BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Off-road package vs. Active Comfort Drive with Road Preview

12-02-2018, 10:36 PM   #1
djp714
Rep
Drives: X5

Off-road package vs. Active Comfort Drive with Road Preview

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I noticed I can't configure the X7 5.0 with both Off-road package and Dynamic Handling package.

I could add Off-road and individually add M sport brakes, Integral Active Steering, M differential (also included in Off-road package). Issue is I can't add Active Comfort Drive with Road Preview if I add the Off-road package.

Is it better to get the Off-road package or Active Comfort Drive with Road Preview? I don't plan on serious off roading but often takes it up to the mountain during heavy snow / ice. I'm assuming the off-road package could come in handy.

Active Comfort Drive with Road Preview is also interesting since the drive up the mountain is windy and I'm assuming the option could help with comfort.

Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 11:38 PM   #2
like2short
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 m3

if you driven in heavy snow and Ice get real winter tires for those occasions.

I'd get the dynamic handling package as you'd use this more often living in Bay Area.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2018, 06:18 AM   #3
hoffmeister
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5, 2016 M4, 2015 X5 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by like2short View Post
if you driven in heavy snow and Ice get real winter tires for those occasions.

I'd get the dynamic handling package as you'd use this more often living in Bay Area.
Agree. My past practice is keep a second set of rims with winter tires. X5 was a beast with these on long snowy drives from downstate-updtate NY and I’d expect no less with X7.

Went with dynamic handling for this as well.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2018, 10:34 PM   #4
djp714
Rep
Drives: X5

I agree day to day in the bay area, the dynamic handling would be better. But the off-road could be nice option to have when handling the occasional nasty Lake Tahoe snow conditions, especially when it's not plowed.

Does the dynamic handling package allow height adjustment on the suspension?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 04:04 PM   #5
like2short
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by djp714 View Post
I agree day to day in the bay area, the dynamic handling would be better. But the off-road could be nice option to have when handling the occasional nasty Lake Tahoe snow conditions, especially when it's not plowed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djp714 View Post

1. Get the electronic locking diff! Anything you can do to help traction mechanically is good! I'd rather have more mechanical grip than an electronic aid. It looks like both the dynamic package and the off road package get the M sport diff for the 50i. I think I'd go with the dynamic package in your case. Just because you will use it more.

2. I think so since air suspension is standard.
Appreciate 0