont really see the point....
A lot of people didn't see the point with the Porsche Cayenne either... But it sells like cupcakes and is a HUGE (pun intended) profit maker for Porsche...
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2014, 01:28 AM   #26
Inablur
Private First Class
161
Rep
178
Posts

Drives: Silber Bimmer
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Johannesburg

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
A lot of people didn't see the point with the Porsche Cayenne either... But it sells like cupcakes and is a HUGE (pun intended) profit maker for Porsche...
Its just that there is almost an X - vehicle for every series. All we are missing is an x2 now. The porsche cayenne fits right in with the x5 and ML segment. Do we really need anything bigger than that? Its just that BMW are producing so many cars that not only is it diluting the brand. but the core elements that made bmw's stand above the rest. Nowadays we have mercs and audis that drive better than bmws and thats what Im essentially getting at. The company is becoming like toyota for people with money (and i thought that was a job for lexus)
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2014, 04:16 AM   #27
ron_jeremy
Captain
ron_jeremy's Avatar
Norway
461
Rep
953
Posts

Drives: 13' F25 X3 20d & 16' i3
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Norway

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
That is because it is an old X5 prototype.
The X7 is not using its actual body yet. But will soon.

There is some extended X5 mules heading to Spatanburg...@ @Palbay be mindful...

Very soon all X vehicles will be offered with standard and extended wheelbases with up to seven seats. Starting with the X1 and then the X3.

This is the latest X7 render. But do not be alarmed. This is not the actual car.
Its just an extended X5.
But the X7 is not a bigger car in size than the current F15, but more premium?
Or have i gotten it wrong?
About the L sized version, very intresting...
I guess we're talking about 2017-18, since the E84 and F25 is not beeing replaced until then.
__________________
3 series: E30: 89 325i, E36: 92 325iC, 94 320iC, 96 320i Convertible, 94 320iaC, E46: 99 320ia, E90: 06 318i Le mans, E91: 07 318dt
5 series: E39: 97 520ia, 01 530Dat, E61: 09 520Dat
X series: E83 05 X3 2.0d, E84 10' X1 2.0 X-drive DA, F25 13' 2.0da X-drive.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2014, 05:50 AM   #28
Dackelone
European Editor
Dackelone's Avatar
Germany
9436
Rep
23,008
Posts

Drives: N54 e82
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bayern, Germany

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron_jeremy View Post
But the X7 is not a bigger car in size than the current F15, but more premium?
Or have i gotten it wrong?
The X7 will be bigger than the current X5. Both in size and be able to carry 7 people in comfort.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2014, 07:00 AM   #29
Boss330
Brigadier General
Boss330's Avatar
Norway
1009
Rep
4,836
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Norway, Scandinavia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inablur View Post
Its just that there is almost an X - vehicle for every series. All we are missing is an x2 now. The porsche cayenne fits right in with the x5 and ML segment. Do we really need anything bigger than that? Its just that BMW are producing so many cars that not only is it diluting the brand. but the core elements that made bmw's stand above the rest. Nowadays we have mercs and audis that drive better than bmws and thats what Im essentially getting at. The company is becoming like toyota for people with money (and i thought that was a job for lexus)
The same sentiments that Porsche fans made when they introduced the Cayenne, Macan and Panamera...

Diluting the brand or not, BMW probably looks at Audi, Merc and Porsche and see that they make a good profit by expanding their model range.

Audi has:
Q3
Q5
Q7

MB has:
G-Class – Sports Utility Vehicle (SUV)
GL-Class – Sports Utility Vehicle (SUV)
GLA-Class – Sports Utility Vehicle (SUV)
GLB-Class – Sports Utility Vehicle (SUV)
GLK-Class – Sports Utility Vehicle (SUV)
M-Class – Sports Utility Vehicle (SUV)
R-Class – Multi Purpose Vehicle (MPV)

That BMW expands their model range into X3, X4, X5, X6 and X7 isn't such a big deal IMO. In fact, it would have been a bigger problem if BMW was stuck in the past because of old rigid principles that meant they could only make sedans. Old dinosaurs that can't adapt to a changing market tend to disappear after a while... If the market wants premium SUV's, and are willing to pay, then BMW has to look into those opportunities. Even Porsche decided they had to this. And BMW isn't as exclusive and premium as Porsche is. BMW is a mass manufacturer and profit (short and long term) is what the shareholders want.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2014, 07:20 AM   #30
Inablur
Private First Class
161
Rep
178
Posts

Drives: Silber Bimmer
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Johannesburg

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
The same sentiments that Porsche fans made when they introduced the Cayenne, Macan and Panamera...

Diluting the brand or not, BMW probably looks at Audi, Merc and Porsche and see that they make a good profit by expanding their model range.

Audi has:
Q3
Q5
Q7

MB has:
G-Class – Sports Utility Vehicle (SUV)
GL-Class – Sports Utility Vehicle (SUV)
GLA-Class – Sports Utility Vehicle (SUV)
GLB-Class – Sports Utility Vehicle (SUV)
GLK-Class – Sports Utility Vehicle (SUV)
M-Class – Sports Utility Vehicle (SUV)
R-Class – Multi Purpose Vehicle (MPV)


That BMW expands their model range into X3, X4, X5, X6 and X7 isn't such a big deal IMO. In fact, it would have been a bigger problem if BMW was stuck in the past because of old rigid principles that meant they could only make sedans. Old dinosaurs that can't adapt to a changing market tend to disappear after a while... If the market wants premium SUV's, and are willing to pay, then BMW has to look into those opportunities. Even Porsche decided they had to this. And BMW isn't as exclusive and premium as Porsche is. BMW is a mass manufacturer and profit (short and long term) is what the shareholders want.
Touche...lol
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2014, 09:58 AM   #31
Boss330
Brigadier General
Boss330's Avatar
Norway
1009
Rep
4,836
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Norway, Scandinavia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inablur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
The same sentiments that Porsche fans made when they introduced the Cayenne, Macan and Panamera...

Diluting the brand or not, BMW probably looks at Audi, Merc and Porsche and see that they make a good profit by expanding their model range.

Audi has:
Q3
Q5
Q7

MB has:
G-Class Sports Utility Vehicle (SUV)
GL-Class Sports Utility Vehicle (SUV)
GLA-Class Sports Utility Vehicle (SUV)
GLB-Class Sports Utility Vehicle (SUV)
GLK-Class Sports Utility Vehicle (SUV)
M-Class Sports Utility Vehicle (SUV)
R-Class Multi Purpose Vehicle (MPV)


That BMW expands their model range into X3, X4, X5, X6 and X7 isn't such a big deal IMO. In fact, it would have been a bigger problem if BMW was stuck in the past because of old rigid principles that meant they could only make sedans. Old dinosaurs that can't adapt to a changing market tend to disappear after a while... If the market wants premium SUV's, and are willing to pay, then BMW has to look into those opportunities. Even Porsche decided they had to this. And BMW isn't as exclusive and premium as Porsche is. BMW is a mass manufacturer and profit (short and long term) is what the shareholders want.
Touche...lol
Well in fact your view might be just as valid as mine. You are not alone in feeling that all the SUV's we see are diluting the sporty brands...

But I guess it's about making a profit
Appreciate 1
      10-15-2014, 12:47 PM   #32
aas5
Captain
128
Rep
796
Posts

Drives: 2020 X7 M50
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
Well in fact your view might be just as valid as mine. You are not alone in feeling that all the SUV's we see are diluting the sporty brands...

But I guess it's about making a profit
I think it is important to give people as many choices as possible to be able to stay with the brand they grew to like. It would be nice to have and at least in the US there will be a robust market for an x7. I see GLs and Escalades all the time here. I can't say I am very excited about the line up of BMW growing so much in the last two years - often with limited visual difference between the series 2, 3 and 4 models - but there is a clear demand for a larger BMW SUV that can comfortably carry 7 people which an x5 can't fulfill.
__________________
2020 X7 M50 White Mineral with Ivory & Blue
Sold: 2017 X6M Long Beach Blue with Mugello Red, 2014 X6M Monte Carlo Blue with Mugello Red, 2011 X6 5.0 Black on Black, 2008 E350 4Matic Silver, 2006 Infiniti M45 Diamond Graphite
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2014, 01:08 PM   #33
Inablur
Private First Class
161
Rep
178
Posts

Drives: Silber Bimmer
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Johannesburg

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aas5 View Post
I think it is important to give people as many choices as possible to be able to stay with the brand they grew to like. It would be nice to have and at least in the US there will be a robust market for an x7. I see GLs and Escalades all the time here. I can't say I am very excited about the line up of BMW growing so much in the last two years - often with limited visual difference between the series 2, 3 and 4 models - but there is a clear demand for a larger BMW SUV that can comfortably carry 7 people which an x5 can't fulfill.
And not to forget that the driving 'feel' and some instances dynamics are also being sacrificed in the process. They are too busy focusing on finding every possible niche and producing vehicles to fill such, meanwhile forgetting the fundamentals of why we love BMW as a brand.

As Boss330 said... its all about making a profit.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2014, 01:17 PM   #34
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Twix's Avatar
Canada
408
Rep
1,759
Posts

Drives: 2002 LR Disco
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
No business is in business to lose money. That being said, the brand dilution of BMW is getting scary real, or real scary. The feel of the new cars is getting softer and less confidence inspiring. I feel BMW, while keeping up with the Jones', is losing sight of the principles in which their company was founded on.

I believe the X7 will sell like hotcakes. As others have noted, there are tons of Escalades, Excursions and other 7 seat premium SUVs on the market.

Now all they need to do is make their cars fun to drive again. (Read figure out electric steering feel).
__________________
2016 M2 - Sold
2014 X1 - Sold
2002 Land Rover Discovery II - 3" lift & 33s
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2014, 02:45 PM   #35
secretsquirrel
Colonel
secretsquirrel's Avatar
91
Rep
2,255
Posts

Drives: 335i nFifty4LiFe
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: land of the squirrel

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inablur View Post
sorry if I sound like a dick but I dont really see the point....
How could you not see the point when the desire for the bigger SUVs is evident? You're acting like BMW is forging into a new and unproven market.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2014, 03:25 PM   #36
jbeene
First Lieutenant
jbeene's Avatar
Canada
22
Rep
323
Posts

Drives: 16 435i GC
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Vancouver

iTrader: (1)

They've taken so long to come out with an X7 that my kids will be off to University and I won't need one.

Made do with several X5's over the years - tried a Toyota Sequoia for a few years but going from an M3 to a Toyota to drive to the cottage wasn't worth the extra space. Decided to pack less and heck I was comfortable…
__________________
16 435i xdrive Msport MPerformance 2 Ind Azurite on Opal
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2014, 03:27 PM   #37
jbeene
First Lieutenant
jbeene's Avatar
Canada
22
Rep
323
Posts

Drives: 16 435i GC
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Vancouver

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twix View Post
No business is in business to lose money. That being said, the brand dilution of BMW is getting scary real, or real scary. The feel of the new cars is getting softer and less confidence inspiring. I feel BMW, while keeping up with the Jones', is losing sight of the principles in which their company was founded on.

I believe the X7 will sell like hotcakes. As others have noted, there are tons of Escalades, Excursions and other 7 seat premium SUVs on the market.

Now all they need to do is make their cars fun to drive again. (Read figure out electric steering feel).
I refer to my F31 as "The ultimate synthetic BMW driving experience" its the ultra suede of BMW's. I HATE it. Its days are numbered - it will be turning into an SQ5...
__________________
16 435i xdrive Msport MPerformance 2 Ind Azurite on Opal
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 10:35 AM   #38
aas5
Captain
128
Rep
796
Posts

Drives: 2020 X7 M50
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

I hope that x7 will drive better than its comps. I test drove GL550 last year a number of times(as I was seriously considering it to replace my x6) and it gave me a lot less comfort with being able to handle speed than I anticipated. Not confidence inspiring for sure.
__________________
2020 X7 M50 White Mineral with Ivory & Blue
Sold: 2017 X6M Long Beach Blue with Mugello Red, 2014 X6M Monte Carlo Blue with Mugello Red, 2011 X6 5.0 Black on Black, 2008 E350 4Matic Silver, 2006 Infiniti M45 Diamond Graphite
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 01:40 PM   #39
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
1236
Rep
2,758
Posts

Drives: M
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: bmw

iTrader: (0)

Makes sense if your have 3+ kids.

Where I live, I see moms driving the big GL's everywhere.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 03:47 PM   #40
Dackelone
European Editor
Dackelone's Avatar
Germany
9436
Rep
23,008
Posts

Drives: N54 e82
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bayern, Germany

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aas5 View Post
I hope that x7 will drive better than its comps. I test drove GL550 last year a number of times(as I was seriously considering it to replace my x6) and it gave me a lot less comfort with being able to handle speed than I anticipated. Not confidence inspiring for sure.
Not to bad mouth MB products but...
Name:  Mercedes-ML-Coup-Erlkoenig-1200x800-16b36626270cfcba.jpg
Views: 1825
Size:  238.7 KB

Name:  Mercedes-ML-Coup-Erlkoenig-1200x800-374aa79c70e63b5a.jpg
Views: 1976
Size:  263.3 KB

Name:  Mercedes-ML-Coup-Erlkoenig-1200x800-ab57ac10f70953f0.jpg
Views: 2045
Size:  268.9 KB

The thing with BMW products are they absolutely nail the driving dynamics every time. Best in acceleration, braking, handling and overall driver feel/confidence. MB might have a little more luxury and Audi better interiors... but there is a reason why I love BMWs and that because it IS a drivers car.

Dackel
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 06:06 PM   #41
clbmw
Major
574
Rep
1,479
Posts

Drives: 320d M135i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

What a shame they have to add weights to a 7 series... Unless of course that means the 7 is exceptionally light
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2014, 07:53 AM   #42
BMWAELBILAL
New Member
United_States
3
Rep
28
Posts

Drives: BMW M5
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: CINCINNATI OHIO

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWAELBILAL View Post
wait is this a BMW 7 series or the new BMW X7
X7 chassis/drivetrain - hidden by using the body shell of a 7er on top of it.
why
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 04:46 PM   #43
Danconia
Private First Class
Danconia's Avatar
United_States
21
Rep
119
Posts

Drives: G11
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: McLean, VA

iTrader: (0)

SCOTT26 could you possibly provide a time frame for the X7 release? Our growing family is in need of a true seven seater and I personally am trying very hard to keep the misses away from the MB GL550, with us being a long time BMW family.

Will the US market be getting the LWB X5 or just China?

Thank you for all of the insight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
That is because it is an old X5 prototype.
The X7 is not using its actual body yet. But will soon.

There is some extended X5 mules heading to Spatanburg...@ @Palbay be mindful...

Very soon all X vehicles will be offered with standard and extended wheelbases with up to seven seats. Starting with the X1 and then the X3.

This is the latest X7 render. But do not be alarmed. This is not the actual car.
Its just an extended X5.
__________________
2019 X7
2016 G11
2009 E60 M5
2008 E90 M3 - Gone
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 04:46 PM   #44
aajami
Brigadier General
aajami's Avatar
United_States
402
Rep
4,576
Posts

Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Not to bad mouth MB products but...
Attachment 1105484

Attachment 1105485

Attachment 1105486

The thing with BMW products are they absolutely nail the driving dynamics every time. Best in acceleration, braking, handling and overall driver feel/confidence. MB might have a little more luxury and Audi better interiors... but there is a reason why I love BMWs and that because it IS a drivers car.

Dackel
Why does the license plate read "MISUSE"? Is this a platform that MB abuses the hell out of as part of their testing?
__________________
'09 E92 M3: Space Gray, Black, Carbon Leather | ZTP 2MK ZPP 2MT 6FL | link 1 / link 2
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:04 PM.




xbimmers
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST